Harbinger (Fate's Forsaken, #1)

Harbinger (Fate's Forsaken #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  502 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Seventeen years ago, a long and bloody rebellion wracked the six united regions of the Kingdom. Now the new King wields the vast and unvanquished army of Midlan with his right hand, and with his left has granted a small group of thugs — the nobles he calls his Sovereign Five — unbridled rule over the other regions. As if this weren’t bad enough, the King has also outlawed...more
Published July 30th 2012 by Shae Ford

To ask other readers questions about Harbinger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harbinger

Mike
I thought this was well done, if a bit juvenile. I'd give it 3.5 stars.

I admit, the book earned its first three stars simply for not being horrible. It was part of a batch of fantasy samples I downloaded, and by the time I got to this one I was pretty furious over all the time I wasted on authors who write like they're still in high school. This, happily, was not a waste of time.

It's most definitely a young adult novel. The main character is not only young in years, but in experience. More than...more
Joecrash411
Well, obviously, I thought it was terrific! My only disappointment is that the author hasn't written more in this series (there is a book 2, I'll get to that later) and I've been really pressed to find another book that grabbed my imagination the way this one did.

The characters are well developed; however, it's obvious she left some stuff alone that would mke another book by itself. The book started VERY slowly - for me anyway,and, I have to admit, I put it down the 1st time I started reading; a...more
Metatrone
I'm a bit surprised by the high rating of this book. It's pretty average all in all. Readable but not really anything to rave about.

Characters are not very complicated, and not very developed, somewhat stereotypical for the most part. There is a certain lack of depth, that's disappointing.

Plot is OK, despite some sparsely motivated events it's was not ridiculous, just a bit bland, not much edginess there.

Writing style is...well average, while entertaining and engaging for the most part, it was s...more
Heather
I enjoyed this book. It's a good mixture of plundering pirates and evil rulers and some paranormal stuff as well. Kael learns he is more than a failed hunter from the mountains. Kyleigh is accepted in spite of being only half-human. The two partner with a ship of well-doer pirates and over throw the bad guy. Yeah!! Kael and Kyleigh part ways a little wounded. I look forward to learning how and when they meet back up.
Chancs
One my very favorites. Very entertaining.
Kathy
I was somewhat surprised at how much I enjoyed this book and think its one of the better self published fantasies I've picked up on amazon. While not totally original (magic young man, evil king and pirates) its nevertheless a book with an emphasis on characters but has not ignored the plot to the point where the story unravels. I'll be happy to continue along with the next book in this series.
Damgaard78
Liked the book. Meant for the young adult crowd, but worked well for me even though a bit older. Very standard fantasy, but good interesting world building without making it too chaotic.

First book in a series of 4, doesn't end on a cliffhanger, but there is a number of loose threads along with the overarching storyarch that makes you wish more of them had been released.
Dave Ricchiazzi
The story was a tad more juvenile than I normally like my fantasy, but it had a certain sweetness to it that encourages you to keep reading. Characters are fun and interesting, story was fast paced and didn't drag. Ending was a little over the top but forgive able and fit with the tone of the rest of the book.
Allen
Great

Great first book. keep up the good work. t a little cliche to begin but once.it gets out of the small village things change quickly
Leonard
I am very surprised at this books rating, being quite a tolerant reader I tend to blast through any book, even if they are less than average. But I did struggle to finnish reading this.

All in all this read was exceedingly cringeworthy, frustratingly facepalm to say the least.
Alice Bridgwater
Scarsino, era partito bene, poi invece si è perso per strada...
Troppo repentino il mutamento del protagonista, troppo inverosimile la storia d'amore, poco convincenti i motivi che starebbero all'origine delle scelte dei personaggi.

Non leggerò il seguito.
Brandy
This book had a lot of action with a good story line. No trash so it is great for younger readers, middle school and up. Adult readers will enjoy the fast pace and subtle humor.
Ben
Great debut book for a new author. Witty and entertaining while putting a fresh spin on the same worn out young orphan hero.
Akan Michael
One of the best books i've read so far this year...its truly Amazing..
I would recommend this book to almost anyone
Robert Mair
When is the second book due to be published, can some one assist
Jeff
Great read with some fresh concepts for the fantasy genre.
Jason Obrien
the book was awesome and awaiting the second one
JonathanP
Cool... I guess
Mischa
Mischa marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Jamie-Jo Brenner
Jamie-Jo Brenner marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Tifi
Tifi marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Chant
Chant marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Cj
Cj marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Aron
Aron marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
  • Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)
  • Elseerian (The Chronicles of Lumineia: The Second Draeken War, #1)
  • Wielder's Rising (Wielder, #2)
  • Eye of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls, #1)
  • The Sorcerer's Ascension (The Sorcerer's Path, #1)
  • Whill of Agora (Whill of Agora, #1)
  • Weapon of Flesh (Weapon of Flesh, #1)
  • The Dragonswarm (Dragonprince Trilogy, #2)
  • The Awakening (Hasea Chronicles #1)
  • The God-Stone War (Mageborn, #4)
  • A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1)
  • Wizard Rising (The Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • The (sort of) Dark Mage (Waldo Rabbit, #1)
  • Thread Slivers (Golden Threads Trilogy, #1)
  • House of Blades (The Traveler's Gate Trilogy, #1)
  • Jaunten (Advent Mage Cycle, #1)
  • The Sword of Truth (The Godling Chronicles, #1)
Shae Ford was born and raised in a not-so-small town outside of Ft. Worth, Texas. She comes from a long line of storytellers, and has spent countless hours seated at the kitchen table: listening to the fisherman's tales, passionate political rants, and sidesplitting antics of her often-mischievous extended family. Her mother, who could always find room in the budget for a new book, has been the un...more
More about Shae Ford...
Slight and Shadow (Fate's Forsaken, #2) Dragonsbane (Fate's Forsaken, #3) Harbinger: Fate's Forsaken: Book One Slight and Shadow (Fate's Forsaken)