Start by marking “The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle (A Chocoholic Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle (A Chocoholic Mystery #4)

The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle (A Chocoholic Mystery #4)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,175 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Hollywood comes to Michigan when a film producer decides to turn a local author's romance novel into a blockbuster. Although the movie mogul's chocolate labrador is charming, Lee McKinney thinks the producer's talk is a bunch of sweet nothings-and she grows even more suspicious when she stumbles upon a dead body.
Published December 1st 2004 by Signet Book (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle

Emily Crow
A quick read, mildly entertaining and not as "quirky" as most cozies, which I liked. (On the other hand, those who enjoy the roundup of goofballs found in your typical cozy might miss them.) I liked the Michigan setting, in a fictional town in the vicinity of Saugatuck (which is not mentioned, but based on geographical clues, that's the most likely area). Also features a dog, which is usually a plus for me.
Mark Baker
Mar 15, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2004
A producer has come to town with sites set on making a movie based on local history. But Lee thinks something isn't right and starts to investigate. She's hardly started when she finds a dead body. Another fast moving mystery with characters I love to visit.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Susan
The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle by JoAnna Carl is book 4 of the Chocoholic Mystery series set in present-day Michigan. Fictitious Warner Pier is a small resort town on the east shore of Lake Michigan, celebrating the end of the tourist season with a “Fall Rinkydink” fair. Lee McKinney lives and works with her Aunt Nettie at TenHuis Chocolade, a gourmet chocolate shop. Her boyfriend Joe Woodyard, the city attorney, would like Lee to set a wedding date, but she hesitates.

Frisky chocolate Labrador puppy
Moriah Venable
Sep 26, 2015 Moriah Venable rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the fourth installment of the Chocoholic series, Lee meets Aubrey Andrews Armstrong, who has come to town to turn the book that local Maia Michaelson has written based on her family history. Her Uncle Silas doesn't approve of the book or the producer being there and makes his opinion known. Lee KcKinney is susupicious of him, especially when Aubrey sets his sights on her Aunte Nettie. While the chief is telling her to mind her business and that Nettie can take care of herself. To prove her po ...more
Tabby Kat
Hollywood has arrived in Warner Pier in the form of Aubrey Andrews Armstrong. He plans to make a movie based on the book Maia Michaelson wrote on her family history.

But Lee McKinney suspects something isn't right from the start. Aubrey seems too smooth and too good to be true. She seems to be the only one to realize this, however. Even her Aunt Nettie has agreed to go out on a date with him. With no one willing to listen to her, Lee sets out to find out what she can about Aubrey by herself. But
Dawn Michelle

3 1/2 Stars

Enjoying this series quite a bit. Lee in an interesting lead character with funny (and believable) little quirks. The storylines are good and they (usually) keep you guessing!

A big-time (or so he says) movie producer has come to Warner Pier to court a local author (who's book everyone in WP HATED) about making a movie from their book. Lee distrust him from the start, but cannot seem to convince anyone else, including her beloved Aunt, who seems bent on DATING the man!!
But when some
Luffy
Mar 17, 2013 Luffy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Four very different feels to the books in this series so far. I must say that the fault lies totally with me regarding the low rating. I couldn't wrap my head round the events of the mystery. I can't carry a map in my head to save my neck. It was nice to read about the early events that foreshadowed the danger that Lee would incur. The attempt at suspense and endangerment was sad to the point of pathetic. We all know Lee will not die. But I sailed through three quarters of the book without prob ...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Laura Salas
Nov 28, 2011 Laura Salas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, mystery
Julie Marks
Dec 10, 2013 Julie Marks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When newcomer Aubrey Andrews Armstrong arrives, claiming to be a Hollywood producer, TenHuis Chocolade business manager, Lee McKinney, is hardly salivating at the thought of her Aunt Nettie going out for dinner with this potentially unsavory type who has been sweet talking everyone about making a movie based on a local author's romance novel. Looking for some tidbits from Aubrey's background, Lee has plenty of food for thought especially after stumbling upon a dead body. With one person dead and ...more
Kim
The puppy puzzle is the 4th in the Lee McKinney series. A movie producer has come to town, intent on making local resident Maia Michaelsons novel into the latest blockbuster. When he begins to squire Lees widowed aunt, the owner of TenHuis Chocolade about town, Lee begins to worry. Add to it the strange behavior of the drama teacher, Maggie McNutt, a pumpkin patch murder and Lee is off & sleuthing. The book has an interesting story, but I found the middle of the book dragging a bit. The clim ...more
Natasha
May 23, 2011 Natasha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thankfully, this is the last of the chocolate mystery books I somehow ended up with in my bookcase. I was traveling recently, and it felt gratifying to leave in the seat pocket in front of me on a Delta flight.

If you like writing that tells instead of shows, stupid dialogue, and a contrived story line, this book is for you. I will say, I "liked" this one better than the other I read, but it is still awful.
ChrisGA
Dec 31, 2012 ChrisGA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler Alert. The chocolate in this book of the series is a chocolate lab puppy that wiggles its way into Lee and Aunt Nettie’s life and home. Its owner was a scoundrel, a fake movie producer in town to scam money for his “movie”. Lee stumbles over a dead body in a pumpkin patch. and an old scandal resurfaces to affect current residents of the town.

spoiler alert

Aunt Nettie starts dating Hogan, and Joe and Lee set their wedding date.
Sheri
Aug 24, 2015 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of a two book deal I got and I loved how this m.c. and her aunt in the TenHuis Chocolade find the killer of a local farmer and uncover some other kidnapped victims with a dog left behind. I liked the plot and the way Joanna Carl wove the clues into the story and the ending concluded. Good mystery story to recommend to people who love reading about chocolate facts at the end of many chapters and they mystery with main Character and her boyfriend Joe.
Addison Public Library
Hollywood is coming to Michigan! When the local romance author lands a Hollywood deal, the town gets turned upside down. Lee McKinney, however, thinks something is not quite right and, when a murder occurs, she's ready to track down the killer.

