Start by marking “New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One” as Want to Read:
New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One

New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  494 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
NEW PATHWAYS ignites a bright new era for sock knitters everywhere!

-- knit the 2 little learning socks, and you re ready for 8 new styles of sock architecture
-- over 400 colorful illustrations and photos
-- your choice of dpn s, 2 circs, or 1 long circ
-- 28 unique patterns, with 8 for babies
-- 8 Master Patterns - 1 for each architectural style
-- Master Pattern sizing f
Published 2007 by Passing Paws Press

To ask other readers questions about New Pathways for Sock Knitters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Pathways for Sock Knitters

Kim
Jan 17, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Experienced Knitters
Shelves: knitting
This book has brilliant, innovative designs. However, the layout is awful. I understand that some of this is due to the author's desire for the patterns to be variable, so all the toes are in one section & the heels in another. The result is that it's very frustrating to knit even a so-called "master" pattern because you are having to constantly flip between pages. Plus the instructions are not always clearly written. There were several points where I had to try and decipher what I was suppo ...more
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Sep 11, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: intermediate or adventurous knitters
I think the patterns in this book gave me a better idea of what is involved in designing a pattern. Bordhi doesn't only show us "what" or "how", she shares her "why". Those who might be ready to try a bit of redesigning sock knitting patterns could certainly justify the cost of this book.

The only reason I'm not rushing right to my stash to begin some of these is because I read the second book first, and wanted to try that version.
Mycroft
Jun 22, 2011 Mycroft rated it really liked it
On the one hand, this is exceptionally innovative, both in terms of how one can move around the gusset and how this will work with different patterns. For example, if one puts the gusset on the bottom of the foot, one can keep the pattern going around the top and sides of the foot. Some enable one to keep the pattern going over the heel. Nifty, right?

The down side, though, is the sometimes excessive complexity in calculations. Bordhi assigns a bunch of letters to various things that mean someth
Kristen
Apr 07, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: pattern-heads
Shelves: knitting
I really love when knitting book authors think about why they are doing something a particular way instead of just adding crap to traditional patterns. This author has completely broken down socks to what shape they need to be and made patterns accordingly, ditching European traditions when they don't serve the function of the sock. I love the Chinese-menu style of the patterns, although it has made it necessary to carry the whole book until I learn some by heart. Fortunately everything is so cl ...more
Diane
Jun 13, 2010 Diane rated it really liked it
A book for those who are already familiar with knitting socks and their architecture - the different parts used to form a sock structure.

Cat Bordhi has discovered a different way to construct socks, one without the use of gussets. Since I happen to think the gusset is the worst part of knitting a sock I was delighted to find that those increases may be distributed anywhere between the toe and the top of the ankle bone, including the sole.

For designers this means a great deal more freedom in dist
Heather
Mar 15, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: almost any sock knitter
Recommended to Heather by: my local yarn shop
Shelves: knitting
Own it, love it, just about used it to death. Read carefully, do the sample socks to understand what's going on, and know that Cat Bordhi has a YouTube channel with videos where she explains some of the concepts for those who learn better in that manner. Some sock types you'll love and others won't work as well on your feet. That's normal for this method - I recommend finding the one or ones that work for you and then going with those.

I've cut the spine off of my copy because it's getting pretty
Jill
Dec 28, 2014 Jill rated it liked it
Some of the patterns were ones which I actually had to knit up to understand what was intended.
Ideath
Jul 20, 2009 Ideath rated it really liked it
This book is making me do things that i have been putting off... like following an entire pattern all the way to the end, and swatching properly, and using stitch markers. The patterns are clever and creative - i love the geometric thinking that underlies her structural explorations, and the practicality of the math that makes all of the patterns adjustable to different needles and yarns. My only complaint is that i end up turning forward and back in the book like mad, as techniques, calculation ...more
Emily
Jul 20, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
Fascinating to read, even if I never knit from this book. Perfect for someone who has mastered the regular sock patterns and needs a challenge.
Nov 09, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: knitters & designers
I refer to this book often for it's techniques and charts. Great book for anyone who wants to understand the mechanics of sock knitting, but also for those who simply want to make socks simply and creatively.

