Start by marking “Memoires De La Rose” as Want to Read:
Memoires De La Rose

Memoires De La Rose

Reading his wife's lyrical yet frank memoir of their turbulent marriage, it's easy to see why Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944) depicted her as the prince's beloved, difficult Rose in his most famous book, The Little Prince. The French writer's feelings for his Salvadoran wife were passionate from the moment they met in Buenos Aires. On that very first day in 1930, he c ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Memoires De La Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoires De La Rose

Chrissie
Jan 12, 2011 Chrissie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who REALLY love The Little Prince
NO SPOILERS!!!

Having finished the book, I have added a few comments at the end.....

I am reading The Tale of the Rose: The Love Story Behind The Little Prince, and opposite to all the negative reviews given here at GR, I like it. I like it A LOT!!!! I am shocked and dismayed and annoyed by what I read in the GR reviews! First of all, the prose is GOOD. People complain about the translation since Consuelo wrote it in French, yet she is originally Spanish speaking. I don't agree at all! What I will
Elizabeth
I’ll never look at "The Little Prince" the same way again. Antoine Saint-Exupery sounds like the most selfish, appalling, and emotionally abusive character I’ve every read about—ever. His wife’s autobiography is imbued with pain. No woman should suffer like that, forced to live in separate apartments from her husband so that he can conduct his affairs without hindrance. I won't go much deeper and spoil the book, but let's just say that Saint-Exupery always gets what he wants. He probably treated ...more
Brien
May 30, 2011 Brien rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I was reading "The Little Prince," Natalie lent me her copy of this book to read.

For those of you unfamiliar with The Little Prince, it is about a little prince who lives on a small planet all alone. The only companion he has on his small island is a rose - a beautiful, delicate rose with an attitude problem. From the prince's perspective, the rose seems to demand a lot of attention and work, which starts to get on his nerves. He decides he can't take it any more and leaves his planet. He
♡Ann  Matalines♡
...that just being pretty isn't enough for a woman to become and remain part of a man's life.

Their relationship pretty sucks but they are absolute soulmates. It doesn't mean that I understand them. They are bounded by obligation, commitment, promise or whatever you call when something is holding you from getting a divorce. I have my utmost respect to Consuelo. She is truly martyr or loyal even if it wrecks her.

It started off so sweet that I cried for the sugary feels. A whirlwind romance that "
Jordan
Aug 11, 2007 Jordan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off let me admit that I am totally embarrassed now by my review of Saint-Exupery’s Wind, Sand and Stars: “I fell in love with Saint-Exupery while reading this.” My embarrassment has nothing to do with the book, which is the best, it’s that after reading this memoir by his wife, Consuelo, I see that every other woman who ever read his books seems to have had the same reaction. Then they all threw themselves at him and, sadly for Consuelo, he slept with every last one of them.
I wouldn’t say
Lavinia
Thank goodness I eventually managed to finish with this one; it was taking too much. So, having read most of the book's reviews around here, I was kind of determined to hate Saint-Ex. once I finished the book, but while reading it I realized those two had something most of us wouldn't bear: a kind of love-and-hate relationship that would destroy both partners if they were separated for too long and eat them inside if they stayed too much together. So basically, they just went with the flow. Head ...more
Gail
Jan 02, 2013 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting perspective about the author of The Little Prince. What he has to say about love in his book - seems less wonderful when you read about him through the eyes of his wife. I suppose that's life...
Elana Vital
Oct 13, 2016 Elana Vital rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read of the inside perspective on a tumultuous relationship. I am fairly certain that Consuelo was suffering from mental illness: most likely bipolar disorder or NPD. Meanwhile, Antoine's avoidance and restlessness is typical behavior of one who is struggling with coping with a loved one with mental health issues.
Becky Sokolowski
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. The narrative seemed to wander at times, and I had a hard time relating to Consuelo. But this made me want to reread "The Little Prince" now that I have more insight on Saint-Ex's inspiration.
Kat Escobar
Jul 26, 2013 Kat Escobar marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe that I've discovered this book just now!!! I've cried a several times in The Little Prince, now knowing there was actually a sequel. I need to find this book!!
Ghost of the Library
How to rate this one, being such a personal,unique tale? For style of writing i would say a 3.5 but for what it showed me i will give it a 5.

