Start by marking “Up and Down with the Rolling Stones” as Want to Read:
Up and Down with the Rolling Stones

Up and Down with the Rolling Stones

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  689 ratings  ·  48 reviews
A biography of the Rolling Stones.
Published March 1st 1996 by Blake Publishing (first published August 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Up and Down with the Rolling Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up and Down with the Rolling Stones

Life by Keith RichardsFaithfull by Marianne FaithfullUp and Down with the Rolling Stones by Tony SánchezStone Alone by Bill WymanRolling with the Stones by Bill Wyman
The Rolling Stones
3rd out of 37 books — 14 voters
No One Here Gets Out Alive by Danny SugermanThe Dirt by Tommy LeeThe Heroin Diaries by Nikki SixxScar Tissue by Anthony KiedisThe Long Hard Road Out of Hell by Marilyn Manson
Best Books on Rock and Roll
227th out of 495 books — 879 voters

More lists with this book...

I read this when I was 14 years old, in 1979. There was no internet, very little insider material for young guys and girls to connect to to understand what was really happening in this almost-fantasy world of rock'n'roll royalty.

I got the book from my old man for Christmas, and didn't move from my sub-tropically heated, sweaty bedroom (and in Brisbane, Australia at Christmas time it is hot and humid).

The stories are sleazy, vindictive, unreliable, and there is plenty of self-pity from Sanchez t
This is my before-bed book, so it's going to go super slow. I'm just putting it up here for, like, total disclosure. Beatles aside, I'm not a rock-book person. This was a recommendation from a friend, though, and seems like a pretty wild, fat, sweet ride.

Okay, so, as I said before, aside from a bunch of books on The Beatles as a teenager, I've never been a reader of "rock" books or "rock-u-drama" books or "My Life With [name of celebrity]" books or whatever. This dealie was reco
Despite the 3 rating you can't be a Stones fan if you haven't read this.
Written by small-time gangster 'Spanish Tony' who became Richards' consigliere cum dogsbody and proprietor of the Stones' London club 'Vesuvios'. I think you get the gist.

I should add, this is the first e-book I've read. I don't have a Kindle but it was $2.90 and immediate or $15 and four weeks postage so as I needed it as research towards a deadline I took the e-book version and read it on Kindle Reader for MacBook. Once I put it in two-column format, with white text on black background, it wa
Mary Foxgrover
Even though Keith claims this dude is lying, but I read it when I was 13 and I remember eating it up!
Carol Storm
Terrible, terrible book -- a sleazy pusher cashing in on a few nasty stories of the greatest band in history!!!

It's one thing to have Red and Sonny West write a book like ELVIS: WHAT HAPPENED. They were with Elvis from before he got famous. They knew his roots, knew his values, were Southern men who literally spoke the same language. And they didn't push dope, even if they took pills with Elvis from time to time.

But this book . . . eeeeeesh. It's not so much that Tony Sanchez was a parasite who
East Bay J
Up And Down With The Rolling Stones is a sort of gossipy, soap opera affair in the vein of I’m With The Band. “Spanish” Tony Sanchez is not much of a writer and, as a result, the whole thing’s a bit tedious. He lapses between tenses in a distracting way and the narrative is so disjointed, it’s hard to take anything from it. SpanTo makes a lot of really bizarre statements as well. Like, “No coke user ever fully comprehends at first a very simple fact – every snort of this beautiful, uplifting dru ...more
This is a book about staying away from the Rolling Stones if you want to live. Actually, it's a book about the Stones written by the guy who provided them with drugs for like 30 years, but swears he never sold drugs. Also, he never used a needle...until he DID use a needle later in the book. It's hard to know what's true, but if only half of it is it's still testimony to what a waste of skin the Stones have been throughout their long careers. They wrote great songs, and showed the world what reb ...more
Paul Stevenson
I see a lot of people claiming Keith called Sanchez out as a liar but that's not what I read in Rolling Stone when Keith was interviewed in 1981, a few years after the book was published and here all these years later, Rolling Stone has the interview up on it's website. So, with Keith saying the actual facts are true, why slag the book? -

Rolling Stone Magazine: The Brian-Anita-Keith triangle is a centerpiece of Up and Down with the Rolling Stones, by Tony Sanchez, which came out in 1979. Sanche
Christine Hardy
Dude. Sex drugs & rock n' roll. Tony Sanchez seems a bit of a creep and I like Keith Richard's book waaaaaaay better, but it was still a good read - much more insight to Brian's demise.
A great, gossipy, malicious read. He does seem to be amazingly down on Anita Pallenberg though, which makes me wonder if anything passed between them besides her refusing to sleep with him.
Steven Peterson
Not a bad book--but not a great one either. Lots of inside dopester coverage of the Stones (e.g., drug use). I'm not sure that I got a great insight beyond their escapades. . . .
Pathetic. It was nothing more than Sanchez's attempt to justify his own existence. If you met Sanchez at a party, he'd be the name-dropper you'd want to punch in the face.
Nichole Gunn
Interesting take

