3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  609 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Do not get to know me. Do not ask me out. Do not love me. Be warned! I am Jinx. Jinx doesn't start out as Jinx -- at first she's dull, safe, boring Jen. Jen who always hands her homework in on time, Jen who never stays out late, Jen who can always be counted on. When Jen's first boyfriend dies, she thinks she's unlucky...until her second boyfriend dies too. Jen is Jinx now...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Walker Childrens (first published February 5th 2003)

Fiona McCandless
I absolutely loved this book. I first read it with my sister and a dear friend reading over my shoulder. I then have lovely memories of reading it to my best friend when we were about the age of 'Jinx's' character, and I then read it to my mother, who was so moved by the end of it that she was close to tears. It's that good.

The plain verse structure of this book is so easy to read, and adds a real artistic quality to the story. It also really allows the reader to get into the heads of the differ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Taylor Rector for TeensReadToo.com

Jinx (formerly Jen) has really bad luck with relationships - to say the least!

Her first boyfriend dies and she gets upset but eventually gets over it. Then her second boyfriend dies and now she is Jinx, not Jen. Her teachers, friends, and her parents all call her Jinx. She says that if you go out with her you will die.

Before she started dating, she was boring old Jen who never stayed out late and always turned her homework in on time. Now she is al...more
Dahlia
by: Margaret Wild

This book was different compared to what I typically read. The story was written in verses, similar to a poem. It is about a girl named Jen who has 'two sides'. Her good side is Jen and her changed side is Jinx. She thought of the name 'Jinx' because she thought that every boy she dated had died because of her. Ever since her first boyfriend, Charlie, died she was in grief and was depressed. Charlie died by committing suicide. He felt as if no one liked him. However, along...more
Litzy
Jinx is poetry book. It had great themes such as death and guilt. The main character has a couple of boyfriends though out the book. Her first one commits suicide, and she blames herself because she never had a clue. She thinks it was her fault because she should have known what was going on with him. The second one isn't really her boyfriend because she doesn't really like him,but when he ends up dying she feels like it is all her fault again ,and that she is a bad person, so she starts callin...more
Anthony Eaton
This is such a beautiful example of the craft of the verse novel for young adults; Wild - who is one of Australia's most diverse and gifted writers for both children and adults - draws us so completely into the world of her embattled protagonist, and uses the form and function of the verse novel to its fullest effect here; the switches in style, form and point-of-view all combine to reveal the layers of a life, rather than a straight out linear narrative. Her central characters are beautifully r...more
Rachel
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEMOOOOOOOOOOOOOO but interesting.
Katrina Ly
hmm..it was okay i guess, it was sad how not everyone got a happy ending, but i guess thats life.

i kind of liked the way it was written in poems though it took me a while to figure out the poems change perspective. so i was kinda confused throughout the start of the novel/collection of poems. i liked the unique-ness of the plot and the way it was written/expressed (i.e. in poems)

SPOILER ALERT

i wonder what happened to connor? did she tell her parents? and what about serena? didn't the author say...more
Hui Lin
Jen is the main character in this book. Her parents had divorced and her father remarried Stella. She had one sister, Grace, she has Down's Syndrome. Life is wonderful to Jen after she starts to date Charlie. They had been great together, but one day she had been tell that Charlie committed suicide. She then went wild for a while until she met Ben. Eventually she and Ben were together. But soon Ben was killed, because he had been called "SHORT" by a guy name Hal. After that, Jen renames herself...more
Amanda
I really enjoyed this book. It took me less than two hours to read as it is a story connected by a series of poems about a teenage girl, her family and friends, and the heart-ache that comes with growing up.
Wild uses several points of view in this novel and touches on issues of depression, broken homes, life as a teenager, life as an adult with kids, death, disability, truth, self-destruction, sexuality, single parents and more....
Definitely worth a read for something different. 4 Stars.
J
Sammi
Jinx by Margaret Wild. It captures your attention right from the beginning. I feel like I can connect to this girl, Jen.
Jen's first boyfriend died, maybe a little unlucky?
Jen's second boyfriend died, was it more than just being unlucky?
Since that day, Jen was called Jinx. Cursed, filled with bad luck.
Jen is lonely and can not seem to find closeness in people around her.
I said I can connect to that because I feel like sometimes in life, there are many hard times. Friends not being there for you w...more
Rodney
Jinx is a very creative book it is a poem so it ends quick.But she changist alot throught out the book.
The important thing about this book is about how Jinx expresses her feelings.In the hole book is pretty much about drama. Its all about jen "Jinx."She is very important in this book cause every thing that happens she has to do something with it.
One question i alwayst had through out the book was why does Jen change to a evil visios Jinx. After every thing that happend in her life she becomes...more
Matilda
Jinx is a story of a young girl Jen told through poetry.

