Start by marking “Amongst the Dead” as Want to Read:
Amongst the Dead

Amongst the Dead

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  35 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Young and alone against the living dead.

Riley has lived alone with her dad in an isolated cabin in New York State for as long as she can remember. It’s just safer. Her dad’s told her about the time before the zombies, but she can only imagine it. Instead of playing with friends, Riley became a crack shot with a rifle. And she’ll need that skill now that her dad’s been bit
Published November 6th 2012 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Amongst the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amongst the Dead

Aaron Dries
Sep 23, 2012 Aaron Dries rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Amongst the Dead” is a zombie-fan’s dream – it gives you everything you want in ways that are entirely fresh and exciting.

It also helps that it’s powered by an absolutely cracking lead character, Riley, a rifle-toting twelve-year-old raised in a world where death is the norm.

Fast and full of gut-wrenching suspense, “Amongst the Dead” succeeds because, amid the glorious carnage (and trust me, there’s plenty), it manages to move you. And that's a big complement - as that element seems to be sadl
Russell James
Nov 03, 2012 Russell James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amongst the Dead follows the journey of pre-teen Riley as she tries to survive the insane aftermath of the zombie apocalypse in upstate New York.

In David Bernstein’s world, it is hard to decide which is more frightening, the mindless terror of the zombie domain, or the calculated evil of the niche carved out by the survivors. The collapse of society leaves humanity at its collective worst. The sick, symbiotic relationship between a biker gang and the Sisterhood of Life is truly terrifying.

Riley
A.E.
Feb 01, 2013 A.E. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Bernstein has another hit on his hands with "Amongst the Dead," a tale of zombie survival with a tough-as-nails but also vulnerable twelve year-old girl, Riley, who finds herself against the undead and in a fight for her life, but there's also some very neat world-building elements here, and that "unique" factor that sets the author's books apart from similar ones in the genre. Even if you're not a huge fan of zombie novels, the powerful storytelling will keep you turning the pages.
Hunter Shea
Oct 15, 2012 Hunter Shea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amongst the dead has single handedly revived the zombie genre! David Bernstein gives us things we've never seen before, all of it centered around Riley, a 12 year old girl who is one of the best characters I've come across in years. Viewing the end of the world through her eyes is amazing, as are the situations she finds herself falling into. This is one tough kid in a brutal, unpredictable world. A fantastic read.
Toxic Graveyard
Dec 21, 2012 Toxic Graveyard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amongst the Dead begins amid a zombie outbreak (duh) that has been well under way for months if not years. Our main character is a 12 year old girl who lives with her dad in an abandoned log cabin in the woods. The dad gets infected and then she has to face a vicious world all on her own.

Amongst the Dead is a short (196 pgs) fast read that I didn’t want to put down. The perspective of the little girl isn’t obnoxious, just honest and hard boiled in a world gone wrong. Cults, rapists, and zombies
Faye, la Patata
Can be read on The Social Potato.

I'm sure you guys are already sick of me saying this over and over and over again, but let me just say this once more for the mere heck of it: I love zombies. Well, I don't really love them in, you know, that manner, but I absolutely love reading survival stories in a zombie-infested world. There's nothing better than watching characters try to survive a world full of flesh-eating abominations. I don't like anarchy, but I love reading about them. The image of no
Matthew Baker
Nov 06, 2012 Matthew Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve said this before, but truly unique zombie stories seem to be few and far between these days. I’m not sure why, but it seems like many authors are content with rehashing the same genre staples over and over again. For this reason, those few original zombie books that I’ve run across hold a special place of honor in my literary collection. AMONGST THE DEAD, the newest release from author David Bernstein, now joins that prestigious list. This book is a fresh and inviting entry into the zombie ...more
Tim McWhorter
Feb 10, 2014 Tim McWhorter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great thriller about kicking zombie ass. This was my first David Bernstein and I liked it immensely. The only thing that kept me from giving it 5 stars was the protagonist's POV. For a 13 year old girl, she thinks like someone considerably more advanced in age. A little too intelligent, a little too experienced, actions a little too tactical. Still, it was a fun and gripping read and I would definitely recommend it.
Mick Ridgewell
Jan 31, 2015 Mick Ridgewell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Bernstein has put the fun back into zombies. With a 12 year old girl, Riley as his kick-ass, gun toting hero this story zips along at a pace that will keep you glued to your chair. Riley is a character that I hope to see again in future books. If you like zombies, this is a must read.
Dave
Jan 25, 2015 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really great read! Fast paced, intense, and fun!
Cambria
Feb 15, 2013 Cambria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
survivalists, zombies, biker gang dudes (without the bikes), zombies who can track by smell, so many attempted rapes (we get it, in the event of a zombie apocalypse all men will become rapists) weird cult of blind women who believe they must re-populate the world. Children with numbers on their neck. Scientists involved.

There, saved you the trouble of reading this book.
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Laurie Reynolds
Laurie Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Robjr73
Robjr73 marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
shanay
shanay marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
The Book Hermit
The Book Hermit marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Odalis Garcia
Odalis Garcia marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Bobbi Jo
Bobbi Jo marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Cher
Cher rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Izzyboobanana
Izzyboobanana marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Free Books, .99 &...: Zombie giveaway!!!!!!!!!! 5 96 Nov 30, 2012 08:35PM
  • Chocolate-Covered Baloney (Confessions of April Grace #3)
  • The Believing Game
  • Permanent Record
  • Escape Theory (Keaton School, #1)
  • Oath of Servitude (The Punishment Sequence #1)
  • The Pied Piper of the Undead
  • Age of the Dead (Rise, #2)
  • Strangelets
  • The Last Infection
  • When Will You Rise: Countdown / Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box
  • Voyage of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #1)
  • Vikram and The Enchanted Seals
  • Taking on the Dead (The Famished Trilogy, #1)
  • Dead of Winter
  • Reckless Hearts (Wicked Games, #2)
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • The Lamplighters
  • State of Decay (Revivors, #1)