Start by marking “Jacks and Queens at the Green Mill (The Shadow Society #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Jacks and Queens at the Green Mill (The Shadow Society #0.5)

Jacks and Queens at the Green Mill (The Shadow Society .5)

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  128 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Few know that the Great Chicago Fire was started deliberately, as a genocide of deadly creatures called Shades. Fewer still know that they didn't die, not quite...but one human will confront the truth when an ominous beauty makes him gamble for his life.
Published October 16th 2012 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Jacks and Queens at the Green Mill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jacks and Queens at the Green Mill

Gavin
Jun 20, 2014 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books
This was a tiny novella from Marie Rutkoski's The Shadow Society series. In a short space of time it introduced us to a very unique and intriguing alternate 1920s Chicago. A Chicago of hidden wars, Shades, and parallel universes. It also introduced us to two very interesting characters in the burnt gangster Joe and the Shade Zephyr. I was totally sucked into the story and would definitely like to read the main series after reading this novella.

Rating: 4.5 stars.
Kayla Sunshine Spencer
Just a little novella not gonna bother rating it just came with the book itself.
Nadine Jones
This was a pleasant 5 minute diversion that I read for free on tor.com. Although I knew it was short, I was still annoyed that it was short. Nothing really happened. It very much felt like a fanfic fragment - an interesting interchange happening in someone else's world.

I originally gave this 2 stars, back when I first read it in Oct 2012, but now (May 2014) I re-read it while I'm in the middle of The Shadow Society, and it all makes more sense, and really
Rebecca Wash
Jul 20, 2015 Rebecca Wash rated it really liked it
A great short story to read before The Shadow Society. Taking place in 1920's Chicago. Marie Rutkoski's writing is always beautiful and flawless and this story is no exception.
Trisha
Mar 12, 2015 Trisha rated it liked it
wow, that was short.
but it was interesting to get inside Zephyr's head.
Rebecca
Jan 25, 2016 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Meet Zephyr. She's a Shade. A seemingly evil species thought to have been eradicated during the mass genocide years ago. But Zephyr is very much alive, in an undead sort of way, and can take human form whenever she enters the human world. Zephyr resides in Alter, another world where the Shade's are still able to survive, and she needs a gun.

As she takes human form in a Jazz club, she encounters Joe, a human bodyguard with just the gun she needs. But Joe isn't just any human, he knows what Zephyr
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
First, that "cover" illustration is just gorgeous, brilliant, and so significant. And I loved getting this peek at Zephyr, at what may have been the moment that she decided she didn't want to wage war on the humans like most of her fellow Shades. All because of a scarred boy she met in the Alter.

I just finished buddy reading The Shadow Society with Kristen and I think we're both in agreement that this author's writing is just made for readers like us. I wish I had something else to read from her
Stuti T
Jan 23, 2015 Stuti T rated it really liked it
One of those wish-it-were-longer shorts.
Caroline
Dec 23, 2015 Caroline rated it really liked it
This short world building tie-in was included at the back of The Shadow Society paperback. My only regret is that it isn't long enough! I loved the Shadow Society book and it's world, I wanted it to actually become a series... (Funny because one of the reasons I picked up the book was because it's a standalone...)
This short story gives us just a glimpse of what-could-have-been, at other diverse stories within this universe. I'd like to read a whole collection of these. Too short, but an interest
Toussaint Egan
On October 8th, 1874, in an alternate universe, the people of Chicago orchestrated the mass extinction of a race of amorphous creatures known as the “Shade.” This genocide was disguised under the pretense of a massive firestorm that near burnt the entire city to cinders, the so-called “Great Chicago Fire.” But this was not the end of the shadow war, as another alternate universe of Shades immediately felt the excruciating absence of an aspect of themselves; a sort of “phantom-limb” sensation of ...more
faeriemyst
This would have been a solid four if had just been a page or two longer, otherwise it's a 3.5 star read. The concept is intriguing and now that I know there's a book, I'll definitely pick it up. Even with its length, the ambiance makes the story come alive.
Rikke
Aug 14, 2015 Rikke rated it really liked it
The Shadow Society prequel was gorgeous! and so very compelling! I have been wanting to read TSS sometime this Summer, but having read Jacks and Queens and the Green Mill, I'll definitely have to read it sooner!

