Start by marking “The 9/11 Report” as Want to Read:
The 9/11 Report

The 9/11 Report

3.67  ·  Rating Details ·  1,363 Ratings  ·  218 Reviews
The 9/11 Report for Every American
On December 5, 2005, the 9/11 Commission issued its final report card on the government’s fulfillment of the recommendations issued in July 2004: one A, twelve Bs, nine Cs, twelve Ds, three Fs, and four incompletes. Here is stunning evidence that Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colón, with more than sixty years of experience in the comic-book indus
Published January 11th 2007 by Hill & Wang (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The 9/11 Report, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 9/11 Report

Greta
This was a textbook-like, tough read. I only recommend it to readers who have a special interest in American counterterrorism and politics.

Could have been so much more engaging and gripping, if the author hadn't included every single detail of the original report in this graphic adaptation. This abundance of facts has resulted in an extremely boring read.

The top notch artwork couldn't save this, unfortunately.
Richie Partington
Jul 15, 2013 Richie Partington rated it it was amazing
03 April 2007 THE 9/11 REPORT: A GRAPHIC ADAPTATION by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon, Hill and Wang, 2006, ISBN: 0-8090-5738-7

"The Commission Recommends:

WE SHOULD OFFER AN EXAMPLE OF MORAL LEADERSHIP COMMITTED TO TREAT PEOPLE HUMANELY, ABIDE BY THE RULE OF LAW, AND BE GENEROUS AND CARING TO OUR NEIGHBORS. THE VISION OF THE FUTURE SHOULD STRESS LIFE OVER DEATH: INDIVIDUAL EDUCATIONAL AND ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY."

I have never read the 9/11 Commission's report. And while I've questioned my own ability
Jordan
Jan 11, 2015 Jordan rated it did not like it
I recently read the book "The 9/11 Report" by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon, and it was terrible because it was not organized well. This book is a graphic representation of the unfortunate events that took place on September 11, 2001. Two major themes in this book are terrorism and failures by the U.S. from 1979-2001. The first theme was terrorism. The authors use a lot of evidence in the book about terrorism and what the causes and the effects are. The second major theme was that the U.S. did a ...more
James
An excellent job with a few flaws - some key factors that weren't mentioned or were glossed over, e.g. the way that a number of Bin Laden's family were flown out of the U.S. while civilian flights were grounded. Still, the idea of presenting the content of the 9/11 Commission's report in this graphic novel format is ingenious and the execution very well done, a better job of presenting a mass of detail and maintaining an appropriate tone than I anticipated.
Kristin
Dec 08, 2009 Kristin rated it it was ok
The concept for this graphic novel was great -- take the massive 9/11 report; illustrate it; pare it down to the basic need-to-know info about the history leading up to 9/11, the major players, who to blame and why, etc. . . .

But the execution lacked efficient organization and, often, strong writing. When someone takes a nonfiction subject and uses the graphic novel as the medium through which to illuminate that subject, usually the goal is to make things less muddled, not more.

Language should
Martha
Jun 05, 2010 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for every American. An excellent summary of the 9/11 Panel's findings without the 1000-plus pages of the original report issued by the Panel. The illustrations are concise and serious; no "comic book" feel at all. I first heard about this book when the authors were interviewed on NPR; I was impressed with how they took this project seriously and how they felt very strongly that they needed to make the most critical information accessible to as many people as possible.
This is recent h
Mischenko
Nov 20, 2016 Mischenko rated it it was amazing
I never read the original 9/11 report because it was so long. I tried, but it seemed boring to me. I've read so many books on September 11th, but none like this.I found this one and thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad I did. The organization was pretty good and easy to follow except for a few small portions. I learned facts that I previously hadn't learned. Every frame was interesting. I would recommend it to all.
Alex Telander
Nov 02, 2007 Alex Telander rated it liked it
THE 9/11 REPORT: A GRAPHIC ADAPTATION BY SID JACOBSON AND ERNIE COLON: Naturally, this graphic adaptation has been getting a lot of flack from different people related to the September 11th attacks, because they still feel that comics are for a child’s enjoyment, to entertain and encourage a child’s humor, and they don’t know that in some ways they can do more than books in both informing through words and explaining through art. Sometimes a lot more can be said through a picture with words.