I doubt theres that many people around that haven't heard of Saint Exupery and his Little Prince tale - the aviator stranded in the desert that comes meets a young prince on a voyage across the stars - and of this young princes devotion/love for his rose, the most beautiful perfect rose in the universe, that he cant live with/ without.
Well did you know that
Steve Martin
Jan 20, 2017 Steve Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for Saint Ex fans.

Having read all of Saint Exupery's books, this was the perfect finish to the journey. Engrossing, enlightening and very sad for me, as I realized that my childhood hero that in part inspired me to become a pilot, had feet of clay.
B-zee
Feb 09, 2017 B-zee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written love letter. The truth was painful, but human hearts are really a mysterious place.
Bindu Manoj
If you have read the "The Little Prince' by Antoine de Saint-Exupery and felt sorry for the boy who pined for his Rose, you are in for a rude shock. As the title suggests, this is the story of 'The Rose' as told by her.

Twice widowed Consuelo meets the aviator Antoine in Buenos Aires and before she can even think of what is happening, gets caught up in the whirl wind world of romance and subsequent marriage to him. The story takes us through their tumultuous lives from Paris to Casablanca, back t
Rune
May 11, 2010 Rune rated it liked it
In this book Consuelo de Saint Exupéry tells the story about her stormy marriage to the famous Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. My God! What a mess! Antoine is a womanizer of the first degree, but at the same time he apparently wants to maintain his marriage to Consuelo. Antoine is a total chaotic, he all the time fly around, crashes and gets seriously wounded, move around all over the world and have innumerable affairs with other woman, especially after he becomes a global household name. But he must ...more
AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call #: 848.91 Saint-Exupery

Madeleine - 2 stars
This is the memoir of the woman who inspired the rose in the Little Prince. I'm not sure if it's because she wrote it in French even though her native tongue is Spanish that caused the stories to seem abrupt and disjointed. I surely would be writting funny if I tried to switch to Spanish right now. I almost never read a book's introduction but I am glad I did in this instance as it pointed out that fact:

"A year or two after Antoine's disappearan
Madeleine
TCL Call #: 848.91 Saint-Exupery

"A year or two after Antoine's disappearance [on a reconnais
Basma
Feb 03, 2014 Basma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
(3.5) I liked reading this book, even though both Consuelo and Antoine seem a bit nuts; maybe that's just because the book was a translation or maybe that's just how I see it.. They both described each other as being childish, which I think explains the mindset Antoine had when he wrote The Little Prince. Though I was a bit disappointed reading about who he was back then; because I had created this certain image of an author solely based on a children's book he wrote that I loved. Sometimes her ...more
Jasmin Cheng
This is a very intimate view of Consuelo and Antoine's relationship. The beginning of the story was especially lovely while Antoine was still flying the mail routes. The read became quite painful after he becomes a celebrated writer, when Consuelo confesses to the pain of becoming distanced from the man she married, and publicly humiliated by his infidelities. At the same time, I wanted to stop reading because I love St-Exupery's writing so much that I didn't really want to hear about his negati ...more
Marcy
Jul 07, 2012 Marcy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge fan of "The Little Prince," although it has been so many years since I read it perhaps my feelings about it would be different now. I knew nothing about the author nor anything about his wife who wrote this memoir. I am not sure that I know much more about either one now, except they had quite the tumultuous marriage. But most of the memoir has a kind of whiney tone and a lot of melodramatic histrionics from the narrator about her multiple separations from her husband. She travele ...more
Libby
Feb 23, 2014 Libby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This tale of the relationship of Consuelo and Antoine de Saint-Exupery is compelling and harrowing. Because of the obsessional nature of the relationship and their emotional fragility, both are unable to either make a go of the relationship or end it. I found it painful to read about the ways Antoine (Tonio) manipulated Consuelo and lied to her about his machinations and how she kept on going back to him even when she expressed the desire to get a divorce. I guess, for some people, being a muse ...more
Mk
Jul 30, 2016 Mk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story of love and the crazy things it makes one do. The enigmatic and selfish personality of Antoine is placed in the open and Consuelo endures through it all because of love. We have all done crazy things in the name of love so I'm not the one to judge and times were different back then. It's a good narrative into their lives and the times. If you like The Little Prince then this is definitely worth a read.
Furaha
Jan 16, 2014 Furaha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves "The Little Prince
Everything I expected, and more. It is an intriguing look into their complicated love life, and particularly mesmerizing if you love "The Little Prince". The rose is such an integral part of that book, and this is a behind the scenes look at where she came from. Seeing how Consuelo was Antoine's rose tugged at my heartstrings on more than one occasion while reading this. The vivid imagery was and attention to detail made this an engrossing read.
Pattiey
Jan 03, 2009 Pattiey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For readers (lovers) of The Little Prince, this is a must read. Although the main character, and author, is a weak-willed doormat of a antagonist, you understand her mindset as she has documented her thought process and emotions fully. The Little Prince is an entirely different novel to those who have read this.
Scott
Sep 11, 2007 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Many people didn't like this book because it ruined their image of the author of "The Little Prince". He was very erratic and had many, many affairs. I was prepared for this, and actually like seeing the human side of people, even if it is sometimes unpretty.

