The Perfect Treat: Heart-warming Short Stories for Winter Nights

The Perfect Treat: Heart-warming Short Stories for Winter Nights

2.83 of 5 stars 2.83  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Heart-warming short stories for cold winter nights…

Featuring short stories from Sunday Times bestselling authors Miranda Dickinson and Claudia Carroll and highly anticipated debuts from Mhairi McFarlane and Liz Trenow, this collection is the ultimate treat.

Each short story is followed up by exclusive extracts of each of the authors upcoming titles.

Love, Loss and Coffee Cak...more
Published September 17th 2012 by Avon

Book-shelf Shelf
This is a perfect treat in bite sizes for book lovers and non readers alike. The short stories from fantastic authors to make you swoon, ahhh and ohhh. It is a perfect book for people that find books overwhelming or only like to read bite size chunks.
Each story takes the reader on a different journey and each author also shares an extract from their latest book.

I was lucky and found this on my kindle, not sure where it came from or when, but i am glad i found it and one thing is for sure.... i...more
Lucinda
A tantalizingly tempting treat for Christmas that will melt the heart and fill one with joy and optimism!

This special treat is filled with five different short stories, each with their own unique message and inner meaning. Containing teasers and short features by Sunday Times bestselling authors, this brilliant book is a great seasonal read and fabulous chick-lit treasure trove. Including also exclusive extracts of each author’s upcoming titles, you will certainly find other works of fiction to...more
Terrie
This book was free when I downloaded it, but if I had I paid for it, I would have felt cheated. At least 50% of the book is previews of novels by the 5 short story authors. I skipped over these, although I did look up book reviews of some of them elsewhere.

I was split over the short stories themselves. I like having something I can read in a half hour break and all these stories fitted that criteria. The first few stories I really enjoyed, although they were predictable and written to a formula...more
Hannah Victoria
I enjoyed these stories a lot, perfect for a spare 10 minutes. I didn't realise when I bought it that it also containted beginning chapters from the author's current books too, but I didn't really mind this and it added a lot of new titles to my to-read list!

The editing was far less than perfect though, and was the main thing that annoyed me. But other than that, the stories were quick, easy reads meant to make you smile and escape.
Fiona
Lovely collection of short stories from popular authors. I disliked the "hard sell" with the initial chapters from the author's next book. It is something I never read as it doesn't encourage me to buy it and if it was something I bought I hate to re read the start of a book. Those chapters were longer than the stories themselves!
Nell
This was a mixed bag. Each short story was accompanied by an excerpt from the authors upcoming or most recent novel. Editing was surprisingly patchy and there was a mixture of quality in the shorts and in the excerpts. On balance while it was a nice idea, it didn't work very well.
Lynnette
This is a collection of 5 short story's, each followed by an extract from each of the authors recent book publications. The stories were OK but not as engaging as I would like. Not the best book of short stories I've read. Disappointing.
Kathryn Parry
Two different stories so far, sweet and festive. Oh the third was a little sad, not the Christmas feeling I was looking for. Okay the forth was depressing. Lol the last one was priceless, this is worth picking up just for the last one.
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
5 bite-sized stories all with the common these of Christmas. Some to make you smile, some to make a lump in your throat, all with the feeling of human compassion. Also includes a chapter on each author's next available novel.
Anastasia
Perfect for the cold chilly winters as it can make you warm and snuggly in the stories themselves. The stories could have been more grasping but it was an enjoyable book that you can read with a cup of hot cocoa by the fire.
Jodie Lenton
This book was ok but I kind of felt it was more like an advert for the authors newly released books. The short stories were entertaining enough though for my train ride home from work.
Adele
Great little wintry stories. I particularly enjoyed The Twelve Lies of Christmas by Mhairi McFarlane, very funny and oh so true. I'm going to make You Had Me at Hello as my next read.
Kimberley Jones
i downloaded this book as it was a freebie, but gave up after the first short story. it was ok, but nothing special and left me with no desire to want to read the others.
Emma
I liked these little stories as something a little different from what I usually read, there were some I liked more than other s like many other reviewers.
Caz Lopez
Only got 2 stars the short stories were very very short most of the book consisted of previews of the authors New books. waste of time really.
Annie
Not particularly impressed by this one...poor editing, and just an advert for new books along with some rather lacklustre short stories.
Leanne Scott
There were some good short stories in this book,some stories I did not want to end,too short!!
Heather
Some really heatwarming short stories!

Plus a few more books added to my "To read" lists!
Bev
Enjoyed the short stories but the had already read most of the books that had exerts.
Amanda
Perfect length if you are looking for quick reads :-) Some heart warming stories.
Georgina
I really enjoyed this!
A nice mix of stories...Brilliant! :)
Lexy
It was ok. For free I can't complain
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Kirsty
Kirsty marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Kimberley doruyter
Kimberley doruyter marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Hwang Soo
Hwang Soo marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Miranda Dickinson has always had a head full of stories. Coming from a creative family where stories and songs were always present, it was perhaps inevitable that she would end up adoring words. A songwriter for over 15 years, Miranda has successfully penned over thirty songs, delivering both live and recorded performances in a range of venues across the UK and Europe. Her first solo project album...more
More about Miranda Dickinson...
Fairytale of New York It Started With A Kiss... Welcome to My World When I Fall In Love Take A Look At Me Now