Start by marking “Too Much Noise” as Want to Read:
Too Much Noise

Too Much Noise

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Peter goes off to the village wise man to find out what he could do about his noisy house. It seemed like a simple enough problem at the beginning, but more and more complications set in—in the forms of a donkey, a sheep, and a cow, to name a few, until it looked as though an entire farm had come to life right there in Peter’s house!

But with the proper, if overwhelming, ap
Published April 27th 1992 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published June 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Too Much Noise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Much Noise

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsBark, George by Jules FeifferClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninKnuffle Bunny by Mo WillemsI Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
Favorite Funny Story Time Picture Books
135th out of 189 books — 127 voters
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownGood Night, Gorilla by Peggy RathmannIn the Night Kitchen by Maurice SendakThe House in the Night by Susan Marie SwansonKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes
Picture Books About the Night
47th out of 124 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Too Much Noise by Ann McGovern, illustrated by Simms Taback is one of my favorite read-aloud stories and a great picturebook.

Peter asks the village wise man what to do about his noisy house. His strange advice involves bringing animals into Peter's house: first a cow, then a donkey, a sheep, a hen, a dog and a cat. They all add to the noise. The wise man then tells the complaining Peter to let all the animals go. Peter lets them go, and realizes that he has a very quiet house.

McGovern's text is
Peter asks a wise man for advice because his house, his tea kettle and the leaves on his roof make too much noise. The wise man tells Peter to get a succession of animals. Peter can't understand why the wise man keeps telling him to get animals, which only add to the noise in his house. Finally, the wise man tells Peter to get rid of all the animals. After they are gone, Peter notices just how quiet his house can be and dreams a very quiet dream. The book builds on the noises of each animal as t ...more
Aug 14, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
This is a good story, a moral tale very similar to the book "It Could Always Be Worse" by Margot Zemach. It is a bit silly, but the repetitive narrative and animal sounds are good for reading with children.
I enjoyed reading this book. I think this book would be great for beginning readers due to the repetition usage. The old man complained about his house being too noisy. He went to the wise man for some advice. The wise man told Peter to get a cow, donkey, sheep, hen, cat, and a dog. Peter didn't understand how that would help make his house quiet but he did it anyway. He was very angry with all the nose. He went back to the wise man and complained. The wise man told him to get rid of all the an ...more
Apr 06, 2011 Heidi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschool-3rd grade
Telling this story will keep the attention of all ages.
Do motions to the repeated lines
The bed creaked (make your hand a pillow to your tipped head)
The floor squeeked (put your finger to your mouth in a "shhh" gesture)
Outside the wind blew the leaves through the trees (sweep arms saying "whoooo")
The leaves fell on the roof (swish arms back and forth while saying "swish, swish")
The tea kettle whistled (make a handle and a spout & tip while saying, "ssssss")
"Too noisy," (cover ears with hands)
Anayssa Pulido
This is a story about a man named Peter who begins hearing noises in his house and decides to visit a wise man to help him figure out what he can do about his noisy house. After talking to the wise man, he makes Peter get several different kinds of animals to his house to help him solve the problem until there is an entire farm in Peter’s house. It isn't until the end when he realizes and values the peacefulness of his home. There were definitely times when i caught myself smiling and even laugh ...more
I truly enjoyed this book. I loved how the wise man added to the noise of the house with a new addition each time. I would love to have this book in my classroom. I could not wait to turn the page to see just what would be added next. It would be a wonderful read-aloud book in the classroom. It will be an addition to my own library.
Shelby Everitt
"Too Much Noise" has always been a classic in my family. Read to my brother and I by our father at bedtime, this story was an animated one about an old man with a noisy house. It starts with one sound, a tea kettle whistling, and to fix it he goes to a wise man who gives him another noisy animal to cover the noise of the first sound. At the end, the old man has so many loud animals that he wants to go crazy. He gets rid of all of the animals and that makes the tea kettle noise seem nice and quie ...more
Peter's house is so loud! He can't take it anymore so he goes to a wise man to ask him what he should do. The wise man tells him to get a cow, then a donkey, then a sheep, etc. Peter can't help wondering how this could help. Now his house is louder than ever with all those animal sounds! When he goes back to the wise man he tells him to get rid of all his animals, so he does. Peter has never realized how quiet his house really is. This is one of those clever little stories that I think really fi ...more
A nice little story about appreciating what you already have and gratitude. It was a quick read with simple illustrations and enough of animal noises to keep my 6 year old interested.
Robin Rousu
A well crafted version of one of my favorite folktales. Perfect for story time and would make an excellent flannel board. Highly recommended for ages 4-7.
Oct 24, 2007 Wendy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those pining for the greener grass
Shelves: childrenslit
Everything's relative. The man complains to the "wise man" that his house is too noisy. The Wise man tells him to basically invite the barnyard into this house - get a cow, get a donkey, etc. (Each is a seperate recommendation, hence the repetition of animal sounds that even my 1 year old likes.) In the end, there is complete cacophony and chaos in the end. At which time the wise man says - get rid of all those animals.

