Start by marking “Tagebuch des Verführers” as Want to Read:
Tagebuch des Verführers

Tagebuch des Verführers

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,595 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
Blümchen verschicken? Damit gibt sich der Verführer, in dessen Tagebuch uns Sören Kierkegaard Einblick gewährt, nicht zufrieden. Mit höchster Raffinesse und Akribie plant dieser Don Juan die Eroberung der schönen Unbekannten, die er einer Kutsche entsteigen sieht. Doch wieder mal ist es der Weg, nicht das Ziel, das den Jäger reizt: mit dem Tag danach brechen die Aufzeichnu ...more
Published 1997 by Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag (first published 1843)

To ask other readers questions about Tagebuch des Verführers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tagebuch des Verführers

Mahdi
من پاییز و زمستان سال قبل رو با این کتاب سر کردم، و حدود نصفش رو ترجمه کردم و قصدم این بود که به صورت رایگان روی اینترنت منتشرش کنم. امسال توسط یکی از دوستان گودریدز متوجه شدم که کسی این کتاب رو (که بخشی از کتاب بلند کیرکگور به نام "یا این یا آن" هستش) ترجمه کرده و قراره امسال منتشر بشه. این شد که کار ترجمه نصفه کاره رها شد.

از کتاب
یک دختر مثل یک پسر رشد نمی کند؛ یک پسر بی درنگ پس از تولّد شروع به رشد می کند و مدّت ها طول می کشد تا رشدش کامل شود. اما یک دختر مدّت ها طول می کشد تا متولّد شود، ولی
Riku Sayuj

A Wound Masked As a Boast

OK, was thrown into an inverted Faust here, but with Faust helping Mephistopheles in his conquests! What then? Should the morality change in any way?

Mephistopheles is a seducer, the poor devil. The eternal seducer, but the one who bores of his victims at the cusp. Or is that just what he tells himself? (yeah, the "wills evil, does good" bit.)

"In the vast literature of love, The Seducer's Diary is an intricate curiosity--a feverishly intellectual attempt to reconstruct a
Blair
Jun 14, 2015 Blair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, translated
In the vast literature of love, The Seducer's Diary is an intricate curiosity--a feverishly intellectual attempt to reconstruct an erotic failure as a pedagogic success, a wound masked as a boast. – John Updike in his introduction to The Seducer's Diary

Regine Olsen occupies a central role in Kierkegaard's thought and writings, and indeed a unique position in the history of all of Western philosophy. It can be argued that no other single woman has been so instrumental in a major philosopher's dev
Brigitte
Jul 06, 2008 Brigitte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Kierkegaard's THE SEDUCER'S DIARY in one sitting. This short work is obviously easy to read because Kierkegaard's style, although a bit antiquated, is very enticing. But this work is also difficult to read without outrage. Quel type tordu, ce Kierkegaard!

What I find especially interesting is that this short piece is essential to his work since eventually Regine (the fictional Cordelia)became his muse. . . . Which is to say that he (the fictional Johannes)was afraid of life since he could
Manny
I was reminded of this book when I got to the big seduction scene in Cohen's Belle du Seigneur. Solal spends about 30 pages describing in great detail to Ariane all the psychological tricks he uses when he goes about performing a seduction, complaining that women are dumb enough to fall for it, and indeed require this kind of treatment. He is ostensibly doing it to repulse her, but in fact his explanation is very seductive, and indeed works brilliantly. I get the impression that Kierkegaard was ...more
Matt
The seducer is Johannes. He sees the girl, and he is determined to make her his. He writes a diary in which his plan is outlined to make her fall for him. He stalks her. He learns her name is Cordelia. He makes her acquaintance. He becomes engaged to her. The final stage: He drives her to break off the engagement. Hunting is his game. The killed game does not interest him. He already has another girl in mind. He's an arsehole.

How much of the seducer Johannes is in Kierkegaard? Wikipedia says thi
David
Kierkegaard's The Seducer's Diary describes a man (Johannes)'s calculated scheme to seduce a young girl (Cordelia) into falling in love with him. Described by Updike as "a wound disguised as a boast" this novel/essay/diary is elegiac in its cold lack of apology. It is a book of opposites, of painful ironies.

