Start by marking “Memoires De La Rose” as Want to Read:
Memoires De La Rose

Memoires De La Rose

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Reading his wife's lyrical yet frank memoir of their turbulent marriage, it's easy to see why Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944) depicted her as the prince's beloved, difficult Rose in his most famous book, The Little Prince. The French writer's feelings for his Salvadoran wife were passionate from the moment they met in Buenos Aires. On that very first day in 1930, he c ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Memoires De La Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoires De La Rose

Chrissie
Aug 01, 2013 Chrissie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who REALLY love The Little Prince
NO SPOILERS!!!

Having finished the book, I have added a few comments at the end.....

I am reading The Tale of the Rose: The Love Story Behind The Little Prince, and opposite to all the negative reviews given here at GR, I like it. I like it A LOT!!!! I am shocked and dismayed and annoyed by what I read in the GR reviews! First of all, the prose is GOOD. People complain about the translation since Consuelo wrote it in French, yet she is originally Spanish speaking. I don't agree at all! What I will
Elizabeth
I’ll never look at "The Little Prince" the same way again. Antoine Saint-Exupery sounds like the most selfish, appalling, and emotionally abusive character I’ve every read about—ever. His wife’s autobiography is imbued with pain. No woman should suffer like that, forced to live in separate apartments from her husband so that he can conduct his affairs without hindrance. I won't go much deeper and spoil the book, but let's just say that Saint-Exupery always gets what he wants. He probably treated ...more
Lavinia
Thank goodness I eventually managed to finish with this one; it was taking too much. So, having read most of the book's reviews around here, I was kind of determined to hate Saint-Ex. once I finished the book, but while reading it I realized those two had something most of us wouldn't bear: a kind of love-and-hate relationship that would destroy both partners if they were separated for too long and eat them inside if they stayed too much together. So basically, they just went with the flow. Head ...more
Jordan
First off let me admit that I am totally embarrassed now by my review of Saint-Exupery’s Wind, Sand and Stars: “I fell in love with Saint-Exupery while reading this.” My embarrassment has nothing to do with the book, which is the best, it’s that after reading this memoir by his wife, Consuelo, I see that every other woman who ever read his books seems to have had the same reaction. Then they all threw themselves at him and, sadly for Consuelo, he slept with every last one of them.
I wouldn’t say
Brien
While I was reading "The Little Prince," Natalie lent me her copy of this book to read.

For those of you unfamiliar with The Little Prince, it is about a little prince who lives on a small planet all alone. The only companion he has on his small island is a rose - a beautiful, delicate rose with an attitude problem. From the prince's perspective, the rose seems to demand a lot of attention and work, which starts to get on his nerves. He decides he can't take it any more and leaves his planet. He
Basma Amin
(3.5) I liked reading this book, even though both Consuelo and Antoine seem a bit nuts; maybe that's just because the book was a translation or maybe that's just how I see it.. They both described each other as being childish, which I think explains the mindset Antoine had when he wrote The Little Prince. Though I was a bit disappointed reading about who he was back then; because I had created this certain image of an author solely based on a children's book he wrote that I loved. Sometimes her ...more
Becky Sokolowski
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. The narrative seemed to wander at times, and I had a hard time relating to Consuelo. But this made me want to reread "The Little Prince" now that I have more insight on Saint-Ex's inspiration.
Gail
Interesting perspective about the author of The Little Prince. What he has to say about love in his book - seems less wonderful when you read about him through the eyes of his wife. I suppose that's life...
Jasmin Cheng
This is a very intimate view of Consuelo and Antoine's relationship. The beginning of the story was especially lovely while Antoine was still flying the mail routes. The read became quite painful after he becomes a celebrated writer, when Consuelo confesses to the pain of becoming distanced from the man she married, and publicly humiliated by his infidelities. At the same time, I wanted to stop reading because I love St-Exupery's writing so much that I didn't really want to hear about his negati ...more
Kat Escobar
Jul 26, 2013 Kat Escobar marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe that I've discovered this book just now!!! I've cried a several times in The Little Prince, now knowing there was actually a sequel. I need to find this book!!
Madeleine
TCL Call #: 848.91 Saint-Exupery

