Start by marking “Die Siedler von Catan” as Want to Read:
Die Siedler von Catan

Die Siedler von Catan

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  672 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Der Wind heult durch das Dorf. Schwerter schlagen klingend aneinander. Stimmen rufen verzweifelt um Hilfe. Rau und grausam geht es im hohen Norden zu. Das bekommt das kleine Küstendorf Elasund im Jahr 850 bitter zu spüren. Feindliche Völker greifen an, rauben Vieh und Frauen, morden die Männer. Nachdem sie sich durch den Rat der Runen vergewissert haben, beschließen die Üb ...more
Published 2007 by Bastei-Lübbe (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Die Siedler von Catan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Siedler von Catan

Graham
It was OK but the time reading it would have been better spent playing the board game on which it is based.
Jamie
Not all fun & games in Catan... who knew the original settlers were slavers and homophobes? I was surprised at how much I was enjoying this book, though I suppose it does feature on a lot of elements of survivalism and uninhabited-island-exploration that I'm mildly obsessed with. At one early point, I even half-wondered if I was reading a book based off Agricola rather than Settlers of Catan with all the farming talk. A fairly enjoyable, if excessively long read.

However, I have my reservatio
Joel
Just a great book. Actually book on tape but just the same. This had the potential to be awful, but instead the author did an amazing job. It said in the prologue that she was one of the most highly regarded medieval fiction writers of Germany, and she didn't disappoint. The gist of the story is that a bunch of Scandinavians get tired of trying to scrap a living from the rocky soil and being constantly attacked. So they set off for an island that may or may not exist (sound familiar?). But the i ...more
Yvette
I wasn't expecting much out of this book and I was still disappointed.

The problems in this book boil down to three things:

1. The unfortunate but constant pushing of the author's own religious and other beliefs. There was a lot of potential here but everything was taken over by the author's apparent desire to write a Christianity fanfic. (Also, some creepy homophobia on the author's part that goes well beyond the realities of the setting.)
2. The characters. Most of the characters are bland, one-d
Denigmatic
This is really a 1.5, but I'm going to be generous and round up.

There are a lot of flaws with this book. A LOT of flaws. The author clearly has done her research on Viking civilization, but sometimes less is more. Knowing how to properly kill cattle or how ravens were used to find land? That's cool. Letting the main character rape his slave repeatedly and expecting the reader to still find him sympathetic? Not so much.

Yes, there's a lot of rape, and slavery, and questionable low fantasy writing
Scot Eaton
A very, very good book. Surprisingly so. It takes about 100 pages to really get going, but in a 600-page book, this is forgivable. This is much more than the novelization of a board game. It is the story of a Nordic village starting over as a community. It is a story of two friends who find themselves on opposite sites of a religious war (Nordic and Christian). And it is a story about how communities grow and thrive and live and forgive. The only reason it got 4 stars instead of 5 is because of ...more
L. Scott
Jan 25, 2012 L. Scott rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the game; fans of historical fiction
Wonderful historical fiction with Vikings, explorations, blood feuds, brawls, religious conflicts, love triangles, settlement, organizing new governments and economy, and eventually trading sheep for wood and (most importantly) a healthy fear of rolling sevens.

I muddled through the opening pages, turning the words there into a self-fulfilling prophesy of mediocre writing and flat characters. But Gable and her translator beat me at every turn, and eventually I found it impossible to hold onto my
Beth
Historical fiction encompassing high seas with settlers, seeds and animals- seems like a batch of Noah's ark sailing ships setting out with vague directions to find an island once found before by the "main man" of the existing community. Since he is the richest man with more slaves and animals than others, he gets to be boss. Our hero is never enthralled with the "main man" and so two groups form soon after a honeymoon type beginning on Catan. We follow the adventures of each man and his followi ...more
Mike
I admit to begin with that I bought this book because I got it inexpensively and wanted to have it on my bookshelf. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was written by an actual novelist of historical fiction. Still, I can't really recommend it.

