Start by marking “Seconds” as Want to Read:
Seconds

Seconds

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  130 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
What would you give up for a second chance?

Antiochus Wilson is completely and utterly bored with his life, until he receives the call that changes everything. When the voice on the other end of the line promises him excitement, wealth, and happiness, he is more than a little intrigued.

Arriving at a hastily scrawled address, Wilson discovers a mysterious and exclusive organ
Published January 8th 2013 by Harper Voyager (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Seconds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seconds

Jack Tripper
description

(Here's the cover of the 1965 Four Square Books mass-market edition)
Bert
Jan 17, 2014 Bert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A moreish tale of early 60s paranoia with a jazzy premise - aging banker gets 'reborn' with a new identity as a hip painter and a hot new bod - sadly, it is relentlessly serious-face, trying hard to be an Orwellian commentary on identity, totalitarianism and the dehumanisation of corporate culture and technology yada yada... all the time you're kinda just hoping he'll relax and go with it. Dude, you're an artist with a frikkin beach-front house and naked life-models throwing themselves at you, d ...more
Janine Zachariae
Es war ein seltsames Lesen.
Nennen wir den Protagonisten "Wilson" - denn so heißt er etwas später.
Doch bon Vorne.
Wilson wird von einem Freund angerufen, der erst einige zuvor gestorben ist.
Dieser Freund erzählt ihm, dass er nicht wirklich tot sei, sondern es nur vortäuschte.
Blieb aber über vieles andere eher kryptisch.
Eines Tages erhielt Wilson einen Zettel mit einer Adresse. Er folgt den Anweisungen, ohne wirklich zu wissen was los ist.
Er gelangt über mehrere Etappen in "die Firma", dort wi
David
Jan 01, 2009 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw the great John Frankenheimer movie of this novel in the
1960s and then went out and got the book. It is an excellent
thriller about a middle-aged man who gets to be "reborn" as
someone who looks like Rock Hudson and who is an artist in
Malibu with no obligations to nobody. Perfect? Well...
Tonight I saw the movie again...
Alex Telander
Originally released in 1963, and made into a movie starring Rock Hudson in 1966, David Ely’s short science fiction book has been rereleased in 2013, and feels destined to be remade into a scifi summer blockbuster. While at times the novel feels very dated, there are many themes in the book that resonate with today’s reader and everything going on in the world.

Antiochus Wilson has the classic sixties life: a decent job which he has done well in and climbed the ranks, making a decent wage; at home
Stephen
Mar 23, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very solid read, extremely well written and deftly executed. I'm perplexed by the low aggregate rating.

I have seen the movie a few times (before having read the book) and it is also very good. There did seem (to me) a feeling of the film version being a bit dated, very California 60s.

Somehow this was not as prominent (at least not to me) in the novel. Though I knew where things were headed, the author was expert at creating an atmosphere of anxious menace and doom.
Intplibrarian
Jan 14, 2014 Intplibrarian rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook
Wow. This really sucked.

A great idea for a Twilight episode. As a novel? I'm too tired right now to look up when it was written. The extreme sexism makes me at least hope it was a long time ago. It's obvious how everything will turn out which isn't alone a bad thing.... the writing was dull, the sexism was distracting. The IDEA was great, which is why I thought as a Twilight episode it would have succeeded, because the timing would have been obvious.

I wish I remembered how/why I downloaded this
Ricky Kimsey
Jun 19, 2015 Ricky Kimsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Basis Of A Classic Movie

This novel became the basis of one of Rock Hudson's best movies. A middle age banker is given a second chance at life by a mysterious organization.
Evan
Feb 01, 2014 Evan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It isn't as good as the movie and a few things are left unanswered but it's still interesting and believably written!
Terry Chess
Aug 22, 2016 Terry Chess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always wanted to read this because I loved the movie. I was not disappointed. The only thing that was a letdown was the ending. I thought the movie, with Rock Hudson as the "reborn" man, had a more terrifying climax. In that sense, it was an improvement over the novel's ending. All things considered, though, I recommend this story highly. It will haunt you.
Jose lana
Oct 14, 2015 Jose lana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A bizarre story over the change of identity with unexpected final
Stefan Rhys
One of the few instances I can honestly say the book was not as good as the film. Frankenheimer's film is an unsung classic, and finally receiving the acclaim and attention it deserves now that it has been released on the Criterion Collection.
Liz
Jul 21, 2013 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I imagine this story seemed pretty cutting edge when it was published in the early 60's! Not so much now, but a fun quick read from a perspective of 50 years later. Might have to look for the film version starring Rock Hudson!
Dan Humphrey
A serviceable Sci-Fi thriller that inspired the great John Frankenheimer film. I might have liked it better had I not seen the classic movie first.
Tonya
Jan 09, 2008 Tonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chilling book that makes real the saying, "Be careful what you wish for ..."

It's short and to the point. Is also a great film.
Erin
Nov 30, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was very well written! Great storyline, and almost believable, like The Matrix for 1960s. Excellent.
Huluriasquias
A bit staid but quite interesting. I vaguely remember the movie.
Margo Channing
Margo Channing rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Renee Leech
Renee Leech marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Jerrie
Jerrie rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2016
Lyndon Johnson
Lyndon Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
M.v.Mendoza
M.v.Mendoza rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Keith Chalk
Keith Chalk marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
April Lacher
April Lacher rated it did not like it
May 27, 2016
Kudubundu
Kudubundu is currently reading it
May 18, 2016
Scott Love
Scott Love is currently reading it
May 07, 2016
Am
Am rated it did not like it
Apr 22, 2016
Roland Swedlund
Roland Swedlund marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
  • Red Alert
  • Levels: The Host
  • Cap'n Smudge
  • High Concept: Don Simpson and the Hollywood Culture of Excess
  • Return to Mars (Barsoom, #4-6)
  • Red
  • Lethal Harvest (Bioethics #1)
  • Fall of the Citizens: A Novel
  • Start It Up: Why Running Your Own Business is Easier Than You Think
  • Crawlers
  • Storm Damage
  • The Corpse Who Kills (Fantômas #3)
  • The Mystic Travelogues