I ha
Ford
Sep 16, 2015 Ford rated it it was amazing
September 11, 2001, 8:45 am, how could this possibly be happening? It seemed like a normal day in New York City and then BAM!, the deadliest terrorist attack ever on American soil. The 9/11 Report by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colón is a book that tells the story of 9/11. This amazing, but scary book mentions the incident minute by minute, as seen in the following quote: “At 8:46, American Flight 11 crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center in New York City.” (pg 9) We also learn about ...more
Ali
May 23, 2009 Ali rated it it was ok
This graphic novel, which I ran into in the comics section of my local bookstore today, is astoundingly simplistic and generally, badly done. It is a dry and weak chapter-for-chapter adaptation of the 9/11 Commission Report, and has little merit apart from an unusually moving chapter on first responders. There are a lot of things a graphic novel can accomplish that a block of text cannot, but this is an awful misuse of a form that makes elegant and exceptional storytelling possible. This is a wo ...more
E. Ozols
Apr 25, 2013 E. Ozols rated it liked it
I'm torn on this book. On the one hand, I really liked the idea behind it- take an important yet dense government report that everyone should (but almost nobody will) read and make it more accessible and appealing to a different audience. And in that regard I guess it worked on me- reading the real report has been on my to-do list for years and was likely to stay that way until I discovered this graphic novel and figured I would give it a try. I read the whole thing in about four days (very quic ...more
Jarrett Bell
So disappointing. I found this book for a recommended list of graphic novels for 6th graders. There is a fat chance that a 12-year-old could or would want to read this book. Even for a graphic novel, the text is so small and the pages so cluttered it was way overstimulating. Rather than try to pack the whole 9/11 Report into a graphic novel, they should have just condensed the main ideas to create a fluid graphic novel.
Emily
Sep 25, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
I am always a fan of making complex information accessible. This graphic novel is unexpectedly good at making the very muddled timeline leading up to 9/11 understandable, while at once communicating the underlying problems of our intelligence community. As a classroom resource, this could be invaluable in explaining the change that happened in our country after 9/11, especially to a generation of students who did not experience it.
Katie
Aug 21, 2007 Katie rated it really liked it
It was a little hard to get through, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't used to reading comics. Overall though it's VERY interesting and communicates information to a reading base who might not get the message otherwise- like me : )
that cute little red-eyed kitten
I really liked the first parts, but when it came to policy suggestions and recommended changes to US security, I didn't feel that the comic book format was very well-suited anymore. Very good job on the rest, though.
Sheila
May 09, 2010 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-50-a-year
This book is beautifully illustrated and makes it easier to understand the very complex events that led to the 9/11 attacks. I highly recommend this as a compelling guide to study this historical event.
htanzil
Jul 01, 2009 htanzil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enam tahun telah berlalu sejak gedung World Trade Center New York dihantam dua pesawat dan runtuh pada 11 September. Masih segar dalam ingatan kita ketika Presiden George W. Bush begitu geram dan menyatakan perang terhadap terorisme. Setahun lebih setelah serangan terror ini, Bush membentuk komisi Nasional Serangan Teroris ke Amrika Serikat. Komisi yang beranggotakan 10 orang ini kemudian dikenal sebagai “Komisi 9/11” atau "Kean/Zelikow Commission"

Komisi 9/11 bekerja selama dua setengah tahun da
Gavin Fister
Dec 20, 2016 Gavin Fister rated it really liked it
Shelves: period-3-english
I felt that this book did a great job at explaining the reasons why the 9/11 attack was so easy for the terrorists, and how the U.S. can better prepare for another attack.
Jake La
Jan 24, 2016 Jake La rated it liked it
I read a lot of science-fiction and fantasy, but sometimes I wonder if all those epic battles, thrilling worlds and imaginative scenarios might just be a little too exciting. Dangerously thought-provoking. So sometimes, to alleviate all the strain that comes from wonder, creativity and awe, I have to dive right into your plain, old-fashioned recreational reading like a lengthy government document. I tell you, there’s nothing like a tedious analysis of our nation’s security capabilities to make m ...more
Melissa Mcavoy
Apr 02, 2014 Melissa Mcavoy rated it really liked it
The official 911 report is 800 pages long; this graphic adaptation remains true to the report but clarifies and condenses it. The combination of visuals and text show what happened, what led up to the attack, who knew about it and when. The book conveys the 911 Commission’s findings on government agencies’ communication gaps and failures.

