Start by marking “Snowing in Bali” as Want to Read:
Snowing in Bali

Snowing in Bali

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  973 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
It's snowing in Bali. Among Bali's drug dealers it's the code for a huge cocaine shipment having just landed. For the men who run the country's drug empires, it's time to get rich and party hard.

Snowing in Bali is the story of the drug trafficking and dealing scene that's made Bali one of the world's most important destinations in the global distribution of narcotics. With
Published November 1st 2012 by Pan Macmillan Australia

To ask other readers questions about Snowing in Bali, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowing in Bali

Christopher
Mar 20, 2013 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Snowing in Bali... what a read.

An insight into the inner workings of the illegal drug trade in one of the biggest drug capitals in the world.

A true story that is well paced, easy to follow and will have you hooked from the first few pages. The scene and character bios are very well written, with excellent descriptive content throughout the book.

Snowing In Bali is written using many references from people in the center of this crazy and bizarre underworld, the book also references credible curre
Kathy
Mar 09, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Kathryn Bonella you strike again!

Another of your stories that make me feel like im a part of it all or even know the people and surroundings that you write about. I feel your stories - I become absorbed,addicted even! I dont want them to end..I want another chapter and then some.
You have a great style of writing - easy to understand. So informative and descriptive.

I just this morning finished reading my book "Snowing in Bali"...I didnt want it to end - i thnk i read the last page 5 times just s
Grace
Feb 18, 2013 Grace rated it really liked it
Interestingly I actually read this book before Hotel K and finished it within 3 days. I couldn't stop reading it and couldn't believe I actually reached the last page.

It gives an insight into the works of drug trafficking in the simplest ways. And how it got people started because of the seemingly easy ways to do it.

For the rich, it's like an exciting game where they can push their limits to challenge danger itself.

For the normal folks, it is the gateway or rather a lure to a lavish lifestyle
Mandie Mete
Nov 21, 2012 Mandie Mete rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book.! Loved Hotel K so I had to read this and it's fantastic! So interesting and that's coming from me who has never read any books before these two. Just love Kathryn Bonella's work! Just great :)
Nicole Stevenson
Nov 22, 2012 Nicole Stevenson rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put this book down...just amazing how many people risk everything for money.
Inge
Feb 27, 2013 Inge rated it it was amazing
A great read, I've found it fascinating on how they could live with constant fears not to get busted - where was their conscious, I guess it's just like what some of the characters said in the book, it's a playground arena. There's some sadness too.

Looked at some, very familiar faces, until reached page 227, I recalled incident where I was one of the witnesses of the violence mentioned in the book. While I was standing in front of the club on Dhyana Pura street with an American friend. Jose &
Kylie
Jun 19, 2013 Kylie rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly written....a must read for anyone who has been to or is planning on going to Bali. From the moment I opened the book I couldn't put it down....a seductive and enticing exposé of the unseen underbelly of Bali. Drugs in Bali...we know what we read in the news, but this book divulges even more of what is truly an intricate network of systems and methods, to supply to the rich and famous and holiday maker crowd. The fact that I had unwittingly spent five days being coached to surf by one ...more
Catherine
May 07, 2013 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, biography
I am such a HUGE fan of Kathryn Bonella!! This book gives the reader a fascinating insight into Bali's 'hidden drug world'. I have to say..... I know he was a bad dude; but I was completely captivated by the charismatic Rafael. A provocative and eye-opening read.
Dennis Abbey
Oct 25, 2012 Dennis Abbey rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because I'd read hotel kerobokan by the same author and absolutely loved that book. I heard the author on Kyle and Jackie O show this week and bought her new one straight away. If anything, this book is even better. I recommend it to anyone who wants to get an intimate - sometimes very sexual - (the orgy in the first chapter and more later are pretty in your face - its not for prudes)- at drug bosses in Bali and the great life they live but also it gives plenty of reasons why ...more
Paul
Apr 28, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drug-trafficking
A very good book about drugs and how the different players are involved. Lots of first hand accounts and personal recollections. I really loved this book.

