Start by marking “Paradise Kiss, Vol. 5 (Paradise Kiss, #5)” as Want to Read:
Paradise Kiss, Vol. 5 (Paradise Kiss, #5)

Paradise Kiss, Vol. 5 (Paradise Kiss #5)

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  2,936 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Fashion, glamour, divas and designers put on their best threads and put on a show-stopping catwalk, featuring Yukari in the creations by the always stylish and aloof George. George's unusual and gorgeous creations received mixed reactions, with more attention going to Yukari's good looks than the clothes she was modeling. With his future uncertain, he and Yukari's relation ...more
Published May 17th 2005 by Tokyopop (first published August 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Paradise Kiss, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradise Kiss, Vol. 5

Rebecca
Jul 30, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
*REVIEW FOR ENTIRE SERIES* *QUITE SPOILER-Y*

I first read this series in my teens. Now I'm 22. I still often get a craving to read manga. Particularly romance manga. There's something about it that makes it a romance genre in itself. I wasn't expecting to love this series the same way I loved it when I was young. I did love it. But my responses were not really the same.

When I finished this book in my youth, I put it down with tears streaming down my face. I was so, so, incredibly upset that (view
Yukino
Jul 12, 2016 Yukino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miei, 2016, manga
Emily
Mar 18, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, read-in-2010
How intense was this series! I'm definitely a fan of Yazawa, all she does are masterpieces.

I loved Parakiss, especially for being so clever and complex and subtle and fun at the same time, it was so so enjoyable to read!

Even though the first volume didn't hook me completely, after the second one I was totally craving for more, despite not liking some of the characters. There's something in George that I ddn't like till the end, perhaps that he's so abusive and rude with Yukari, who's only a chil
veronica ☾
Mar 08, 2017 veronica ☾ rated it it was amazing
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Wonderful. *^*

La recensione sul blog: She was in Wonderland .

- - - - -

5/5 read
Jesse
Sep 21, 2010 Jesse rated it it was amazing
Carrie Asagiri
Jan 29, 2015 Carrie Asagiri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Realmente haber leído este manga ha sido una experiencia sumamente intensa. Creo que es la mejor obra de Ai Yazawa, porque es completa y redonda. Resuma de realismo y al mismo tiempo no deja de lado el idealismo de la adolescencia, los temores y el paso inevitable a la adultez.
El dibujo es soberbio, con un estilo que camina entre los senderos del un estilo realista, figurín de moda y manga.
Una joyita del comic en general y del manga en particular.
Lauren
Jun 14, 2010 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've reread these 5 books at least 10 times. I'm so in love with Ai Yazawa's world. I remember picking it up and being surprised at how different it was from the other manga I've read (lots of Clamp, Yu Watase). It felt like a real world, with plausible drama that didn't involve any magic or twists of fate. I've since gone on to read 'Quarter Moon', and her mega-series (21 books and counting) 'Nana'. I'm still in love.
Katie
Dec 25, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, completed
see full review @ Katie's Corner

I actually stayed up all night to finish this manga. Why I chose it? No idea, I was roaming on youtube some of my favourite videos and somehow the video about thi manga came up. I liked it, and because it was made as an anime I made a tick in my brain to watch it some other time. Howeve, after getting back from my friend’s place at about 1 a.m. and starting with absolutely different book to read, something clicked in my brain and I said, I want to read this one ri
Jessica
Apr 30, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing
My overall rating for Paradise Kiss from volume 1-4 is 5/5 for Vol. 5 is still 5/5, minus one. Why is that? I tell you. I read the manga many years ago and couldn't stop reading every book release. It just have everything! Romance, Drama and Comedy. So funny I get tears from laughing, sometimes too sad I can't stop my tears from falling. (view spoiler) ...more
Mazohyst
Fact: Throughout these five volumes, I've been infatuated with George. Extremely weird, I know. But his character is so extremely complex and crafted so well, that I can't help but feel drawn into him in a way. Are there really men like him? I'll have to stay clear from them.