This book overview was quite misleading. That said; it was a different perspective than what I would have normally downloaded, so it gave me a different view. It was definitely interesting and pretty cool to hear from a buddy who was along for the ride. Not a deep read, its really just one man's tale of life in the fast lane with Keith Richards.
Al Maki
If he's not a liar as Richards accused him, then Sanchez wrote a good chronicle of my generation. All the hope, the egotism,the selfishness, the waste, the pettiness are here. I think I'm finally over my fascination with The Stones. Richards' memoir is better written but I expect he could afford a better ghost writer.
Brad Zerkel
Not a very flattering look at Mick or Keith, or Brian but no real assaults on anyone else...I found it interesting, but then you have to remember the author is as big a junkie as lord knows if there is any truth to it...reads well as fiction or
Mick Jagger once said all the books about the Rolling Stones were either boring or untrue. This one certainly is not boring. Written by Tony Sanchez, who was Keith Richards drug dealer up through the late '70's, he paints an entertaining, but at times hard to believe tale of sex, drugs and hedonism. Spanish Tony, as Keith called him, portrait of Keith leaves you asking the same question over and over, how is Keith still alive? And this book was published in 1979! It has been said that when they ...more
Ave Lynn
Loved it. I've read other books about the Stones and from reading them and this book you can pretty much get to the bottom of what is true and what is not. This one seems very honest (Kieth R. himself said just that in his book LIFE) and being as he was Kieth's right hand man for a long length of time, just know he saw some sh*t. Tony Sanchez spent more time with Kieth and the Stones than that horrible, soul-less, morally bankrupt Anita Pallenberg -- this guy knows stuff. And I be ...more
Very illuminating about all the personalities involved in The Rolling Stones circle. The stuff about Anita Pallenberg was esp. enlightening and made me understand her better. Whew, the 60s were some crazy times. Part of me is envious I didn't live back then. What a wild ride. Love the Stones' music b/c even today, it is the music of rebellion, of going your own way and telling it like it is. Fun and gossipy, subjective. Liked it a lot.
Aug 22, 2015 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you
Alright.....druggie stories aside, and they are lavish and fantastic at this time in the 60's and 70's........., the loves and lifes and all the wonderful musically embued moments are worth the price of admission on this one. I read it 3 times over the first time around...but then, I am an aficianado of The Stones at all!
I read this book at about age 14. I was obsessed with the stones, and Keith particularly, so I quite enjoyed it. Assume much of it is embellished but many of the stories have been retold, some I remembered when I read Keith's recent autobiography, so there's some truth in here. I'm going to retread it some time.
Oct 14, 2008 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Rolling Stones fans, if there are any left
Shelves: rock-sleaze
Scandalous warts and all story of the Rolling Stones like no other. I'm surprised this thing got published. No book has described what a mess Brian Jones became prior to his death, jamming uppers and downers together in one fistful and then getting behind the wheel of his expensive car. You gotta get this one.
Jason Evans
Nov 13, 2007 Jason Evans rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: biography
Even if you are not a fan of the Stones, this book is an indepth look at the band during the height of their musical output and drug use. The book was written by the man who was responsible for obtaining heroin for Keith. The self destructive side of Richards is only outdone by his ability to live through it all.
some crazy, funny s**t! i like the tale of keith richards- loaded- off-roading his hydrofoil, chasing moat rats on the grounds of his english castle. "my best friend he shoots water rats & feeds them to his geese". nothing exceeds like excess!
I bought this at a local used bookstore. Kind of low-budget and salacious but won't surprise you if you know anything about the "real" Mick & Keith. Jan 2011 update: coming across this book on my shelf i feel dirty even owning it
Glorianne Roccanova
enjoyed this book, although i so think some tales were told with greater than history.....which is why i like to read a lot of books on the same i like to get as many point of views as i can...
This book is trashy, funny and fun, written by a former drug dealing friend of the stones. Its a classic in its own right, just don't go into it expecting to learn or even hear a lot about the stones's music.
Timothy Holst
First-douchebag meandering narrative soap opera cash-in by name-dropping semi-literate nobody. Some amusing anecdotes, however. Sadsack supplement to the vastly superior LIFE.
Stephen Sergio
read it back in the 80's. I found it entertaining ,however,I question the accuracy of the book. If your into soap operas this book my be up your ally.
Josh Hornik
60% about the drugs the Stones took. 20% about their girlfriends/wives. Only 5% about the music. Needed to be the reverse to interest me.
  • Stone Alone: The Story of a Rock 'n' Roll Band
  • 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Sky: The Life of Jimi Hendrix
  • Bob Dylan: A Biography
  • Faithfull
  • Old Gods Almost Dead: The 40-Year Odyssey of the Rolling Stones
  • What Would Keith Richards Do?: Daily Affirmations from a Rock and Roll Survivor
  • Backstage Passes & Backstabbing Bastards: Memoirs of a Rock 'n Roll Survivor