Valentina Goldman's Immaculate Confusion
read excerpt* *Different edition

Valentina Goldman's Immaculate Confusion

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Since her arrival in the United States from Venezuela, Valentina Goldman isn’t exactly living the American Dream. She’s living the American Nightmare. Her late husband, Max, has left her a young widow, a step-daughter whom Valentina didn’t want, and a bi-polar ex-wife. And oh, having given up her dream job in New York, Valentina is also unemployed in Arizona. Part "Bridget...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Hipso Media (first published August 1st 2012)

Angela

Digame. Tell me. About your life, about my life, about everything.

In Marisol Murano’s second novel, Valentina Goldman’s Immaculate Confusion, the reader is thrust into a non-linear narrative told from the first-person point-of-view of Valentina, a Venezuelan immigrant, daughter of two psychologists, sister of a workaholic magazine editor in Caracas, wife of Max Goldman and stepmother of Emily Goldman, to whom the narrative is directed.

The story is held together with the unanswered question of wh...more
Sudeshna
Admit it; we all are human beings living our respective lives on earth’s face. Quite often, while we are busy with our own lives, it tends to collide with a few others and we think that they are a part of our lives when the truth is, our lives and their lives are two mutually exclusive events. Amidst all the chaos when the momentum begins to dip someday, we realize that we have lived our lives and we have made memories. Then there is a need to share those experiences with someone up and close. V...more
Jenee Rager
After my devastating loss in the goodreads giveaway I was contacted by the publisher and offered a copy of this book to review. A few weeks later I received a signed copy, that I couldn't wait to devour. However, that generous offer has nothing to do with my review.

I loved this book. My only complaint, is that I'm afraid with the cutesy title and cover, many readers are going to look at this book and dismiss it as a simple, fun, chick-lit book when it is so much more. I admittedly read the synop...more
Emily
A funny and quirky mix of anecdotes and life lessons. This is imbued with such a distinct personality -- one that begs you to laugh at nearly every page.
Jeanbooknerd
Marisol Murano’s Valentina Goldman’s Immaculate Confusion is the funny and touching story of a woman from South American who moves to the United States in hopes of living the American Dream. For Valentina, her dream quickly becomes a nightmare. After becoming a young widow and is left to take care of a step-daughter she’s never expected, she has to leave her dream job in New York to live in Arizona.

The entire book is about Valentina telling her American step-daughter, Emily, about her crazy life...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair
3.5 stars. Sometimes you come across a book that makes you say, hey, I really wish that I could write like this. Murano gives Valentina, the main character in this book a great voice. It really feels like Valentina is a person that you might really come across in real life. Better yet, she feels like a person that you would want to meet and get to know in real life!

The entire book is based on Valentina, a Venezuelan immigrant, telling her American step-daughter, Emily about her life and the ser...more
Morgan
I received this book from a third party to review:

This book was very slow to start, and never picked up. After reading half the book in two months I have put it down.

While the author tries to entertain with quick stories, they leave the reader askong questions constantly. #1 question being, "Why is she telling these stories?"

I had high hopes for this book because it looked clever and cute. I sorry to say I was highly disappointed.
Hannah
First off, I won this book on Goodreads' FirstReads giveaway.

I liked the book alot. It was very fast paced and entertaining. The only issue I had with it was that in some places it did not seem to have a smooth transition from one section to the next.

Good book though!
Rob Simon
A VERY funny book about a passionate woman from South America who moves to the USA and inherits a life she never imagined.
Alaina Maxam
really enjoyed this book. it is very well written and a hard to put down book
Cary Morton
You can read my complete and honest review here: http://wp.me/p37Zro-11B
Lillian
Oct 18, 2012 Lillian marked it as to-read
Looking forward to reading.
Jaye Star
Jaye Star marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Sharon Richards
Sharon Richards marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
France
France marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Melody
Melody marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Charli Denae
Charli Denae marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Rae
Rae marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Sierra
Sierra marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Bree
Bree marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Jewett
Jewett marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Terri Young
Terri Young marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
Sarina
Sarina marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Alison G.
Alison G. marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
  • Secrets of the Red Box
  • A Hard Act to Follow
  • Sleeping With Dogs and Other Lovers: A Second Acts Novel
  • Black Crow White Lie
  • BORN IN VENGEANCE (Dacian Legends, #1)
  • The Waiting Booth (Whispering Woods, #1)
  • Enlightened (Love and Light, #1)
  • Poseidon and the Sea of Fury
  • All I Want
  • Rebekah (Wives of the Patriarchs, #2)
  • Quarantine
  • Choose the Life You Want: The Way to Lasting Happiness Moment by Moment
  • Alexander Drake's Extraordinary Pursuit (Azra's Pith, Book 1)
  • Grace Doll
  • Yours Affectionately, Jane Austen (The Man Who Loved Jane Austen, #2)
  • Never Give in to Fear: Laughing All the Way Up From Rock Bottom
  • The Enemy
When she was 18-years-old Marisol Murano moved to the United States to attend school so that afterwards she could return to her native Venezuela to get married and have kids. None of this happened. Instead, she ended up getting a Master’s degree which eventually landed her a boring job in an exciting city: New York.

After a few years running the corporate rat race, Marisol woke up to this one day,...more
More about Marisol Murano...
Deliciously Doable Small Plates from Around the World