Start by marking “Seconds” as Want to Read:
Seconds

Seconds

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  14 reviews
What would you give up for a second chance?

Antiochus Wilson is completely and utterly bored with his life, until he receives the call that changes everything. When the voice on the other end of the line promises him excitement, wealth, and happiness, he is more than a little intrigued.

Arriving at a hastily scrawled address, Wilson discovers a mysterious and exclusive organ
Published January 8th 2013 by Harper Voyager (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Seconds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seconds

Bert
A moreish tale of early 60s paranoia with a jazzy premise - aging banker gets 'reborn' with a new identity as a hip painter and a hot new bod - sadly, it is relentlessly serious-face, trying hard to be an Orwellian commentary on identity, totalitarianism and the dehumanisation of corporate culture and technology yada yada... all the time you're kinda just hoping he'll relax and go with it. Dude, you're an artist with a frikkin beach-front house and naked life-models throwing themselves at you, d ...more
Janine Zachariae
Es war ein seltsames Lesen.
Nennen wir den Protagonisten "Wilson" - denn so heißt er etwas später.
Doch bon Vorne.
Wilson wird von einem Freund angerufen, der erst einige zuvor gestorben ist.
Dieser Freund erzählt ihm, dass er nicht wirklich tot sei, sondern es nur vortäuschte.
Blieb aber über vieles andere eher kryptisch.
Eines Tages erhielt Wilson einen Zettel mit einer Adresse. Er folgt den Anweisungen, ohne wirklich zu wissen was los ist.
Er gelangt über mehrere Etappen in "die Firma", dort wi
David
I saw the great John Frankenheimer movie of this novel in the
1960s and then went out and got the book. It is an excellent
thriller about a middle-aged man who gets to be "reborn" as
someone who looks like Rock Hudson and who is an artist in
Malibu with no obligations to nobody. Perfect? Well...
Tonight I saw the movie again...
Alex Telander
Originally released in 1963, and made into a movie starring Rock Hudson in 1966, David Ely’s short science fiction book has been rereleased in 2013, and feels destined to be remade into a scifi summer blockbuster. While at times the novel feels very dated, there are many themes in the book that resonate with today’s reader and everything going on in the world.

Antiochus Wilson has the classic sixties life: a decent job which he has done well in and climbed the ranks, making a decent wage; at home
Stephen
A very solid read, extremely well written and deftly executed. I'm perplexed by the low aggregate rating.

I have seen the movie a few times (before having read the book) and it is also very good. There did seem (to me) a feeling of the film version being a bit dated, very California 60s.

Somehow this was not as prominent (at least not to me) in the novel. Though I knew where things were headed, the author was expert at creating an atmosphere of anxious menace and doom.
Intplibrarian
Wow. This really sucked.

A great idea for a Twilight episode. As a novel? I'm too tired right now to look up when it was written. The extreme sexism makes me at least hope it was a long time ago. It's obvious how everything will turn out which isn't alone a bad thing.... the writing was dull, the sexism was distracting. The IDEA was great, which is why I thought as a Twilight episode it would have succeeded, because the timing would have been obvious.

I wish I remembered how/why I downloaded this
Ricky Kimsey
The Basis Of A Classic Movie

This novel became the basis of one of Rock Hudson's best movies. A middle age banker is given a second chance at life by a mysterious organization.
Evan
It isn't as good as the movie and a few things are left unanswered but it's still interesting and believably written!
Stefan Rhys
One of the few instances I can honestly say the book was not as good as the film. Frankenheimer's film is an unsung classic, and finally receiving the acclaim and attention it deserves now that it has been released on the Criterion Collection.
Liz
I imagine this story seemed pretty cutting edge when it was published in the early 60's! Not so much now, but a fun quick read from a perspective of 50 years later. Might have to look for the film version starring Rock Hudson!
Dan Humphrey
A serviceable Sci-Fi thriller that inspired the great John Frankenheimer film. I might have liked it better had I not seen the classic movie first.
Tonya
Chilling book that makes real the saying, "Be careful what you wish for ..."

It's short and to the point. Is also a great film.
Erin
I thought it was very well written! Great storyline, and almost believable, like The Matrix for 1960s. Excellent.
Huluriasquias
A bit staid but quite interesting. I vaguely remember the movie.
Nikolas Kalar
Nikolas Kalar marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
∀. R.
∀. R. marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Carol Judge
Carol Judge marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Pamela
Pamela added it
May 21, 2015
Bron
Bron added it
May 17, 2015
Tim Snow
Tim Snow marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Atit Patel
Atit Patel marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
  • High Concept: Don Simpson and the Hollywood Culture of Excess
  • The Dead That Walk: Flesh-Eating Stories
  • Grimbold's Other World
  • Faith Creation, All Lies Revealed
  • Small Acts of Resistance: How Courage, Tenacity, and Ingenuity Can Change the World
  • Eternal Marriage Student Manual
  • Prisoner of Glass
  • Yellow Moon
A Journal Of The Flood Year Time Out Always Home and Other Stories The Tour Walking Davis