Start by marking “Jinx” as Want to Read:

Jinx

Do not get to know me. Do not ask me out. Do not love me. Be warned! I am Jinx. Jinx doesn't start out as Jinx -- at first she's dull, safe, boring Jen. Jen who always hands her homework in on time, Jen who never stays out late, Jen who can always be counted on. When Jen's first boyfriend dies, she thinks she's unlucky...until her second boyfriend dies too. Jen is Jinx now ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Walker Childrens (first published February 5th 2003)

Fiona McCandless
I absolutely loved this book. I first read it with my sister and a dear friend reading over my shoulder. I then have lovely memories of reading it to my best friend when we were about the age of 'Jinx's' character, and I then read it to my mother, who was so moved by the end of it that she was close to tears. It's that good.

The plain verse structure of this book is so easy to read, and adds a real artistic quality to the story. It also really allows the reader to get into the heads of the differ
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Taylor Rector for TeensReadToo.com

Jinx (formerly Jen) has really bad luck with relationships - to say the least!

Her first boyfriend dies and she gets upset but eventually gets over it. Then her second boyfriend dies and now she is Jinx, not Jen. Her teachers, friends, and her parents all call her Jinx. She says that if you go out with her you will die.

Before she started dating, she was boring old Jen who never stayed out late and always turned her homework in on time. Now she is al
Lynda Dickson
Jul 25, 2015 Lynda Dickson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 13+
Shelves: young-adult
Jen is good girl who becomes a troubled teen. All she wants is to be loved. But when her boyfriend Charlie dies in tragic circumstances, she starts drinking in order to escape. After a series of unfortunate accidents, Jen is nicknamed Jinx - "Jinx, they say, but she likes it and takes it as her new name." Will Jinx ever find happiness and find her way back to Jen?

This novel-in-verse is written in a simple, yet lyrical manner, and is full of interesting characters: Jen's father (the Rat) who aban
Dahlia
May 16, 2013 Dahlia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
by: Margaret Wild

This book was different compared to what I typically read. The story was written in verses, similar to a poem. It is about a girl named Jen who has 'two sides'. Her good side is Jen and her changed side is Jinx. She thought of the name 'Jinx' because she thought that every boy she dated had died because of her. Ever since her first boyfriend, Charlie, died she was in grief and was depressed. Charlie died by committing suicide. He felt as if no one liked him. However, along
Litzy
Apr 05, 2013 Litzy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jinx is poetry book. It had great themes such as death and guilt. The main character has a couple of boyfriends though out the book. Her first one commits suicide, and she blames herself because she never had a clue. She thinks it was her fault because she should have known what was going on with him. The second one isn't really her boyfriend because she doesn't really like him,but when he ends up dying she feels like it is all her fault again ,and that she is a bad person, so she starts callin ...more
Anthony Eaton
Jan 10, 2011 Anthony Eaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a beautiful example of the craft of the verse novel for young adults; Wild - who is one of Australia's most diverse and gifted writers for both children and adults - draws us so completely into the world of her embattled protagonist, and uses the form and function of the verse novel to its fullest effect here; the switches in style, form and point-of-view all combine to reveal the layers of a life, rather than a straight out linear narrative. Her central characters are beautifully r ...more
SR
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEMOOOOOOOOOOOOOO but interesting.
Katrina Ly
hmm..it was okay i guess, it was sad how not everyone got a happy ending, but i guess thats life.

i kind of liked the way it was written in poems though it took me a while to figure out the poems change perspective. so i was kinda confused throughout the start of the novel/collection of poems. i liked the unique-ness of the plot and the way it was written/expressed (i.e. in poems)

