Start by marking “Little Exiles” as Want to Read:
Little Exiles

Little Exiles

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Jon Heather, proud to be nearly nine, keeps a vigil at the end of his lane. Determined not to be beaten by the cold he stands and waits for his Father. It is Christmas Eve, 1948. Christmas, a time of family and a time of miracles. Although he has never once seen his Father, Jon knows that he is coming home.
But Jon’s Father does not return, and one evening no longer able to
Published February 1st 2013 by HarperCollins Australia (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Little Exiles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Exiles

Aditi
“Everyone must come out of his Exile in his own way.”

---Martin Buber, an Austrian-born Jewish philosopher

Robert Dinsdale, one of my favorite English authors, has woven a spectacular tale about illegal immigration of little children to Australia with or without the consent of their guardians, in his book, Little Exiles .

Synopsis:
In Leeds in the year of 1948, a eight year old’s father doesn't return home, weeks later, that same boy is sent off to Chapeltown Boy’s Home of the Children’s Crusad
Jo Barton
Leeds, Christmas 1948, and nine year old Jon Heather anxiously awaits his father’s return from the war, but times are hard for the Heather family, and even though Jon’s mother tries to hold her family together, she is in desperate circumstances. When she leaves Jon at the Chapeltown Boy’s Home of the Children’s Crusade, she promises to return for him in two months time, but as weeks pass with no news of his mother, Jon like all the other abandoned boys at the Children’s crusade must watch and wa ...more
Cleo Bannister
The Little Exiles chiefly tells Jon Heather's story of how he was sent to the Chapeltown Boys' Home when his mother's health declines. Jon is convinced through the early weeks that his mother will come for him but it is not to be and instead he finds himself on a boat to Australia. Not long ago he had been an eight year old boy waiting for his father to return home from World War II, now he has lost his mother, his twin elder sisters and gained a group of boys, both friendly and unfriendly, for ...more
Becky
A highly moving and thought provoking story of the 'export' of children in the mid twentieth century, from children's homes in the uk to Australia. The story follows boys transported at the end of the second world war but draws in details from other 'crusades' Also touched upon is the shameful practice of the forced adoption of aboriginal children. Beautifully written with a compelling story and believable characters, this should do very well this year.
Anne
Over 3000 children aged between 3 and 14 were shipped to Australia after the end of the War. Around 1000 more sent off to other countries including New Zealand and Canada. Many of these children were sent without their parent's consent, some without their parent's knowledge.
John Heather, the lead character in Little Exiles is one of these children. He's been living in a drab children's home in Leeds, his mother could not care for him, his father never returned from the war. Jon and a group of ot
Soozee
You know its not going to be an easy read, given the subject matter, but it is well written and its hard to determine whether the tale is clever fiction, or based on true lives. I agree aboriginal abductions are rather shoe-horned into the tale, but other than that its a compelling read. Well worth while, I finished it in a day.
Joanne
Little Exiles is a beautifully book that has an underlying thread of sadness that makes it a compelling read.
Leeds in 1948 Jon Heathers father has not returned at the end of world war two, and Jon's mother is unable to cope with the pressures of life and leaves Jon at the Chapeltown Boy’s Home of the Children’s Crusade with the promise to return for him in two months time. But as time passes there is no word from his mother and Jon is forced to go to leave England as part of the forced child mig
Beautifully written book, the sadness of the children is compelling. I cried at the end, and a book hasn't moved me like that for a long time. Highly recommended.
Mark
Compelling, captivating, provocative and moving are some words to describe this remarkable book about the deportation of English children during the 1950s. This is the story of a small number of boys from Leeds who are given into the care of a "religious organisation" by destitute parents and then after being told their mothers are dead are sent to remote Western Australia. The story is well written, with magnificently drawn and complex characters. My only negative is that it tended to get a bit ...more
Alison
A story about children taken to Australia to start a new life in harsh conditions. Well-written and thought-provoking
Nigel
I loved this book. Deeply compelling and at times quite hard to read it is the story of children sent to Australia for a "better life". Often told they are orphans and housed in poor accommodation the life they have to endure at times cannot be described as "good" by any stretch of the imagination. Focussing on three boys who are friends on the journey out it is fascinating to see the differing approaches to surviving the situation they find themselves in.

Where do you belong when you feel you do
Adri
Heartbreaking on so many levels
Kate
I picked this book for an assignment at uni, and it was incredibly well-written and captivating read. There's not quite any space in my brain at the moment to write a review for this as that is what I am doing for my assignment, but I will post a shorter version of what I hand in for assessment in a few weeks. In a nutshell, Little Exiles is thought-provoking and really triggered an emotion response in me. It has a very engaging story and excellent characters. Definitely worth a read.
N
The story starts out well (horrible subject obviously) and it's very easy to get lost into the story until the shoehorned Aboriginal bit (also horrible subject). After that the narative gets too jumbled and jumps to much to keep a hold of it, the time pacing feels off like the Author only had a few chapters to go from boy to Man and he rushed it to finish the story. By the end I wasn't interested with the ending - disappointed.
Linda
This was an eye-opening read. With people focussing on the 'Stolen Generation' (aboriginal children) I often would think "What about all the kids taken from the UK; told their parents were dead and sent to Australia". Their story needs to be heard too, and Robert Dinsdale did a fine job. I found I wanted to know the characters better, and to find out how their lives turned out.

I was left wanting more!
Xroldx
This book is based upon the forced migration of children aged 5 - 15 from Britain to Australia right after World War 2. The story centers around 9 years old Jon Heather who promises himself he'll return to England and his family one day. A very compelling book.
Simone Guest
This was one of those rare little finds that you just can't put down. Jon Heather is one of those unforgettable characters. You feel his pain and ultimately you cheer when he feels at peace with living.
Michael Wood
This is more of a journey than a story; for the characters and reader alike. A sad and disturbing story in places but thoroughly likeable characters and a satisfying ending.
Karen Richards
A really good read - heartbreaking at times. Historical fiction that would appeal to both genders. Useful as a Text for Pleasure study
Allen Simmons
An emotional read. Well crafted. Believable characters. Bloody politicians!
Kim Miller
A delightfully moving and beautifully written novel with loveable characters.
Kristel
A very emotional book - I enjoyed reading it and I couldn't put it down.
Rebecca Goodwin
But slow to get into - but then a lovely read!!
Sammy
Brilliant..
Geri
Geri marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Catherine Hollands
Catherine Hollands marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Paula Steele
Paula Steele marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
  • The Moon Field
  • Me and Rory Macbeath
  • Wild Children
  • Aldo's Fantastical Movie Palace
  • This Is How I Save My Life: A True Story of Embryonic Stem Cells, Indian Adventures, and Ultimate Self-Healing
  • Thornwood House
  • Rücken an Rücken
  • Deeper Water
  • Poppy
  • Winning The Player
I was born in Northallerton, North Yorkshire in 1981 and went on to study at the University of Leeds.

In 2010 I spent four months in Australia researching the novel that would become LITTLE EXILES, which was published by Harper Collins in February 2013.
More about Robert Dinsdale...
Gingerbread The Harrowing Three Miles Gingerbread