Start by marking “Amongst the Dead” as Want to Read:
Amongst the Dead

Amongst the Dead

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Young and alone against the living dead.

Riley has lived alone with her dad in an isolated cabin in New York State for as long as she can remember. It’s just safer. Her dad’s told her about the time before the zombies, but she can only imagine it. Instead of playing with friends, Riley became a crack shot with a rifle. And she’ll need that skill now that her dad’s been bit
Published November 6th 2012 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Amongst the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amongst the Dead

Aaron Dries
"Amongst the Dead” is a zombie-fan’s dream – it gives you everything you want in ways that are entirely fresh and exciting.

It also helps that it’s powered by an absolutely cracking lead character, Riley, a rifle-toting twelve-year-old raised in a world where death is the norm.

Fast and full of gut-wrenching suspense, “Amongst the Dead” succeeds because, amid the glorious carnage (and trust me, there’s plenty), it manages to move you. And that's a big complement - as that element seems to be sadl
Russell James
Amongst the Dead follows the journey of pre-teen Riley as she tries to survive the insane aftermath of the zombie apocalypse in upstate New York.

In David Bernstein’s world, it is hard to decide which is more frightening, the mindless terror of the zombie domain, or the calculated evil of the niche carved out by the survivors. The collapse of society leaves humanity at its collective worst. The sick, symbiotic relationship between a biker gang and the Sisterhood of Life is truly terrifying.

Riley
A.E.
Author Bernstein has another hit on his hands with "Amongst the Dead," a tale of zombie survival with a tough-as-nails but also vulnerable twelve year-old girl, Riley, who finds herself against the undead and in a fight for her life, but there's also some very neat world-building elements here, and that "unique" factor that sets the author's books apart from similar ones in the genre. Even if you're not a huge fan of zombie novels, the powerful storytelling will keep you turning the pages.
Hunter Shea
Amongst the dead has single handedly revived the zombie genre! David Bernstein gives us things we've never seen before, all of it centered around Riley, a 12 year old girl who is one of the best characters I've come across in years. Viewing the end of the world through her eyes is amazing, as are the situations she finds herself falling into. This is one tough kid in a brutal, unpredictable world. A fantastic read.
Toxic Graveyard
Amongst the Dead begins amid a zombie outbreak (duh) that has been well under way for months if not years. Our main character is a 12 year old girl who lives with her dad in an abandoned log cabin in the woods. The dad gets infected and then she has to face a vicious world all on her own.

Amongst the Dead is a short (196 pgs) fast read that I didn’t want to put down. The perspective of the little girl isn’t obnoxious, just honest and hard boiled in a world gone wrong. Cults, rapists, and zombies
Faye, la Patata
Can be read on The Social Potato.

I'm sure you guys are already sick of me saying this over and over and over again, but let me just say this once more for the mere heck of it: I love zombies. Well, I don't really love them in, you know, that manner, but I absolutely love reading survival stories in a zombie-infested world. There's nothing better than watching characters try to survive a world full of flesh-eating abominations. I don't like anarchy, but I love reading about them. The image of no
Matthew Baker
I’ve said this before, but truly unique zombie stories seem to be few and far between these days. I’m not sure why, but it seems like many authors are content with rehashing the same genre staples over and over again. For this reason, those few original zombie books that I’ve run across hold a special place of honor in my literary collection. AMONGST THE DEAD, the newest release from author David Bernstein, now joins that prestigious list. This book is a fresh and inviting entry into the zombie ...more
Tim McWhorter
Great thriller about kicking zombie ass. This was my first David Bernstein and I liked it immensely. The only thing that kept me from giving it 5 stars was the protagonist's POV. For a 13 year old girl, she thinks like someone considerably more advanced in age. A little too intelligent, a little too experienced, actions a little too tactical. Still, it was a fun and gripping read and I would definitely recommend it.
Mick Ridgewell
David Bernstein has put the fun back into zombies. With a 12 year old girl, Riley as his kick-ass, gun toting hero this story zips along at a pace that will keep you glued to your chair. Riley is a character that I hope to see again in future books. If you like zombies, this is a must read.
Dave
A really great read! Fast paced, intense, and fun!
Cambria
survivalists, zombies, biker gang dudes (without the bikes), zombies who can track by smell, so many attempted rapes (we get it, in the event of a zombie apocalypse all men will become rapists) weird cult of blind women who believe they must re-populate the world. Children with numbers on their neck. Scientists involved.

There, saved you the trouble of reading this book.
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Kara Lyons
Kara Lyons marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Adrian
Adrian marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Kelly Mcleod
Kelly Mcleod marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
S.A. Gibson
S.A. Gibson marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Tina Albertson
Tina Albertson marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Hhkk Jui
Hhkk Jui marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Janene
Janene marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Rez
Rez marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Free Books, .99 &...: Zombie giveaway!!!!!!!!!! 5 96 Nov 30, 2012 08:35PM
  • Chocolate-Covered Baloney (Confessions of April Grace #3)
  • The Believing Game
  • Permanent Record
  • Age of the Dead (Rise, #2)
  • Strangelets
  • Oath of Servitude (The Punishment Sequence # 1)
  • Escape Theory (Keaton School, #1)
  • Taking on the Dead (The Famished Trilogy, #1)
  • Voyage of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #1)
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • Reckless Hearts (Wicked Games, #2)
  • The Last Infection
  • The Night Everything Changed
  • State of Decay (Revivors, #1)
  • The Lamplighters