SPOILER ALERT

i wonder what happened to connor? did she tell her parents? and what about serena? didn't the author say
Aug 03, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jinx is an authentic and touching story about a teenage girl living in Sydney's suburban inner-west. Jen (as she is initially known) wants to do all the things any regular teenager would – hang out with her friends, have sex with her boyfriend, and stop her mother interfering in her life. But after a sudden and unexpected loss, Jen (now rechristened Jinx) loses herself in grief, alcohol and despair. What makes this story work so spectacularly is that it's written as a verse novel – a collection ...more
Kat
Feb 10, 2017 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the whole book in about 10 hours. Although, I was not a big fan of the book! I think the main reason is because I just didn't connect well with the book.
Hui Lin
Feb 29, 2008 Hui Lin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 09th
Jen is the main character in this book. Her parents had divorced and her father remarried Stella. She had one sister, Grace, she has Down's Syndrome. Life is wonderful to Jen after she starts to date Charlie. They had been great together, but one day she had been tell that Charlie committed suicide. She then went wild for a while until she met Ben. Eventually she and Ben were together. But soon Ben was killed, because he had been called "SHORT" by a guy name Hal. After that, Jen renames herself ...more
Heather Gallagher
Sep 02, 2015 Heather Gallagher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: verse-novels
Really enjoyed this coming-of-age verse novel about Jen who becomes Jinx and then Jen again. (Spoiler alert!) Jen takes on the name Jinx after her first boyfriend suicides and the second is killed in an accident. Ironically, she heals by falling in love with the boy who was partly responsible for the second boyfriend's death. The characters in this novel were wonderfully drawn; especially the little sister Grace who has Downe's Syndrome and yet a wonderful insight into human behaviours. I also l ...more
Sammi
Nov 09, 2009 Sammi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advisory-2010
Jinx by Margaret Wild. It captures your attention right from the beginning. I feel like I can connect to this girl, Jen.
Jen's first boyfriend died, maybe a little unlucky?
Jen's second boyfriend died, was it more than just being unlucky?
Since that day, Jen was called Jinx. Cursed, filled with bad luck.
Jen is lonely and can not seem to find closeness in people around her.
I said I can connect to that because I feel like sometimes in life, there are many hard times. Friends not being there for you w
Rodney
Nov 23, 2009 Rodney rated it really liked it
Jinx is a very creative book it is a poem so it ends quick.But she changist alot throught out the book.
The important thing about this book is about how Jinx expresses her feelings.In the hole book is pretty much about drama. Its all about jen "Jinx."She is very important in this book cause every thing that happens she has to do something with it.
One question i alwayst had through out the book was why does Jen change to a evil visios Jinx. After every thing that happend in her life she becomes
Lyndal Russell
This book was an emotional roller coaster for me and it was just another piece of evidence that nobody is perfect, everyone has problems. I really like this style of writing too, in the poetic way. I went to read this a few years ago but I didn't understand why it was written like it is and I thought it would be complicated. To find out only years later that it's one of the most accessible and easy to read books ever written but mature too. It shows that people you love will leave and some may n ...more
Emily
Nov 22, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was great!
I had to read it for school and iI thought: oh, it'll be boring like most of those books we read in school. But than, I startet. And I got used to the form the book's written. And I was ABOLUTELY surprised.

SPOILER!

Most of the time, while reading I was depressed, because Jen had always so bad luck. I thought it was weird, that she let everyone call her jinx. I mean: Who wouldn't get crazy, when two boyfriends of yours die?!?
And than she meets Pete, and you think, that she will
Cecilia Marie
I read this some time in middle school and I adored it. It influenced my own poetry... Which, in hindsight, was absolutely horrible, heh. I'd like to re-read this and see what I think of it now that I'm not an angsty teenager (I've graduated to angsty 20-something! Much different dynamic, I think!). When trying to source this book again, I described it as "full of morbid free-verse poetry, I think it was in a story format and switched perspectives". I don't remember any of the plot, though. I di ...more
The Bookologist
As Jen starts with her boyfriend, she's happy with him. But until some shocking news comes, she sad and hurt. That was her boyfriend who just died. Here is where the "JINX" part starts, she thinks she's unlucky but she soon finds out that she's "JINXed."

Margaret Wild's writing is awesome! She's great, she really knows how to make the readers feel the way the character feels. Her words were so bitter and so painful. I actually was shocked with some of the parts in the book. The way one of her boy
Kevin Fanning
I saw this at the library and picked it up because it's a novel told in (free) verse, which, hey, that sounds interesting. Gave up after ~40 pages.

The problem for me was that the poetry itself wasn't particularly good, or even engaging in and of itself. Why not just use a more fragmentary/episodic short fiction style?

(I mean, unless you're going to write a YA book about teen drauma IN the Cringe-style of Awful Teenage Poetry, which would be AWESOME. But this wasn't that.)

So I'm not convinced th
Sarah Crawford
Feb 10, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first strange thing about this book is the way it is written. Rather than regular fill-up-a-page type of writing the book is written almost in poetic form. Pages have titles telling who is writing/speaking.

The main character is Jen/Jinx, a fairly typical teenage girl who ends up having two boyfriends die on her. Her third boyfriend turns out to be the one that caused the death of one of her other boyfriends which ends up resulting in a rather unusual book in many ways.

It's overall a fairly i
Daniela
A very impressive young adult novel, written in verse and from various view points. It deals with some big topics like love and death, family and divorce, disability and acceptance, guilt and forgiveness - to name but a few. Wild chooses every word carefully and manages to piece together a novel that shows the dark places of the human soul as well as the light that we all hope is at the end of the tunnel.
Diana
Sep 25, 2007 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Jen is a high school girl who describes her life in poems. After two of her boyfriends die, Jen renames herself Jinx and struggles to come to terms with her grief.