and then the man loves his quiet, peaceful house (even though the same creak
I like this story and book even though it's been around and the illustrations are a bit dated.
This was a childhood favorite. We had a record that went along with this book and I can't even guess how many times my sister and I listened to it. I could probably quote most of it by heart even now. "Too much noise!" :)

I've also helped with several puppet show productions of this book for the public library summer reading program. We've done a regular version twice, and an "under the sea" version once. Maybe next summer we will do a "desert animals" version since that will be the theme.
This book is about an old man that was tired of all the noise his house made, from the floor boards to the tea kettle, it was driving him crazy!! So he went to see the wise old man and he told him to get a cow, then a donkey, ect. He went and got all these things but his problem only got worse! Now there was WAY too much noise. He got rid of all the animals the wise man told him to get and then all of a sudden the tiny noises that bothered him before didn't bug him at all.
Ecl  Storytellers
Great read together book. Each page builds on the one before with a full caucophony of sounds (including a farmyard) by the end. Older listeners will appreciate the silliness and younger listeners will love making the barn animal sounds. Easily shortened for younger listeners, too. An idea: kids can use different instruments to mimic the different things in the house making noise
Shelby Parkinson
I really liked the moral of this story, but it was a little long. It's a story about a man who feels his house is too noisy and he gets advice from a wise man on what to do. He goes to the wise man various times and by the end the plan of the wise man is revealed to the readers. I felt it was dragged on a little too long, but it is an easy book for children to understand.
Aleya Peters
What a cute little lesson about appreciating what one has. I especially loved the opportunity to bark like a dog and moo like a cow. This book is a predictive book. Each time the man goes to seek advise, he is told basically the same response. This is a moral book. The moral at the end of the book being that we should appreciate what we have.
The muted illustrations evoke a time gone by when picture books were full of silly characters, simple illustrations, and repetitive text.

Too Much Noise has a simple story to don't really know how noisy it is until all of God's creature start to create their unique racket.

Used for "No More Noise" Storytime: July, 2011.

This is a great addition to the library of any child as it is ideal for reading aloud and the moral of the story -- hidden in the whimsy of the story -- doesn't whack the listener over the head with "Important Lesson." Yes, there is a lesson but it is subtly conveyed. Did I mention the book is whimsical?
clever tale about a man who thinks his house is too loud. a wise man tells him to add animals, then remove them. ahh, the house is now quiet! think it may go over well at outreach for preschoolers. not the best pictures as far as colors/illustrations go but still, the story may carry it.
Elines Flores
This book was simple and repetitive. I was able to anticipate what was going on in the book thus making it a smoother read. With every page, I was predicting what new animal was going to be introduced next keeping me fully engaged in the story.
students can participate with the different noises from the book

repetitive text so students can join in with

A guy named Peter had too much noises around his house and people tried to give him suggestions of how to stop them, they didn't work.
Ayana Mishelle
this is a great book for sequencing , making predictions and just trying to make sense of the wiseman telling the guy to add all those animals to his home. Your students can make the sounds !!The book is very inteactive and fun !!!
love this book. Thought it was funny as a kid. Relate to it as an adult. Can't wait until my life can return to what it was when I thought I was busy :)
Sparsely illustrated (though the illustrations that are in this book are retro-ly awesome!), funny, cumulative story with animals, noises, and a great moral. Can see doing this as an audience participation
Katie Beck
This is a very cute book. It is a good book to read to children to teach them to be thankful for what they have because a situation could always be worse than it already is.
  • The Squeaky Door
  • Tiptoe Joe
  • The Cow Who Clucked
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Koala Lou