KD 11-15

Check out this book today!
Veldi
A very enjoyable read. Cozy for every occasion- on the beach, in the bus, in bed, etc. At first I don't have any high expectation on the plot- the cover looks kind of silly, doesn't it? But it does give me nice surprises; the plot is clever, the pace is fast, the sentences are clean and crisp, and I love the folks in that imaginary community, it feels so warm and real. The only downside is there is not enough cocoa in the story!
Connie Easlick
Apr 10, 2010 Connie Easlick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mysteries
This one has a so called movie producer and his puppy in it.

I am always amazed at so many deaths/murders in little towns, since the authors keep going with the same main characters.

It sound kind of like a soap opera, where they have to add more people once in a while due to killing them off.
Mary
Feb 15, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story involves a man coming to town and pretending to be a movie producer, but he sets peoples teeth on edge and they want to protect their family and their friends from him. But in the process, a farmer is murdered and then shots are taken at the stranger and then at Lee. Who is to blame for all these rare occurrences.
Theresa Malloy
I like these during the week because they don't make me think too hard. Although it's pretty easy to pick out the murderer in the earlier books. In this one a local writes a book based on a family drama. Her great uncle publicly challenges the author and then turned up dead the next night. Lee is also attacked and goes into hiding. They try to find the murderer before another victim dies.
Karen
Such a fun book! I live along the lakeshore of Lake Michigan, so the fictional town in this story-- nestled in between Holland and Saugatuck feels like home to me! Fun characters and story line-- perfect for a light-hearted mystery! This is the 4th book in the series, so I feel as if I know the characters much better-- and I have to say, without spoiling it, that I loved the ending! :)
Helen
Feb 18, 2016 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joanne Carl's chocolate mysteries are growing on me, and I may look for more when my to-be-read pile diminishes. Unlike the previous book in the series, I didn't pick the killer halfway through. There were 4 likely villains.
I like the heroine and her group of family and friends, and there isn't an excess of chocolate.
Doris
May 20, 2009 Doris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of the 'stupid heroine butts in and nearly gets killed and has to be rescued' type of stuff.

This is the first in the series that has disappointed me. Not only "stupid heroine" but "brainless" as well.

Why brainless? This fit the normal style of mystery books, in that I determined who committed the crime and why, long before the characters in the book.
Steve
Jan 26, 2015 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun series, I liked the first 3 books better than this one but it still makes me want to continue and read the 5th one.

Again, great setting along the shoreline of Lake Michigan on the west side of the state. If you haven't been to this section of Michigan before, you should, it is a great spot to visit or own a vacation home.

Tanis
Feb 05, 2009 Tanis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the little town in Michigan where all these stories take place. I would seriously want to visit there if there weren't so many murders going on. :) But the characters are so great too. I love Lee, the main character. She's so human and so real that it feels good to see her save the day. GREAT BOOKS!!!
Shannon
May 01, 2008 Shannon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I like someone else's term of 'cosy' mystery for this because that's what it is--something to sit and be comfortable with. Lee meets a "producer" at the town picnic wanting to make a movie of an old story one of the townsfolk has written as a vanity publication. In the end, Lee ends up solving what happens to the producer and to the old mystery. This one was a fun easy read.
Tammy
May 16, 2013 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books. They're a great series with all my favorite elements! There's romance, mystery, round characters and an awesome bit of humor! I love that I can, and do, read them out of order and every time I finish 1 I want to start another!
Another great, quick read, by a great author!
Anna
May 20, 2009 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, a quick and easy read with a little story that keeps going in each of the books. This series has been a great thing to fall back on when the library doesn't have some of the other books I really want to read!
Sandy Duke
Feb 04, 2015 Sandy Duke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This one was hard for me to get into. In fact it really didn't hold my interest until the last 3 chapters or so. I've struggled with this series, but the main characters and setting are likeable so I'll probably try at least one more in the series.
Pikachukirby99
Nov 12, 2009 Pikachukirby99 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. It's very strange at first. But, then the rising action kicks in, with the shooting. Of course, the falling action is when they find Aubrey Andrews Armstrong. He's thought to be dead at some point.
Christine
Another light mystery with the fun addition of chocolate. Dolly makes me smile she is a great addition to the story. Lee and Joe are growing closer and I am liking them together. Yes, you figure out who done it but I enjoy reading how it all plays out.
  • Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Silenced By Syrah (A Wine Lover's Mystery #3)
  • Dead Men Don't Get the Munchies (A Cooking Class Mystery, #3)
  • The Pumpkin Muffin Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #5)
  • Slay It with Flowers (A Flower Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Arsenic and Old Cake (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #3)
  • Death by the Dozen (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #3)
JOANNA CARL is the pseudonym for the multi-published mystery writer Eve K. Sandstrom. The author writes about the shores of Lake Michigan and has been reviewed in Michigan newspapers as a “regional writer.” She has also written about Southwest Oklahoma and once won an award for the best book of the year with an Oklahoma setting.

Eve K. Sandstrom is an Oklahoman to the teeth: she was born there, as
More about JoAnna Carl...

A Chocoholic Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1)
  • The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery, #2)
  • The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3)
  • The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery, #5)
  • The Chocolate Bridal Bash (A Chocoholic Mystery, #6)
  • The Chocolate Jewel Case (A Chocoholic Mystery, #7)
  • The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery, #8)
  • The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery, #9)
  • The Chocolate Pirate Plot (A Chocoholic Mystery, #10)
  • The Chocolate Castle Clue (A Chocoholic Mystery, #11)