Back on to the review. The only thing I'm disappointed about is how the ending was so predictable! From the moment George was introduced, I've been having little nagging thoughts about Hiro in the back of my mind. My suspici
Jenalyn
Oct 11, 2011 Jenalyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, adult, realistic
Angela Auten
May 15, 2016 Angela Auten rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books, series
Paradise Kiss Volume 5

Manga Rating: 5 stars out of 5.

Story Line: 5 stars out of 5. I read the manga because I watched the anime. I wanted to see how close the anime came to the manga. This volume represented episode 12. This is the last volume. At the end you find out a lot more than you do in the show. I was actually happy who Yukari ended up with in the end. I loved this whole manga and I loved the anime. I can't wait to read more of Ai Yazawa's stuff.

Characters: 5 stars out 5. I loved everyo
Rahma
Jan 07, 2016 Rahma rated it it was amazing
This is my first time reading something by the marvelous Ms. Yazawa and it will not be my last time.

My only critique was the introduction of Kaori's character...I wish she had showed up perhaps atleast once before in one of the earlier volumes. Or the idea of George's future ambitions was mentioned before hand to make the plot less rushed in this volume. I didn't get to really appreciate Kaoris character as much as I would have liked too.

(spoiler)

I saw the ending coming and I didn't mind it.
Jaclyn
Aug 23, 2015 Jaclyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
My first time reading anything by Yazawa and I was very impressed by her method of storytelling and illustrative style. Despite being a book about the ever-shifting field of fashion, this book has aged well into 2015 with the outfits being just as impressive as ever and the story more relevant in our culture of worshipping supermodels and escalating them to celebrity status.

Yazawa does a magnificent job throwing the reader into Yukari's twisted romance built on manipulation and lust. It's a litt
Janitag
Jan 02, 2015 Janitag rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I liked the art, I liked the fashion and I liked the humour. Yukari was very likable and her struggle of finding herself was interesting to follow. I loved the ending even if it felt a bit rushed.

My main problem was George and the fact that most people seem to find their relationship really romantic. I found their relationship to be really toxic; clingy and manipulative. And what about Arashi? A posessive young brat. UGHHH.

I really do hope Ai Yazawa does not support these kind of relationships o
Violet Sakura
Jan 03, 2010 Violet Sakura rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, paradise-kiss
Loved this manga!
Really strangely started manga...for me.
I wanted to watch the movie (though I had this in my to-read shelve for a while), then started watching the anime...Then read the manga really fast...This is my problem...mustn't read anything too fast, it spoils the impression...But whatever...Loved it!
I wish I could have the dresses George made!!! And the butterfly ring! (going to buy one as soon as possible, am crazy about butterfly patterns)
Loved Yukari's personality, saw a lot of prog
VampireAngelSadist
WHAT THE HELL?
(view spoiler)
Well I d
☆Tweety ☆
Nov 27, 2015 ☆Tweety ☆ rated it it was amazing
*Review for the entire series*

I have read this manga in two days because I feel it's original and unpredictable. It's the first by Ai Yazawa I read, and now I understand why a lot of people love her style. Her drawings are very emotional despite at times I don't like the style, and her story on this one wasn't the usual love triangle you see nowadays. The character had personality and seemed true, struggling with their decisions.

