Start by marking “The Risk of Infidelity Index: Vincent Calvino, an American P.I. in Bangkok” as Want to Read:
The Risk of Infidelity Index: Vincent Calvino, an American P.I. in Bangkok

The Risk of Infidelity Index: Vincent Calvino, an American P.I. in Bangkok (Vincent Calvino #9)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In the nearly twenty years he has lived in Bangkok, Christopher G. Moore has written nine novels starring Vincent Calvino, a disbarred American lawyer working as a P.I. in the dark and steamy Thai capital. Internationally acclaimed, the prize-winning novels have been translated into ten languages. With The Risk of Infidelity Index, the wonderful series will finally be laun ...more
Published December 21st 2007 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Risk of Infidelity Index, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Risk of Infidelity Index

Shari
Bangkok by insiders, something that is completely new to me. Grand and obstreperous characters, funny and frightening at the same time. What charms the expats into staying in a place so very different from what they are used to? For the business world I can understand it is money, but for those who have just hung in there without seemingly strong reasons for keeping them there, what is the attraction? How honestly can I buy into the 'sin city' moniker? Is it the ambience of the exotic?

Calvino ha
Ashland Mystery Oregon
It's always fun to find a new author, and that I did when I picked up Christopher Moore's Asia Hand at the Ashland Public Library. I was thrown into the steamy, despairing world of Vincent Calvino's Bangkok, Thailand. Moore popped up again in Bangkok Noir (note: not published by Akashic), an anthology of original crime fiction by locals and others, all set in Bangkok. I found The Risk of Infidelity Index on PaperbackSwap.com and was thrilled to continue the trip.

Vincent Calvino is a smart, but
Nancy Oakes
I have read about this series, but this is the first time I've picked up one of this author's novels. I liked it and first thing today I ordered my own copy, and scoped out the other books in the series.

The main character in this book, set in Bangkok, is Vincent Calvino, an ex-pat New Yorker who runs his private eye business out of an office in the same building as a massage parlor. He's just finished a huge surveillance gig, gathering evidence for an attorney who asked him to get the goods on
Carl
Although not a major mystery fan, I've found myself reading several lately. Most are formulaic, and I usually get bored on the second of most author's works. Exceptions are when I am given a look at a strange time or place or culture (think Tony Hillerman, or Lindsey Davis). That may happen when I read another of this author's works, but I'll try it when I can. So far, it seems he's well known all over the world, but just recently published in the US. Although the hero is a Hammett-like hard-dri ...more
Larry Hoffer
I had never heard of this series before picking up this book at the airport, but this is exactly the type of series I enjoy--terrific characterizations, a plot with some twists that isn't too hard to follow, and a great setting in Bangkok. (This book provided an interesting counterpoint to John Burdett's Bangkok series, which I highly recommend.) Vincent Calvino, disbarred American lawyer now working as a PI in Bangkok, definitely wants out. And he thinks he has found the client to get him out. ...more
Sanuk
I enjoyed reading this book. It is action packed but the characters are also well defined. The novel is set in Bangkok, the capital of Thailand which adds an exotic taste to the novel. This novel is about an American P.I. who have found some illegal activities some would prefer not to be revealed. There is also some investigation of infidelity and all this is described vividly in the day to day life of foreigners living in Bangkok.
Missmath144
I enjoyed the first three-quarters of the book more than the end. Also, there were places where I wasn't clear about what the author was saying; this happened frequently, but not relating to anything significant in the plot, so it wasn't too distracting. Maybe I'm just getting too old. Anyway, I enjoyed it enough that I will try another book in his Vincent Calvino series.
Jeremiah Genest
A fun, but not cerebral crime novel. A warning that the tone of the narrative is slightly off — the general satire seems a bit too blunt, and downright mean especially when women are involved. But I really like the flashy style which successfully captures the dizzying contradictions of modern Bangkok and the book was very fun and easy to read.
Jon
An interesting take on the traditional noir detective novel; a New York ex-pat running a 2-person private detective agancy in modern bangcock. It had a bit of a Marlow feel to it. A little herky jerky in the narrative at times, but still a solid B-. I don't know if I was inspired to read any more in the series, though.
Charles
Was turned on to Christopher G. Moore by Pat at Poisoned Pen book store in Scottsdale, AZ. Searched and finally found Spirit House. Loved the book. Finally found this book. Liked it even more.

