Start by marking “Phoenix, Vol. 2: Future” as Want to Read:
Phoenix, Vol. 2: Future

Phoenix, Vol. 2: Future (Phoenix #2)

First published in the 1960s, Phoenix remains relevant today. Civilization has gone underground after several nuclear wars. Masato, a resident of the underground capital of Tokyo, is discovered owning an outlawed alien animal with hallucinogenic properties. Fleeing for his life, he learns the secret of the Phoenix as the world veers toward Armageddon.
Published December 14th 2004 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phoenix, Vol. 2

Tom Ewing
Oct 08, 2016 Tom Ewing rated it it was amazing
The same length as 'Dawn', 'Future' is at once tighter in story and more epic in scope: a parable of a declining human race which opens out into a meditation on cyclical time, futility and patience. There's a grandeur to the post-apocalyptic third act that's remarkable, like the rite of spring sequence in Disney's Fantasia rewritten by Olaf Stapledon - but it's also constantly leavened by Tezuka's gift for humour and the gorgeous fluidity of his action sequence. Future ought to be a bleak story ...more
Nov 09, 2013 Ellie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi, 1-manga
Osamu Tezuka's self-described masterwork is Phoenix, a collection of manga novels that are tied together by the appearance of the immortal Phoenix bird. The volumes alternate between being set in the past and being set in the future, such that they gradually converge towards a present-day time. Sadly, the epic series never reached a conclusion because of Tezuka's death; happily, each story can be read as a standalone work so this incomplete status isn't too unsatisfying.

I mean to read the entire
Phoenix: A Tale of the Future first popped up on my radar as a young undergrad while browsing the campus library. This was before I was willing to admit that graphic novels are not just comics for babies, and honestly, I was a bit embarrassed to be seen with it, so I only read snatches of plot once in a while. About four years later, I finally requested it from the library, sat down, and was amazed about how much I had been missing.

This was probably one of the best manga I've read, period. And I
Jul 26, 2010 Kyle rated it it was amazing
Phoenix: A Tale of the Future is the second volume of Osamu Tezuka's lifework, Phoenix. Even though I'll be reviewing the second volume, every volume of Phoenix stands on its own, so if this one sounds interesting, you don't have to read the first volume before Future. The basic concept of Phoenix is that there's this immortal bird, the Phoenix, and it can make you immortal. This volume of Phoenix takes place in the far future, where large underground cities are ruled by old-school computer brai ...more
Nov 30, 2008 Matt rated it really liked it
File it under "comics about existence". I didn't even realize this was a volume 2 until writing this. It's as open and expansively shut as I could imagine. I would love to see this as a live action movie but know that a movie would never do this justice. Likewise, a book would slow it it down. The pacing. The mystery. The very real fantastic. Yet more proof of the AW YEAH of graphic novels.
Printable Tire
Aug 11, 2016 Printable Tire rated it really liked it
This started out as sort of a manga-through-a-philip-k-dick-lens, with Dickian concepts like identity and Dickian goofy names like the shapechanging Moopies and hackneyed fun manga language of the "Hey! Watch whey're you're going, y'know!" variety. I found the character design and dialog pretty unremarkable, though the backgrounds were pretty cool. Then the last one hundred or so pages enter a mindfucking saga of Star Maker proportions and everything is awesome.
Rain Misoa
Oct 23, 2012 Rain Misoa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Manga Lovers and People searching for answers to life.
Recommended to Rain by: Library
Shelves: manga
One of the best manga I have ever read. Osamu Tezuka truly is a genius for his work. I am award that this is just a part of a twelve part series but considering it's difficult to get your hands on his work in the states, I decided that I will make do with this. And let me tell you I am not disappointed one bit. What I fell in love with here the most was the story. They story really opened up my eyes and... maybe even helped me save it a little. I'd like to believe that I am strong enough to face ...more
May 02, 2012 Dee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-library
This comic book was given to me by my dear friend form Japan, named Hisashi Itoh. I was once not so interested by Tezuka (I don't really like Astro Boy), therefore I wasn't emotionally frantically happy when he handed me this book, looking beautiful in a nice purple package along with a gorgeous bookmark shaped like a Japanese fan.