Perhaps I was a bit surprised about the end, but it wouldn't be rea
Treasure
It's the final volume! A lovely ending... a little bittersweet but in reality exactly what you wanted (ok, what I wanted!) to happen for the characters. I won't spoil everything, but I am thrilled that Yukari ended up in a stable, non-abusive relationship in the end.
I never got tired of this series, I didn't feel like things got strung out too long and it left me wanting just a bit more, which is perfect in a managa series! A great chouice for older teens or adults looking for less slapstick an
Jeejy
Jul 16, 2012 Jeejy rated it it was amazing
Jason
Jul 13, 2010 Jason rated it it was amazing
A fitting finale to a phenomenal series. I love the ending...it's not cloying or obvious, just perfectly fitting for this coming of age story. The ending felt like it leapt out of the era of classic Hollywood romance stories like Casablanca, where a happy ending doesn't necessary mean the characters (or the audience!) get exactly what they want, but you feel satisfied just the same. Love-love-loved this series.
Drea
Jan 07, 2017 Drea rated it really liked it
This series was really good, I love how much Caroline change, and everything was on point. George really pissed me off, but it makes sense what why he did what he did. Although he was an asshole, he did help Caroline in a lot of ways, and when I saw that, it made me thing about so many things, kinda like when I saw the Anime of Nana, it hit me. This is a must read, if you like Nana, you are gonna like this series and the Anime too.
Sophie
Apr 05, 2013 Sophie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-challenge, manga
The ending was satisfying... but missed telling some of the story. It was a good manga series, but in my opinion, not as good as NANA. BUT, it was written before NANA, and it's interesting to see an author progress. Overall, it was entertaining and I would recommend, especially if you are interested in fashion.
Anived
Sep 11, 2010 Anived rated it it was amazing
love love looovee this manga.
the ending is perfect.

Ai Yazawa creates character that feels so genuine and place them in realistic circumstances. I just love how dreamy, beautiful, and perfect the world seems to be. And how harsh the reality actually is.

Surprisingly, out of all the characters, George is the one i can most relate to.
M Strawberry Reviews
Nov 14, 2012 M Strawberry Reviews rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, romance
The ending to the series is bittersweet, but also realistic. There's some happiness, but not every ending is happy, otherwise that'd be cliched. The fashion designs and illustrations are simply beautiful. The characters are also nicely developed as they make choices regarding their lives and possibilities.
Sudeshna
Dec 11, 2010 Sudeshna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
So sad! Why couldn't she make a happy ending? I mean, I knew George and Yukari would never work, but was the author hinting on George and Isabelle? Or the other girl who lives in London? I'm glad Miwako and Arashi married, and I've always supported the Yukari/Hroyuki pairing, so everything turned out like I wanted, but it was still SO SAD!!!!
Jenni
Jan 12, 2012 Jenni rated it it was amazing
The ending was not the one that I hoped for but I still liked it.
The most important and unforgettable person may not end up with you, but he will always be in your heart.

Ai Yazawa is seriously a good illustrator. I loved every characters and the details are just superb. Going to start on her next manga: Nana
Kenza
Mar 11, 2015 Kenza rated it it was amazing
Shelves: these-are-life, manga
BRILLANT!
I love this ending so much, so realistic and beautiful... This is exactly what I hoped for. (view spoiler)

I love love looove this manga so much, it really manipulated my emotions, it was insane.

Ai Yazawa is definitely on another level!
Caroline
Jan 02, 2016 Caroline rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-comics
Rating is for the series overall -- it's beautifully done & I did enjoy it. I do feel the need to flag this volume as the one I'd been vaguely warned about that basically has a rape-apologist story line -- it's a small bit involving supporting characters, not the main plot, but it did leave me a bit soured toward the whole series.
Lara
Jan 19, 2008 Lara rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite endings in the history of endings, ever. I don't know why, but I just love it--beautiful and sad and realistic in a way you don't find too often in shojo manga. But then, Ai Yazawa is in a class of her own...
  • Mars, Volume 13
  • Tramps Like Us, Volume 3
  • Chobits, Vol. 6
  • Hot Gimmick, Vol. 6
  • Model, Vol. 6
Ai Yazawa (矢沢 あい ,Yazawa Ai, born 1967-03-07 in Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan) is a Japanese manga author. Her pen name comes from Japanese singer Eikichi Yazawa, of whom she is a fan.

Yazawa started her manga publishing life in 1985; throughout 15 years of publishing, she wrote over 10 series in Ribon. While most of her manga continues to be published in Japan by Shueisha, publishers of Ribon and Cookie
More about Ai Yazawa...

Paradise Kiss (5 books)
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 1 (Paradise Kiss, #1)
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 2 (Paradise Kiss, #2)
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 3 (Paradise Kiss, #3)
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 4 (Paradise Kiss, #4)

“A woman's happiness is in throwing everything away to live for love.” 52 likes