Start by marking “Despite Everything: A Cometbus Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Despite Everything: A Cometbus Omnibus

Despite Everything: A Cometbus Omnibus

Collected here are selections from the first twenty years of Cometbus; including the ultra-rare intros, notes, and a scrapbook.
Published September 9th 2002 by Last Gasp (first published August 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Despite Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Despite Everything

Amar Pai
May 16, 2011 Amar Pai rated it it was amazing
aaron cometbus is a punk's punk. he scrounges for food in dumpsters, scams his way around the US on greyhound, slips in and out of punkhouses and seems to live off nothing more than coffee and cigarettes. he has the eye of a sociologist and the soul of a poet and the haircut of a fool. inside this book you will find sly analysis of cooperatives, cliques, anarchy, imperialism, political philosophy, and also riotous tales of drunken revelry, crazy scavenger hunts, touring with green day, history o ...more
Brendan
Sep 15, 2007 Brendan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: punks, travelers, americans
after much thought i've come to realize that aaron is my favorite writer. i've been reading cometbus for like 13 years and i always come away excited about life again. i still remember the first issue i got. it was about a trip to europe and i remember being totally blown away by reading it. he was the first writer who i definitely wanted to be friends with and i feel like i'm listening to a friend tell me stories when i read him. often, they are really amazing stories. this is a compendium of a ...more
Ravachol
Sep 02, 2015 Ravachol rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 80's - 90's punk nostalgists
WARNING: There is a LOT of text squeezed into these 600 pages. I think it reads more like 800 pages.

I've read about Cometbus for years in books and other zines but I've never actually opened an issue of the mag. It was nice to see what all the hype has been about, but I can't help feeling like this omnibus is only a fuzzy reflection of what it was like to actually read the zines. Oh well, I missed out on the real thing. That doesn't mean this isn't a delightful read.

It's really neat to see how t
Brett
Jul 19, 2010 Brett rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays, music
Here Aaron Cometbus attempts to condense 20 years of his self-published zine into one mammoth volume, called Despite Everything. Though Cometbus was not easy to find where I grew up, I did get my hands on a few issues in the late nineties. At that time, Aaron's writing really spoke to me about ways to live outside of the usual paths of existence and how life could be a sort of never-ending series of adventures, even if you're stuck in a small town with no money.

So, these many years later, I fin
Graham
Jan 26, 2011 Graham rated it it was amazing
It may seem strange, especially for those who didn't grow up fortifying themselves with punk rock, but Aaron Cometbus is one of my favorite writers of all time. The material he covers - the travelling, the heartbreak, the carefree verve, the quasi-destitution - has all been done before, but Cometbus approaches it with a matter-of-factness and a grim levity that prevents his work from coming off like some pretentious nth-generation "On The Road" knockoff. One of the best arguments for DIY culture ...more
Mark
Aug 28, 2007 Mark rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: punx/ zinesters
A collection of the first 20 years(!) of Aaron Cometbus's extraordinary zine. Imitated by throngs of "per-zine" geeks for the last two decades, this is the original and still the best of the bunch. Of course Aaron has been in a bunch of bands through the years (Crimpshrine, Pinhead Gunpowder, etc...), but the zine rarely focuses on punk music so much as the backdrop of the punk scene itself. The artwork and layouts are great, the writing is great, the occasional contributors are occasionally gre ...more
Mo
Jun 29, 2008 Mo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hobolit
Reading this in bed while healing from surgery, I was able to just frickin' *pretend* I was on a greyhound to nowhere after selling everything I owned and cramming the rest into a backpack. And I didn't want it to end! I always liked Cometbus whenever I could get my hands on it, and I like it even more now after reading the whole omnibus. I just wish there was more...I think there's a few "newish" issues out that I might be able to track down, but for now I just have to re-read the good stuff he ...more
Brian
Dec 09, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of Cometbus. I still have all of my copies, none of which I will ever lend out. For those of you that are late to the game of zines and self-publishing Despite Everything is required reading. Cometbus is a great example of not only punk rock culture, DIY and self-publishing, but folklore. This is a great book to have while traveling or on the coffee table.
Kaya
Sep 14, 2007 Kaya rated it it was amazing
Am I really old enough to remember seeing Aaron's band at 924 Gilman while I was still in high school? Apparently, I am. The band was so-so but the zine was (and is) a must read for aging bay area punks.
Sara
Mar 12, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the author, punk rockers, zinesters,
i'm sure anyone else who has review 'Despite Everything: A Cometbus Omnibus' has mentioned its massive size [over 600 pages] and, hopefully, how incredible it is to have all the zines together. it is perfection.
i'm usually a fast reader but this took me some time to get though because i just did not to to finish it. [i borrowed it from my brother and i knew i'd have to give it back when i finished it.*]