Jen feels like her life is jinxed so she adopts the name jinx because she is suffering with the personal relationships in her life.

What I enjoyed about this book was that it wasn't always told through jens eyes, we also got to see glimpses of the other characters that are of importance to her.

The Bookologist
As Jen starts with her boyfriend, she's happy with him. But until some shocking news comes, she sad and hurt. That was her boyfriend who just died. Here is where the "JINX" part starts, she thinks she's unlucky but she soon finds out that she's "JINXed."

Margaret Wild's writing is awesome! She's great, she really knows how to make the readers feel the way the character feels. Her words were so bitter and so painful. I actually was shocked with some of the parts in the book. The way one of her boy...more
Cecilia Marie
I read this some time in middle school and I adored it. It influenced my own poetry... Which, in hindsight, was absolutely horrible, heh. I'd like to re-read this and see what I think of it now that I'm not an angsty teenager (I've graduated to angsty 20-something! Much different dynamic, I think!). When trying to source this book again, I described it as "full of morbid free-verse poetry, I think it was in a story format and switched perspectives". I don't remember any of the plot, though. I di...more
Kevin Fanning
I saw this at the library and picked it up because it's a novel told in (free) verse, which, hey, that sounds interesting. Gave up after ~40 pages.

The problem for me was that the poetry itself wasn't particularly good, or even engaging in and of itself. Why not just use a more fragmentary/episodic short fiction style?

(I mean, unless you're going to write a YA book about teen drauma IN the Cringe-style of Awful Teenage Poetry, which would be AWESOME. But this wasn't that.)

So I'm not convinced th...more
Denai Edwards
A novel written in poems, very sweet and depressing with a little hope at the end.
Elise
Interestingly written, some good poetry in parts.
Serene
This was a great poetry book. The theme was love and loss. An example is when her first boyfriend dies she is upset for along time thinks that it is her fault when it's not things like that that just happen sometimes. Another example is at the end when she realizes it is nit all her fault that is a form of forgivness. I think what the author was trying ti say in this book is that people die and it is not always your fault you need too get over it. I would recommend this book to ages 13 and up.
Diana
Jen is a high school girl who describes her life in poems. After two of her boyfriends die, Jen renames herself Jinx and struggles to come to terms with her grief.

Amazing. It was easy to read and understand and took on a myriad of issues: grief, suicide, parental indifference, homosexuality, divorce, and the difficulty of having a sibling who is handicapped. A very raw and real book. The differing points of view let us see how other people besides Jen/Jinx relate to the events of the story.
Hailey Story
Em
Its a great way to write the novel, at times i got confused but i found my way back.
I enjoyed how Margaret catpured each character in their own way and showed how they were felling.. well put together.

I was a bit upset knowing that both Charlie and Ben had died, Charlie im unsure why he did it and Ben its upsetting knowing that Hal had done it although it was accidental.

All together i just enjoyed it and glad this book took me 4-5 hours to read. FASTED READ EVER
Melissa He
Dec 17, 2009 Melissa He rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Teens
It's about a girl whose boyfriends seem to die one after another. Because of this, she calls herself, "Jinx". It's written in poems, instead of the usual text. I liked this book, I was able to see the situation in the book through multiple characters. I thought Jinx was an O.K. character, I was able to connect to her when people started to judge her. I would recommend it for other teens because the story's setting is in high school, which most of us can relate to.
Margo
This is a poetry book that had inappropriate language for middle school students as well as inappropriate themes. The entire plot was very unlikely and not believable. The main character seems like a silly girl who is just looking to grow up too quickly, and quite frankly, who has that many boyfriends in high school? The book is useful for teaching poetry styles, but the language and themes make it not appropriate for any school environment.
Michelle Adams
Loved it.
Brilliantly written, poetic verse concise and profound, shifts perspectives between characters.