It's interesting to see how most people involved in dealing drugs won't stop. Even when they are caught they find ways of getting out of jail and continuing with their business.
Ann-marie Braun
Apr 07, 2013 Ann-marie Braun rated it it was amazing
Truly shocking!! I was not prepared for what was inside the cover.. Kathryn Bonella takes her readers all the way from the Island of the gods to the seedy underside of tropical paradise. Totally captivating, brutally honest and very raw. A definate MUST READ I found it hard to put down!
Jarrod Rutley
Jan 28, 2013 Jarrod Rutley rated it it was amazing
I don't read much but I couldn't put either of them(snowing in bali & hotel kerobokan) down they a unbelievable insight into the drug underworld and prison life.

very well written, you feel like your on the streets of bali with the people in the book.
Roge
Apr 13, 2013 Roge rated it it was amazing
A compelling book about the underworld in Bali. It really is an eye opener and so well written that it drags you in and keeps you reading until the final page. I didnt want it to finish. Am going to read hotel Kerobokan next by the same author. well done.
Fiona Schofield
Apr 13, 2013 Fiona Schofield rated it it was amazing
Best book I have read in a long time. I would have given it 10 stars if I could. I only finished it on Monday and want to read it all over again. Read it people - you will not regret it!
Ames
Mar 28, 2013 Ames rated it it was amazing
Loved it and am going to read Hotel Kerobokan this author next. I read nearly the whole book in one go.
Justine
Nov 19, 2012 Justine rated it it was amazing
riveting!!! A must read for anyone who has been to Bali.
Alicia
May 29, 2013 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Excellent could not put it down. Highly recommend.
Vicki
Feb 26, 2013 Vicki rated it it was amazing
I have recently completed Snowing in Bali which I could not put down. I recently went to Bali and fell in love with the place as do many many others. This really exposed a side to Bali that I had only heard vague things about. It really gets you into the story and the characters within, Rafael plays a main role in this story and is charming and likeable and it makes you really see how they all got drawn in with the money and living the high life until it all comes crashing down around them. The ...more
Anne
Aug 26, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing
Yet another well written informative book from Kathryn Bonella on the underside and drug trade in Bali.

An honest look inside the lives of the drug dealers and how they operate and the prices they pay for their fortunes quickly won and lost. An insight into the way they recuit their "horses" and basically everything you have ever wanted to know about what really happens in Bali's underbelly but was afraid to ask.

I have read all of Kathryn's books and highly recommend this one, to any true crime
Kierang
Aug 24, 2013 Kierang rated it it was amazing
Well, well, well! That was a very intense and brilliant read indeed.

I enjoyed the many detailed events described by the characters, especially how deep with Rafael the book gets regarding relationships and his own issues with cocaine.

The brutality of the Indonesian "police" *cough* thugs *cough* made me feel that they themselves were no better than the drug dealers... And, at times, they were a lot worse!

Thank you for writing this book, I plan to read Hotel K very soon and I'm sure it will not d
Alex Byers
Jul 10, 2013 Alex Byers rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is beautifully written and makes you feel like you are right in the moment. The author has done an incredibly good and brave job of getting drug bosses to open up and talk to her, revealing details of debauchery and also of secret ways they traffic drugs. if you like true crime, this book is a must read. Amazing. Congrats to the author.
Ben
Jan 20, 2013 Ben rated it it was amazing
Great book! Have always been curious about the dark side of beautiful bali! Almost makes me want to do a few cheeky runs!
Todd
Jan 15, 2013 Todd rated it it was amazing
Best book ever. If any one is goin to Bali or has been to Bali IT IS A MUST READ must read must read must read
Cathreen Shiucheng แคทเรน
Totally love this book. A sequel of Hotel K. Thumbs up!
Kev
Jul 16, 2013 Kev rated it really liked it
Great info into the dark side of the island.
Ad Samad
Jul 18, 2013 Ad Samad rated it really liked it
A terrific read! Didn't know so much evil lurking around in paradise.

Looking forward to read Hotel K.

Now, gonna make my wife read this—so she'll know a bit more about the dark side of paradise—where we used to walk together holding hands—and she was carrying my Yusha in her tummy.
Tiia
Sep 08, 2013 Tiia rated it really liked it
This is a great story about Balis' drug worlds' ups and downs. I like the way Kathryn tells the story without blaming anyone about decisions they have made in their life. It was pleasure to read this story and face these people through the written text the way they are.
Larry Tan
Jul 12, 2013 Larry Tan rated it really liked it
Fantastic book! I can't imagine the amount of effort it took for Ms Bonella to research her subjects and get them to reveal the inner workings of drug smuggling in Bali. I'm now looking forward to get my hands on her other best seller Hotel K.
Rowena Yeoh
Jun 07, 2013 Rowena Yeoh rated it really liked it
An insight into Bali's underworld. Gripping!
Prince Dark
  • Bali 9: The Untold Story
  • The Bhagavad Gita: A Walkthrough for Westerners
  • Gang of One
  • My Journey
  • Sins of the Father: The Untold Story Behind Schapelle Corby's Ill-fated Drug Run
  • Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs, She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse
  • Shamed: The Honour Killing That Shocked Britain - by the Sister Who Fought for Justice
  • A House in Bali