Start by marking “Armadillo” as Want to Read:

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  1,560 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Lorimer Black ist erfolgreicher Schadensregulierer bei einer Versicherung in London. Sein Auftrag: Die Schadensfälle seiner Versicherung stets zu deren Gunsten zu regeln. Sein Traum: Die Sicherheit eines glücklichen Privatlebens. Sein Schicksal: Er wird zum perfekten Werkzeug der dunklen Mächte, für die nur eines zählt: GELD!

Seit Lorimer bei einem Geschäftstermin einen Erh
Published 1998 by Hanser

Oct 19, 2007 Melody rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melody by: Bryan Johnson
A loss adjuster with an insurance company, who goes by Lorimer Black but whoes birth name is Milomre Blocj, discovers his world is coming apart and he is not quite sure why. His car is torched, his job is threatened, his father dies, he is saddled with a horrible house guest, he can't sleep and the woman who he falls in love with (and who is being abused by her husband) insists that she is not interested in him and demands that he leave her alone. He collects ancient Greek helments (I think this ...more
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Contemporary London satire read by Stephen Critchlow
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in December 2001.

The world of insurance is not really a very exciting one, but Boyd has managed to make it so in his novel about fraud and pretence. It concentrates on the profession which clearly has the greatest propensity for drama within the field, the insurance adjuster (who checks whether big claims that worry insurance companies are valid - leading here to suicides, death threats and assaults).

The central character is Lorimer Black, who starts the nove
Penny Reinecke
I loved this book. Lorimar slowly descends into his sleepless satirical black hole of a nightmare that had become his life. He takes it all in as if it is somehow not really happening and he's standing apart from it, as if wading through a sluggish dream, half asleep half awake, any minute expecting to wake up and all will be well.

It starts with the torching of a building. His car is torched. He organises his brother to arrange the torching of another car. The supermarket is torched and finally
Any book that makes me imagine Daniel Craig as the protagonist has to be good. Our hero is a loss adjuster for the insurance industry but still dapper, gorgeous, mysterious, tidy -- and heterosexual! He has a secret past and a double life AND a sleep disorder. While the nonstop action is what really drives the plot, this book is strangely moving (despite the subject matter). Lots of British detail and slice-of-life info.
Just discovered a group of fabulous British authors. This book is so well written with a Vonnegust-esque sense of humor but more action. A great read!

I love William Boyd. This book was quirky, I liked it.
Ian Mapp
Not at all sure about this.... if it wasnt boyd, I think I would have either given up or perhaps not continued to seek him out.

Unlike the other two that I have read, this failed to engage me properly and I struggled to find its meaning and definitely failed to find the humour that was so promised by the words on the back.

It tells the story of Lorimer Black, who works in insurance as a loss adjuster. On the start of one of his days, he finds one of his claimee hung. A job of a loss adjuster is ma
I found this to be completely delightful. Lorimer Black, who is a bit of a head case and a total stalker, is someone I would surely go out of my way to avoid in real life, but on the page, I loved him and rooted for him every step of the way. Well, mostly every step. The stalking was creepy, even though he thought he was being sweet. I loved all the ridiculous stuff that kept happening to him; by the end, I was laughing out loud as things got more and more crazy. Torquil and Hogg (and their vari ...more
Kiera Healy
This was a rather enjoyable darkly satirical novel that reminded me a lot of Boyd's earlier work, A Good Man in Africa. It tells the story of Lorimer Black, an insurance loss adjuster in London. His job is to investigate claims made by clients, with a view to lowering them. The novel opens with his discovery of a client who has hanged himself. Subsequently, his life seems to spiral out of control.

Most of the various areas of Lorimer's life are well-drawn. His family, recently descended from East
Armadillo is the story of Lorimer a.k.a. Milo, an insomniac loss adjuster with a personality crisis and an obsession with collecting antique helmets who simultaneously falls in love with an actress glimpsed briefly in a taxi and becomes inadvertently embroiled in an elaborate fraud perpetrated by his own company. There's a straightforward narrative and a parallel set of excerpts from Lorimer's journal which provide a commentary on the action.