Amazing. It was easy to read and understand and took on a myriad of issues: grief, suicide, parental indifference, homosexuality, divorce, and the difficulty of having a sibling who is handicapped. A very raw and real book. The differing points of view let us see how other people besides Jen/Jinx relate to the events of the story.
Em
Feb 07, 2012 Em rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a great way to write the novel, at times i got confused but i found my way back.
I enjoyed how Margaret catpured each character in their own way and showed how they were felling.. well put together.

I was a bit upset knowing that both Charlie and Ben had died, Charlie im unsure why he did it and Ben its upsetting knowing that Hal had done it although it was accidental.

All together i just enjoyed it and glad this book took me 4-5 hours to read. FASTED READ EVER
Amanda
Jun 22, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It took me less than two hours to read as it is a story connected by a series of poems about a teenage girl, her family and friends, and the heart-ache that comes with growing up.
Wild uses several points of view in this novel and touches on issues of depression, broken homes, life as a teenager, life as an adult with kids, death, disability, truth, self-destruction, sexuality, single parents and more....
Definitely worth a read for something different. 4 Stars.
Margo
Nov 18, 2013 Margo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a poetry book that had inappropriate language for middle school students as well as inappropriate themes. The entire plot was very unlikely and not believable. The main character seems like a silly girl who is just looking to grow up too quickly, and quite frankly, who has that many boyfriends in high school? The book is useful for teaching poetry styles, but the language and themes make it not appropriate for any school environment.
Rachel
Feb 11, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
This book was intriguing. The story is written in poetic verse from different perspectives. This works very well for the serious content that the book covers. This is a great book about the hardships teens face growing up such as suicide, homosexuality, substance abuse, divorce, grief, handicaps, etc. It is unique because it show the parents' point of view as well. It was very well done and an easy read.
Michelle Adams
Feb 14, 2013 Michelle Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.
Brilliantly written, poetic verse concise and profound, shifts perspectives between characters.

My favourite:

"Jen doesn't know
her mother's secret.
She doesn't know
that at forty-two it's just as terrible
to be in love with someone
who might not love you
as it is at fourteen or seventeen or twenty-one.
She doesn't know
you're never too old for such yearning,
however fruitless,
humiliating."
Hailey Story
Apr 11, 2013 Hailey Story rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sarah is Absolutely Crazed
I thought this book was and interesting, easy to read choice. What is interesting about this book is that it is set up like a series of poems each with their own title and stanzas. It took a little to get used to this format, but after a while I was reading the story fluently. Although I wish the book went into more detail but the plot line was very interesting. I finished this book in one evening. xD
Melissa He
Dec 17, 2009 Melissa He rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Teens
It's about a girl whose boyfriends seem to die one after another. Because of this, she calls herself, "Jinx". It's written in poems, instead of the usual text. I liked this book, I was able to see the situation in the book through multiple characters. I thought Jinx was an O.K. character, I was able to connect to her when people started to judge her. I would recommend it for other teens because the story's setting is in high school, which most of us can relate to.
Mrs. Gallagher's ...: Novel in Verse Book Review 1 8 May 01, 2013 06:06PM
Mrs. Gallagher's ...: NICOLE'S BOOK REVIEW IN VERSE 1 5 Apr 30, 2013 04:31PM
NICOLE'S BOOK REVIEW IN VERSE 1 3 Apr 30, 2013 04:20PM
  • The Simple Gift
  • The Geography of Girlhood
  • Hugging the Rock
  • Talking To Strangers
  • Taken
  • Remember Me & The Return Part I  (Remember Me #1-2)
  • Broken
  • The Weight of the Sky
  • Vulpi (Thyla, #2)
  • Fallout (The Phoenix Files, #5)
  • The Taking of Room 114
  • Goblin Fruit
  • Things Left Unsaid: A Novel in Poems
  • Worlds Afire
  • Out of This Place
  • Toppling
  • House of Bones (Point Horror Unleashed)
  • A Bad Boy Can Be Good for a Girl
Margaret Wild has written more than seventy books and has been published around the world. Her numerous awards and distinctions include the Children’s Book Council of Australia Picture Book of the Year Award for Jenny Angel, illustrated by Anne Spudvilas; The Very Best of Friends, illustrated by Julie Vivas; and Fox, illustrated by Ron Brooks. In 2008 she received the Nan Chauncy Award for an outs ...more
More about Margaret Wild...

“I read somewhere
that all this -
the people, the animals,
the mountains, the rivers -
is just God dreaming.
I wish he'd wake the fuck up.”
8 likes
“Jen's Mum Will Write

Jen's mum writes advertising copy.
She specializes in white goods:
washing machines, dryers, fridges,
freezers, dishwashers.
She hates these appliances
hulking
in corners,
power-hungry and fractious.
One day, she will have a wood stove,
and she'll write about things that matter-
she will write about birth and death,
about love and the absence of love,
about fathers and children,
about mothers and daughters,
about lovers and friends.
She'll write about the whole goddamn
wonderful, awful business
of loving and being loved”
2 likes