Start by marking “Filibuster to Delay a Kiss: And Other Poems” as Want to Read:
Filibuster to Delay a Kiss: And Other Poems

Filibuster to Delay a Kiss: And Other Poems

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  41 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Family was a whitewashed, / milk-toothed word / that couldn’t account for the mother / who wept and burnt / the roast if the floor was dirty– / or if it was Tuesday, or there were clouds.

Written in an eloquent and searingly honest voice, these poems address the pain and pleasure of growing up. Courtney Queeney tells intense emotional truths in poetry that is at once person
Published November 19th 2008 by Random House (first published June 12th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Filibuster to Delay a Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Filibuster to Delay a Kiss

L
Feb 17, 2011 L rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetic-license
Intense and rather heavy - if not disturbing - but I was completely sucked in. There were many beautiful phrases. It's largely about painful relationships with family, partners and herself. I read all the poems in one sitting and will likely read them many more times in the future.
Dana Jerman
Aug 18, 2011 Dana Jerman rated it really liked it
Shelves: c-h-i-c-a-g-o
Here are some very beautiful damaged goods.
Karen
Aug 22, 2007 Karen rated it it was amazing
I am extremely biased because I taught Courtney when she was in high school and she remains one of the two most talented writers I have ever come across, but I have to agree with Billy Collins, who says on the back cover blurb that the poems in this book are both "gritty" and "lyrical," two words that simply leap into my head when I remember the pieces that Courtney brought to me during our multitudinous conferences a decade or so ago.

This is not a book to be inhaled voraciously; there is too m
Rick Byam
Nov 08, 2014 Rick Byam rated it liked it
Dark. Painful. After reviewing her bio. and some info. online, including her acquisition of a MFA and various accolades, I wonder if she's writing for relief of past experiences or for shock effect. I don't know enough of her work or life to make that determination.
Melissa
Aug 26, 2007 Melissa rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Electra complex sufferers
I'm still on the fence about this book (perhaps it doesn't help that I read more than half of it in Banjo Jim's waiting for the Bandits gig to start); it probably deserves another read before being harshly judged. There were a few remarkable poems in here ("Confession" & "Problems with the Eye" notably), but the overall effect of the book, the weight of the constant authorial "I," was wearying. Also, Queeney has a few linguistic tics that probably wouldn't be noticed when her poems are sprea ...more
Dawn Rutherford
Sep 11, 2014 Dawn Rutherford rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Readable, but largely forgettable, aside from a few great lines (and title).
Tasha
Jul 23, 2013 Tasha rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I think I discovered Courtney's work on the Poetry Foundation's site and was immediately drawn in. It's a courageous book, gritty and lyrical. If you like the work of Kara Candito, Anna Journey, Ashley Capps, and Dorothea Lasky (as I do) I think you'll like Courtney's work.
Casey Kiser
Jul 26, 2012 Casey Kiser rated it it was amazing
This book blew away from the very first page. Bold and intense, just the way I like my poetry :) Her poems are bursting with madness and pain. The writing is spectacular. And she's got a lot to say about her mother ;)
My absolute favorite book at the moment!
Colettemariehayes
Jul 22, 2008 Colettemariehayes rated it liked it
To read, at long last, a poet so very near my own age and experience was disturbing, eerie, exciting, and strangely fantastic. Favorites: Saint Mother, Conviction, Filibuster to Delay a Kiss, and Invitation.

Noah
Aug 06, 2008 Noah rated it really liked it
Some really beautiful lines within this collection. Topics include: lost love, found love, love songs, and the trouble with love.
Juliet
Apr 28, 2009 Juliet rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
"The flaw with trying to reason

myself free was my brain, both the fault
and the only hold I had."
M
M rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Svenja
Svenja rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Gonzalo
Gonzalo rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Tinderbox Editions
Tinderbox Editions rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
Scott Carlson
Scott Carlson rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Mary
Mary is currently reading it
Mar 03, 2015
K
K added it
Apr 17, 2016
Iris
Iris marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Ante Pamuković
Ante Pamuković marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Natalia Yeromenko
Natalia Yeromenko marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Becky Lee
Becky Lee marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Sara Chuirazzi
Sara Chuirazzi rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2014
Liz
Liz added it
Jul 18, 2014
Cory Lomberg
Cory Lomberg is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2014
PrivateHQ
PrivateHQ marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Liz Bell
Liz Bell rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2014
Breen
Breen marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Cody
Cody rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2014