Start by marking “How the Ladies Stopped the Wind” as Want to Read:
How the Ladies Stopped the Wind

How the Ladies Stopped the Wind

3.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Iceland is a very windy place.Going for a walk can be challenging. The ladies in one village, with the help of the chickens, set out to stop the wind. But the hungry sheep have other plans. Why aren’t there any trees in the Icelandic countryside? This original tale will tell you why and leave you smiling at the determination of the ever singing Icelandic ladies and their s ...more
Published September 24th 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about How the Ladies Stopped the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How the Ladies Stopped the Wind

Becky
Having almost been blown over by wind many times, the premise of this book became very interesting to me. The ladies in a town in Iceland could not think of a good solution to deal with the wind and how it was having a negative impact on their daily routines so they decided to plant trees. After some animals were not helping they built a fence and the wind was no longer a bother (well, most of the time).

I have never been to Iceland but the illustrations from the story seem very realistic that i
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
My complaint about this book is the same as the complaint I had about The Problem with Chickens, set, apparently, in the same Icelandic village-- surely all Icelandic village women aren't fat? Is the illustrator trying to equate fat with peasant? I know someone from Iceland, and she's far from fat! Aside from that, the story also got a bit confusing with the chickens, sheep, and cow running around from place to place. I do think their solution to the wind problem was a good one--planting trees-- ...more
Melanie
McMillan tells an original tale of why there are no trees in the Icelandic countryside. It's very windy in Iceland and the ladies keep blowing away. So the women of the village decide to plant trees to slow the wind down. And they keep their chickens very happy so that they will fertilize the newly planted trees. The problem is the sheep; they eat the new trees. So the ladies ask the cows to herd the sheep away from the trees. This works until the sheep eat all the grass and then the cows leave. ...more
John Cruz
Sep 24, 2015 John Cruz rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-a-loud
I think this books starts out slow. I think children would enjoy this book for the colors and the perseverance of the sheep. I would say that the illustrations saved this book. As I read through books to pick to read aloud to the class, I chose this one because it provides a great message that if you put your mind to it you can do anything. The story follows young ladies that live in Iceland and do not like how windy it is. They plant trees in order to stop the wind. Sheep keep coming and eating ...more
Erin
Mar 24, 2015 Erin rated it liked it
Oh, my goodness this book is ridiculous! Funny to read from an adult perspective, but I wouldn't read it in storytime so much.

The ladies in Icelandic towns want to plant trees to be wind blocks for the extremely strong winds. Sounds good so far, right? Well, the ladies buy some trees and plant them. They sing to the chickens to help them make fertilizer for the trees. They also sing to the sheep asking them not to eat the trees. Eventually, this song becomes the most famous song in Iceland. Wha
Stephanie
Apr 28, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stephanie by: Friðrik Guðmundsson
A cute book about Iceland's wind and their trees (or lack thereof).
An adorable story, with great illustrations by McMillan and Gunnella.
Having been to Iceland, this story fits very well with what is seen there. The illustrations are fun, vibrant, and the best part of the book.
I love the rationale and problem solving aspect of this story. I love the "thinking outside the box" approach these women take. Therein lies the genius of these books.
A fun read for kids and adults alike.
Jenny
An original porquoi tale to explain why there are no trees in the countryside of Iceland. These Icelandic women planted trees to block the wind...but the sheep keep eating them. The women don't give up, though, and do their best to find a solution.

Character ed: Could be used to show determination and persistence.
Allison
Nov 04, 2008 Allison rated it it was ok
McMillian, Bruce; How the Ladies Stopped the Wind , Houghton Mifflin Co. Language-G, Sexual Content-G, Violence-G;
In this silly story about wind, ladies, and chickens, we find out how to stop wind and sheep. The ladies want to plant trees to stop the wind, but all the sheep want to do is eat the trees. The chickens so a wonderful job of provide fertilizer. The illustrations are whimsical. While children may not pick this title off the shelf themselves, if read aloud to them, they will want to sh
Ashley
Jan 22, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it
Iceland + sheep + fun illustrations = a unique shareable books that demonstrates just a little bit about Iceland. A place many children probably have never heard of before.
Sarah Brock
I am honestly pretty confused by this book. The storyline seemed to be really random, and I am left wondering what exactly the main idea of the book was. All I am sure of is that the trees were successfully planted to block the wind in the villages. I feel like I missed something while reading though. It is interesting that the men of the village are never mentioned, and I feel like there is something behind that choice of exempting them, but I'm not quite sure what that is.
Jordan
Feb 13, 2012 Jordan added it
This was a cute story to explain why there are trees in the villages of Iceland and not in the countryside. It was okay, but not overly entertaining. The pictures were interesting because all of the women, and other characters looked the same. I think children would probably enjoy it, but at the same time it was a little strange. I was confused by the book because I was not a hundred percent sure what the point was. It was definitely not my favorite.
Hannah
Mar 21, 2012 Hannah rated it did not like it
This book was rather strange, in my opinion. The chickens and sheep seemed like rather out of place characters at the beginning. Eventually their presence in the story made a little bit more sense, but in general the story seemed rather random. It was a cute idea that they planted trees to stop the wind and that explains why there are so many trees in the villages, but the details surrounding it were just strange. I did like the colorfulness of the book, though.
Tara
Feb 29, 2008 Tara rated it really liked it
Iceland is so very WINDY that the Ladies get blown down when they go for their merry afternoon stroll and so soon they devise a plan to plan trees around their village. The chickens provide fertilizer, the cows keep the sheep away and the young Ladies help with planting until though the everyday miracle of nature their problem is solved! Charming collage style illustrations make this a complete package!
Mar 15, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a cute story--offering an "explaination" for why there are no trees in Iceland. Most kids don't know that there aren't trees in Iceland, so that is a new fact, but the story is really charming even without the Iceland element. Particularly appealing are the illustrations, which nicely complement the story, which is quite humorous!
Tamara
Oct 04, 2014 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Iceland, Wind, Sheep, Cows, trees and the return of the Chickens. Delightful. :)
Alicia Jones
This creative tale by McMillan gives the endearing story of how ladies in Iceland were able to stop the wind. This book not only tells a story but also provides some geographical information that could be useful for readers. It is a great story to help children learn about what it takes to endure and be determined in life.
June
Mar 11, 2013 June rated it liked it
Recommends it for: wind and strong female requests
This was the third story for a class visit, that they picked for me to read. It is very windy and some ladies decide to do something about it. This one is shorter than the rest and might work for an older story time of 4 and 5 year olds.
The Library Lady
Sep 27, 2007 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A charming folktale set in Iceland, with delightful art. But I wish Bruce McMillan would go back to doing his wonderful photographic concept books, or would at least manange to get them reissued!
Katrina Sutton
Aug 08, 2012 Katrina Sutton rated it really liked it
Shelves: bedtime-stories
My child and I enjoyed this book when I read it to him at bedtime. Who knew that trees could stop the wind?
Tricia
Feb 28, 2008 Tricia rated it it was ok
strange book. girls seemed to like it though?
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Kim Cassidy
Kim Cassidy rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Kaylee Blevins
Kaylee Blevins marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Penelope
Penelope marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Mary
Mary added it
Jun 27, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Jennifer Ferrer
Jennifer Ferrer rated it really liked it
May 13, 2015