As I've already read The Winner's Curse; and The Winner's Crime, I really don't need an incentive for reading any of Rutkoski's books - if you haven't read said books, and if you like historical fantasy, I recommend that you do - and yet, JaQatGM Is not only an awesome short story, it's a
Taylor
Apr 18, 2014 Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook-books
I don't get the point of this short story, but it was pretty nice to see more of a side character we didn't really ever see.
Keyreads
Sep 24, 2014 Keyreads rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
This cover is amazing!! The story was a little too short for me, but still enjoyable.
Jessica T.
Sep 30, 2015 Jessica T. rated it liked it
Shelves: thesmallones
As a stand alone story this wasn't so great.... I'm sure if I'd read the books plus this it might have been more interesting.
Kirsty
May 03, 2015 Kirsty rated it really liked it
This made me really want to read the shadow society series now...
A.M.
Nov 12, 2012 A.M. rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own, e-books
This story is available free at Tor.com http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/10/ja...
It caught my eye because of the gold medal winning illustration, which is utterly beautiful, by the way.

A well written short story with good dialogue.

The doorman was intriguing and oddly perceptive. Lucky for humanity. Always interesting to think of alternate worlds and what each does or doesn't have. And if things can be taken from one world to another.
DAYvid Hewitt (the biblioflick buff)
A quick but fun read.
Hayley
Jan 22, 2015 Hayley rated it liked it
Shelves: own, ebooks, 2015
I did not realise this was a supplementary story for The Shadow Society, which I have not read. Whoops.
Carol
Jun 07, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This is a nice addition to The Shadow Society. We only saw Zephyr for one scene, if I remember correctly, and then was only mentioned in passing for the rest of the book. So, it was nice to understand her a little bit more and seeing her interact with a human.
Edith
Apr 20, 2016 Edith rated it really liked it

I'm always happy when I get to know more of the characters of the shadow society!
Elevetha
2.5 stars.

Maybe it'd help with the confusion factor if I read The Shadow Society. Yeah, probably. Still, nice writing but nothing spectacular and not enough length and meat to the story to make me terribly intrigued.
Jacoline Maes
Feb 03, 2016 Jacoline Maes rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-na
Dit was van de novella's die ik had liggen degene die me het minste aansprak, maar nu ik hem gelezen heb is het een van mijn favorieten. De sfeer was geweldig het verhaal pakkend en de schrijfstijl mooi. En ondanks dat het kort was irriteerde het me niet, al zou ik graag meer lezen. Ik geef deze novella 4,75 sterren.
Amanda
Aug 15, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
I know this is just a short scenario between a shade and a human. However, I really enjoyed it. I do hope Marie Rutkoski writes more stories. She is so talented.
Beth
Oct 30, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorts
An intriguing short story.
the golden witch.
A great prequel to "The Shadow Society"! Still not enough for me, though. <3
sam
Apr 24, 2016 sam rated it really liked it
It drew me in, I may read the whole book after this story.
Tony
Oct 17, 2012 Tony rated it liked it
I loved the language and how I could visualize everything.
William L.
Aug 26, 2015 William L. rated it liked it
3.5
Stephanie
3/5 stars
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • Men Who Wish to Drown
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • Loch and Key (Incryptid, #0.08)
  • The Rain Is a Lie
  • Clean Slate Complex (Daynight, #1.5)
  • Stories from the Shadowlands (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3.1)
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • The Things that Make Me Weak and Strange Get Engineered Away
  • Happily Ever After (Girls to the Rescue #1)
  • Mother, Crone, Maiden
  • E-Time
  • Crescendo (Inola Walela/Steven Hawk Suspense Series, #3)
  • Going Dark (Blackout #0.5)
  • The Thieves' Opera
  • Christopher and Columbus
  • Earthquake Weather
Marie Rutkoski is the author of the YA novel The Shadow Society and the children's fantasy series The Kronos Chronicles, including The Cabinet of Wonders, The Celestial Globe and The Jewel of the Kalderash. Her next project is a YA trilogy that begins with The Winner's Curse, which is scheduled to be published in March 2014.

Marie grew up in Bolingbrook, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago), as the olde
More about Marie Rutkoski...

The Shadow Society (1 books)
  • The Shadow Society  (The Shadow Society #1)