Start by marking “Der Fluch der bösen Tat/ A Restless Evil (Mitchell and Markby Village, #14)” as Want to Read:
Der Fluch der bösen Tat/ A Restless Evil (Mitchell and Markby Village, #14)

Der Fluch der bösen Tat/ A Restless Evil (Mitchell and Markby #14)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The officer on duty at Bamford police station is skeptical when he takes a call from Guy Morgan. Morgan claims to have stumbled upon human bones in Stovey Woods in the heart of the Cotswalds, but surely animal bones are more likely? Morgan, though, is a doctor as well as a hiker, and he knows exactly what he's found.

It sends a shiver down Detective Alan Markby's spine when
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Der Fluch der bösen Tat/ A Restless Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Fluch der bösen Tat/ A Restless Evil

Shirley Schwartz
I usually love Mitchell and Markby stories, but this book is not Ms. Granger's best in this series. In this book Meredith and Alan are house hunting, and they end up in a pokey little village called Upper Stovey. Not much goes on in this backward little village, but while they are there someone discovers human bones in Stovey Woods. Markby has been in Upper Stovey before. Twenty-two years ago he was hunting a serial rapist who was nicknamed The Potato Man. They did not find the perpetrator then, ...more
Good for long commutes--I really enjoy the audio versions of the Mitchell/Markby series.
Kirsty Darbyshire

Unsurprisingly I thought this was another enjoyable book from Ann Granger. This series is getting long but it's not getting boring or predictable. Though Granger does tend to stay with much the same kind of format for the stories they are all individual enough to make them interesting reads.

In this book Alan and Meredith are house hunting in the dead end village of Lower Stovey when Meredith comes across a dead body (I've got to the point with this series where I no longer worry about realism a

Gerry
A 22-year-old brutal serial rape case was unresolved in the Cotswold village of Lower Stovey. Alan Markby investigated at the time and was disappointed not to end up with a conviction. But 22 years on he, now Detective Superintendent Alan Markby, and his girlfriend Meredith Mitchell were looking at property in the village when, coincidentally of course, a murder took place in the local church and in addition some human bones were found in Stovey Woods, the scene of the multiple rapes of years ag ...more
Gary Van Cott
I thought the previous two books in this series were better than many that had preceded them. However, this one was back to the "just ok" mode. The next book is the final one in the series. I hope it will be better.
Susan
Alan Markby has always been disturbed by his failure, as a young detective, to find the rapist known as the Potato Man. Now bones have been discovered in the woods that were the Potato Man's haunt. Could they be a victim, or did the rapes stop with the Potato Man's death? Then a harmless newcomer to the village nearby is killed. Alan's fiancee, Meredith Mitchell, talks to the victim's friend, and gradually learns enough about the relationships in the village to endanger her. Topflight British co ...more
Carol Peace
A very enjoyable mystery, when bones are found in Stovey woods and old case resurfaces. Who do the bones belong to and are they connected to the rape cases 22years ago. The rapist went to ground after the fifth rape and the case was unsolved. The finding of the bones sets the police thinking they have to be the reason. They are then confronted with another body and it is a murder and in the church. Who is the murderer and why. The outcome is very good and in some ways unexpected. Good book.
Carmen
this book was highly entertaining. The subplot is house hunting, and I have done my share of that, so I enjoyed it. They were able to solve a 30 year old rapist case and a death. Don't we all wish these old cases could be solved?
Julie
yet another great entry in the series. sadly this is next to last. i have only one more mitchell and markby mystery to read. i hope granger will come back to this series.
Mary
Very good novel for the genre, cozy English police procedural in a series which has maintained its quality over the years.

Michael
kept my interest right through to the end.what more can you ask for from a book.a good read.
Margaret
First one by this Author. Not my usual read but it was good.
Made a change and an easy read.
Andrea Sachs
My first Ann Granger mystery, but not my last. I like her writing.
☯Bettie☯
Thomas
Thomas added it
Dec 16, 2014
Shirley Stenerson
Shirley Stenerson marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Donna
Donna added it
Nov 04, 2014
Katie Williams
Katie Williams marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Pet
Pet marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
  • The Triangle at Rhodes: A Hercule Poirot Mystery
  • A Small Weeping
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #6)
  • Pilgrim Soul (Douglas Brodie, #3 / Danny McRae, #3)
  • Murder in the Rue de Paradis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #8)
  • Gone to Ground (Will Grayson and Helen Walker, #1)
  • The Tarnished Chalice (Matthew Bartholomew, #12)
  • The Orkney Scroll (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #10)
  • Holy Disorders (Gervase Fen, #2)
  • Bad Blood
  • Pop Goes the Weasel (Helen Grace,#2).
  • Kissed a Sad Goodbye (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #6)
  • Die Schwalbe, die Katze, die Rose und der Tod (Inspector Van Veeteren #9)
  • To Dream of the Dead (Merrily Watkins, #10)
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Rumpole and the Reign of Terror
  • A Walk Through the Fire (Sharon McCone, #20)
Ann Granger has worked in British embassies in various parts of the world. She met her husband, who was also working for the British Embassy, in Prague and together they received postings to places as far apart as Munich and Lusaka. They are now permanently based in Oxfordshire.

Her first novels were historical romances published under the nom de plume Ann Hulme.
More about Ann Granger...
Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1) The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1) A Season for Murder (Mitchell and Markby Village, #2) A Mortal Curiosity (Lizzie Martin, #2) Murder Among Us (Mitchell and Markby Village, #4)