Start by marking “The Weight of Souls” as Want to Read:
The Weight of Souls

The Weight of Souls

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  401 Ratings  ·  134 Reviews
Sixteen year old Taylor Oh is cursed: if she is touched by the ghost of a murder victim then they pass a mark beneath her skin. She has three weeks to find their murderer and pass the mark to them – letting justice take place and sending them into the Darkness. And if she doesn’t make it in time? The Darkness will come for her…

She spends her life trying to avoid ghosts, ma
Published August 6th 2013 by Strange Chemistry (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Weight of Souls, please sign up.

Elysia I wondered the same thing. The ending was sort of strange in that regard. I'm fine with things not being wrapped up neatly, as life doesn't tend to go…moreI wondered the same thing. The ending was sort of strange in that regard. I'm fine with things not being wrapped up neatly, as life doesn't tend to go that way, and sometimes it's good to leave the reader to make up their own minds about what's going on. But why end the book on some huge revelation that will never be explored? I can't find anything indicating that another book will be written, though. Hm.(less)
Undone by Cat ClarkeLegacy by C.J. DaughertyAcid by Emma PassGeek Girl by Holly SmaleDeadly to Love by Mia Hoddell
UK YA in 2013
35th out of 165 books — 328 voters
The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose ClarkeThe Pirate's Wish by Cassandra Rose ClarkeStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenThe Holders by Julianna ScottPantomime by Laura Lam
Strange Chemistry Titles
13th out of 37 books — 161 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (the Grinch)
Actual rating: 2.5

I have to admit, I had an ulterior motive in reading this book: I was hoping to get my fill of an awesome, kick-ass, take-no-prisoner Asian heroine. That was what initially attracted me to this book. The cover. It's a pretty cover. The heroine is obviously Asian, and the instance I saw it, I quite literally squeaked for joy. It wasn't a kawaii sound, but I digress.

Let's face it, multicultural characters in YA fiction...in Western fiction, period, is an absolute rarity. With the
The Holy Terror
YES. Asian protagonist. Asian model on the cover.

Thank you.

(Oh, and the synopsis sounds cool too.)

8/24 Edit: Need to write a real review ... but I really did like this one. Lots of cool stuff thrown in without it feeling too mish-mashy (probably not a word ... but whatevs.) I also liked that the protagonist is Chinese but it wasn't like OMG THIS CHARACTER IS ASIAN LOOK HOW ASIAN AND DIFFERENT SHE IS (thank you for not making her a martial arts expert as well.) She's just the main character and i
Aa'Ishah
The Weight of Souls took me by surprise. As good as it looks on the surface, I was not expecting the extra layers that came with it. Pearce brings to the table ghosts, bullying...a secret society and Egyptian mythology. What you see is not just what you get. There is a lot going on, yet it all comes together nicely to form a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Taylor Oh is cursed. Not only can she see the ghosts of murder victims, but when a ghost touches her, they leave a mark on her skin; she has three
♥ Sarah
Reading this book was an absolute ghastly experience.
The description of the book was cool.
But that was all I could tolerate.

I HATED THE REST:

#1 - Taylor was a social outcast at her school because of how strange she started acting after seeing a ghost for the first time when she was 10. I would've appreciated it more if she was always a social outcast, and somehow worked that to her advantage when it came down to mark-transference/ vengeance seeking time!

#2 - The lack of explanation behind why
Whitley Birks
Jul 25, 2013 Whitley Birks rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
See this review and more on Whitley Reads

A galley copy was provided free by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This books strongest advantage was in the basic concepts behind the premise, but unfortunately, the book didn’t fully take advantage of that. Taylor gets cursed by ghosts and has to pass on that curse to the murderers? Awesome! Tell me more about that! …or go to high school, yeah, that’s interesting, too.

What you get on the summary, that’s it. Oh, sure, we get the background
jo mo
come to my room, dead boy.

taylor oh is one in a long line of cursed oh descendants. she can see ghosts. if one such ghosts touches her skin, she has to avenge its death by tracking down the killer and transferring the 'mark'. and do it fast. because otherwise the darkness will come for her and take her life instead.