I didn't like this book because it boring. It definitely drags throughout the whole thing and really isn't much of a "love story".
Nadja
Jul 31, 2010 Nadja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: german-books
Eine faszinierende Liebesgeschichte, erzählt aus der Sicht der stets wartenden, oft verlassenen Pilotenfrau, deren Rolle im Leben des berühmten Autors zu Unrecht unterschätzt wird. So wie sie schreibt wird deutlich: Consuelo de Saint-Exupéry ist mehr als die Rose des kleinen Prinzen! Dieses Buch hat meine Sicht auf Antoine de Saint-Exupéry total verändert...
Nancy
May 28, 2011 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Antoine De Saint-Exupery's wife's memoirs of their relationship. In all its dysfunctional glory. It's interesting, and I wanted to read it, to explain the Rose metaphor in the Little Prince. A quick and dramatic read, but a bit too much like an emo princess blog for my tastes. She was way ahead of her time!
Joan
Apr 21, 2012 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, such a detailed story of a relationship on which so much contradictory material had been previously written. It really exposed the difficulties of being a "good" wife when your spouse comes from a different mind set, and how the ethos of a time period influences people. Highly readable book if you like romance, history of WWII, ethical dilemmas.
Maria Carmo
Dec 18, 2009 Maria Carmo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I read this book years ago and what I most enjoyed in it was the fact that gives us a tottally different perspective on the author, his somehow "excessive" personnality, larger than life, and the difficult balance of his and Consuelo's feelings and relationship.

For those who like to understand the "background" of writer's lifes and their loved ones!

Maria Carmo
Michaela
Dec 17, 2013 Michaela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of a terrible yet oddly beautiful marriage. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry may be the world's worst husband, and Consuelo the most passive, submissive wife, but the writing here is strangely intoxicating and touches on the truth about many relationships and their imbalances and abuses. Raises a lot of questions about unconditional love and if love is even a smart idea in the first place.
Around the World: France: Chrissie Recommends The Tale of the Rose 1 11 Oct 01, 2011 12:53PM
  • Zombification: Stories from National Public Radio
  • Love Always
  • The Book of Absinthe: A Cultural History
  • Oleander, Jacaranda: A Childhood Perceived
  • Mad World: Evelyn Waugh and the Secrets of Brideshead
  • Vittoria Cottage (Dering Family, #1)
  • White Mischief
  • Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • L'amore mi perseguita
  • The Homecoming Party
  • Molly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She?

“I look sad because I don't have the courage to escape from you. And I think I don't want to understand the truth: for you, I am nothing but a dream. You like to play with life, you're not afraid of anything, not even of me. But I want you to know that I am not an object or a doll: I don't change faces on command, I like to sit down every day in the same place, on my own chair, and I know that you, you like to leave, to go to a new place every day. ” 45 likes
“A love like that was a serious illness, an illness from which you never entirely recover.” 30 likes