I feel ashamed to say that I have been a seducer. It has felt normal to me, and I wondered (and still wonder) if it is not singularly a paradigm of romantic normalcy - is love a myth? Is ever
Jamie
Sep 12, 2008 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up in a little hole-in-the-wall shop three months ago, purely for aesthetic reasons-- the gorgeous, pressed cover. And I guess the lesson was, sometimes you can tell the book by it after all.

It was exquisite and haunting, and it's Kierkegaard that does the true seducing in the end; so wrapped up was I in the story that, much like Johann's innocent young muse, it was as if suddenly waking up, tangled in a web.
Katerina Mezhekova
This was deadly boring and seems rather naive as a part of a philosophical work.
As for the main character seducing girls had been an esthetically tempting exercise and his only occupation throughout the book. But the author (showing us all the imaginable aspects of the character's challenge) is merely endlessly polishing up his graphomania and recuperating from the guilt trips we can barely share or understand.

It's a shame this book is much less than it could be, even considering the ages passe
Tim Cole
Feb 11, 2013 Tim Cole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reason for reading:
Soren Kierkegaard is regarded as one of the first, if not the very first, existentialist philosophers. The Seducer’s Diary is one part of a greater work Either / Or. It is also one of the 20 books in the Penguin Great Loves collection. Given its reputation I was sure I couldn’t go wrong.

About the book:
This is a book made up of diary entries and letters. Johannes, the writer, boasts of his skills in the art of seducing women. He talks of his abilities to keep a distance while a
John Doe
Oct 10, 2013 John Doe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first feelings of love--that's all the narrator in this story values. He meets a young women. He charms her, slowly. He finally wins her affection, but that is not enough for him. He continues the seduction. She becomes obsessed with him. She gives up the idea of marriage and living by conventional values. She loves him. She turns him into an idol, worshiping him. He loves every minute of it, and then, when he wins her heart completely...he's done. They never have sex or even kiss.

I have se
Minh Nhật
Người ta sẽ chỉ đọc những cuốn sách mà họ hiểu hoặc cảm thấy hay, lần này mình cố đọc cho xong một cuốn sách để tìm kiếm trải nghiệm về cái sự không-hiểu. Nói không hiểu cũng không đúng, nhưng mình chỉ lờ mờ cảm nhận được cái dòng ý thức của tác giả, có vài đoạn mình ngỡ là tìm được điểm để nhập thể vào cái dòng ý thức đó nhưng rồi cũng bị trôi tuột đi. Cuối cùng thì cũng đọc hết, cũng biết được ông viết cái gì, nhưng mà vẫn không hiểu ông viết để làm gì. Và ngoài để đọc như một trải nghiệm, mìn ...more
Madhuri
May 06, 2008 Madhuri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seducer's Diary is primarily a philosophical work from Soren Kierkegaard: a 19th century Danish philosopher, and one of the earlier enthusiasts of Existentialism. It is part of one of his most illustrative works Either/Or, which I hope to read sometime. In Either/Or, with a few fictional pseudonyms, Kierkegaard argues for both the aesthetic (Either) and ethical (Or) aspects of life. It is in the Either or the aesthetic part that Seducer's Diary finds its place.
In itself, the Seducer's Diary is a
Gülper
Dec 13, 2014 Gülper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the first time in my life I am afraid of not being able to finish a book because that it's drag me into huge melancholy. But I guess I can not bear not to read such a good book...

It's not the first Soren book i read, but this one is a great surprise for me. It's a story beyond such arguments like God, hope, sins etc. Certainly not like the author's style...

Reading it gives me pain , like every woman that read this book would; but I guess I can not sleep tonight without finishing it...
Alejandra
Apr 14, 2008 Alejandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
A book I love to hate, and hate to love. It stirred so much anger at the injustice. He went through so much for the simple aesthetic of the seduction, at some point almost making you believe that it was genuine. Then it's over, you never get time to process the end. All you can do is ask "why"?
kingdom ofbookss
The book was boring imo but I loved the writing style.
Mari
Feb 03, 2009 Mari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kierkegaard readers
Recommended to Mari by: Mel
"Unhappy mirror, which assuredly can grasp her image but not her, who indeed dares to capture her but not to hold her; unhappy mirror, which cannot secretly hide her image in itself, hide it from the whole world, but can only disclose it to others as it now does to me. What torture if a human being were fashioned that way."