"anubis is meant to be the reason for all this. my ancestor was a member of an expedition of ... i suppose you'd call them tomb robbers. they found nefertiti's tomb but it wasn't empty."
[arc, 37%]
besides wo
Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}
There isn't really much going for this book other than the premise. Dude, how awesome is the idea of a girl cursed by ghosts to hunt murderers? For some reason though, Pearce thought it a better idea to make Taylor's social life the main point of the book instead of I don't know, her curse.

Brilliant, just brilliant. Yes, that's a perfect idea. Focus on high school, because obviously that's going to attract more YA readers who can't read books without a huge focus on high school.

While, sure we d
Chiara (delicate eternity)
A copy of this novel was provided for review via Net Galley on behalf of the publisher.

A good book! Hallelujah, hallelujah, halleeeeeelllluuuujjjaaaahhhhh.

I had been looking forward to The Weight of Souls ever since I saw a review for it on Tammy's blog Books, Bones & Buffy (like a year ago - I know SHAME ON ME for reading things so late but hey ... better late than never, right? RIGHT?). I trust her opinions on books, so I knew that I was probably going to like The Weight of Souls. Which I
Marie
Many thanks to Angry Robot/Strange Chemistry for the galley copy (via NetGalley). Quotes are taken from an advanced review copy and are subject to change before publication.

Sixteen-year-old Taylor Oh can see the ghosts of murdered people due to a generations-old curse passed down from her mother's side of the family. If a ghost touches her, she becomes marked, and she must transfer the mark to the killer responsible before the Darkness claims her. When all-around popular guy--and her personal to
Ornella (Nyx)
Jul 24, 2013 Ornella (Nyx) rated it really liked it
I hadn't been expecting to enjoy this book quite as much as I did. I thought the romance would be trite because of the who she was falling for, but this book has so much actually going for it.

First let's talk about the curse. The blurb doesn't really say much except the bare facts. I thought the explanation about the curse would be something along the lines of every other paranormal out there. But then almost right away you find out that the curse is quite literally a curse, put on my freaking A
Heather
I received a copy ARC: The Weight of Souls via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Ghosts, disturbing secret societies and Egyptian curses, oh my! Well I must say, the first chapter definitely got me hooked. The idea of murder making a mark and being able to pass it on is intriguing. Especially when you throw in a time limit.

Weight of Souls took place in London and was written from Taylor Oh's perspective.

The idea behind the curse was well done. Relatively simple but I don't like it whe
Michelle Blankenship
Jun 14, 2013 Michelle Blankenship rated it it was amazing
Bryony Pearce is about to take the YA and Urban Fantasy world by storm, after reading The Weight of Souls, I've added her to my list of favorite authors in these genre's where the likes of Charlaine Harris, Richelle Meade, and Stephanie Myer also reside.

This is a must read for anyone that enjoys a bit of fantasy mixed with reality. Bryony Pearce crafts a very believable world, and the characters come alive with every turn of the page. Especially Taylor Oh, the protagonist, she'll make you laugh
Sara Grant
Jul 02, 2013 Sara Grant rated it it was amazing
X-FILES meets SIXTH SENSE through a rollercoaster of twists, truths, dares, love and the ever after.
Amanda
Apr 11, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, strange-chemistry
A sharp, dark, funny YA novel, featuring a girl called Taylor Oh who suffers a dangerous curse.
Kristen
Aug 05, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it
This and other reviews on my blog My Friends Are Fiction

The Story:
I went into this book with little idea of the plot since I requested it with just a brief scan of the summary. For the most part, I really enjoyed The Weight of Souls. I found the pacing to be a great speed and was immediately drawn into the world that Pearce created and why Taylor was seeing ghosts . I was really surprised by how deep the story was and how it encompassed Egyptian myth. It was evident that the author researched
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

THE WEIGHT OF SOULS read like Gossip Girls with a paranormal twist- a high brow school in London, a mysterious club with secrets, and a girl with the ability to get vengeance for murder victims. What originally drew me in to THE WEIGHT OF SOULS was the striking cover, and what kept me hooked was action that started from page one, the mystery that Taylor has to solve and the sweet romance that develops throughout.