Learned more of Vincent's past and his motivations.

Superb book. Hope to see the rest of the series make it to the states.
William
Nice enough book in the suspense category, with some strong characters. A bit slow at the beginning. The author's split narrative perspective betrays more of a screenwriters craft than a straight ahead novelist. (The violence and ease of the resolution are a little too clean given the essential nourish ness of the novel.
Jill
Preferred Spirit House but still enjoyed this one as well. Plot was a bit more languid b ut definitely held it's moments of tension. Look forward to findmore but unfortunately, I think I've tapped the public library system out on this series already.
Erik
So-so mystery set in the financial world of modern day Bangkok. I read it to learn more about Thai culture and society, as well as the geographical landscape of the city where my cousin lives. Mission accomplished.
Aurora
I brought this home after a customer enthusiastically recommended it and actually handed it to me. I read about 100 or so pages and nothing about it was appealing to me, so ...I'm moving on.
Harvee
Detective novel set in the multi-layered, complex society of Bangkok. More here...
Karen
My first Vincent Calvino (the detective) novel and definitely not my last. A trifle violent for my taste, but it was very addictive. Will definitely read more.
Sue
Sep 30, 2009 Sue marked it as decided-not-to-read
I had never heard of this author, sort of picked up the book by accident in Italy. It seems like a well-written mystery, but in a writing style that I don't like.
Joy
Thai-based novel, NYC writer, 1st published book (in the U.S.). Very well written for this genre; need to remeber the author/character and read more.
Sara
Eh. He's no John Burdett, but I'd check out one of the older ones to see if they are better.
Suevw
Wow - learned lots about Bangkok AND that I've got a new author to get more of!!
Kate
I read this book to get a flavor of Thailand....an OK mystery but not all that Thai.
Amanda
Fun but too violent and sexist for me to whole-heartedly recommend
Genine Franklin-Clark

Didn't finish it; didn't care for the characters.
Susan
Lots of fun exploring a new city and new culture.
Sandra
I had to force myself to push through this one.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • For the Dead (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #6)
  • The Scottish Banker of Surabaya (Ava Lee, #5)
  • Crack-Up
  • Slash and Burn (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #8)
  • Death Reins In (Horse Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Darkscope
  • 4 Gigs of Trouble
  • Choke on Your Lies
  • Lightning on the Sun: A Novel
  • Guns of Seneca 6 (Guns of Seneca 6, #1)
  • The Kiss Murder
  • Telling Lies (Laurel and Helen New York Mystery #1)
  • The Jerusalem Inception
  • Mad Money
  • The Charlestown Connection
  • Hellbender
  • Twisted Justice (Justice Series # 2)
  • A Lighter Shade of Gray
Christopher George Moore is a Canadian novelist who has lived in Bangkok, Thailand since 1988. He formerly taught law at the University of British Columbia. After his first book His Lordship’s Arsenal was published in New York to a critical acclaim in 1985, Moore became a full-time writer and has authored 18 novels and one collection of interlocked short stories. Moore’s novels have been called “c ...more
More about Christopher G. Moore...

Vincent Calvino (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Spirit House
  • Asia Hand
  • Zero Hour in Phnom Pehn
  • Comfort Zone
  • The Big Weird
  • Cold Hit: A Novel
  • Minor Wife
  • Pattaya 24/7
  • Paying Back Jack: A Vincent Calvino Novel (Vincent Calvino, #10)
  • The Corruptionist (Vincent Calvino, #11)
Spirit House Bangkok Noir Asia Hand Paying Back Jack: A Vincent Calvino Novel (Vincent Calvino, #10) Zero Hour in Phnom Pehn

“*Okay, you make eating hos sound pretty. talk poetry to me, writer boy.*” 3 likes