Start by marking “The Outlander Series (Outlander, #1-7)” as Want to Read:
The Outlander Series (Outlander, #1-7)

The Outlander Series (Outlander #1-7)

4.73  ·  Rating Details ·  6,477 Ratings  ·  355 Reviews
Diana Gabaldon’s acclaimed Outlander series blends rich historical fiction with riveting adventure and a truly epic love story. Now, with this convenient seven-volume eBook bundle, discover the novels that have won Gabaldon millions of fans and introduced readers to the brilliant Claire Randall and valiant Highlander Jamie Fraser.

The year is 1946. Claire Randall is a Bri
Published October 29th 2012 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about The Outlander Series, please sign up.

Paula It has been made into a tv series STARZ...The first 8 episodes were in fall of 2014 the next episodes are up for Feb (?) 2015 or somewhere in…moreIt has been made into a tv series STARZ...The first 8 episodes were in fall of 2014 the next episodes are up for Feb (?) 2015 or somewhere in there....I have enjoyed the series so far...
(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kendra
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Teri
Oct 01, 2013 Teri rated it it was amazing
I down loaded this series June 27th. I have just finished reading it. My health may or may not have suffered during this time, but surely my housekeeping, acquaintances and any other (relatively) ancillary aspects of life have suffered greatly from inattention during the intervening time. I fell into these books as much as Claire fell through the stones. Even when I didn't have my e-reader at hand, my mind was on the world of the Outlanders, wondering how, when, what for each of the many chief c ...more
Beth
This is the collection of the 1st 7 books in this series. I purchased this bundle as a deal and couldn't pass it up. I saw other's love it but it had a lot of things I normally don't pick out in a book.

1. Huge books, rather wordy but after reading it I wouldn't miss it for the world. The story is amazing.

2. You are dragged back in forth between the past and more recent present, which I normally couldn't stand but I absolutely loved it.

3. You are also given multiple view points, again not a fav
Karen
Apr 16, 2013 Karen rated it it was ok
The series began well; the first 3 books, imo, are must reads if a reader likes romance (oh get over it, Gabaldon, it's fucking romance), or historical novels, or time travel or any combination of those. while there are some tiresome tropes--Gabaldon has some issues with ensuring that every character in the series gets raped or nearly killed at least twice, and you don't want to make "nipple" a drinking game if you're going to go on a marathon read of the series--it's fun, interesting and you mo ...more
Diana
Sep 17, 2012 Diana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-fiction
This is my favorite book series! Each hefty/weighty/lengthy book, flies by and leaves you bereft, mourning the loss of your friends. The characters are so well-developed, their personalities so "real" that you feel you know them and they would be your friends.

The storyline is complex. Through a series of accidents Clair finds herself married to two men. One from modern day, and one (Jamie) from the time she traveled back to. Jamie is a fierce, beautiful, loyal, strong, sensuous, Scottish Highla
Littleirish
Jun 02, 2013 Littleirish rated it it was amazing
There are very few authors that come close to Mrs. Gabaldon in skill. The breadth of the series is hard to describe. Historical fiction, mystical adventure, romance... It's a shame that many mistakenly assume it to be just romance and therefore simplistic drivel. I could go on about female authors and their works not being taken seriously but I won't. Only to point out that historical fiction by, say Ken Follett is much more formulatic and romancey.
The historical research and rich detail of the
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧•°**★❧ •°**★
5 Phenomenal Characterization Stars!

And Lord John
...and his world are my everything!

Lord John, just wow * swoon* worthy for sure~

Jamie was ADORABLE & Clair was awesome

And, so many SC that bring this book alive. I love them all. This was a phenomenal read. Everytime I walk into Barnes & Noble I want to pet this book. I love it, I gravitate towards it. * shrug* it just that well written.

The books as a whole.....