John Updike called Kierkegaard's writing "feverishly intellectual" - which almost begins to describe the quality of the writing. The prose of The Seducers Diary (Volume I of E
Letizia

Non sono presuntuosa e questa non è una vera e propria recensione.
Dunque, se è vero che l'esteta persegue il pieno godimento della vita egli vive nel presente, tuttavia il livello di godimento raggiungibile dipende dal livello di spiritualità raggiunto.
Ne conseguono una ricerca attenta e ponderata, di quelli che sono i "piaceri", una scelta ragionata tra quelli possibili e che producono godimento intenso.
Tuttavia l'espressione di questo "godimento" è determinata dal talento individuale, dal d
Matthew
Sep 06, 2012 Matthew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely get so excited to read a book. How could it not be brilliant? It's a philosopher I thoroughly enjoy (Fear and Trembling, for example, is brilliant), writing about a subject that's always intriguing (young love gone wrong), with an approach that is sure to be complicated and thoughtful (trying to make himself look like the bad guy). Honestly, I've been fascinated by Kierkegaard and Olsen's relationship since I first heard a summary of their lives.

So I can't begin to describe the disappoi
Eldenoa
May 06, 2016 Eldenoa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cœur
On aime ou on aime pas le séducteur qui rode et qui semble toujours désespéré de désir pour sa cible. Je l'aime parce qu'il aime plus qu'une femme, il aime LA femme. On peut se demander si Kierkegaard est un romantique, c'est ce qui m'a attirer vers ce livre, mais finalement il te laisse ce goût amer qui vient supprimer toute poésie. Johannes correspond bien à la première figure de l'homme, le don Juan qui expert dans l'art de satisfaire ses désirs, n'en devient que plus addicte.
Fernanda
Este libro puede parecer superficial al inicio pero conforme avanza te das cuenta como va penetrando en ti la personalidad del personaje y logras entender cada pasa que va dando para cumplir con su cometido.

Debo admitir que el tema no es de mis favoritos pero el desarrollo y las explicaciones detalladas del Don Juan en turno ganaron mi corazón. Sin duda alguna Kierkegaard penetra de manera profunda en las entrañas de un seductor que mide fríamente cada uno de los pasos que dará para tener a su
Doroti
Jan 12, 2016 Doroti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Не мога да обобщя тази книга. Схванах се, обърках се, отново не се разбрах, после пак се разбрах...
Изрод. В хубавия смисъл.
Alfred Bates
Oct 02, 2009 Alfred Bates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am I the only person who found this book to be epically hilarious?
Alor Deng
May 30, 2015 Alor Deng rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: danish
A book that celebrates and enshrines the thought process. Life goes deeper than the intellect, something the protagonist, Johannes, fails to see. That said, an incredibly fascinating book and at times I thought pages had been ripped out of my own diary. The writing is sublime and the psychological analysis deserves top marks. In the end, it is a little too insensate for my tastes, but still, worth your time.

"An artist paints his beloved; that is now his joy; a sculptor shapes her. This I, too,
Christine
May 23, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Дневник на прелъстителя" е философски поглед на Сьорен Киркегор върху любовта, съблазняването, младите момичета и красотата на всяка една емоция. Поради факта, че не съм чела други негови трудове не мога да коментирам цялостната му философия, а единствено написаното в този така наречен дневник. Авторът е фантастичен измамник - познава всеки детайл на женската същност, благодарение на което гради умело красива илюзия, трудна за разкриване, а ако е разкрита, то вероятно това е било по негово жела ...more
Mehlika
Jan 02, 2013 Mehlika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
bir felsefe kitabı mı, bir roman ya da günlük mü tam olarak karar verilemez denilebilir.

