Start by marking “The Lottery Ticket” as Want to Read:
The Lottery Ticket

The Lottery Ticket

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When Ivan Dmitritch's wife, Masha, invests her money in the lottery, he can help but feel it is a foolish waste of timing. However, having read through the rest of the paper, he agrees to check the numbers for his wife at her request. To his astonishment, the series number of Masha's lottery ticket matches the winning series number. Without checking the rest of the number ...more
Published (first published February 22nd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Lottery Ticket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lottery Ticket

Heartbreaker Breaks by Paloma MeirLucky You by Carl HiaasenAn Embarrassment of Riches by Gerald HansenThe Lottery Winner by Mary Higgins ClarkThe Lottery by Shirley Jackson
Lottery Winners in Fiction
11th out of 45 books — 14 voters
The Winner by Melissa SilveyThe Lottery Ticket by Jules VerneThe Lottery Ticket by Anton ChekhovThe Lottery Ticket by Michael D. GoodmanThe Lottery Ticket by Tom Maremaa
Lottery Themed Books
3rd out of 14 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Huda Aweys
لما فسحه من الحلم يستدعيها شخص بسيط سيطرت على رؤاه قيم المجتمعات المادية ، و يفوق بعدها مصدوم على حقيقة وضعه .. طبيعي يكره نفسه و اهله و مجتمعه كمان ، و دى مشكله ماكانتش موجودة بالمناسبة في مجتمعاتنا الشرقيه الروحانيه المؤمنه قبل كده لكن ابتدت تتسرب الينا للأسف ، .. و بقى لمجرد ان حياة شخص ما موش كامله من وجهة نظره لأنها موش مزينة كفايه بالمنتجات الاستهلاكيه اياها اللى محاوطانا من كل اتجاه سبب كافى عشان ينتحر مثلا !! ، قصة قصيرة بعنوان (بطاقة الياناصيب) - لتشيكوف ، نقلتهالكم توفيرا للبحث و الجهد ...more
Very short. Very humorous. Very Chekhov. Well worth 15 minutes to listen on Librivox.
Ibrahim Saad
تذكرت قول الشافعي :
العبدُ حرٌّ إن قَنَعْ والحرُّ عبدٌ إن طمع
فاقنعْ ولا تطمعْ فلاَ شيءٌ يشينُ سوى الطمع

Moataz Muhammad
A short story by Chekhov follows the processing of the concept winning the Lottery by a married couple. It began with utter happiness and joy, building dreams and so on, but eventually it drifted to hatred, greed and jealousy just before they realize their card wasn't the winner one after all. It gives you the portrayal of building castles of sand on a stormy day where tide is high.
The day dreaming in the hope of winning a lottery is hilarious. But the end was very much predictable.
Moral - You do not respect the money if it is not hard earned.
I wonder how The Lottery Ticket didn't make it to my high school literature textbook. I remember ready another one of Chekhov's work in school and although I've sadly forgotten the title, I still remember Chekhov's name, a sign which compelled me to read The Lottery Ticket - and it is such a refreshing read! His understanding of the human mind is amazing. It's funny how Ivan and his wife turn against each in a matter of minutes without even uttering any words of hate! Years later, I'll be just a ...more
Scott Harris
This is another wonderful tale from Chekhov, whose insight into human character is amazing. He dissects the mental process of anticipating to win a comparable boatload of money, as excitement turns into resentment and back into something else. Anyone who has ever obsessed about similar possibilities can probably resonate to some degree with the emotions and thoughts of those involved.
Chekhov scores with his haunting and mellifluous style in The Lottery Ticket. The message is loud and clear in this short story - money does not buy love and has, the potential to destroy it. A short story many will relate to in some way.
Mayank Saboo
I had this for my school syllabus. good.
Interesting premise. It could have actually been shorter than it was. Much of the internal dialogue began to feel like a filler even though the story itself isn't long at all. That said, it still works narrative-wise and is an enjoyable read. I love the whole idea of this.
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
Old wine in an older bottle. It was so predictable that it took away the pleasure of reading. The only interesting thing was the way in which the emotions of the couple change,from excitement to hatred to despair. It's more or less of 'story with a moral' type.
"The Lottery Ticket" is a short 'what if' story. A married couple speculate on a possible big win with their lottery ticket. Their thoughts of money compromise their love for each other.
story also found at:
Порадовались, помечтали, и приземлились... ))

Но самое примечательное то, что достаточно только одних таких мечтаний, чтобы проявилась подлинная сущность человека. А что было бы, если билет был выигрышным?...
Abhishek Sharma
Beautiful story..
Chekhov's marvelous writing and the perfectly blended emotions in his writing are purely icing on the cake..
truly good...
Хороший рассказ о жадности. Хорошо, но не отлично – по-моему, немного предсказуемо.
Muhammed Zidan
لا تعبر الجسر قبل ان تبلغه ..
Great short story
Sneh Pradhan
Chekhov's insight into humanity , its emotions, tendencies & all attendant idiosyncrasies make almost all his stories gems of the priceless kind . I have developed this fantasy of time-travelling to Chekhov's clinic ( or whatever it was called at the time ) and witness how he dealt with his patients !!! ( Being a doctor myself : D )
May 22, 2013 Kylie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I read this in Russian so I got to feel Chekhov. Very interesting, even in English.
Just one of those stories included in my high school English class.
My first Anton Chekhov. And it's a pretty good one.
Pia Nicole
Pia Nicole marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Lauren marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Sophia added it
Sep 10, 2015
Clarenceabueg marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
  • The Hungry Stones and Other Stories
  • The Body Snatcher
  • A Country Doctor
  • The Signalman
  • Heaven Is High (Barbara Holloway #12)
  • The Open Window
  • The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)
  • The Woman Who Had Two Navels
  • Love of Life
  • The Judge's House
  • La Parure
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov was born in the small seaport of Taganrog, southern Russia, the son of a grocer. Chekhov's grandfather was a serf, who had bought his own freedom and that of his three sons in 1841. He also taught himself to read and write. Yevgenia Morozova, Chekhov's mother, was the daughter of a cloth merchant.

"When I think back on my childhood," Chekhov recalled, "it all seems quite glo
More about Anton Chekhov...
Selected Stories The Cherry Orchard The Seagull The Complete Short Novels Uncle Vanya

“To torment and tantalize oneself with hopes of possible fortune is so sweet, so thrilling!” 5 likes