Mischief and mayhem throughout. For the most part it was fun to read, someti
Pat
Sep 13, 2013 Pat rated it it was amazing
Hands down Outlander is the best series I've ever read. Diana Gabaldon's writing style is awesome and you can't help but fall in love with Jamie and Claire.
Marjorie Pfister
Feb 03, 2013 Marjorie Pfister rated it it was amazing
I started this series out of curiosity, having never heard anything about it..( yeah..yeah where have I been the last 20 years..in 13th century Scotland..haha)
What makes them appealing to me is that they're historically engaging..but let's face it..England wasn't a peaceful nor enlightened at this time in history. Very few places were at this time in history. It was a brutal, ruthless time, compassion and mercy were the exception in both individuals and the countries that ruled over them.
What'
Marie
Mar 22, 2015 Marie rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a series of books that made me stay up past my bedtime since Patrick O'Brien's series. I'm writing a review about the entire series, because although I liked some slightly more--wait, not more; differently--than others, the series as a whole is just wonderful--I mean, how can you stop eating after the appetizer? These books are a satisfying banquet that leaves you wanting more. Diana Gabaldon has an ability to tell a rousing yarn, weaving in just enough erotica, humor, pathos, phi ...more
Dianna
Jan 05, 2015 Dianna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy who don't shy at a little romance
In the opening chapters (view spoiler) I was skeptical that the series was for me. I thought it was a time travel fantasy, but it's really more of a historic highlander romance. I didn't want to like or even read a historic highlander romance - I enjoy making fun of them too much! Still, I had (foolishly?) purchased the 7-book series, so there's no way I was going to a ...more
Arlene
Dec 29, 2014 Arlene rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of this series almost since the first novel was written. I have eagerly awaited each new addition. Thanks to renewed interest from the STARZ series, I undertook to read the whole series once again. A daunting task, for each novel is quite large. However, it was a pleasure. Although there is a lot of romance, some would even say graphic romance, there is so much more to the books. The author brings you into the everyday intimate lives of the characters while telling a compelling ...more
Lisa James
Feb 28, 2016 Lisa James rated it it was amazing
Outstanding series. Has it all, detail, time travel, a dashing hero & a gritty heroine, love, war, peace, reflection, family.....
Brenda
Sep 03, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it
Sometimes reading a book becomes a long term commitment, in this case, a commitment of 23 years and counting! When I read Outlander, the first book in this series in the early 1990’s I was hooked by the characters, the great love story and it’s historical authenticity and I couldn’t wait till the next one came out. Now after finishing the eighth book in this series, Written In My Heart’s Own Blood, I still resonate with the characters and enjoy the historical context and insights that these book ...more
Resonnant
Nov 18, 2015 Resonnant rated it liked it
This book is so good. So well written and the era that I love. It paints a great romantic picture but leaves enough to the imagination. I love the history and can only imagine what it would be like to be transported back to another time where there is no electricity - to say the least. I believe in magic and things in our world that are either lost, beyond our knowledge but still residing in hidden places.