With Egyptian mythology and a heroine of
E. Anderson
Jul 24, 2013 E. Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This brand new book by Bryony Pearce has three of my favorite topics to read about:

1. Murder

2. Ghosts

3. Bullying

Does this make me dark? Or perhaps the author? Or are we looking at a story that looks at reality through the lens of paranormal fiction? I'd like to think it's the latter. And I think that this is one of the many things that makes THE WEIGHT OF SOULS brilliant.

Taylor Oh is a student who is the bottom of the totem pole at her London high school. She's picked on relentlessly by the cool
Kristen
Jul 24, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it
GENRE: Young Adult Urban Fantasy
THEME: Ghost, Romance, and Supernatural
RECEIVED: Publisher
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
A clever ghost story with an interesting take on an Egyptian curse, Pearce takes the readers on a scary but mysterious journey with a sixteen-year-old girl who has a big responsibility. Ghost may be scary but the darkness that takes the souls who have sinned is the thing everyone should be afraid of.

The Weight of Souls follows Taylor Oh a young teen who is livi
Mieneke
Nov 29, 2013 Mieneke rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2013
The ability to see or hear the dead and helping them move on, is of course not a new concept, just look at Ghost Whisperer or Tru Calling , which I still feel was cancelled before its time. However, the concept of 'help a murder victim catch their killer or die’ was a version I hadn't heard before. And while the story is a little more complicated than that concept makes it seem, it does sum up the reason that tension builds the further we get into the novel, as Taylor literally races against ...more
Nafiza
Jul 26, 2013 Nafiza rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, 2013
The Weight of Souls is an interesting look into the life of Taylor Oh who has an affinity for, and obligation to, the dead who stalk her. If ghosts who leave the world due to unnatural reasons, (like humans wielding axes), touch her, they transfer a mark onto her skin. If she cannot pass the mark on to the murderer within a limited time, the Darkness will come for her. So she spends her days treating her best friend like crap (because the best friend can’t know), being bullied by these jerks at ...more
Tien
Aug 08, 2013 Tien rated it really liked it
One of my favourite moments in life is when I’ve just read a book that exceeded my expectation. A book that is so engaging, that absorbed all your attention, that totally ruin everything else in the day for you, and that you can barely put down. Even better is a book you can devour in the one sitting. The Weight of Souls is one of those books for me. It was so easy to read with engaging characters and a pretty suspenseful plot; I was immediately immersed in the book and did not think of anything ...more
Leontii  Elijah Cristea
Aug 11, 2015 Leontii Elijah Cristea rated it really liked it
Shelves: recs-for-puppy
Originally posted at Jet Black Ink

Yet another Strange Chemistry title that proves the team of little robots (Angry Robot YA…!) are good at what they do, The Weight of Souls, by Bryony Pearce is a meaningful book that explores a handful of difficult themes without any extra baggage or heaviness that would—given the subject matter—make for a gloomy book. I don’t like gloom, so I was a teeny bit concerned that the book would be all death, death, death.

It’s not.

Taylor Oh is struggling at school. It’
Simona
Jul 29, 2013 Simona rated it really liked it
SOME SPOILERS AHEAD!

A new exciting book that Strange Chemistry brings to us at the beginning of August, The Weight of Souls by Bryony Pearce was a really interesting read.

We are introduced in the strange life of Taylor Oh, a girl who has a special ability: she can see dead people. Not only can she see ghosts but she can also interact with them which brings us to the main part that makes her life difficult: the curse. Passed from generation to generation, this ability of hers - the curse - comes
A Book Vacation
Jul 31, 2013 A Book Vacation rated it it was amazing
To see my full review:

This novel was phenomenal! I was enraptured from the very beginning, watching Taylor walk into the depths of a violent gang to pass on the mark, noting her vast courage and fortitude as she attempted to trap a killer. With her “them or me” mentality, drilled into her from a young age, Taylor runs the gauntlet of danger throughout this entire novel trying to stave off the Darkness, keeping it at bay one murdered soul at a time.

