Start by marking “We Owe You Nothing: Expanded Edition: Punk Planet: The Collected Interviews” as Want to Read:
We Owe You Nothing: Expanded Edition: Punk Planet: The Collected Interviews

We Owe You Nothing: Expanded Edition: Punk Planet: The Collected Interviews

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  843 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Updated with six more interviews and a new introduction, the expanded edition of We Owe You Nothing brings the definitive book of conversations with the underground’s greatest minds up to 2007. New interviews include talks with bands like The Gossip and Maritime, a conversation with punk legend Bob Mould, and more . . . in addition to the classic interviews from the origin ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Akashic Books (first published February 15th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about We Owe You Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Owe You Nothing

Do I know much about "Punk"? No not really. I picked this book up because the cover and general design was interesting and I hoped to learn more about the genre and movement straight from the mouths of those involved. It starts out with a really inspiring interview with Ian MacKaye but my reading pace soon varied through the 346 pages. Some of the interviews were pretty boring. Some of them simply sounded like rants about those damn kids, get off my lawn etc. But a lot of the interviews really s ...more
Alex Vincent
Nov 14, 2008 Alex Vincent rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to not hate music journalism
Music journalism (dancing about architecture?) is highly unreadable; when the subject is Punk that designation becomes generous. Which is what is so surprising about this book. Like Please Kill Me, We Owe You Nothing lets the subjects honestly and for better or worse explain and justify their art. There are several artists in the book I've never read any interviews with at all, such as Negativeland and Jem Cohen, and I especially liked the oral history of Black Flag, in which Henry Rollins is F ...more
Bryan
Chicken soup for the DIY soul, I found this book more inspiring and enlightening than I imagined it would be. I recommend it to anyone who isn't afraid to live their life according to their own agendas, not someone else's.

I'm hyped to read the revised edition as many of these interviews were done right on the cusp of technological and political changes.
Kristen
Some excellent interviews with a number of punk musicians, artists, and other major players. I never read this magazine while it was in print—mostly because I was incredibly oblivious—but I found this book at my local library and particularly enjoyed the Q&As with Ian MacKaye, Sleater-Kinney, Steve Albini, and graphic designer Art Chantry. I could especially identify with Chantry's preference for more traditional design methods (as design has been commodified by technology) and Duncan Barlow ...more
East Bay J
Punk Planet was the best “punk” magazine ever to see publication. The staff were operating on a level that embraced forward thinking and cast a wide net to include all the denizens of punk, be they musician, film maker, author, graphic designer, etc. It was always a treat to pick up a copy of Punk Planet because, always, there was inspiration in those pages.

Reading what Editor, Daniel Sinker, thinks of as the cream of the crop of interviews done for the magazine is a chance to revisit the qualit
Ryan Mishap
While some of the interviews were interesting, the fact that they all start with the premise that punk is fucked up and unredeemable (hey, that's why many of those interviewed left it, right, cos it sucks!) put a sour taste in my mouth. Basically they almost all follow a pattern: who are you, what did you do, wasn't punk great once but now it sucks so what is this better thing you are doing now. Blah, blah, blah and shut the fuck up already.
That was always Punk Planet's problem, though--it was
Graham
Interviews, interviews, and then more interviews. Gets a little boring pretty fast. And disappointing, too. In particular, Kathleen Hanna unfortunately comes off as self-centered and even slightly reactionary. The interviews with Black Flag is the typical boring drama that no one cares about. If there are any highlights they are the interviews with Steve Albini, Jon Strange, Bob Mould, Los Crudos, and the Central Ohio Abortion Access Fund. Everything else is the same old shit.

Betsy
The trouble with this collection of interviews is that if you don't care about the artist being interviewed, you probably don't care what they're saying. Or get their references to their own work.

I read the people I liked, which was nice, then I read a couple of the interviews of people I'd heard of, which was dull. And then I stopped.