kierkegaard elde edilemeyenin cazibesinden o kadar etkilenmiştir ki cazibeyi optimum seviyeye çıkarmak için elde etmemeyi tercih etmiştir. sevdiği kızı uzaktan ve hayallerin içinden seyredip ona dair düşler kurmak daha cazip gelmiştir. kızın onu sevmesinin önemsiz olduğunu çıkarmayalım buradan. elbette önemlidir fakat kız özgür bir ruh, tam anlamıyla bir birey olarak sevmelidir onu. bu yüzden nişan gibi "insa
Andrea
Nov 21, 2014 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Folgt das Verliebtsein erkennbaren Regeln? Ist die Seele eine Uhr, die man nur richtig aufziehen muss, damit sie losschnurrt? Wie sähe im Gegensatz zur ästhetischen Liebe die ethische Liebe aus?
Jose Gaona
Jun 26, 2014 Jose Gaona rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ficción
Éste es uno de esos libros, hijos de su época, que poco tienen que decir a las venideras excepto como dudoso corolario sociológico del tiempo en que nacieron. "Diario de un seductor" nos muestra al Kierkegaard más estético, aquel que no se arremolina frente a los dictados de la ética para lograr sus propósitos. Sin embargo, no me parece un mal libro por motivos morales. Más bien creo que como relato adolece de tensión narrativa, como documento psicológico de vida en sus personajes y como ensayo ...more
Gabriele Romano
May 02, 2015 Gabriele Romano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comprai per caso questo libro. Appassionato (ma non troppo) di filosofia avevo sentito e letto di Kierkegaaard. Il titolo del libro è molto ammaliante e presi il libro per soli 2. Fu il libro che cambiò in assoluto il mio animo e il mio spirito... Oggi ho quasi tutte le opere di kierkegaard, ho realizzato un intero blog su questo magnifico autore e inoltre mi sono appassionato in maniera consistente alla filosofia.
Un libro che ti estende i limiti della ragione e della mente, un libro che cattura
Tatiana
May 05, 2014 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, philosophy
"Нецелесообразно? Да разве у меня есть какая-нибудь цель? Пока ещё довольно неопределённая... но я предвижу, что они могут мне понадобиться для нового сильного ощущения..."

И в этом весь он, "автор" и герой этого дневника. Нет, цель у него, конечно же, есть. Но вот какова она?
Он, этот молодой человек - своего рода эстетический маньяк, хотя внешне производит впечатление вполне себе благообразное. Ну кто бы мог подумать, что в душе у него таится такая демоническая брешь. Хотя нет, он ведь не извра
SEDUCER'S DIARY 1 20 Mar 31, 2010 10:34PM
  • Cures for Love  (Great Loves, #5)
  • Deviant Love (Great Loves, #11)
  • Of Mistresses, Tigresses and Other Conquests (Great Loves, #4)
  • Bodily Secrets (Great Loves, #19)
  • Something Childish But Very Natural (Great Loves, #13)
  • The Women Who Got Away (Great Loves, #20)
  • Forbidden Fruit: From The Letters of Abelard and Heloise
  • A Russian Affair (Great Loves, #10)
  • Doomed Love (Great Loves, #1)
  • Magnetism (Great Loves, #12)
  • The Eaten Heart: Unlikely Tales of Love (Great Loves, #3)
  • A Mere Interlude (Great Loves, #8)
  • Eros Unbound (Great Loves, #18)
  • Mary
  • The Virgin and the Gipsy
  • Cartesian Meditations: An Introduction to Phenomenology
  • The Essence of Religion
  • Essay on the Freedom of the Will (Philosophical Classics)
Søren Aabye Kierkegaard was a prolific 19th century Danish philosopher and theologian. Kierkegaard strongly criticised both the Hegelianism of his time and what he saw as the empty formalities of the Church of Denmark. Much of his work deals with religious themes such as faith in God, the institution of the Christian Church, Christian ethics and theology, and the emotions and feelings of individua ...more
More about Søren Kierkegaard...

“I once knew of a girl whose story forms the substance of the diary. Whether he has seduced others I do not know... we learn of his desire for something altogether arbitrary. With the help of his mental gifts he knew how to tempt a girl to draw her to him without caring to possess her in any stricter sense.

I can imagine him able to bring a girl to the point where he was sure she would sacrifice all then he would leave without a word let a lone a declaration a promise.

The unhappy girl would retain the consciousness of it with double bitterness because there was not the slightest thing she could appeal to. She could only be constantly tossed about in a terrible witches' dance at one moment reproaching herself forgiving him at another reproaching him and then since the relationship would only have been actual in a figurative sense she would constantly have to contend with the doubt that the whole thing might only have been an imagination.

33 likes