Things I liked about this book:

- POV narration. Different characters view the world differently, and this comes across as they become the character of interest. I should be clear, there truly is a single central character, but others are important enough
D.w.
Oct 20, 2011 D.w. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Owners of the game
Recommended to D.w. by: Amazon Vine
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
I was not expecting this to be the world's greatest testament to great fiction. I've played the game on which this books is based a couple times. That feel is what I was looking for in the book. That experience is what i expected the story to cover.

In this, the book failed miserably.

Settlers of Catan as a game begins with the civilization you play competing against other civilizations. The book takes the experience and looks the other way. A third of the book is the back story leading up to the
Rebekah
I really liked this novel. There were moments when I was uncomfortable reading it, but no more than I am uncomfortable reading about historical times that show an unvarnished history.

This was a hard life. I thought it had a few moments that were very much part of the connection to the game that spawned this idea. Sheep being so important being part of that, but it was integrated into the story well. I like the fact that definitions of cowardise and bravery were called into question. Is mercy co
Meherin
The creator of the Settlers of Catan game had ideas for a book based on the game and he found an author to write it.

I found this book to be a solid 3 stars. It was VERY long with a lot of repetition. The characters were mildly interesting but kind of 2D. I thought the book would explore the good and bad sides of both Norse religion and Christianity, but it kind of turned into some preachy Christian lit--not sure if that was the author's intention. And as with any historical fiction, it is rife
Laura of Lurking
This was a long novel, but beautifully written, it never felt like it dragged. It was essentially split into 4 section:

Part 1:
Winter in a struggling village where there is not enough food after an attack. The decision to go and look for an island found by accident y one of the sailors is made.

Part 2:
The journey. The village set off on the ships facing hardships, deaths and loss, as well as growth of their spirits

Part 3:
They arrive on the island they name Catan (surprise! It is the name of the bo
Alan
When I saw a book titled, "The Settlers of Catan" I thought to myself, all right, I'll bite.

This book is based very loosely on the best selling board game of the same name, anyway, when I saw a book titled "The Settlers of Catan" my first reaction was, "Oh, Please! You can't be serious!" I thought it was nothing more than some kind of gimmick to make a quick buck on a well-known brand name. But, as a long-time player of the game I thought it deserved a fair shot.

Anyway, I dove into the book. I
Sheila
One advantage of a novel sharing its title with a favorite board game is it immediately attracts the eye of readers familiar with the game. Even the cover matches the game of Settlers in this large paperback book, so I knew I’d have to read it. One disadvantage of course is that the reader comes with certain expectations. I began to read, looking for parallels with the game and wondering where I’d find them—actually, I began before I even opened the book, wondering how the game could possibly tr ...more
Tom Webster
This has been ok for the bus but I don't think I would have read it for actual pleasure.

Any book based on a board game was always going to be a long shot for the pulitzer prize I decided to give it a go anyway.

Too much rape, too much Christian fanboyism and far too much abuse of the poor old English language.

Oh did I mention there just so happens to be a 9th century super monk along for the ride!!!
Blondebunbun
Picked this book up while discounted on Amazon as was curious to the links to the boardgame. While the plot initially felt like it was dragging by a third of the way through it was becoming harder to put down.

The story of Vikings leaving their land to set up a new home was by no means fluffy with a more adult content than expected. The characters were interesting and developed as the book progressed with the lead Candamir changing considerably in the face of many hard decisions.

