Start by marking “The Quiet Book” as Want to Read:
The Quiet Book

The Quiet Book

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  2,863 ratings  ·  336 reviews
All quiet is not created equal. In this irresistibly charming picture book, many different quiet moments are captured, from the anticipation-heavy “Top of the roller coaster quiet” to the shocked-into-silence “First look at your new hairstyle quiet.” The impossibly sweet bears, rabbits, fish, birds, and iguanas are all rendered in soft pencils and colored digitally, and, a...more
Published April 12th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Quiet Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quiet Book

Lisa Vegan
I really liked In a Blue Room but I’m not usually a fan of “go to bed” or otherwise “quiet down” books.

I loved everything about this book. Every page is precious. Kids will appreciate all the different kinds of quiet and can think up some of their own. The illustrations are perfect. This is a good bedtime or anytime book.

The “story” goes from waking in the morning to bedtime, with what could be an extremely full day in-between, but they’re probably activities during many days.

I read it then I im...more
Tasha
There are many kind of quiet. Quiet can cozy. Quiet can be tense. Quiet can be worth savoring. Quiet can be gone in a flash. This book celebrates the many kinds of quiet, offering examples of the many moments of quiet in a day. Starting with the quiet of being the first one awake, the book ends with the quiet of being sound asleep. In between, readers will find examples of quiet that are funny, surprising and poignant. This is a simple premise executed with great finesse.

Underwood’s one-per-page...more
babyhippoface
If you asked a child (or an adult, for that matter) how many kinds of quiet there are, I think they'd shoot you a quizzical stare. How many kinds of quiet? What does that mean? Share this book with him, and he'll understand.

The quiet you experience when you're the first person up in the morning feels different than the quiet you experience when you're playing hide-and-seek, or the quiet you experience when you're following your teacher to the principal's office because you're busted, or the qui...more
Hattie
Nov 09, 2010 Hattie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all

Shhhh, I have to write this book review with complete quietness around me. Otherwise, my love for THE QUIET BOOK BY DEBORAH UNDERWOOD will become completely smothered by the boom of drums, the bang of a door or the ting a ling of the telephone. I must write quickly because noise seems to have more muscle than silence. Although quietness is made up of snowflakes, Hide and Seek and that sinking quiet feeling when you are the last one to be picked up from school, it is easy to miss the beauty of it...more
Luann
What a great idea for a book! I'm thinking of using this to read aloud to my class at the beginning of the school year. I love the concept of different types of quiets. Some of my favorites in the book are: "swimming underwater quiet," "first snow fall quiet" and "story time quiet" - probably because they all bring back such great memories. When I read it to my students I'll have them come up with their own list of "quiets."
Jeanette
So cute! Some pages made us giggle, some were just so sweet and some made us sigh with contentment. Okay, when I say "us" I should say "me."
My kids just thought the whole thing was kinda silly. "All those different kinds of quiet, that's just silly!" Said the 5 year old. Maybe that is because he has an aversion to being quiet at anytime, for any reason. But it has been oft requested this week so I think they really do like it. Silly or not.
Oh, and I feel like I say this a lot, but I loved, love...more
Kathryn
I loved this book! I was concerned it wouldn't live up to the hype but, gosh, I just want to give it a big hug. I appreciate the various sorts of "quiet" that are accentuated in the text, but it is the illustrations that really won me over. They are absolutely sooo adorable without being "too precious"--there is a deep heart and sense of artistry to each illustration and they are just so sweet and so much fun! I delight in the variety of woodland creatures we get to meet, too.

Three cheers for s...more
Ellen
Awwwwww. Love this book. Illustrations are sweet and whimsical. You gotta see this one yourself.
Angela Bailey
Title / Author / Publication Date:
The Quiet Book. / Deborah Underwood. Renata Liwska (ill.) / 2010.

Genre: Fiction.

Format: Picturebook - online.

Plot summary:
"From the quiet of being the first one awake in the morning to 'sweet dreams quiet' when the last light is turned off, simple text explores the many kinds of quiet that can exist during the day" (NoveList).

Considerations or precautions for readers advisory:
quietness, sound, animals

Review citation:
"White space is used creatively to emphasize...more
Lindsay Rains
Underwood, D. (2010). The Quiet Book. New York: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children.

