Start by marking “Fungus That Ate My School” as Want to Read:
Fungus That Ate My School

Fungus That Ate My School

When the kids come back to school after a rainy spring vacation, they find that everything is covered with slimy green and purple fuzz. It's fungus! But where did it come from? And how on earth can they get rid of it?
Published April 1st 2000 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fungus That Ate My School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fungus That Ate My School

May 19, 2009 Laura rated it it was ok
This book was merely okay. I wasn't amused with the story or the illustrations. The ending was a tad bit too random and I felt like it could have been much better. Needless to say, I won't be recommending this book anytime soon.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Christina
I remember enjoying sharing this story with my own kids. However, I shared this with a class of 3rd graders and it fell short of expectations. I started with the non-fiction connections with all the types of different fungus. We had a great conversation. Yet the story is not ideal for a read-aloud.

The illustrations (and I love David Catrow for his off-beat exaggerated style) were too crowded for a read-aloud. The kids wondered why there were only three students in the pictures. There was a wool
Dolly
Oct 10, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We love David Catrow's artwork, so whenever we see his inimitable style on the cover of a book, we just have to borrow it. This is a fun tale about a Spring break gone awry when a fungus science project and a very wet week of weather combine for disaster.

The narrative is fun to read aloud and the illustrations are terrific, as always - we love the crazy fungi. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Amy
Jan 31, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
This book was ok. I have to give it three stars because my niece and nephew did seem to enjoy different aspects of it. The pictures did capture their attention, and they did laugh in several places.

The ending did kind of seem to drop off, though, and once the story moved out of the school building it seemed to lose its steam a bit. Probably not the best story we've read all year, but probably not the worst, either.
Trang
Apr 02, 2012 Trang rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-content
Grades 3-5.

Characteristics of fungus and what causes it to grow and spread. Also great for problem solving to allow students to try to figure out why and what conditions allow the fungus to grow and take over the school.
Vee41dmb
Apr 23, 2013 Vee41dmb rated it it was ok
Loved the illustrations!
The story was so - so. Wish they had worked in more of a story line.. how the fungus came to be, as well as what fungus is...
The kids were restless, but it was also gorgeous outside and hard for them to sit still.
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
Nothing is more fun than reading aloud a book about fungus. With pretty, pretty, funny, pretty pictures. We identified unusual features for fungus such as eyes, mouths, little bobble ends, and hands holding brownies. A good way to geek out with a kid.

Library copy.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 42125 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Whitney
Mar 01, 2011 Whitney rated it liked it
I thought it was very colorful and easy to read. There wasn't a moral to the story but it kept you reading to find out what would happen.
Tiffany
Oct 25, 2008 Tiffany rated it liked it
My 5-year-old likes this book. I think it is aimed at a slightly older audience. The illustrations of the out-of-control fungus are fun to examine.
Carol
Dec 09, 2011 Carol rated it liked it
A fungus experiment left in a jar during school break takes over the school. A little creepy, but not too scarey.
Brian James
Brian James rated it it was ok
Oct 29, 2010
Lisa Marie
Lisa Marie rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Goodwin Lu
Nov 03, 2014 Goodwin Lu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent for children; still remember reading it. Loved the memorable last sentence!
James Grasdal
James Grasdal rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Kristina
Kristina rated it did not like it
Dec 06, 2016
Mohammad
Mohammad rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2013
Leah S
May 08, 2012 Leah S is currently reading it
it is vary funny the little chubby boy is cool
Marco Torre
Marco Torre rated it did not like it
Feb 28, 2013
Jennifer French
Jennifer French rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Cindy Huskey
Cindy Huskey rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2014
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2012
Tera Marie
Tera Marie rated it did not like it
Dec 25, 2008
Jennifer Green
Jennifer Green rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
Patrick
Patrick rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2016
Cws
May 20, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR3-Dor
Summer
Summer rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2012
Grant Thomas
Grant Thomas rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2016