This is a book t
Shelby
I read the English translation on ebook and throughly enjoyed it. Of course, it brought the games to life and added a depth I hadn't expected.
Lija Siliunas
As a novel in itself, I'd have given it 3 stars, but as a complement to an absorbing board game, this is absolutely worth reading. It deepens the experience of Settling by vividly describing the adventures, conflicts, and discoveries that real pioneers have faced. I can honestly say that I'll never play Settlers of Catan the same again... and that I've never sounded and felt like so much of a dork in my life.
Michele
I haven't played the game so I came to this 'world' new. It was interesting, but not thrilling.
Paul Owens
Picked this up out of curiosity - how could you base a novel around a board game? In the end it turns out you dont,'The Settlers of Catan' is really just a fairly generic historical novel re-branded as the classic game. It held my attention without ever fully grabbing me and towards the end I had the sneaky suspicion that the author was shoe-horning in some rather questionable moral messages - but the characters are likeable and well drawn and the plot moves along just enough to keep you interes ...more
Tony Kelly
I was hoping this would be a good book, as I love the game, but it was garbage. I gave up before the even made it to the island. Last I checked, Christianity does not play into the board game at all. Another reviewer called this "Christian Fan FIction." Yep, pretty much - the only character developed at all was the Priest who was obviously going to convert everybody.
Christian Duckworth
Great book! Gablé is a fantastic storyteller.
Derek Humes
Spoiler-free review: Good Viking tale of settling a new land and all the associated hardships of such a task. Was surprised at some of the content in the book, as it is not as "friendly" as the family board game it is based upon. Definitely some adult situations. Nevertheless, I liked it throughout, although the final chapters were in a completely different direction from what I expected, and honestly, I'm not sure yet if I liked that particular aspect or not. Found interest in a lot of the reli ...more
Sanfordgrant
Loved this book. It was well researched and an exciting glmpse into a long forgottton time. The people were realistic. I fell into this story and was sorry when it ended.
C.J. Stunkard
All the treachery, ruin, and heartache of an actual game of Settlers, and like the longer-running contests of sheep and wheat, one is glad when it's finished.
The content will shock many, and periods of the book drag; however, I applaud the author for covering as much content and time as she did in a single volume, as this could have been expanded to a series.
As a book, I could take it or leave it; as an adaptation of a beloved board game, I felt it went above and beyond what it needed to be.
JA
Nov 15, 2012 JA marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this based on a friend's recommendation, and got through the first section, but was interrupted by higher reading priorities and set it aside (and now need to obtain another copy or borrow it again). On the one hand, it held my interest reasonably well, and I got far enough in that I feel like I've invested something. On the other hand, I suspect it may be of more interest to those who have actually played the game.
Crystal Riley
Reading a book based on a board game may be one of the nerdier things I've done. But it was worth it. I thought the writing was a little rough in places, mostly due to some serious abuse of adjectives and adverbs (no one ever just has a normal reaction...everyone's always "stunned" or "astonished") but it's hard to tell whether that was the writer or the translator. Anyway, check it out if you're a Catanophile.
Emily
My experience with 'fan fiction' has been mixed. I received this (lengthy) book as a gift and did not really expect much. It exceeded my expectations in every way - chapters, themes (sacrifice for the sake of the community, freedom), and plot. It has the requisite 'romance' sorts of scenes, but overall is very well done. (Though this is attached to the German edition, I read it in English.)

Kyrie
It's loosely based on the game.
I liked the Viking background, and I liked the way the settlers worked through new problems - deciding when to hold to the old ways, when to the new. It wasn't all happy campers. There were definitely differences of opinion, vast differences in settlements. There were a couple scenes I could have done without, but it was good overall.
  • Die Puppenspieler
  • Die Goldhändlerin
  • Das Geheimnis der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #1)
  • Die Farbe Blau
  • Die Rückkehr der Zauberer
  • Das Buch von Eden
  • Rhinegold
  • El Quinto Evangelio
  • Tod und Teufel
  • My Father's Country: Story of a German Family
  • The Righteous Blade (Dreamtime, #2)
  • Book of Secrets
  • My Love, My Love: or The Peasant Girl
  • The Silver Falcon (Das kupferne Zeichen #2)
  • Shaman (Cole Family Trilogy, #2)
  • Das Jesus Video
  • The Franciscan Conspiracy
Aus Wikipedia

Rebecca Gablé ist der Künstlername der deutschen Schriftstellerin Ingrid Krane-Müschen (* 25. September 1964 in Wickrath/Mönchengladbach).

Rebecca Gablé machte 1984 ihr Abitur am „Gymnasium an der Gartenstraße“ in Mönchengladbach-Rheydt. Dem Abitur folgte 1984 eine Ausbildung zur Bankkauffrau. In diesem Beruf arbeitete sie eine Zeit lang auf einem Stützpunkt der Royal Air Force. Dort v
More about Rebecca Gablé...
Das Lächeln der Fortuna (Waringham, #1) Das zweite Königreich Die Hüter der Rose (Waringham, #2) Der König der purpurnen Stadt Das Spiel der Könige (Waringham, #3)