Start by marking “Mahogany Slade” as Want to Read:
Mahogany Slade

Mahogany Slade

So, who's Mahogany Slade? Stylish New Yorker Janet can't seem to shake her. Green-haired, tattooed Heather -- normally too cool to be bothered -- can't stand her. Andy, who has an opinion on everything, was never able to figure her out. And Brad, who's waiting for his life to start, might just love her if he could ever see past Janet.

Set in Athens, Georgia, "Mahogany Slad
Published September 19th 2012 by Black Saint Records (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mahogany Slade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mahogany Slade

Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
The heart knows what the brain does not know. I say this because we are always loving with all our emotions and when we love we love hard. This is the case with Brad who is a freshmen in college and has fallen for Janet. Janet is a quirky girl and gives Brad a run for his money. Love is definitely blind when it comes to this couple.

School is hard enough especially being a freshmen far away from home and no one to really turn to. But Brad holds fast to what his heart is telling him. I love a sto
Sage Adderley
Sep 18, 2012 Sage Adderley rated it really liked it
Brad Carlton arrives in Athens, Georgia from Greenville, South Carolina to begin school as a freshman at the University of Georgia. He quickly becomes infatuated with a fellow student and New York native, Janet Tomalin. Their social encounters and entertaining interactions balance on a fine line between friendship and intimacy. Surrounded by a lively cast of characters, Brad attempts to juggle his feelings for Janet, various friendships, city adventures, and school.

Stephen Robinson is a sensatio
Amy
Sep 15, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Robinson captures that feeling of entering college for the first time with the freedom and interesting characters that come with it. A time when simply going out for lunch could be an adventure. Not to mention the amount of detail he provides for Athens, GA, circa 1992. Bittersweet walk down memory lane.
Claire Germain
Sep 25, 2015 Claire Germain rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable exploration of late-late 20th Century college life, from the perspective of a young black man in Athens, Georgia. What's unique to Mahogany Slade is the narrator's tender respect for young women, which I appreciate as a mother of sons who are similarly gentle.

Think of this book as a kind of modern Great Gatsby meets Catcher in the Rye, from the point of view of a much-more-grounded Holden Caulfield.

This book could extinguish lingering stereotypes of young black males, sou
Adriana
Sep 24, 2012 Adriana rated it really liked it

You won't immediately figure out who Mahogany Slade is and I won't ruin it for you. The person is a very important part of the book but then they are not. I love the name anyway really because of Effie Trinket but I digress. This story brings us back to 1992 which was the year our main character, Brad, is going to his first year in college. I love how I'm finding books about the college years since I just started to go. Brad is what you would call a geek.
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)
Did I enjoy this book: Mahogany Slade was a sweet book that brings back the memories of your freshman year at college -- a time of discovery, new love and experiences, the occasional class, some parties, and drinking.

Brad Carlton was very proper in his thoughts and actions. His narrative was a great point of view but his use of large words - such as extemporize, reveries, and punctiliously - did not sound like the typical college freshman that I have met. With that being said, his narrative sty
Misery
Nov 19, 2012 Misery rated it really liked it
I won this book through a Goodreads free giveaway. In addition, the author was kind enough to sign it with a short note included which made me happy! This book was fabulous. It's about a year in the life of a college freshman named Brad. It's about falling in love for the first time, friendship, loyalty and betrayal. I found it astounding that this was Robinsons first work of fiction. His style of writing was exceptionally honest, rich and raw with emotion. Rarely do I fall for a character in a ...more
Michael
Dec 01, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This book captures that wondrous time of discovery and doing the things your parents didn't want you to learn so quickly as you make your own way into the world during your first year of college. Told from Brad Carlton's point of view, Mahogany Slade captures Brad's first introduction to love and more as he enters his freshman year at the University of Georgia in Athens. This book was a great flashback for me and my college years.

Brad meets Janet Tomalin on his first day at school and is instan
Erin
Sep 23, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Remember being 18, starting college? Thinking you knew some things and quickly learning otherwise? Making some great friends who were in the same place as you were? And maybe falling in love for the first time?