Jacobson and Colon deserve nothing but praise for this innovative and brilliant adaptation of an important document most of us will never read. There are few hi
martinjost.eu
Aug 03, 2014 martinjost.eu rated it it was ok
Nach den Terroranschlägen auf die USA vom 11. September 2001 wurde eine Kommission eingesetzt, die die Ereignisse von vielen Seiten beleuchten sollte. Die “National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States”. Die Kommission untersuchte das Vorgehen der Flugzeugattentäter am 11. September, aber auch die politische Vorgeschichte, in der Infrastruktur und Taktiken entstehen konnten, die zusammenfassend als “New Terrorism” bezeichnet werden.

Der Bericht der Kommission zeigt viele Momente
Jason
Sep 17, 2012 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jason by: Leslie Myrick
While I disagree with Stan Lee that this sets a new standard for graphic storytelling, I will say that the author and artist certainly deserve credit for trying to render an official government report (hardly a model of gripping prose) into a more readily accessible graphic (i.e., comic book) format.

My problems with this book have less to do with the actual graphic adaptation itself, which is adequate if not brilliant, and more to do with the Commission Report upon which it is based. While I do
Will
Jan 12, 2015 Will rated it it was amazing
Jake Ritschel
Feb 01, 2016 Jake Ritschel rated it really liked it
Before writing this review, the general mission statement of the work should be addressed. To start, this graphic novel is based on the 9/11 Commission Report, and was endorsed by the Chair and Vice Chair of the commission. And though I’ve never read the 9/11 Commision Report, the intention of the authors was to represent the findings of that report in graphic novel form, ostensibly in such a way that makes the content more easily digestible to common Americans; an undertaking that was rather su ...more
Julia P
Dec 13, 2010 Julia P rated it really liked it
From 8:46 on the morning of September 11th, America completely changed. Two hijacked fuel-filled planes crashed into the twin towers, killing thousands of lives and injuring many people. After the second plane hit (flight 175) we were positive that this tragic scheme was no accident.
What is the history behind it? Who did it? Why would anyone ever do something so horrible? Why would someone care so much about killing Americans that they didn't mind getting killed in the process? These are common
Will
Mar 01, 2017 Will rated it liked it
This was an okay book, but it just wasn't what I thought it was. It was more about the events leading up to 9/11.
Isaac Collins
Oct 02, 2013 Isaac Collins rated it liked it
I have recently read the book, "The 9/11 Report," it was written by Sid Jacobson. It is a great story about the terrorist attack on September 11, 2001. I learned so many new things about the attack and I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wanted to know more about 9/11.

The purpose of this book is that Sid Jacobson wanted us to know everything that happened on 9/11, meaning who set it up, who was involved, and how the government reacted to it. Sid Jacobson wanted us to know ever
Nick

I happened to notice this in my local library the other day, and, realizing I'd never read the actual 9/11 Report, and what with recent terrorist activity on the world stage, I reckoned I would revisit the tragedy of September 11 -- which I recall watching unfold on a floor mate's college dorm room television.

The 9/11 Report: A Graphic Adaptation seems to be a decent way to read the report. It features helpful illustrations, very useful graphic timelines of the four planes' trajectories and cata
Elizabeth
May 27, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to know what really happened on the day and leading up to it
I read about this book in The New Yorker , so when I saw on the shelves of The Baltimore Chop, a bookstore I felt obliged to patronize, I picked it up.

What happened? Could we have prevented it? Could we have responded better when it did happen? What lessons can we draw from it?

These are the questions the 9/11 Commission set out to answer in their 600-page report that, surprisingly enough, not many people read. Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon concluded that it was not from a lack of interest in f
Sue
Feb 22, 2017 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting although disdurbing read. A much easier read than the actual 911 report.
Great Books: The 9/11 Report Chapters 1-3 16 11 Jan 30, 2014 06:24PM
  • Health Care Reform: What It Is, Why It's Necessary, How It Works
  • The Influencing Machine: Brooke Gladstone on the Media
  • The Stuff of Life: A Graphic Guide to Genetics and DNA
  • The Beats: A Graphic History
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Donner Dinner Party (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #3)
  • Resistance (Resistance, #1)