Start by marking “Tomorrow's Crimes” as Want to Read:
Tomorrow's Crimes

Tomorrow's Crimes

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Rare and intriguing tales makeup this collection of science fiction and fanta sy--with elements of crime thrown in to spice up the plots. 4 cassettes.
Published October 1st 1989 by Mysterious Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow's Crimes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow's Crimes

Tfitoby
An apparently rare collection of science fiction and light fantasy stories with a crime/noir twist from Donald Westlake, creator of Parker and Dortmunder, that shows a lot of promise in a genre somewhat beyond his comfort zone.

Whilst the title "Tomorrow's Crimes" brings to mind Blade Runner and other sci-fi noir, the subtitle "Anarchaos and Other Stories of Fantastic Suspense" really tells the tale of what's contained within these pages. Anarchaos is a sci-fi noirvella about a colony planet perm
Nick
This is a spotty collection of short stories and a short novel by one of my favorite authors of crime fiction.
The short stories were much better than the short novel, Anarchaos, which rapidly became difficult to believe. It was hard to empathize with the main character, or see how he could really survive the events of the story, and the resolution made it even more difficult to empathize.
The short stories, on the other hand, were really good. My favorite of the bunch was "Nackles," a Christmas h
BonnieBew
This collection of sci-fi/fantasy-themed stories are a mixed bag, but there are two standouts that I love so much I had to give it five stars. Nackles, the mythology of an anti-Santa, is one of my favorite short stories ever. Period. It has the intimations of dread and horror and the setup of a scene that reminds me of the best Stephen King horror novels, minus the extra 600 pages of filler and Blue Oyster Cult lyrics. Anarchaos is a novella that makes up a large portion of this collection. It h ...more
Dylan Perry
Oct 18, 2014 Dylan Perry added it
Shelves: abandoned
I tried. Four times, I picked this book up, and put back down a few days later. I would skip a story when it didn't grab me (which I do a lot with short story collections), I would put it down and read something else and come back. I trudged through the first two stories. I've heard a lot of love for Westlake, but this didn't do it for me. So on to the Abandoned shelf it goes.
Robb Terranova (aka Robb Michael G)
Nice collection of one of my favorite authors early short stories.
I especially liked the last story in the collection, "Anarchaos," about a civilization that shouldn't exist, even though it may seem to some like it is a fantastic idea, it's only path is one toward elimination or total destruction.
Bruce
Oct 21, 2007 Bruce rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: SF readers
A decent read, but not up to par for Westlake. Science fiction is not his milieu.
Steve
short stories in a sci fi mode.
i like the anti hero dudes.
Randy
Randy added it
Apr 25, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Mike
Mike added it
Apr 02, 2015
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Kelle Boyd
Kelle Boyd marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Laurah
Laurah marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Melki
Melki marked it as to-read
neddy
neddy marked it as to-read
Veeral
Veeral marked it as to-read
Kamal
Kamal marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Evyn Charles
Evyn Charles marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Anthony Nesbitt
Anthony Nesbitt marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Ronald Wilcox
Ronald Wilcox marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Alejandra Gc
Alejandra Gc marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Donald E. Westlake (1933-2008) was one of the most prolific and talented authors of American crime fiction. He began his career in the late 1950's, churning out novels for pulp houses—often writing as many as four novels a year under various pseudonyms such as Richard Stark—but soon began publishing under his own name. His most well-known characters were John Dortmunder, an unlucky thief, and a ru ...more
More about Donald E. Westlake...
The Hot Rock (Dortmunder, #1) Bank Shot (Dortmunder, #2) The Ax What's The Worst That Could Happen? (Dortmunder, #9) What's So Funny? (Dortmunder, #14)