I use the Riverbed "sockitecture" for most of the socks I knit for my autistic nephew because it creates such a smooth, comfortable seamless line. These socks seem to be his favorites to wear.
Hester
Jan 08, 2010 Hester rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: knitters
Shelves: knitting, how-to
When I first read this book, I thought it was brilliant. Now that I have read other sock-knitting books, I think the author has over-sold herself. I still, however, think it is a fantastic book and I highly recommend it as the probably the best book to teach how to knit socks. I have used it to knit socks for babies and for my fiance with size 13 feet.
Becky
Sep 01, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
While my dislike for the author has been well documented, I can't deny that she attacks sock knitting from directions I didn't even know existed. If you're not a sock knitter, I doubt you can imagine how kick ass it is to free the increases (or decreases should you be a top-downer) from the gusset but trust me when I say it's super kick ass!
Kathy
Apr 03, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: sock knitters
Recommended to Kathy by: I wanted a toe up sock book and found this one!
Shelves: knitting
I use this book over and over to knit socks. It has all the math to measure a person's foot and figure out how to make a sock to fit them, regardless of if they have a wide or narrow foot, heel, high or low arch. Great charts and math to do calculate how to tailor socks. And some great toe up techniques. One of my favorites.
Ann Johnson Davis
Aug 04, 2008 Ann Johnson Davis rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting-books
Good and creative information, horrible editing. I like what Cat Bordhi has to share with me, but the confusing lay-out is very off-putting. Others have managed to write excellent sock books w/o making me read each section 10 times to grasp the concepts.
Kirstin
Dec 12, 2011 Kirstin rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. I don't think I know enough about knitting yet to fully take advantage of it, but I thinking trying Cat's patterns and techniques is going to help me learn so much more about knitting and socks than I would have thought possible.
N.
Jan 26, 2009 N. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who knit inventively
Shelves: nonfiction, crafts
A book filled with good, clear tips on customizing the design and fit of socks. A few of the cuff techniques provide more excitement than they're worth, but Bordhi has a playful taste in patterns and it's overall a good resource for sock knitters.
penny shima glanz
Mar 01, 2008 penny shima glanz rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: sock knitters
Shelves: craft-knitting
The layout is a bit funky and frustrating but it's great to turn some of the standards on their heads. I love the heel in that there are no stitches to pick up, the best of both short row and heel flaps. :)
Annette
Aug 24, 2015 Annette rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
This book made me into a better sock knitter AND to learn to knit toe-up AND to really check the gauge!
I'm not accurate yet with the "w&t and then cw" techniques, but they'll come, I'm sure.
Sheila
Sep 04, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it
Some interesting construction techniques for socks. Didn't have a chance to try any before my library wanted the book back, so I may check it out and try them out sometime.
Nancy
Jan 01, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it
This book confused me mightily!! I am going to have to return to it at a later date. But I am glad to hear the enthusiasm of so many who have reviewed it.
Nell
Feb 01, 2013 Nell rated it really liked it
Shelves: domestic-arts
This is a four- or five-star book for those who are ready for it. Me, not yet, but I hope to get there. Meanwhile, it opens my mind to the possibilities.
Miss Mouse
Feb 16, 2008 Miss Mouse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-crafty
I just got my very own copy. Oh, boy! I can't wait to get some of these patterns going! Cat Birdhi really has the physics of knitting down pat.
Andrea
Mar 16, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
This is making way more sense to me than that other book where you knit two socks at a time, I could not get the hang of that one!
Cynthia
Oct 21, 2007 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sock Knitters
It is a wonderfully poetic way to learn to knit socks that fit and are easy to knit. Have fun learning.
Danielle
Aug 23, 2010 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting, crafts
Wonderful book. Her patterns make very comfortable socks, and they're easy to work.
Diane Isaac Friedman
Apr 19, 2009 Diane Isaac Friedman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Have knit several of the "sockitectures" - first toe up patterns I have liked.
Lauriero
Apr 30, 2008 Lauriero rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting-books
OMG, this is such a mind blower. No more gusetts!!!
Mindofwinter
Nov 11, 2010 Mindofwinter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Love this book - very innovative.
Maylin
Dec 18, 2013 Maylin rated it it was amazing
Innovative and clearly written.
Lynsey
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Knitting in the Old Way: Designs and Techniques from Ethnic Sweaters
  • A Gathering of Lace
  • The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook: Dyeing, Painting, Spinning, Designing, Knitting
  • Knitting Around
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques
  • Lace Style
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • Folk Shawls
Cat Bordhi became a writer at age twelve when she discovered the power of writing to an audience that is hungry and fully present, which at the time was herself and her closest friends, and the form was shared journals and letters. Like a raccoon washing its food in a creek, Cat learned to wash her experiences in a clear stream of words that hummed with something deeper than the confusion and drea ...more
More about Cat Bordhi...