Start by marking “Beyond Chocolate: Understanding Swiss Culture” as Want to Read:
Beyond Chocolate: Understanding Swiss Culture

Beyond Chocolate: Understanding Swiss Culture

Go beyond Swiss chocolate, beyond the initial fun and adventure of a new country and a new career to immerse yourself in the cultural attitudes of Switzerland's fascinating, multifaceted society.

This engaging study exposes different attitudes and potential misunderstandings about friendship, neighborliness, being professional, giving and getting compliments and criticism,

Published May 1st 2002 by Bergli Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Chocolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Chocolate

molly
May 22, 2014 molly rated it liked it
Shelves: expats, switzerland
Meh. I think the book I want to read about Switzerland is not written. This weekend I ended up in a tiny hüttli halfway down the mountain for apres ski, filled with an impossible number of locals drinking schnapps, yodeling, playing the accordion, sniffing tobacco, and joshing each other with arcane insults to each other's manhood. After befriending some locals, they guided us to a private clubhouse of some kind, where we got, you guessed it, more schnapps. We were then guided in a drunk skiing ...more
Antonina
Dec 17, 2008 Antonina rated it liked it
I am almost two-thirds through the book and so far I am very much enjoying this read. The book is meant to explain Swiss culture to people from English-speaking countries. To me, coming originally from Russia, this book is twice as interesting to read, as it also explains English and US ways of thinking (through their differences with Swiss mentality).
The author gives plenty of examples and generally the book is very much based on the anecdotes and personal stories, which makes it very light to
Kathy
Jul 27, 2009 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: expats
From entertaining to work life, the breadth of coverage and the cultural specificity make Beyond Chocolate essential reading for any newcomer. Some of my favorite essays: Dancing on the Phone, The Language of the Heart, and How People Talk.
Rae
Aug 27, 2011 Rae rated it liked it
Recommends it for: New immigrants to Switzerland, especially those from the UK and USA.
Recommended to Rae by: Rose
Shelves: non-fiction
A useful guide to the culture of my new home, this was drawn in rather broad strokes but (I think!) should be a good lens to view my experiences through. The notes on the importance of eating and drinking rituals were especially true to life, so agreed my beloved and his grandmother.
Mary Arkless
I loved reading this book. It gives so much insight to the Swiss.
Carmen
Feb 12, 2011 Carmen rated it really liked it
I chose this book for our local library English language book club... some great and funny discussion came from it!
Betsy
Jan 18, 2015 Betsy rated it really liked it
Kind of out dated but still very interesting on how the swiss operate.
Matt
Feb 12, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it
Very good introduction to and explanation of Swiss culture, though tended to be somewhat repetitive as the book went on.
Ramsey Haddad
Nov 29, 2012 Ramsey Haddad rated it liked it
Gets a little repetitive, but is good preparation for moving to Switzerland.
Chris
Aug 03, 2008 Chris rated it liked it
Reinforces many things I have learned about the differences in cultures since living in Switzerland. It is nice to know others have gone through similar experiences.
Ross
Ross rated it really liked it
May 23, 2013
Henriette
Henriette rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2013
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Tomz
Tomz rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Anna P.
Anna P. rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2011
Bookshop
Bookshop rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2007
Austin Roberts
Austin Roberts rated it it was ok
Oct 13, 2011
Katharina
Katharina rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2013
Shayne Muller
Shayne Muller rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2012
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2010
Grace Bellino
Grace Bellino rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2016
Saugat Banerjee
Saugat Banerjee rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2011
Oana Serban
Oana Serban rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2013
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Rosa Gonçalves
Rosa Gonçalves rated it liked it
May 21, 2013
Melisa
Melisa rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2008
Kristiana Stanton
Kristiana Stanton rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2011
Kate Melnick
Kate Melnick rated it it was ok
May 21, 2013