To be brief, I read the book and after that, I sent my pal Hisashi an email (he was already back to Tokyo then). The email was a true expression of my thoughts after f
Ian Drew Forsyth
Amazing scope, almost like a biology class on evolution, mixed with a socio-political critique. In the future a supercomputer tells humanity what to do. However the super computers are vain, selfish, and stupid, and lead the assured mass destruction of all life on the planet. Except for one life that survives with the help of the phoenix who grants the life the ability to be the creator of life. He dumps some essential elements in the oceans and viola billions of years later. By then he's become ...more
Not the best storytelling I've encountered. Surely there must be better ways of establishing a historical context and presenting past events other than having one character recounting the past or describing a present situation to an interlocutor already well aware of what's being described to him. For the story to work and not descend into farce, the interlocutor has to be an alien to the situation or the reader himself.

Also, with everyone being so damn histrionic and in a constant frenzy, I'm
Dec 15, 2013 Crissy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Osamu Tezuka was a revolutionary artist. This volume of Phoenix (recommended to me, and I was told to skip the first one) has an incredible art style, and a powerful, moving message. I read it in one sitting. If only Tezuka had lived to see the twentieth century, what would he have shared with the upcoming generation? He was years ahead of his time. I strongly recommend this novel. I'll be reading the rest of this unfortunately unfinished work as soon as I can!
Jul 15, 2013 Jewel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
An excellent selection from the godfather of manga (Japanese comics)! A must for all...erm...weebos. I would even recommend this series to people who like science-fiction but are also willing to tolerate graphic novel format.

Also, for those of you who hate anime/manga for all the odd facial expressions and outrageous proportioned characters, you won't find those attributes in Tezuka's work. Very serious, very thought provoking, very clever.
Jul 30, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Osamu Tesuka (aka the Godfather of manga) apparently intended his series Phoenix to be his life's masterpiece. I read this volume a few years ago, but I've been looking for a chance to reread it ever since. The story is strong and meaningful. I won't say more until it's fresh in my mind, but I highly reccomend it.
Rebecca Schwarz
Sep 08, 2014 Rebecca Schwarz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Each volume of Tezuka's Phoenix stands alone. They are bound together by grand themes of man's inhumanity, and humanity, to man, and nature too. The story uses science fictional tropes to embrace environmental, religious, and humanitarian ideas. Although Future was written in the 60s the story feels immediate and relevant today. No small feat! On to the next.
Emilia P
May 11, 2008 Emilia P rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Uh, sort of totally awesome book about the rise and fall of total species. Definitely built on the groundwork of volume 1. The epic nature lent itself to more of Tezuka's epic art (which I like better than the bubbly stuff).
And who doesn't love the slug people? shoot.
Aug 03, 2014 Shaun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very intriguing read from the amazing mind of Tezuka. I like the circular plot that exists; the end of a waning civilization creates a new one. I would love to read the other eleven volumes in the series.
Aug 19, 2012 Ilse rated it really liked it
When you read a lot of books by Osamu Tezuka, you get a bit spoiled I guess. This is not the best Tezuka I have read but the story is gripping. I almost couldn't put the book down before finishing and I'm looking forward to the next chapter... four stars well deserved!
Jan 10, 2009 JK rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This comic is about the self imposed destruction of humanity, its rebirth and perplexing doom to repeat the same mistakes. There is also a very interesting discussion included in the book about Tezuka and the significance of the Phoenix's story.
Mar 19, 2013 Kienie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Everyone wants the woman, and she's not even human. But yeah, women have the power because they have the power of bringing life.
Dec 11, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
via NYPL - loved its epic scope, but never quite connected with the cast and saw the ending coming a little too soon.
Qm2008q McKinsey
Apr 29, 2011 Qm2008q McKinsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 01-manga, pheonix
Was the first of this series published in english. Just found out that they now have the other parts of the series translated as well. Oh happy day!
Nathan Coney
Nathan Coney rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Marc rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2012
Aurelio Ippandoza
Aurelio Ippandoza rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2013
Ai rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2011
august e.
august e. rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2013
Madison rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Alex Fyffe
Alex Fyffe rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2013
Blair rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2011
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2012
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 008 (Pluto, #8)
  • To Terra..., Vol. 2
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 2 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #2)
  • Planetes, Book 4.1 (Planetes, #4.1)
  • Abandon the Old in Tokyo
  • Kitaro
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 3 (Drifting Classroom)
From Wikipedia:
Dr. Osamu Tezuka (手塚 治虫) was a Japanese manga artist, animator, producer and medical doctor, although he never practiced medicine. Born in Osaka Prefecture, he is best known as the creator of Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion. He is often credited as the "Father of Anime", and is often considered the Japanese equivalent to Walt Disney, who served as a major inspiration during his f
More about Osamu Tezuka...

Phoenix (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Phoenix, Vol. 1: Dawn