I chose to read this book after reading two of Boyd's
Mark Speed
This novel received mixed reviews. It's a while since I read it, so I can't recall it in great detail. However, I do remember that I enjoyed it, and that the author had managed to suspend disbelief, put believable characters into an interesting situation and make it a compelling read. I do think you need to have a basic like and understanding of dark humour to enjoy a novel of this ilk. If that's not your thing, then you might struggle.
Brian Boyle
I generally love Boyd's writing, but this is one novel that I did not enjoy. Since his books tend to revolve around a single main character, it rather depends whether you care what happens to that character. In this case, I really struggled to care. I also find this novel, with a contemporary (2000) setting, has dated much more than many of his other novels, with a largely historical setting.
I can't understand how people can't find this book fascinating, for all its variations in style. Boyd usually writes fairly conventional narratives, but for once he has experimented with a whole host of faintly interwoven story lines, and it works. The confused identity and experiences of Lorimer Black are like an essay in itself, and the way he navigates through all the pitfalls - the hanging incident, the trashing of his car, the plight of his landlady - make him out a faintly heroic figure. H ...more
Large print editions are go! Spoiler alert, this essentially serious love story / thriller / crime caper may make you laugh out loud. Some do, some don't, it's like sleep, another topic gone into by William Boyd here. This novel also features the 'outsider/spy/lost soul' type so dear to fiction and non fiction churner-outers alike. Yes, David Thomas, I'm looking at you (and Albert Camus of course.)
A rather uneventful and disappointing novel, in which nothing really happens. There are many long, dull descriptions of the path through London that the character takes, merely telling you which roads he took, if this was a film you'd be bored stiff, and it's only Boyd's writing skill that remotely saves this from being unreadable.
Not sure about this book. I enjoyed the main plot which is quite intricate and well-thought out. However, there is lots of detail about journeys through London and about aspects of dress, neither of which really meant anything to me so I think I might have missed out on some of the deeper meaning.
Judy Fowler
I now know that this is what I've missed-I don't just want a story-I want to engage with the characters. I have enjoyed the 'winter warmer' book collection but I don't think you can beat the sensation of wanting to cry out 'don't do it!and the warmth and humour when they do.
Boring once you leave the introduction, not picking up again until more than 2/3 of the way through, Armadillo is the Fremdschämen-filled story of a stalker who finds his stalking justified, supported be an unlikeable cast of one-dimensional characters (who are sometimes completely indistinguishable from one another, especially in the case of the female members of his family).
How can an author I like write a book that I hate so much? Ugh, I have read 5-6 Boyd books and liked them all until I read this one. Awful. Boring.
Alexandra Brown
The 3rd book written by William Boyd that I read and I loved it. Humourous story with unusual twists and turns and a lovable main character.
Mid 2. Lorimar Black, of East European extraction but who has changed his name to be able to achieve success in London society, is a high-flying loss adjustor in an insurance company in the City. However, when one of his cases commits suicide, he is suddenly thrust into the seamy underworld of the capital, as Boyd's novel becomes a mix of comedy and thriller. This book is undoubtedly humorous in places but this tale of one man's inglorious attempts to climb the social ladder and his attempts to ...more
Quite enjoyable with interesting characters and a bit of insight into the world of insurance liss adjustment. Slightly unfinished feeling - none of the characters were fully resolved.
John Bateman
Apr 12, 2007 John Bateman rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Martin Amis fans
Pretty good story. William Boyd is only slightly pretentious in his writing such as when he writes of Lorimer's appearance as a recording studio floor manager complete with stubble, or when he spends a few pages talking to his tailor about the accessories that make the well-dressed English chap.

Necessary for the story, perhaps, as Lorimer invents his own life to his own ideal, but the only bad part, and it's not really "bad".

The character Hogg is great, as is Lorimer's brother. The whole family
Lorimer ist ein etwas kaputter Typ, dem ein paar blöde Dinge passieren aber auch ein Glücksgriff: er trifft seine Traumfrau, die sogar bereits ist sich auf ein Date mit ihm zu treffen. Verheiratet bleibt sie trotzdem, und so bleibt der Weg zum Happy-End steinig und hart. Aber dies hier ist keine Liebesgeschichte, sondern eher ein Einblick in ein paar Wochen eines leicht einsamen Schadenregulierers mit bessarabischer Familie, langweiliger Geliebte und neuer Traumfrau (plus eifersüchtigen Ehemann) ...more
Susan Ross
I enjoyed it as an easy, engaging tale. I won't describe it as 'comedic' despite what the blurb suggests.
Richard Novak
I liked this book. Found it in a reference somewhere about that one should not wear brown shoes.
Chris Maxwell
I like William Boyd but, for me, this wasn't one of his best. It was just too surreal, too murky, the characters too unpleasant, and it took too long to gather momentum in terms of plot.

It would be unfair to say it wasn't well written or didn't conclude effectively, but if this was his usual style I wouldn't be a fan. I had to force myself through the first hundred pages because it took that long to become coherent for me.

I did enjoy the discussion on sleep disorders, particularly the conclusi
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Wacky, confusing, funny and tragic - how can a mystery about a loss assessment investigator be all of these? Lorimer has a very, very deep secret, and presents a British upper class persona to the world. How far will he go to protect that secret and betray his being? He can't help but dig himself deeper and deeper into complicated situations from which there will be no escape. Don't know how I found this British page-turner, but glad I did. Would love to see the BBC three episode television adap ...more
An enjoyable enough book about modern day Londoners that lacks any truly unique style or particularly exciting, enchanting characters. One of the tough things about building a book around a mild-mannered hero is that he rarely comes off as truly interesting. The book moves nicely and is easy to read, but it feels like a snack, ultimately, and you can't help feeling, even after the climax that leads Lorimer to pursue a less "safe" existence, that his life will still ultimately be a bit of a let-d ...more
  • Death, Snow, and Mistletoe (Tori Miracle, #4)
  • Rights of Man, Common Sense and Other Political Writings
  • The Mimic Men
  • Vintage Stuff
  • The Frightened Man (Denton, #1)
  • The Half Life of Stars
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Minutes of the Lazarus Club
  • The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1)
  • Chalcot Crescent
  • Osprey Island
  • Remainder
  • White Man Falling
  • Time Management for System Administrators
Of Scottish descent, Boyd was born in Accra, Ghana on 7th March, 1952 and spent much of his early life there and in Nigeria where his mother was a teacher and his father, a doctor. Boyd was in Nigeria during the Biafran War, the brutal secessionist conflict which ran from 1967 to 1970 and it had a profound effect on him.

At the age of nine years he attended Gordonstoun school, in Moray, Scotland an
More about William Boyd...
Restless Any Human Heart Waiting for Sunrise Ordinary Thunderstorms Brazzaville Beach

“It was like picking a scab off a sore; he actually wanted scar tissue - it would be quite wrong to try and forget, to blank it all out. Every fraught memory that lurked here had played its role: everything he was today was an indirect result of the life he had led then. It confirmed the rightness of every step he had taken.” 3 likes
“Loss adjusters are noble men who frustrate and negate the bland promises of insurance. We act out of the great unbending principles in life: nothing is sure, nothing is certain, nothing is free, nothing is forever. It is a noble calling.” 2 likes