This is the memoir of the woman who inspired the rose in the Little Prince. I'm not sure if it's because she wrote it in French even though her native tongue is Spanish that caused the stories to seem abrupt and disjointed. I surely would be writting funny if I tried to switch to Spanish right now. I almost never read a book's introduction but I am glad I did in this instance as it pointed out that fact:

"A year or two after Antoine's disappearance [on a reconnais
AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call #: 848.91 Saint-Exupery

Madeleine - 2 stars

"A year or two after Antoine's disappearan
Rune
In this book Consuelo de Saint Exupéry tells the story about her stormy marriage to the famous Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. My God! What a mess! Antoine is a womanizer of the first degree, but at the same time he apparently wants to maintain his marriage to Consuelo. Antoine is a total chaotic, he all the time fly around, crashes and gets seriously wounded, move around all over the world and have innumerable affairs with other woman, especially after he becomes a global household name. But he must ...more
Bindu Manoj
If you have read the "The Little Prince' by Antoine de Saint-Exupery and felt sorry for the boy who pined for his Rose, you are in for a rude shock. As the title suggests, this is the story of 'The Rose' as told by her.

Twice widowed Consuelo meets the aviator Antoine in Buenos Aires and before she can even think of what is happening, gets caught up in the whirl wind world of romance and subsequent marriage to him. The story takes us through their tumultuous lives from Paris to Casablanca, back t
Libby
This tale of the relationship of Consuelo and Antoine de Saint-Exupery is compelling and harrowing. Because of the obsessional nature of the relationship and their emotional fragility, both are unable to either make a go of the relationship or end it. I found it painful to read about the ways Antoine (Tonio) manipulated Consuelo and lied to her about his machinations and how she kept on going back to him even when she expressed the desire to get a divorce. I guess, for some people, being a muse ...more
Diane
Their life together and apart was an interesting comment on life in France during the 1930s and 1940s - living in the city, in the country. Quite rambling, stream of consciousness writing. It wasn't clear to me if this is a life "remembered" or as events unfolded, more like a diary.
Sandra
It was amazing in that it made me think (really think) about the love between a husband and wife (especially 2 creative people in a relationship) and how love transcends all hardships, personality quirks, flaws, etc. I love books that make me think!!!!!
Marcy
I'm not a huge fan of "The Little Prince," although it has been so many years since I read it perhaps my feelings about it would be different now. I knew nothing about the author nor anything about his wife who wrote this memoir. I am not sure that I know much more about either one now, except they had quite the tumultuous marriage. But most of the memoir has a kind of whiney tone and a lot of melodramatic histrionics from the narrator about her multiple separations from her husband. She travele ...more
Izabela Kolar Furjan
Memoari ruže 180 Ljubavna priča autora Malog princa
Profil 2005 953-120-125-0
Audrey
TW: emotional abuse, gaslighting
Furaha
Apr 23, 2014 Furaha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves "The Little Prince
Everything I expected, and more. It is an intriguing look into their complicated love life, and particularly mesmerizing if you love "The Little Prince". The rose is such an integral part of that book, and this is a behind the scenes look at where she came from. Seeing how Consuelo was Antoine's rose tugged at my heartstrings on more than one occasion while reading this. The vivid imagery was and attention to detail made this an engrossing read.
Michaela
The story of a terrible yet oddly beautiful marriage. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry may be the world's worst husband, and Consuelo the most passive, submissive wife, but the writing here is strangely intoxicating and touches on the truth about many relationships and their imbalances and abuses. Raises a lot of questions about unconditional love and if love is even a smart idea in the first place.
Scott
Many people didn't like this book because it ruined their image of the author of "The Little Prince". He was very erratic and had many, many affairs. I was prepared for this, and actually like seeing the human side of people, even if it is sometimes unpretty.