cometbus has such a firm grip on the punk rock scene and on humanity that it's hard not to b
Max Dickey
Nov 08, 2013 Max Dickey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Generally, I steer clear of books about punk rock. Most focus on the drugs, riots, mohawks and other garbage stereotypes of the movement. It's all been done to death and none of it seems to have anything to say, other than partially chronicling a short historical period in music and culture, albeit without any of the manic energy that makes punk so interesting.

Aaron Cometbus started putting out the Cometbus zine back in 1981. This collection, Despite Everything, pulls excerpts from about 20 yea
Thomas
Aug 09, 2007 Thomas rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
First of all, this book is such a deal! 12 bucks and change on Amazon for 608 pages of Cometbus! That's two pounds of zine!

This is the best of 48 issues of Cometbus, the famous zine by Aarron Cometbus, in all its hand written, 3rd generation xerox glory. And it's great!

Aarron is from Berkely, but this book hops all over the US. I had a great time visiting cities I know (Like Richmond Va and D.C.) through the eyes of someone else, and the places I haven't been (a LOT) were very well evoked by th
Melissa
It's a large collection of zines, but not very heavy. Makes a great traveling companion. Once a guy came into a coffeeshop I worked at in Tahoe and said he was taking the Greyhound to the east coast. I gave him this book, thinking I would never see it again. But he returned months later and gave it back! No one rides the greyhound anymore, but you can read it on Megabus and pretend it's smellier.
Naomi McCormick
cometbus was one of the first zines i feel in love with, and when i was 15 i used to look for him in the window of any kinkos i passed by. while his original zines, of course, are best to read, this anthology captures much of his best writing - including hard to find early stuff. no one described punk love (for people, cities, and music) better than aaron cometbus
Gurldoggie
Oct 10, 2012 Gurldoggie rated it it was amazing
An extensive retrospective collection, weighing in at more than 600 pages, featuring comics, interviews, low-budget trips through Europe, stories of hitchhiking, reviews of coffee, cereal, bookstores, and lots of punk rock adventures. Cometbus remains a testament to what can be done when an artist rigorously applies DIY punk ethics to his own life. Inspiring.
Kathleen
Aug 28, 2007 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indypress, music
As a former zinester, I have the upmost respect for Cometbus. He's the zine master. My favorite issues are when he's traveling around Europe, or writing about his relationships. I also love "Cereal News with Mike" :

