Start by marking “Der Fluch der bösen Tat/ A Restless Evil (Mitchell and Markby Village, #14)” as Want to Read:
Der Fluch der bösen Tat/ A Restless Evil (Mitchell and Markby Village, #14)

Der Fluch der bösen Tat/ A Restless Evil (Mitchell and Markby #14)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The officer on duty at Bamford police station is skeptical when he takes a call from Guy Morgan. Morgan claims to have stumbled upon human bones in Stovey Woods in the heart of the Cotswalds, but surely animal bones are more likely? Morgan, though, is a doctor as well as a hiker, and he knows exactly what he's found.

It sends a shiver down Detective Alan Markby's spine when
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Der Fluch der bösen Tat/ A Restless Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Fluch der bösen Tat/ A Restless Evil

Joanne
Shirley Schwartz
I usually love Mitchell and Markby stories, but this book is not Ms. Granger's best in this series. In this book Meredith and Alan are house hunting, and they end up in a pokey little village called Upper Stovey. Not much goes on in this backward little village, but while they are there someone discovers human bones in Stovey Woods. Markby has been in Upper Stovey before. Twenty-two years ago he was hunting a serial rapist who was nicknamed The Potato Man. They did not find the perpetrator then, ...more
Good for long commutes--I really enjoy the audio versions of the Mitchell/Markby series.
Kirsty Darbyshire

Unsurprisingly I thought this was another enjoyable book from Ann Granger. This series is getting long but it's not getting boring or predictable. Though Granger does tend to stay with much the same kind of format for the stories they are all individual enough to make them interesting reads.

In this book Alan and Meredith are house hunting in the dead end village of Lower Stovey when Meredith comes across a dead body (I've got to the point with this series where I no longer worry about realism a

Gerry
A 22-year-old brutal serial rape case was unresolved in the Cotswold village of Lower Stovey. Alan Markby investigated at the time and was disappointed not to end up with a conviction. But 22 years on he, now Detective Superintendent Alan Markby, and his girlfriend Meredith Mitchell were looking at property in the village when, coincidentally of course, a murder took place in the local church and in addition some human bones were found in Stovey Woods, the scene of the multiple rapes of years ag ...more
Gary Van Cott
I thought the previous two books in this series were better than many that had preceded them. However, this one was back to the "just ok" mode. The next book is the final one in the series. I hope it will be better.
Susan
Alan Markby has always been disturbed by his failure, as a young detective, to find the rapist known as the Potato Man. Now bones have been discovered in the woods that were the Potato Man's haunt. Could they be a victim, or did the rapes stop with the Potato Man's death? Then a harmless newcomer to the village nearby is killed. Alan's fiancee, Meredith Mitchell, talks to the victim's friend, and gradually learns enough about the relationships in the village to endanger her. Topflight British co ...more
Carol Peace
A very enjoyable mystery, when bones are found in Stovey woods and old case resurfaces. Who do the bones belong to and are they connected to the rape cases 22years ago. The rapist went to ground after the fifth rape and the case was unsolved. The finding of the bones sets the police thinking they have to be the reason. They are then confronted with another body and it is a murder and in the church. Who is the murderer and why. The outcome is very good and in some ways unexpected. Good book.
Carmen
this book was highly entertaining. The subplot is house hunting, and I have done my share of that, so I enjoyed it. They were able to solve a 30 year old rapist case and a death. Don't we all wish these old cases could be solved?
Julie
yet another great entry in the series. sadly this is next to last. i have only one more mitchell and markby mystery to read. i hope granger will come back to this series.
Mary
Very good novel for the genre, cozy English police procedural in a series which has maintained its quality over the years.

Michael
kept my interest right through to the end.what more can you ask for from a book.a good read.
Margaret
First one by this Author. Not my usual read but it was good.
Made a change and an easy read.
Andrea Sachs
My first Ann Granger mystery, but not my last. I like her writing.
Bettie☯
Ekki2609
Ekki2609 marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Loisa
Loisa marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Marloes
Marloes marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Kirsteen Dickson
Kirsteen Dickson marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Karschtl
Karschtl marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Yellow Iris: A Short Story (Hercule Poirot)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #10)
  • Passing Strange (Inspector Sloan #9)
  • Naakte zielen
  • Murder in the Rue de Paradis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #8)
  • The Tarnished Chalice (Matthew Bartholomew, #12)
  • The Orkney Scroll (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #10)
  • Gallowglass (Douglas Brodie, #4)
  • Stealing People
  • Snared
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • The Wrong Girl
  • A Small Weeping
  • Rumpole and the Reign of Terror
  • Only the Brave (DS Allie Shenton #3)
  • Long Way Home
  • Gone to Ground (Will Grayson and Helen Walker, #1)
Ann Granger has worked in British embassies in various parts of the world. She met her husband, who was also working for the British Embassy, in Prague and together they received postings to places as far apart as Munich and Lusaka. They are now permanently based in Oxfordshire.

Her first novels were historical romances published under the nom de plume Ann Hulme.
More about Ann Granger...

Mitchell and Markby (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1)
  • A Season for Murder (Mitchell and Markby Village, #2)
  • Cold in the Earth (Mitchell and Markby Village, #3)
  • Murder Among Us (Mitchell and Markby Village, #4)
  • Where Old Bones Lie (Mitchell and Markby Village, #5)
  • A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)
  • Flowers for His Funeral (Mitchell and Markby Village, #7)
  • Candle for a Corpse (Mitchell and Markby Village, #8)
  • A Touch of Mortality (Mitchell and Markby Village, #9)
  • A Word After Dying (Mitchell and Markby, #10)
Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1) The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1) A Mortal Curiosity (Lizzie Martin, #2) A Season for Murder (Mitchell and Markby Village, #2) Murder Among Us (Mitchell and Markby Village, #4)