My favourite:

"Jen doesn't know
her mother's secret.
She doesn't know
that at forty-two it's just as terrible
to be in love with someone
who might not love you
as it is at fourteen or seventeen or twenty-one.
She doesn't know
you're never too old for such yearning,
however fruitless,
humiliating."
Daniela
A very impressive young adult novel, written in verse and from various view points. It deals with some big topics like love and death, family and divorce, disability and acceptance, guilt and forgiveness - to name but a few. Wild chooses every word carefully and manages to piece together a novel that shows the dark places of the human soul as well as the light that we all hope is at the end of the tunnel.
Rachel
This book was intriguing. The story is written in poetic verse from different perspectives. This works very well for the serious content that the book covers. This is a great book about the hardships teens face growing up such as suicide, homosexuality, substance abuse, divorce, grief, handicaps, etc. It is unique because it show the parents' point of view as well. It was very well done and an easy read.
Sarah is Absolutely Crazed
I thought this book was and interesting, easy to read choice. What is interesting about this book is that it is set up like a series of poems each with their own title and stanzas. It took a little to get used to this format, but after a while I was reading the story fluently. Although I wish the book went into more detail but the plot line was very interesting. I finished this book in one evening. xD
Lindsay
This is what When She Hollers should/could have been. "Heavy" topics without the clunky dialogue.

This would be great for an English class to dissect in detail -- how much can be said with so little.

Told mostly from the perspective of Jen/Jinx, but also giving glimpses into the lives of her friends and family, Jinx reads more like poetry, than prose. Well done, Margaret Wild!
I thought that this book was a very good book, because it had lot meaning to it. I loved the poem because the poem are describing her and how she turns to boring to a jinx in a second. That says a lot about her school and her friend. I would recommend it.And The plot was that she want to get revenge on the kids that called her a jinx and that made her believe it to.
Mrs. Gallagher's ...: Novel in Verse Book Review 1 8 May 01, 2013 06:06PM
Mrs. Gallagher's ...: NICOLE'S BOOK REVIEW IN VERSE 1 5 Apr 30, 2013 04:31PM
NICOLE'S BOOK REVIEW IN VERSE 1 2 Apr 30, 2013 04:20PM
  • The Simple Gift
  • The Geography of Girlhood
  • Hugging the Rock
  • Broken
  • Fallout (The Phoenix Files, #5)
  • Remember Me & The Return Part I  (Remember Me #1-2)
  • A Bad Boy Can Be Good for a Girl
  • The Taking of Room 114
  • After the Death of Anna Gonzales
  • Goblin Fruit
  • Pieces of Georgia
  • Things Left Unsaid: A Novel in Poems
  • Equinox (The Rosie Black Chronicles, #2)
  • Thyla (Thyla, #1)
  • Splintering
  • Walking on Glass
  • The Weight of the Sky
  • Stop Pretending: What Happened When My Big Sister Went Crazy
Margaret Wild has written more than seventy books and has been published around the world. Her numerous awards and distinctions include the Children’s Book Council of Australia Picture Book of the Year Award for Jenny Angel, illustrated by Anne Spudvilas; The Very Best of Friends, illustrated by Julie Vivas; and Fox, illustrated by Ron Brooks. In 2008 she received the Nan Chauncy Award for an outs...more
More about Margaret Wild...
One Night Fox Woolvs in the Sitee Kiss Kiss! (Mini Edition) Harry & Hopper

“I read somewhere
that all this -
the people, the animals,
the mountains, the rivers -
is just God dreaming.
I wish he'd wake the fuck up.”
6 likes
“Jen's Mum Will Write

Jen's mum writes advertising copy.
She specializes in white goods:
washing machines, dryers, fridges,
freezers, dishwashers.
She hates these appliances
hulking
in corners,
power-hungry and fractious.
One day, she will have a wood stove,
and she'll write about things that matter-
she will write about birth and death,
about love and the absence of love,
about fathers and children,
about mothers and daughters,
about lovers and friends.
She'll write about the whole goddamn
wonderful, awful business
of loving and being loved”
2 likes