Start by marking “Filibuster to Delay a Kiss: And Other Poems” as Want to Read:
Filibuster to Delay a Kiss: And Other Poems

Filibuster to Delay a Kiss: And Other Poems

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Family was a whitewashed, / milk-toothed word / that couldn’t account for the mother / who wept and burnt / the roast if the floor was dirty– / or if it was Tuesday, or there were clouds.

Written in an eloquent and searingly honest voice, these poems address the pain and pleasure of growing up. Courtney Queeney tells intense emotional truths in poetry that is at once person
Published November 19th 2008 by Random House (first published June 12th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Filibuster to Delay a Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Filibuster to Delay a Kiss

Jerman
Here are some very beautiful damaged goods.
Karen
I am extremely biased because I taught Courtney when she was in high school and she remains one of the two most talented writers I have ever come across, but I have to agree with Billy Collins, who says on the back cover blurb that the poems in this book are both "gritty" and "lyrical," two words that simply leap into my head when I remember the pieces that Courtney brought to me during our multitudinous conferences a decade or so ago.

This is not a book to be inhaled voraciously; there is too m
L
Intense and rather heavy - if not disturbing - but I was completely sucked in. There were many beautiful phrases. It's largely about painful relationships with family, partners and herself. I read all the poems in one sitting and will likely read them many more times in the future.
Rick Byam
Dark. Painful. After reviewing her bio. and some info. online, including her acquisition of a MFA and various accolades, I wonder if she's writing for relief of past experiences or for shock effect. I don't know enough of her work or life to make that determination.
Melissa
Aug 26, 2007 Melissa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Electra complex sufferers
I'm still on the fence about this book (perhaps it doesn't help that I read more than half of it in Banjo Jim's waiting for the Bandits gig to start); it probably deserves another read before being harshly judged. There were a few remarkable poems in here ("Confession" & "Problems with the Eye" notably), but the overall effect of the book, the weight of the constant authorial "I," was wearying. Also, Queeney has a few linguistic tics that probably wouldn't be noticed when her poems are sprea ...more
Dawn Rutherford
Readable, but largely forgettable, aside from a few great lines (and title).
Tasha
I loved this book. I think I discovered Courtney's work on the Poetry Foundation's site and was immediately drawn in. It's a courageous book, gritty and lyrical. If you like the work of Kara Candito, Anna Journey, Ashley Capps, and Dorothea Lasky (as I do) I think you'll like Courtney's work.
Casey Kiser
This book blew away from the very first page. Bold and intense, just the way I like my poetry :) Her poems are bursting with madness and pain. The writing is spectacular. And she's got a lot to say about her mother ;)
My absolute favorite book at the moment!
Colettemariehayes
To read, at long last, a poet so very near my own age and experience was disturbing, eerie, exciting, and strangely fantastic. Favorites: Saint Mother, Conviction, Filibuster to Delay a Kiss, and Invitation.

Noah
Some really beautiful lines within this collection. Topics include: lost love, found love, love songs, and the trouble with love.
Juliet
"The flaw with trying to reason

myself free was my brain, both the fault
and the only hold I had."
Ante Pamuković
Ante Pamuković marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Natalia Yeryomenko
Natalia Yeryomenko marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Becky Lee
Becky Lee marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Liz
Liz added it
Jul 18, 2014
Cory Lomberg
Cory Lomberg is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2014
PrivateHQ
PrivateHQ marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Breen
Breen marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Trudy
Trudy added it
Jan 01, 2014
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Kenzii
Kenzii marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Ted Dziedzic
Ted Dziedzic marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013