I definitely recommend this series so far.
Donna Arcara
Dec 02, 2015 Donna Arcara rated it it was amazing
This is not a series of books; it is crack cocaine for readers. I have never in my life been a re-reader, but as soon as I finished this series the first time through, I started back on Book 1, and read back through Book 5 until I finally FORCED myself to go read something else for awhile... in the meantime I'm itching to get back to re-reading the last few books. The characters are the most rounded, flawed, perfect, beautiful, heroic, infuriating, strong, real stars of any novel I've ever read. ...more
Bon
Mar 16, 2013 Bon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: listened-to
The audible is so fantastic. Jamie's brogue, Clare's English accent. Talk to my husband like Clare, Jamie, Ian, Brianna, etc like they are neighbors down the street. Hate that I finished. Am going to start to listen to John Gray books as I go through withdrawal. Best, classiest sex scenes ever. So loving. Of course I'm in love with Jamie and how he touches, looks, and says the perfectly romantic next thing with lots of humor. Clare is epically strong heroine. Since I'm a nurse I loved all the me ...more
Tracy Stinson
Apr 19, 2015 Tracy Stinson rated it it was amazing
Such a great series. I have not met one person who read them and hated it. I tell all my friends that this is the one series that is worth your time and money. I bought the 1-7 bundle in my Kindle. I now want the hardback books for my book shelf. Not going to lie there are some parts that drags. She is a great storyteller and weaver.
Genny
I started with book two, as I had read the first one previously. It is likely going to take some time to work through the 6 remaining books as a I also work on other books in between, but I am excited to return to this world and the characters. Slow but sure I will read about Claire and Jamie's adventures!
Lindsey
Oct 03, 2012 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
My all-time favorite book collection. I am a sucker for series because I get so attached to the characters. These books have it all...history, romance, intrigue, drama, time travel, mystery, wars, you name it! Definitely a must read!
Dee Snyder
May 03, 2015 Dee Snyder rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! I fell in love with the characters and with Scotland! Watched the TV show and enjoyed it very much but the book gave me a better insight into the characters and history of the time. Really made the TV show even better. Ordered volume 2 and can't wait to read it.
Lesli Mayhew-driver
Jan 06, 2013 Lesli Mayhew-driver rated it really liked it
I am currently re-reading this series and found this bundle for my Kindle. I love having them all in one place. Of course I will continue to buy the hardback books because sometimes we just need the smell of a wonderful book!!
Paula
Feb 17, 2016 Paula rated it really liked it
Brette
Sep 27, 2015 Brette rated it really liked it
It took me 5 months to read all 8 books, but this series is so well written, and filled with tons of history!
Leanne
Mar 06, 2013 Leanne rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful action packed series good for everyone. A little romance, action, suspense and fantasy. Who doesn't love a time traveling nurse and a handsome Highlander!!
Debbie Mosley
Feb 25, 2015 Debbie Mosley rated it it was amazing
I am on book #7 and hate to put it down to do anything else... keeps me wondering what is going to happen next!
Pam Warner
Will read when I have more time v
Adele
Oct 06, 2016 Adele rated it it was amazing
Not sure how proud of myself I am, but I loved this series in my 20's
Petra
Jan 12, 2013 Petra rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite historical/paranormal/romance series. I love the characters and its like you are really there
Sara Bastedo
Jan 06, 2013 Sara Bastedo rated it it was amazing
Yep I totally LOVE this series. I think this may be my absolute favorites. I cannot get enough. Books are super long but so worth it.
Gena
Mar 03, 2013 Gena rated it it was amazing
Best series I've read to date! Probably the best books I've ever read.
Who has read the series 1 2 Jan 28, 2017 08:14AM
Recommendations after Outlander 2 5 Nov 15, 2016 08:13PM
All the Books!: Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon 89 31 Oct 04, 2016 08:39AM
According to you, what are the cutest things about Jamie and Claire's relationship throughout the series? 1 10 Jan 28, 2016 05:41PM
Outlander Series: Claire, Jamie, and Willie 13 134 Aug 15, 2015 01:22PM
  • Child Development (McGraw-Hill series in psychology)
  • Lessons in Discovery (Cambridge Fellows, #3)
  • Deal with It! A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain, and Life as a gURL
  • Fragile Bond
  • Infinite Reality: Avatars, Eternal Life, New Worlds, and the Dawn of the Virtual Revolution
  • Lies & Seduction (Sin & Seduction, #2)
  • The Archer's Heart Book Two (The Archer's Heart, #2)
  • Cartoon Logic
  • Between Two Worlds (Amish #1)
  • Blood & Tears (Flesh, #3)
  • A Dangerous Man
  • From Diapers to Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children
  • Shock to the System (Donald Strachey, #5)
  • Trick of Time
  • Princess of Bretagne (Curse of the Lost Isle, #1)
  • Aliens, Smith and Jones
  • On a Lee Shore
  • Half a Million Dead Cannibals
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .
More about Diana Gabaldon...

Outlander (9 books)
  • Outlander (Outlander #1)
  • Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2)
  • Voyager (Outlander, #3)
  • Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4)
  • The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5)
  • A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)
  • An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7)
  • Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander, #8)
  • Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone (Outlander, #9)

“To see the years touch ye gives me joy, Sassenach,” he whispered, “—for it means that ye live.” 2 likes
“For I had come back, and I dreamed once more, in the cool air of the Highlands. And the voice of my dream still echoed through ears and heart, repeated with the sound of Brianna’s sleeping breath. “You are mine,” it had said. “Mine! And I will not let you go.” 2 likes