If you like one of the artists in the book, you could probably just read it in the bookstore.
Rachel Anita ♥
Overall, very informative and a great way to show how versatile a punk mag is! I highly recommend it to music lovers. And non-music lovers. Everyone, really. Just read it.
Melissa
Interesting to read some of these interviews that took place ten or more years ago. It's also funny how some of their politic predictions were spot on and getting the reminder of how things were in music before the digital world. Some people were total disappointments though, and it ruined what I think about them and their music. Oh well! Still a fun read!
Tamara
Jan 29, 2008 Tamara rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Oprah's Book Club
Shelves: non-fiction
Some interesting interviews here, notably Noam Chomsky, Kathleen Hanna, Los Crudos and Frank Kozik. Lots of stuff you've heard already, such as ramblings by Jello Biafra, Black Flag, et al. Pays almost exclusive attention to the '90's. Interesting stuff, but by no means indispensable -- a good read for the bus or the beach, or a nice primer for the young'uns.
Ang Quine
This is an excellent collection of interviews from Punk Planet. The interviewees are inspiring and interesting. I now feel like I should be doing more. I'm going out to chuck paint at some fur coats! Laters xx
Kathleen
Dripping with ego, angst, idealism and power chords. I picked this up for the interviews with the Gossip, Sleater Kinney and Kathleen Hanna. Great reads but the standout was probably the collection of interviews with Black Flag members...so bitchy.
Jason
I've read it a few times and I love the snapshot of music that it portrays. I know there are scenes out there that reflect what happened with punk music, I am just too old to find them anymore, in the meantime, I will just relive the good old days.
Chi Chi
An interesting collection of interviews from Punk Planet, some from people I already knew would be good (Steve Albini, Kathleen Hana) and some I didn't already know (Los Crudos, Matt Wobensmith).
Karen
Sep 06, 2008 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anybody, but certainly punks/old punks
This is really enjoyable, mixed with more than a tinge of sadness - Punk Planet the zine finally ceased publication this summer. Go read it, especially if you've never experienced the zine.
Ursula
Some very interesting, inspiring interviews and some very dull ones.
Interviewers keep pushing the 'punk & politics' angle, which gets boring/repetitive very soon.
Amanda
Some of the interviews were great, some not so much. I am not very well informed about punk music so some of it was confusing, but it was a very interesting read.
Amy Kinard
Not a whole lot here I hadn't read before. Some of the interviews just seemed really dry and uninspiring. There are other, much better books out there...
Cherie
B Some entries were super interesting (like the Sleater Kinney and Kathleen Hanna interviews), others I skipped
zach willett
i loved this book. just alot of outstanding interviews with under-rated musicians. it was very honest.
Jordan
I loved Punk Planet, and the interviews in this book are a big part of the reason why.

RIP, old friend.
Velonda Haley
a history of punk i never even new about pretty insightfull shit if thats what your into.
Michael
most of it was crap, the black flag interviews with every single member was probably the best.
Liz
even thought it's dated, there's no way that i could find this book unenjoyable.
Kara
a nice little reminder that punk is an ideology instead of just a fashion statement.
Elizabeth
Sep 18, 2012 Elizabeth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
thanks to theresa for telling me about this gem.
Anna Bond
I cried when Punk Planet died.
Ian
  • Touch and Go: The Complete Hardcore Punk Zine '79-'83
  • Dance of Days: Two Decades of Punk in the Nation's Capital
  • Selected Letters, 1913-1965
  • Moliere: A Biography
  • The Peace of Nicias and the Sicilian Expedition (Peloponnesian War)
  • The Velvet Underground & Nico
  • Our Noise: The Story of Merge Records, the Indie Label That Got Big and Stayed Small
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • Cinderella's Big Score: Women of the Punk and Indie Underground
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • The Holy Barbarians
  • My Lai 4; a Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • Lexicon Devil: The Fast Times and Short Life of Darby Crash and The Germs
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • Gimme Something Better: The Profound, Progressive, and Occasionally Pointless History of Bay Area Punk from Dead Kennedys to Green Day
Dan Sinker is a journalist, journalism professor, and editor.
More about Daniel Sinker...
The F***ing Epic Twitter Quest of @MayorEmanuel Weapons And Motives