Start by marking “The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)” as Want to Read:
The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)

The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy 0.25)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,314 ratings  ·  135 reviews
Introduction by Holly Black:

I had the privilege of reading this story many months ago and swooning over it almost as much as I swooned over Unspoken, the first book of Sarah Rees Brennan's gorgeously crafted modern gothic trilogy. Sarah's writing is incredible in that she is able to write these witty, lush scenes that have you smiling along until suddenly, in a single sent...more
Published September 11th 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Spring Before I Met You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spring Before I Met You

Keertana
If I had any doubts about SRB being an evil, evil author who likes to mess with our minds and trample over our hearts, they're all gone now. It's official: SRB is going to be the death of me. I didn't think I could love Jared any more than I already did after reading Unspoken, but clearly I was wrong.

The Spring Before I Met You is told from the POV of a counselor in Jared's high school in San Francisco and through her eyes, we see Jared for the lone, torn, and utterly bereft boy he is. We see h...more
Katy
Again, please note that I have already read "Unspoken" six months ago as an ARC, so that may have affected my review.

I liked this novella a lot more than "The Summer Before I Met You" because I felt this one was a better lead-in to "Unspoken."

In this book, you learn about Jared's rough days in school, his crazy mother and begin to meet the other Lynburns. You also get a glimpse of how much Kami's "presence" affects Jared, whereas "Summer" barely mentioned it at all.

For someone who has already re...more
Aditi
Reviews & all that jazz : That READioactive Book Blog
description

READioactivity on a scale of 5 - Full on five!

I am a newly converted Sarah Rees Brennan fan. I have read & loved (make that in capitals, underlined with flashing neon lights) Unspoken.
The Spring Before I Met You is a short e-story that the author released last month. Not many people know about this story which you can read for free online.
This post is a way to bring this story into spotlight and add my take on it while at it.

The tim...more
Rose
"The Spring Before I Met You" is a prequel story that focuses on one of the main characters of Sarah Rees Brennan's "Unspoken." Jared Moore, a.k.a. Jared Lyndburn, is told to be a deeply disturbed young man accused of murdering his father. But as this story's told through the eyes of his counselor Mariel Delgado, she realizes that there's more to Jared than his reputation. It gives a brief introduction into Jared's interactions with Kami, who Mariel believes to be only an imaginary friend.

I real...more
Sam
Oh Jared. I am officially obsessed.
Heidi
I was thrilled when Unspoken was released, and with it this short story featuring Jared. I went in expecting it to be from Jared’s point of view, and was honestly even more excited when I realized we were once again viewing him through an outsider, but this time it was someone who knew him and could get to him less than Kami.

The Spring Before I Met You is told through the eyes of an unqualified but persistent guidance counselled, Mariel, attempting to help students in a rough neighborhood of San...more
Perla The IB Teen Book Blogger
This story only makes the ending of Unspoken that much more heartbreaking. Jared Lyndburn is one of those special characters that are forever out of reach and oh so tantalizing to get close to. Not at all as sociopathic as another Sarah Rees Brennan hero I loved so damn much, Jared is as sweet and funny as he is dark and tormented. Reading The Spring I Met You after Unspoken was perfect, I wanted the cut to go a little deeper- sick, I am aware.
AJ
This very brief novella gives us an introduction to Jared leading up to the beginning of Unspoken.

Told from the POV of the school counsellor at his previous school, who was obviously very concerned about him, we get to see a little look at his behaviour before he came to Sorry-in-the-Vale. It was actually really sad. Jared is looked upon as a loner and a disturbed boy who gets into fights and may or may not have murdered his father. But through his sessions with the counsellor, and some of the...more
Jaden
A most helpful insight into Jared's life and way of thinking right before he met Kami. He is the usual rugged young man, however he is way more distant and less talkative than he is around his not-so-imaginary-friend. I also feel that those few pages somewhat redeem him for being so cruel and harsh to Kami at the end of the first full novel. You keep at bay the ones you wish to protect, right?

What is quite interesting is that despite his loneliness, the rumors about his sanity and his own indiff...more
Teresa
I'd read this way back when before Unspoken came out butmust've forgot to mark it on here, so this is one of my numerous rereads.

This novella takes place, as the title indicates, the spring before Jared and Kami meet. Its told from the POV of the guidance couselor at Jared's school in the US before the Lynburns find him and his mom and take them back to the UK.

It was so interesting getting this outside glimpse of Jared and the little bits we get to see and learn about his and Kami's relationshi...more
Wonderful addition to the unspoken short stories. It was lovely to hear from Jared's perspective and get a bit more of a feel for his personality and where he's coming from a little more. It didn't set my loins ablaze as much as the first one but I still really enjoyed it. I will say that even though technically it's a prequel if you haven't read unspoken yet I think you should read that before you read this, i think it's more fun that way, but what do I know I'm not a scientist.

oh I forgot!!!....more
Dani
★★★★★

I love this view of Jared through the eyes of his high school guidance counselor. As I stated in my Unspoken review, Jared's character is a conflicting one with contrasting extremes -- extremely sympathetic and yet highly disturbing. This little revelation into Jared's character was pretty heartbreaking and sheds more light on what his life was like before Kami was physically in it... and also gives a glimpse into what his abysmal home life was like. Just a really good, meaty chunk of back...more
Crystal Starr Light
This short story is told from the point of view of Mariel Delgado, a "guidance counselor" at Jared's high school in San Francisco, just before Jared arrives in Sorry-in-the-Vale. It's a particularly nice little story; I really liked Mariel and think the story did a great job expanding on Jared's background. Even better, the writing is really solid and there are transitions. If you liked "Unspoken", you definitely need to read this.
Bliss Silverleaf
Wow!! È molto interessante, lo ammetto. Jared m'intriga tantissimo, con quei suoi modi gentili, silenziosi, un po' sinistri, ma voglio scoprire di più di Kami e del loro rapporto. E del segreto della famiglia a cui Jared appartiene, perchè sono così strani che devono averne uno.
Era da tanto che volevo iniziare questa serie, speriamo bene!
Giovanna
3.5