"Post Raisin Bran has hired the California Raisins...In order to compete with the California Raisins, the Capn's Crunchberries now have faces...
Jess
Apr 16, 2012 Jess rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the punk deep down inside you
This is a compilation of shorts from my favorite zine back in the 90's, although it's been around for years before then. Cometbus throughout my teens represented punk in a way that the broader pop culture has always failed so miserably. Obviously, points for nostalgia, but also just fun to read.
Ryan
Dec 06, 2008 Ryan rated it it was amazing
though there are quite a few articles I read in issues of cometbus which found themselves omitted from this compendium, this still serves as an amazing introduction to what I think is the best zine ever written.
Scott
Jan 24, 2008 Scott rated it liked it
this is an interesting retrospective of cometbus's work. the beginning zines are really hit or miss, as he is still figuring out his voice, but if you're a fan then you should read this, if you havent already.
KayLee
Jul 30, 2015 KayLee rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, own
I. Love. His. Writing.
He makes me laugh, shake my head, frown, etc, but most of all, he makes me THINK.
The only reason this didn't get 5 stars is because I didn't like some of the comics, and because I wanted more (Though that's not really the books fault.)
Hokomoko
Feb 04, 2011 Hokomoko rated it really liked it
As always, a really fine read. This diverse set of stories, a few poems and some snide letters kept me still during a flight on the plane. I felt uncomfortable (with choices I've made and haven't made,) sad, curious and relieved as I often do after reading finely written perzine tales.
Allisonv
Jan 22, 2008 Allisonv rated it it was ok
I loved the hell out of this when I was in high school (and slightly beyond). Overall, AC's work has not stood the test of time for me, but there are still some very decent and evocative bits here and there. Great for Bay Area reminiscing. Lew is a better writer.
Nicole Woolaston
Mar 31, 2016 Nicole Woolaston rated it it was amazing
How could I not have known about this? It took me a few days to get through all 600 pages of this collection but it was worth it. I love all of the old school artwork and illustrations. And the interviews were pretty cool, too.
Daniel Levesque
Dec 08, 2008 Daniel Levesque rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes zines, CA
Awww, Aarron. A true Luddite, he is an inspiration to good hearted folks of all walks of life. This is a great big book, full of every Cometbus attainable. (I think there are a few missing. But he had a LOT to work with.) Love the Gilman St stuff! Great bathroom book.
Paul
Aug 10, 2012 Paul rated it liked it
Shelves: music, essays
a huge collections of most of essays and stories from the zine COMETBUS, is 75% awesome, if you discount the dodgy early stuff. A great read if you are a fan of punk rock, travel stories or just good writing in general.
Erik
Oct 27, 2008 Erik rated it it was amazing
It's amazing how much you can get out of a zine. This book is part adventure, part fiction anthology, and part anthropological study. All of it is awesome.

Aaron is publishing Cometbus again, by the way. Support this guy, he's a rare gem indeed.
HeavyReader
Nov 08, 2016 HeavyReader rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: punks, travelers, zinesters and people who are bored with their own lives
Recommended to HeavyReader by: Cassidy
Shelves: based-on-zines
This book is huge! The pages aren't numbered, so I can't say exactly how huge, but trust me, HUGE! I skipped around, reading bits and pieces of it here and there. I'm sure I ended up reading the whole thing.

The writing is mostly great, and I enjoyed reading.
Julie
Mar 14, 2007 Julie rated it it was amazing
Read my review for Double Duce....

....

Did you read it? Same for Despite Everything.
jack
Jan 09, 2008 jack added it
Shelves: punk
i really like cometbus in general. i did find tho, that i much prefer his personal ramblings to his earlier more band oriented writing.
Stefan
May 15, 2012 Stefan rated it it was amazing
excellent compendium of Cometbus 'zine...reproduced issues of a classic from a silly, but naively sincere 80s-90s Cali punk scene...time capsule!
  • Doris: An Anthology, 1991-2001
  • Burn Collector: Collected Stories from One Through Nine
  • Stolen Sharpie Revolution: A DIY Zine Resource
  • On Subbing: The First Four Years
  • Gimme Something Better: The Profound, Progressive, and Occasionally Pointless History of Bay Area Punk from Dead Kennedys to Green Day
  • On the Lower Frequencies
  • The Day the Country Died: A History of Anarcho-Punk, 1980-1984
  • Shibboleth: My Revolting Life
  • Notes from Underground: Zines and the Politics of Alternative Culture
  • Violence Girl: East L.A. Rage to Hollywood Stage, a Chicana Punk Story
  • Kesey's Garage Sale
  • Off the Map
  • Sister of The Road: The Autobiography of Boxcar Bertha - as told to Dr. Ben Reitman
  • Zine Scene: Do It Yourself Guide to Zines
  • Dance of Days: Two Decades of Punk in the Nation's Capital
  • The Best of Punk Magazine
  • Dishwasher: One Man's Quest to Wash Dishes in All Fifty States
  • We Got the Neutron Bomb: The Untold Story of L.A. Punk
Aaron Elliott, better known as Aaron Cometbus, is a drummer, lyricist, self-described "punk anthropologist" and author of Cometbus, a seminal punk rock zine.

More about Aaron Cometbus...