Writing With A Heavy Heart: Using Grief and Loss to Stretch Your Fiction

Writing With A Heavy Heart: Using Grief and Loss to Stretch Your Fiction

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"Jaden's Writing With A Heavy Heart is a must-have for any writer's craft shelf. The combination of clear guidance and practical exercises allow writers to take their manuscripts to a deeper level."
- Eileen Cook Author of Unraveling Isobel and The Almost Truth

In her first non-fiction mini-book, Denise Jaden explores the stages and outlets of grief and how to implement them...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Denise Jaden Books

To ask other readers questions about Writing With A Heavy Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing With A Heavy Heart

Brook Hamby Lohmeier
I have wanted this book for some time and then got it as an audio book through audible. I am now hooked and want my own hard copy of the book. I loved how the book went through the uses of grief in writing. I had never really thought about how grief affects characters. Looking back I think that the lack of good development of grief is why there have been books and movies that I have found unrealistic.

I agree with Denise that you need to feel for the character before you can instantly care about...more
Jessica (j*&p*)
I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone writing about a grieving character. Denise's book is filled not only with information on the process of grieving, but also exercises and tips for using that knowledge to create authentic, engaging characters dealing with the loss.
Eileen
If you're looking how to take your writing to a deeper level this is a book for you. It's full of practical suggestions and clear examples that guide the reader through the concepts and how they can implement those ideas into their own writing.
Elle Strauss
"Writing With A Heavy Heart has a lot of really good insights on grief and suggestions on how to incorporate them to fiction."

- Lee Strauss,

author of The Perception Series
Cindy Callaghan
Jaden's Writing with a Heavy Heart helped me add layers to my characters who experience loss. The tools provided in this piece make it practical in my writing projects.

Meagan
Super helpful ways of looking at grief, and how to handle it with writing. Definitely worth the money.
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Tracy Bilen
Tracy Bilen marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Jodie
Jodie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
J.M.
J.M. marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Diane
Diane added it
May 12, 2014
Jamie Ann
Jamie Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Tylisa Lumpkin
Tylisa Lumpkin marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Alaska
Alaska marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
amy y
amy y marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Susan Quinn
Susan Quinn marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Bre
Bre marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
t.A
t.A marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Nimra Aijaz
Nimra Aijaz marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Jennifer Mirea Sawaki
Jennifer Mirea Sawaki marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2013
Lazharae Hall
Lazharae Hall marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
2919206
Denise Jaden enjoys writing craft books for writers and fiction for young adults.

Her first novel for teens, LOSING FAITH, was released from Simon Pulse, fall 2010. The first draft was written in 21 days during NaNoWriMo. NEVER ENOUGH, her second novel, was released July 10, 2012. A companion group of stories--NEVER ENOUGH STORIES is available for free at Smashwords.com. WRITING WITH A HEAVY HEART:...more
More about Denise Jaden...
Never Enough Losing Faith Fast Fiction: A Guide to Outlining and Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days Never Enough Stories Foreign Exchange