Start by marking “Love and War (Coltrane, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love and War (Coltrane, #1)

Love and War (Coltrane #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A tale of sizzling passion in a world consumed by the Civil War.

Beautiful and spirited Southerner Kitty Wright is torn between Rebel Nathan Collins and Yankee Travis Coltrane, the dashing Cavalry officer who can melt her heart with desire while sending fury coursing through her veins.

As war erupts, Kitty is abducted and ravished by a war-crazed Rebel. Rescued by Yankees, s
ebook, 2nd Edition, 763 pages
Published December 13th 2011 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd. (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Love and War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and War

Ever since reading Sweet Savage Love this past April, I've often wondered if I'll ever encounter a non-Rosemary Rogers bodice ripper that has the same formula of crazy action, constantly clashing hero and heroine, vivid backdrops, and the seasonings and spices of traitorous bodies, endless abductions, rapes, murders, bloodshed, and - most important of all - compulsive readability.

My friends, I think I found it.

Kitty Wright is a heroine straight out of Rosemary Rogers' playbook. She's a girl who
Im not usually one to write reviews but i was so disappointed. Usually i love a book with rich history- it creates a scene that sucks you in, makes you feel apart of the book, but as i was reading what was supposed to be a "romance" i was expecting at least some type of.. well.. romance (call me crazy right?) instead i got a lot of history. and i mean a LOT of history. i cant really consider this to be a romance, the story went on forever, mostly describing the civil war and in wayyy to much det ...more
Nadine Jones
This was the first historical romance I ever read. Oddly enough, I found it in a pile of paperbacks in the back of my English classroom in 7th or 8th grade. I think the teacher's name was Mr Norton. As an adult looking back, the selection of books he had was oddly uneven and sometimes (like this one) kinda inappropriate for 12 year olds! But at the time, I just loved it.

Kitty's father is a doctor, so when war breaks out, Kitty also works as a field surgeon for the south. She's hot as all hell,
Mary Mcmillin
I am a history buff and can be very critical of those who right historical romances. What I liked about Love and War was the authors careful consideration to history and facts. I have done research on some of the battles that she listed in the book... and this being a free book from Amazon was a great way to introduce me to the author. You are swept up in the constant troubles of Kitty Wright... who was the southern belle who wasn't like all the other girls... and the fact that she has love tria ...more
I absolutely loved this book. I cannot say enough about it. Ii agree with Karla that this rates right up there with Sweet Savage Love, which is my all time favorite book. SSL had it all and so did Love and War. It was a tough read as you were reading about the Civil War where so many young man bravely went into battle and lost their lives or were maimed and disfigured. Kitty was living her hell on earth with the carnage of war, being kidnapped numerous times and the rape. This was a grand book, ...more
Another classic romance I read years ago when I was a teenager! I love Civil War era novels and I still remember this story. It certainly fits into the stereotypical bodice-ripper category but as I recall it was a good story and the characters go through a hellish time before the triumphant ending.
Heidi Francis
Always love reading the oldies . Read this when , like alot of others while in high school. Great read
J'ai adoré! On est très loin de la romance habituelle qui fait rêver, soupirer d'envie... Ici nous sommes plus dans une histoire, celle de Kitty au moment où la guerre de Sécession commence,où se mêlent scènes de guerre, de mutilations, de viols. Cette histoire ravira les lectrices qui aiment les vrais contextes historiques, avec des personnages forts mais où l'amour n'est pas forcément synonyme de rêve. Celles qui aiment les histoires romantiques à souhaits, passez votre chemin...
Lyn Taylor
This book was okay. Based on the realities of the Civil War and all it's ugliness I was absolutely exhausted by the time I had finished reading. The thought of having to go through it all again with a 2nd book in the series ... well I just couldn't bring myself to download it. I guess I was more in the mood for a HEA.
Cassandra Lutheran
This was a very well written book taking you through the ups and downs of the civil war. While I really enjoyed the love story aspect, the end was a little abrupt and slightly disappointing for me (which is why I gave it a 4 instead of a 5). Overall a great read if you enjoy civil war romance novels!
If you adored Sweet Savage Love by Rosemary Rogers or her way of telling a story, you will like this book. Personally speaking, this book and Rosemary Rogers are just too un-PC even for my taste in bodice rippers.
Hanna B
Hated the ending. But it is a good buildup to the next book. But the rest of the book was good.
Hanna B
It was ok. The story seemed to run in circles.
Jane marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Destiny Dagel
Destiny Dagel marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Sara marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Karen Gregory
Karen Gregory marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Ave added it
Sep 02, 2015
Jeanice Watkins
Jeanice Watkins marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Maggie Humphreys
Maggie Humphreys marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Jill Smith
Jill Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Kerry marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Heather marked it as to-read
E. Jamie
E. Jamie marked it as to-read
Loreen added it
Jul 29, 2015
Savannah Braden
Savannah Braden marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Rich added it
Jul 26, 2015
Bodice Ripper Rea...: Buddy Read - Love and War by Patricia Hagan 69 53 Sep 28, 2011 05:07AM
  • The Black Swan
  • Dark Fires (Morgan-Challenger, #2)
  • Love's Wild Desire
  • The Taming (Cameron, #1)
  • Savage Surrender
  • This Other Eden (Eden, #1)
  • The Flesh and the Devil
  • Forever My Love
  • Never Call It Love
  • Caress and Conquer
  • Valentina
  • Lady Of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • The Rain Maiden
  • The Copeland Bride
  • The Sheik
  • Lily Cigar
  • Desert Hostage
  • Stormfire
Aka Patricia Hagan Howell.
Aka Maggie James

Pat is the published author of over forty books of romantic fiction. Several of her titles have appeared on the New York Times Bestseller list. One of her books, "Ocean of Dreams", is based on her own shipboard romance when she met her former husband, a Norwegian engineer.

She is also a former Radio/TV Motorsports Journalist, covering NASCAR Grand National
More about Patricia Hagan...

Coltrane (8 books)
  • The Raging Hearts (Coltrane, #2)
  • Love and Glory (Coltrane, #3)
  • Love and Fury (Coltrane, #4)
  • Love and Splendor (Coltrane, #5)
  • Love and Dreams (Coltrane, #6)
  • Love and Honor (Coltrane, #7)
  • Love and Triumph (Coltrane, #8)
Say You Love Me Final Justice The Raging Hearts (Coltrane, #2) Simply Heaven Orchids in Moonlight