Author Stephen Robinson paints a picture of that time which takes you back and helps you not judge your younger self too harshly. While he evokes some memories of your own past experiences, he also weaves a rich tapestry of the University of Georgia-Athens in the 1992-93
Lee
Sep 18, 2012 Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Mahogany Slade is a unique slice of fiction that, on the surface, seems much more like a diary of true events than its purely conjured text belies. This truth comes in the descriptions of place (Athens GA in the early to mid 1990s) and archetypes of new college students struggling to find their own identities by desperately clinging onto stereotypes.

Heather, Brad and even the mysterious Janet could have been assigned to your dorm room or stood next to you at a show at the Fabulous 40 Watt. They
E.K. Ellis
Sep 25, 2012 E.K. Ellis rated it really liked it
Mystique is often an aphrodisiac…
Mahogany Slade touched on many levels; of being young, coming into your own, learning that stepping out of our comfort zone opens up worlds you wouldn’t otherwise venture out.
The writer’s vision for details brings the reader into the story. His vivid descriptions breathe life into his scenes and characters.
The main character’s unrequited love is soul wrenching as we journey along with him in his quest to understand Janet. His highs and lows tug at your emotions.
Natalie
Nov 03, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Goodreads first-reads and what a book! It is simply "divine". It shows the highs and lows of college life and love. The book is narrated by Brad Carlton and follows him as he navigates through the college world around people like Heather Aulds, Janet Tomalin, Andy Razinski etc. His love for Janet becomes apparent but alas, he is introduced to Mahogany Slade. I am not saying anymore, you will just have to pick up the book and read it to find out!
Michele Cacano
Jul 05, 2013 Michele Cacano rated it it was amazing
Like a rich dagwood sandwich on brioche, the language is soulful and delicious. All that being on the edge between teenagedom and adulthood is, Mahogany Slade encapsulates. Being on the outside, being on the inside, being in love, being in awe; the time and age is presented well, all against the backdrop of the late twentieth century Athens scene. I still plan to recreate the playlists from each quarter!
Chris Stanford
Jan 22, 2013 Chris Stanford rated it liked it
Anyone who has been to college will identify with “Mahogany Slade,” which wistfully evokes campus life and a time when everything was new and anything seemed possible. The author has a wry sense of humor and an eye for detail, and his collection of sharply drawn characters accurately captures the awkward emotional awakening of that strange animal: the college freshman.
Mitsy
May 08, 2014 Mitsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-adult
How sweet it is. First love. First year of college. First everything...away from home. Mahogany Slade is all that and much more. This is Brad's story. It's a beautifully written novel to be kept forever and read at least once a year. Classic.
thebookfox
Feb 13, 2015 thebookfox rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
My thoughts on this book in video format:

Evie
Oct 15, 2012 Evie marked it as to-read
Any novel that takes place at my alma mater instantly gets on the to read list.
Amber
Oct 09, 2012 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Karissa
Karissa marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Christina Stoneburner
Christina Stoneburner marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
bigbonton
bigbonton marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Brie
Brie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
judith robinson
judith robinson rated it did not like it
Jul 11, 2015
Wilma
Wilma marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Hg
Hg marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
  • The Night and Gale
  • The Price of Fame
  • Be Quiet, Bird!
  • Mickelsson's Ghosts
  • Single and Sexy Confessions (Hardcore Hotels Volumes 1-4)
  • Arise (Syrenka, #3)
  • Cue Cards for Life: Thoughtful Tips for Better Relationships
  • Death Without Tenure (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #6)
  • Bittersweet (Dancers and Divas, #2)
  • Trillions: Thriving in the Emerging Information Ecology
  • The Book of Jamaica
  • Poets' Guide to America
  • Virolution
  • Demon Blood: Enlightenment (Demon Blood #1)
  • The Peaceable Kingdom: Stories
  • Dreamer
  • No More Rules: Graphic Design and Postmodernism
  • Roommates
Stephen Robinson was born in Greenville, South Carolina, attended college in Athens, Georgia, and spent fifteen years in Manhattan. After some time in Europe, he is settled for the moment in Seattle, Washington. He has lived many places but usually feels at home someplace else.
More about Stephen Robinson...