Start by marking “Two Queens in One Isle” as Want to Read:
Two Queens in One Isle

Two Queens in One Isle

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  108 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The relationship between Queen Elizabeth I of England and her cousin, Mary Queen of Scots is a complex one, they were united by blood but divided by religion. Championed by continental and underground English Catholics as the rightful Queen of England, Mary was nevertheless given protection by her cousin after she was deposed amid outrage at her immoral behaviour. Rumours ...more
Published June 25th 1999 by Sutton Publishing (first published October 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Two Queens in One Isle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Queens in One Isle

Cheryl
Oct 22, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it
I've read a number of books about Mary Stuart and Elizabeth Tudor because I find them fascinating foils of each other and different representations of women in power in a male dominated sphere. I think the thing that struck me the most about their story this time was something that was not even really called out in the book, namely that Mary spent almost 19 years as a prisoner in England. Interestingly, this woman who was considered a legitimate threat to Elizabeth's crown spent more of her life ...more
Denise
Two queens...two cousins. One the queen of England and a Protestant. The other the queen of Scotland and a Catholic. A detailed, well-researched book showing the emotional and mental character of each and how one queen's quest for power came up against the other queen's need to keep that power. Excellent read!
C.S. Burrough
Jun 26, 2014 C.S. Burrough rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Alison Plowden's history of these cousin queens, Protestant Elizabeth I of England and Catholic Mary of Scots, is enthralling.

It is near impossible, after reading material such as this, to side with one queen or the other. Each was arguably at fault and justified in her treatment of the other. Mary came off the worst to lioness Bess.

The backstory is that the teenaged Mary, when queen consort of France, had once claimed the so called 'illegitimate' Elizabeth's throne as her own and was considered
Sarah Gwinn
Feb 21, 2014 Sarah Gwinn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You will feel sorry for both the queens

At times is hard to read with the Latin and French words. The author's translation of old world English made me lose my place a few times. it was filed with intrigue and murderous plots. Mary queen of Scots with down right miserable and you want to admire Elizabeth. Even to the end Mary was as stubborn as they come. It is true her only real duty was to produce an heir.
Neeuqdrazil
I really enjoyed this. It's an older book (originally published in 1984, I think?) but it doesn't show its age at all.

Plowden does a very good job of looking at Mary, and Elizabeth, (focusing more on Mary), and how their interactions, and Mary's eventual execution (spoilers!) were practically pre-ordained from the time that Mary started quartering her arms as Queen of France with the arms of England.

This is a relatively easy read - it's presented chronologically, and is pretty straightforward
J S
May 21, 2015 J S rated it really liked it
Interesting book, written in a significantly less dry style than most history books. Only flaw is that occasionally the author gives a statement of opinion without pointing to actual facts.
Catherine
Aug 26, 2014 Catherine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A very factual book, that did tell me things I did not know. It could have been written in a slightly more engaging way - not too dissimilar to some school text books.

Elizabeth
Jul 26, 2009 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Well considered and researched, informative read.
Kristine
Jun 07, 2008 Kristine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good easy read for non fiction.
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Heather Nicholas
Heather Nicholas marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Pamela Fisher
Pamela Fisher marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Michael A. Rodriguez
Michael A. Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Karan Wilson
Karan Wilson marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Charlotte Brady
Charlotte Brady rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Melissa warner
Melissa warner rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Ann
Ann added it
Jan 22, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Viola Prins
Viola Prins marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Lottie Rollin
Lottie Rollin marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Annie Belanger
Annie Belanger rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Nadine
Nadine rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Renate Kenney
Renate Kenney marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Danny Nelson
Danny Nelson marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Dr. Therese M. Mendez
Dr. Therese M. Mendez is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2016
  • Elizabeth and Essex
  • Anne Boleyn: In Her Own Words & the Words of Those Who Knew Her
  • Mary Tudor: A Life
  • Catherine Howard: The Queen Whose Adulteries Made a Fool of Henry VIII
  • Elizabeth: Virgin Queen?
  • Elizabeth the Great
  • The Pirate Queen: Queen Elizabeth I, Her Pirate Adventurers, and the Dawn of Empire
  • Katherine Howard
  • Queen Elizabeth in the Garden: A Story of Love, Rivalry, and Spectacular Gardens
  • The Tudors
  • The Virgin Queen: Elizabeth I, Genius Of The Golden Age
  • 1536: The Year That Changed Henry VIII
  • Tudor England
  • Crown of Thistles: The Fatal Inheritance of Mary Queen of Scots
  • Her Majesty's Spymaster: Elizabeth I, Sir Francis Walsingham, and the Birth of Modern Espionage
  • The Girl in the Mirror
  • Elizabeth's Women: Friends, Rivals, and Foes Who Shaped the Virgin Queen
  • The Last White Rose: Dynasty, Rebellion and Treason. The Secret Wars against the Tudors