Enter Ju
Nicky Peacock
Jun 29, 2013 Nicky Peacock rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is such an interesting concept and really sets the start of an amazing YA series. The character of Taylor was written well, it was just like I remember school being and how I felt when when I was a teen - although I didn’t have to deal with ghosts and murderers (that I’ll admit to anyway!)

From a writer’s perspective, it was a little jumpy in places, although I’m assuming that was because I was reading an Advanced Reader Copy. It had an interesting murder mystery ru
Jay
Aug 01, 2015 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A HUGE THANKYOU TO NETGALLEY & THE PUBLISHERS (ANGRY ROBOT Ltd/Strange Chemistry) FOR THIS ARC!!

WOW! I wasn't expecting to be blown away by this book, thought it would be good, but turns out it was brilliant!

It's not full of death & the dead as you might expect. More than anything it focuses on wanting to be accepted for who & what you are, & how as a teen you're willing to do anything to fit in. at school it's the popular kids Vs the "freaks", at home your parents have expectati
Nayab
Jul 18, 2013 Nayab rated it it was amazing
The people over at Strange Chemistry sure know how to choose their authors and Bryony Pearce proves that with her newest book The Weight of Souls.

It grips you from the first page… I’ve never used the word nor put much stock in any book that gets dubbed as a page-turner namely because it always feels like a set-up to me, like the book is trying too hard to appeal to readers, which is why I can’t believe what I’m going to say next. This book was a page-turner. No doubt about it.

I would start read
Tina
Aug 08, 2013 Tina rated it liked it
2.75-3 Stars!

I was originally going to give this book two stars because I didn't like it in the beginning, but the last 25% was good enough to encourage me to give it 3 instead. I was really hoping to love the story because it had an Asian protagonist, but the story was just okay for me. Just to warn you now, I will be listing mostly cons.

Taylor. For about 75% of the book, I didn't find her character too likable (for me personally). She seems like your stereotypical angst teenager (though I can
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
Since I wasn't familiar with author Bryony Pearce, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from The Weight of Souls. But any expectations I may have had were far exceeded. The story was intense, occasionally unnerving, and contained a mystery that genuinely captured my interest. It's not often that I find stories that can be described as scary, but there were several events and descriptions that came across as very eerie when read in the dark and complete silence.

Pearce does an excellent job of weavi
Kara-karina
Jul 25, 2013 Kara-karina rated it it was amazing
4.5/5
I fell in love with Bryony Pearce's voice for the first time when I read Angel's Fury. She, - like many British YA authors, - makes this genre very realistic and unapologetic and gritty. There are no compromises where everyone gets what they want, and there are very strong heroines who are definitely not afraid to go against socially acceptable norms and all sorts of bullying from their own peers.

The Weight of Souls was like that. Oh is one of the unpopular kids in her school but she doesn
  • Zenn Scarlett (Zenn Scarlett, #1)
  • Playing Tyler
  • Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2)
  • The Woken Gods
  • Control (Shift, #2)
  • Skulk (Skulk, #1)
  • Emilie and the Hollow World (Emilie, #1)
  • The Glass Republic (The Skyscraper Throne, #2)
  • Any Other Name (The Split Worlds, #2)
  • When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
  • Broken (Broken, #1)
  • Underneath
  • Shadowplay (Micah Grey, #2)
  • Silver Moon: The Complete Saga
  • Silent Saturday (Forbidden Spaces, #1)
  • The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade, #1)
  • The Holders (Holders, #1)
  • Ghost Hold (The PSS Chronicles, #2)
Bryony Pearce (formerly McCarthy) lives with her husband and two children in a village on the edge of the Peak District. She completed an English Literature degree at Corpus Christi College Cambridge in 1998 and afterward worked in the business-to-business market research sector. She went freelance in 2004 so she could devote more time to writing. Bryony was a winner of the 2008 Undiscovered Voice ...more
More about Bryony Pearce...

“Lions and tigers, bitches and bears, oh my.” 2 likes