I wished for a little bit more, but overall it was really interesting to see Jared and the Lynburns from another perspective. I didn't think Jared would be like that and it was nice to be able to see him as a fragile boy while at first he came across as a troubled and angry boy.
Kimm
Heartbreaking and raw! This story gives a bit more insight into Jared's world. I am in love with this series!
Jena
Oh how I love Jared Lynburn.
Navdha
It was so different to see Jared through someone else's eyes. I really admire the way Brennan writes her novellas. She uses new characters who have no relation to the story otherwise and does a wonderful job in making us more familiar to our beloved characters.

Even if Jared wasn't my favorite person in Unspoken, my heart went out for him in this book. He had been so lonely and unwanted all his life that Kami was his only escape. There are so many sides to his personality in this short story alon...more
Sharon
well well. i haven't yet read Unspoken but this short story really made me want to read it.
also, this story had an emotional depth and i really can't wait to meet Jared.

one more point- as to The Summer Before I Met You it's amazing how those two stories are contrast to one another. one gloomy, sad, maybe a bit hopeful but not completely while the other funny, full of energy and hope.

i wonder how those two arcs will collide.

SRB please, if you plan to break my heart in this trilogy rmemeber to...more
Louisa
Darn, I wish I'd read this before reading Unspoken last year. Great introduction to Jared and his situation before moving to Sorry-in-the-Vale, as well as a clearer glimpse into his and Kami's "imaginary friend" relationship in comparison to The Summer Before I Met You , complete with Sarah Rees Brennan's trademark sense of humour.

Rosalind did not look at him, but she said in a gentle voice, “It’s not his fault. He was born lost. We are the creatures of red and gold. Our inheritance is blood an
Lucy
Oct 03, 2014 Lucy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the series

Poor Jared! He really is one of the most tortured characters I know. I can feel the heaviness of his loneliness and sadness weighting on me. *sigh*
Dee Prathia
I can't wait for my Unspoken book to come!!!!
I pity Jared for all the wrong accusation he accept for thing that he (might) didn't do. But at least he has someone to talk to all the time. He also reads... I love boys who reads :D
Oh, I love how Jared talk about Kami in such a lovely way, he loves her. And Ash was so good looking (in my mind). But still... I don't get The Lynburns, why do they have to be such a mysterious family. Is Jared Mom a little... not right in mind?
Oh well, I love this short...more
Frannie Panglossa
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.

It was a pretty simple and short novella and though yes, I was expecting a little bit more, I found it extremely interesting and captivating.

I couldn't halp but feel drawn somehow to Jared and his character is undeniably fascinating. I had already read first chapter of the first book when I started this one, so I know Kami has an imaginary friend called Jared and now I know Jared has an imaginary friend called Kami. So... how are they goig to meet? Will they know they...more
Miss Clark
Claire
Definitely liked it more than The Summer Before I Met You (Kami's perspective) probably only because you can see the influence that Kami has in Jared's life and it's just oh so adorable. If you've read Unspoken, you are obligated to read this. It is a must. (Don't worry, it's free and available on pdf if you just google it, heh.)
Michael
This is one of two "prequel short stories" that go along with Unspoken. This one is about Jared, while the second is about Kami. I don't know if you're "supposed" to read them before you read the novel... They come first, chronologically, but I'm not sure you'll really enjoy or even completely understand them if you haven't read Unspoken.

My reaction?
Eh... It was alright. I see why the author decided to tell the story through a new character's eyes-- an art teacher filling in for the absent guid...more
Sanette
I absolutely love Sarah Rees Brennan and I'm so glad I stumbled on this short story half way through Unspoken. I already loved Jared and was wary of Ash and reading this has really given me new insight into Jared and the Lynburn family. I'm so excited to see where this story is going to take Kami and Jared!!
Zemira Warner
Sep 14, 2012 Zemira Warner added it
Shelves: gothic
I feel rather silly rating short stories. This one had only 15 pages but it made me want to read Unspoken. Well,I wanted to read Unspoken even before The Spring Before I Met You was released. I'm gonna read now The Summer Before I Met You and then the actual book.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Nice, easy, quick, jaunt into Jared's life before heading to England. Just long enough to carry a plot of its own, but short enough to finish in twenty minutes, The Spring Before I Met You will temporarily sate fans of Unspoken eager for more.
Jenn
This story kind of broke my heart. Jared was not my favorite character in Unspoken, though I could understand why he acted in the way he did, given his horrid upbringing. This short story gives some greater insight into who he is.
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Seraphina: The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • Men Who Wish to Drown
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse, 0.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • Tomorrow is Today (Tempest, #0.5)
  • Shadow (Paper Gods, #0.5)
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • Secrets of the Time Society  (Timeless, #1.5)
  • Catching Suki (Lila, #0.5)
Sarah Rees Brennan is Irish and currently lives in Dublin. For a short stint, she lived in New York and became involved with a wide circle of writers who encouraged and supported her, including Holly Black and Cassandra Clare. She has developed a wide audience through her popular blog, mistful.livejournal.com, where she writes movie parodies, book reviews and some stories.
More about Sarah Rees Brennan...
Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1) The Demon's Lexicon (The Demon's Lexicon, #1) Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2) The Demon's Covenant (The Demon's Lexicon, #2) Team Human

“all fiction is better with explosions' said Jared. 'Basic fact of life.” 2 likes