I didn't like this book because it boring. It definitely drags throughout the whole thing and really isn't much of a "love story".
Linda
Students of French literature learn somewhere along the way that Antoine de Saint Exupery based the character of the rose in The Little Prince on his wife Consuela with whom he had a complicated relationship. Consuela's tale is of Saint Exupery's betrayals and infidelities, but ultimately their love for each other, in their own way - a very tempestuous relationship indeed.
Maria Carmo
I read this book years ago and what I most enjoyed in it was the fact that gives us a tottally different perspective on the author, his somehow "excessive" personnality, larger than life, and the difficult balance of his and Consuelo's feelings and relationship.

For those who like to understand the "background" of writer's lifes and their loved ones!

Maria Carmo
Nadja
Eine faszinierende Liebesgeschichte, erzählt aus der Sicht der stets wartenden, oft verlassenen Pilotenfrau, deren Rolle im Leben des berühmten Autors zu Unrecht unterschätzt wird. So wie sie schreibt wird deutlich: Consuelo de Saint-Exupéry ist mehr als die Rose des kleinen Prinzen! Dieses Buch hat meine Sicht auf Antoine de Saint-Exupéry total verändert...
Joan
Wow, such a detailed story of a relationship on which so much contradictory material had been previously written. It really exposed the difficulties of being a "good" wife when your spouse comes from a different mind set, and how the ethos of a time period influences people. Highly readable book if you like romance, history of WWII, ethical dilemmas.
Elizabeth
My journal entry from 2002 reports:

"i really felt for consuelo de saint-exupery - her husband was constantly leaving her and then coming back and reclaiming her heart at the most inopportune times. his words for her were so beautiful - i wish i was proficient enough to read that book and the little prince in the original language."
Pattiey
For readers (lovers) of The Little Prince, this is a must read. Although the main character, and author, is a weak-willed doormat of a antagonist, you understand her mindset as she has documented her thought process and emotions fully. The Little Prince is an entirely different novel to those who have read this.
Debbie
Reading this all but ruined my feelings about The Little Prince, which I for many years have counted among my favorites for its provocative innocence. This is so dysfunctional it is embarrassing. This is a story better left untold, utterly disappointing and self obsessed. Don't waste one minute of your time on this.
Around the World ...: Chrissie Recommends The Tale of the Rose 1 11 Oct 01, 2011 12:53PM
  • The Homecoming Party
  • Local Wonders: Seasons in the Bohemian Alps
  • I, Hogarth: A Novel
  • Story of My Life: The Autobiography of George Sand (Suny Series, Women Writers in Translation)
  • Zombification: Stories from National Public Radio
  • Saint-Exupéry
  • The New Countess (Love & Inheritance Trilogy, #3)
  • The Amazing Remarkable Monsieur Leotard
  • Vittoria Cottage (Dering Family, #1)
  • Tomorrow to Be Brave: A Memoir of the Only Woman Ever to Serve in the French Foreign Legion
  • On a Day Like This
  • When French Women Cook: A Gastronomic Memoir
  • Myself When Young
  • Mad World: Evelyn Waugh and the Secrets of Brideshead
  • Zelda Fitzgerald: Her Voice in Paradise
  • Decca: The Letters of Jessica Mitford
  • New England Soup Factory Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes from the Nation's Best Purveyor of Fine Soup
  • Harriette Wilson's Memoirs: The Greatest Courtesan of Her Age
Sonntagsbriefe. Kingdom of the rocks; memories of Oppède

“I look sad because I don't have the courage to escape from you. And I think I don't want to understand the truth: for you, I am nothing but a dream. You like to play with life, you're not afraid of anything, not even of me. But I want you to know that I am not an object or a doll: I don't change faces on command, I like to sit down every day in the same place, on my own chair, and I know that you, you like to leave, to go to a new place every day. ” 41 likes
“A love like that was a serious illness, an illness from which you never entirely recover.” 25 likes