Start by marking “Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs” as Want to Read:
Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  29 reviews
"Mirror, mirror on the wall, Who is the fairest of us all?" repeatedly asks the Queen, Snow White's stepmother. She always gets the answer she wants, until Snow White turns seven, and the mirror must truthfully answer, "Snow White." At the news, the Queen turns yellow and green with envy and commands the huntsman to kill Snow White and bring her "lung and liver as a token. ...more
Published February 17th 1999 by Smithmark Publishers (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs

Jim Erekson
After reading the picturebook biography of Wanda Gag I wanted to see some more of her work beyond Millions of Cats. This was a great version, which hews closely to the Grimm original, and adds in some elements from Three Bears for dialog. I wished Gag and the editing and design team had done more to ensure there were more full-page illustrations. The spot illustrations are great decorative touches, but Gag is at her best when she keeps the whole frame to her meticulous drawings.
Leslie
Caldecott Honor--1939

Why would you choose a Disney version when you have the beautiful artistry and rich language of Wanda Gag? A perfect classic picture book.
Londa
Beautiful version of this age old fairy tale. The black and white illustrations are perfect! The 8 year old boy was not as impressed as I was, and I sort of expected that. He did like the pictures, but thought the story itself wasn't very interesting. He was irritated with how naive Snow White was and yelled "REALLY!!" every time she opened the door and fell for another of the witch's tricks. I can't argue with him there... Snow was kind of dense. :D If I were to choose a Snow White book for my ...more
Dolly
Feb 07, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining version of the popular fairy tale. Our girls remarked about how similar the story was to another classic Brothers Grimm story, Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The narrative is fairly long, but engaging, and the story is comfortingly familiar. The illustrations are charming and complement the story nicely. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Iustina
The book is nice. It's very simple, but you can feel a magic atmosphere when you read it. You don't even recognize that you're reading a Fairy Tale.

The thing that have impressed me is Snow-white's age. She so young! How has she been able to get married?

Otherwise, I think the books is just cute, so my grade is three stars.
Kristine Pratt
This version leaves me scratching my head somewhat. We have shades of the Three Bears with the whole, eating-drinking-sleeping aspect (and drinking wine? She's so young...!) and then the book ends with a comeuppance that has to do with dancing shoes. So with the mashup of fairy tales, this story feels somewhat new. Which was strange but I kind of liked it.

On the other hand, just how stupid is this girl? Three times the witch comes, and by the second time Snow White is all "I can't let strangers
Amanda Casteel
Author/ Illustrator: Wanda Ga'g

Genre: Fiction Picture Book

Publication Info: Smithmark Publishers: 1999

Reading Level: late early

Topic/Theme: fairy tales

Issues Addressed: murder, jealousy

Classroom Uses: Read Aloud, Individual Reading, paired reading

Summary: This is a translation from the original Grimm brothers tale. Snow White is beautiful and the most fair in the land. She abides with seven dwarfs. The wicked queen wants to kill Snow White. She succeeds, but then Snow White lives...how? You just
Paul
Jenny
I enjoyed the familiar story of Snow White. While I appreciate the black and white illustrations by Gag, there are other versions with color illustrations that I enjoy more.
Mitchell
A Caldecott Honor classic tale. But the art was just okay, and the story was the classic tale without improvements. If you are not the most beautiful in the world you should kill your rival, even if she is your seven year old step-daughter. And a woman's job is to clean up after men. And clearly a woman is too dumb to avoid being fooled three times - or perhaps only pretty ones.
Rachel
I've been waiting forever to get my hands on a copy of this book, which won a 1939 Caldecott Honor award, and the last one I needed to read for that year. "Wee Gillis" is still my favorite from 1939. This is a good version, with cute little illustrations at the top of the pages, though the dwarves look more like gnomes. It is one of the most accurate versions I've seen, i.e. following the real Grimm Brothers story instead of the Disney-fied happy ending version. It was a bit too long to hold mos ...more
Brittany Basalla
The beloved classic tale written out in its old, original charm
Angela
I love to read aloud to my children but if the book is not well written it can become a real chore. Wanda Gag's Caldecott Honor books that we've recently read; Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Nothing at All were such a delight. I was able to really get into the stories with my children and read with so much expression. The pictures are very interesting too. I had forgotten how much more there is to the Snow White story besides Disney's version. So many themes available to discuss with your c ...more
Stefanie
The art was very boring and unremarkable.
Phoebe Cook
Magnificent read! I finished it within ten minutes. Definately worth it.
Snorkle
Based on the well known story by the Brother's Grimm I thought it was really interesting how this story was different from all the snow white versions that I remember, but I thought this version was definitely better. It kind of had a couple elements of other stories in here, but I thought the illustrations were pretty good and the story line was only slightly unbelievable.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Laura5
There is a special place in my heart for Wanda Gág - her illustrations are just so charming and delightful. I have a copy of one of her illustrations framed and hanging in my home (very #nerdybookclub of me, I know). She is also from Minnesota - and I also love to love hometown talents.

This is one I would love to have a copy of in my personal collection.
Jen
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book this afternoon. I'm so used to the Disney version of this story that it was refreshing to read another version. For Snow White to be a child was also new for me as I've always thought of her as a late teen who could marry the handsome prince. Sweet little illustrations add to the wonder of this work.
Lorna
1939 Caldecott Honor

Favorite illustration: The house of the Seven Dwarfs

Kid-appeal: It is pretty long, but both my girls (7 and 10) hung right in there with the book and loved pointing out the differences to the Disney version of the story. The illustrations were great, though small in comparison to the voluminous amounts of text.

Robert
Released independently the same year as the Disney film adaptation, and awarded a Caldecott Honor, this version is more faithful to the traditional story. The illustrations are pleasant, if not glorious, and the story is fun, but not sensational. The ending seems abrupt and not well concluded.
Molly
This is a translation of the fairy tale from the Brothers Grimm. I'm so used to the Disney version of the story, I had forgotten how different it is from the original fairy tale. It was a nice translation and I always enjoy Wanda Gag's illustrations.
Crystal
1939 Caldecott Honor

I remember reading this one as a child. The pictures were very familiar to me. It has a very Goldilocks and the Three Bears feel to it in the middle. And I didn't realize she was born in MN. I have been to her hometown.
Rachel
Traditional retelling with Queen trying to kill her three times, and a format like the Three Little Bears asking who ate and slept from the Dwarf's. The soft delicate illustrations are stunning.
Bree
Notes::
Long book, but excellently written
Beautiful illustrations scattered throughout
Jim
the art is wonderful but the story is from the 30s and reads like it, just a bit sexist
Jeanette
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs with Wanda Gag's distinctive illustrations.
Mckinley
Caldecott honor.
Lovely pictures. Closer to "original" story.
  • Wee Gillis
  • A Very Special House
  • A Child's Calendar
  • Mirandy and Brother Wind
  • Hush! A Thai Lullaby
Wanda Hazel Gág (March 11, 1893–June 27, 1946)[1] was an American author and illustrator. She was born on March 11, 1893, in New Ulm, Minnesota. Her mother (Elisabeth Biebl) and father (Anton) were of Bohemian descent. Both parents were artists who had met in Germany. They had seven children, who all acquired some level of artistic talent. Wanda grew up the eldest of these, and despite their econo ...more
More about Wanda Gág...
Millions of Cats The ABC Bunny Nothing At All The Funny Thing Gone Is Gone: Or The Story Of A Man Who Wanted To Do Housework