E.B. White Read Aloud Award Honor Book (2011)
Society of Illustrators Original Art Award Gold Medal (2010)

Concept Book

This picture book discusses the different types of quiet and uses different animals to illustrate the types of quiet. There is not a lot of wording and the font is average in size. The illustrations use more neutral tones of colors and they have a childlike feel to them. This picture book can be us...more
Nancy
Brilliant collection of quiet, with delicate illustrations you want to stare at so you don't miss anything.
This was the perfect launch for list-poem writing with Mrs. LaVielle's 5 and 6 year olds:

Quiet Poem

Flower growing quiet
Library quiet
Brain thinking quiet
Rain sprinkle quiet
Turtle quiet
Hair without beads quiet
Cat looking quiet
Staring at crazy ladies quiet
Whispering inside quiet
Tiptoe quiet

(Thank you, Becky, for the recommendation!)

KidsFiction Teton County Library
Teton County Library Call No: J Picture Underwood D
Kay's Rating: 5 Stars

This book is a quiet one, yet one that you don't want to miss; so I'll give it a shout out. I love the descriptive sentences about the many kinds of quiets. The author loves "cat sleeping on your stomach quiet" and "smelling lilacs quiet." I do too.
Crystal Marcos
The artwork in this book was awesome. It reminded me of an animation movie. I could picture these adorable animals moving around this book. I never thought of how many types of "quiet" there were. There are many! I smiled, I giggled, I said aweee, and it made me think of my little girl. Definitely a winner!
Julie
I loved this book. It seems to me to be an example of a perfect picture book. There is sparse, simple, yet evocative language, and illustrations that add their own extra elements and humour to the story along the way. You have to see it for yourself. Gorgeous.
Danielle
The Quiet Book is a book about all the different reasons a person might be quiet. This book brings to a persons attention that there is not just a couple reasons to be quiet, that there are actually several, many more than a person would at first think. Each quite described in this book is a relatable quiet. When reading this book memories of when a person has been that certain type of quiet floods back to memory. This is a great book to use at the beginning of the year when setting up classroom...more
Rebecca
Adorable alert! Soft, fuzzy animals in this small, simple book show the many different kinds of quiet (first snowfall quiet; car ride at night quiet). Begins with waking up and ends with sleeping. Perfect.
Angie
Oh how sweet! Not in a syrupy way, but in a gentle way. This book shares different kinds of quiet. I was amazed at how powerful the examples were---very effective at evoking different types of emotion.
Keely
So, Deborah, is a dear friend of mine, but still...this book is stunning!
So sweet and quiet and beautifully crafted -- grab a first edition if you can, this is an instant classic!
Clare Cannon
May 16, 2011 Clare Cannon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4-10 years
Shelves: 04-8yrs
This is the kind of picture book I like... there's a magic in how it expresses all the different types of quiet that children know.
Juli Ryan
This is a charming picture book. Renata Liwska's illustrations are beautiful. Ages 4 to 6 will love this book.
Colleen
A lot of the scenarios truly strike a cord. I found myself thinking "I know just what kind of quiet that is."
M'Lissa
lovely! A great one on one book.

Don't think the pictures carry well enough for storytime
Rosalie Street
I want to give this book 10 stars !
This book is beautiful, every child should have a copy.
Janell
beautifully written
Quiet the kids at storytime
One of the Best Books of the Year SLJ
Akemi
Absolutely lovely illustrations with so much charm & appeal.
Mary
A book to buy and keep for when I have grandchildren.
meg
sweet and whimsical. lovely illustrations. awww-inducing.
Victoria Long
The perfect bedtime story! The unique list of all the types of quiet we have is perfect for any winding down time. Renata Liwska has created precious animals to show each type of quiet with an array of species. Deborah Underwood makes a lost of scenarios that you can't help but agree with, from "top of the roller coaster quiet" to " hide and seek quiet" and "lollipop quiet." You'll find yourself nodding in agreement as we all have experienced each of these quiets. These adorable animals will be...more
Michelle
So adorable, I can't stand it!
  • Brontorina
  • A Book of Sleep
  • Art & Max
  • How Rocket Learned to Read
  • Farm
The Loud Book! Here Comes the Easter Cat The Christmas Quiet Book Bad Bye, Good Bye A Balloon for Isabel