Start by marking “Love Disguised” as Want to Read:
Love Disguised

Love Disguised

Will Shakespeare is about to meet the girl who will change his life forever. After a mixed-up courtship with the Hathaway sisters ends badly, Will jumps at the chance to go to London, where he can pursue his dream of becoming an actor. There, Will meets the unusually tall (and strong) Meg who has earned the nickname "Long Meg" for her height. She's also fleeing her own pas ...more
Published July 30th 2013 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Love Disguised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Disguised

Alice in Readerland
Jul 10, 2013 Alice in Readerland rated it it was ok
First things first: I enjoy historical fiction, I enjoy books about Shakespeare, and I enjoy books about mistaken identities. The synopsis also gave off a Twelfth Night vibe, which (along with Much Ado About Nothing) is one of my two most favorite Shakespeare plays.

So, did this book seem like a good match for me?

Yes, definitely!

Was it a good match for me?

Er, well, here’s a Sleepy Kitten gif. What does that tell you?
description
I tried to like this book, I really did.

Here’s what I liked:

There were some real
Bayla
*Review of ARC*

While I do enjoy historical fiction, particularly about times and people (like Shakespeare) that I'm interested in,I was disappointed in Love Disguised . It felt much more fictional than historical. I've read plenty of nonfiction about Shakespeare, so I expect a certain verisimilitude that wasn't present here. The characters seemed flat, the plot problems too easily solved. However, for younger readers than I, or for readers looking for a light, simple, romance, this might be a g
Libby Ames
Dec 11, 2013 Libby Ames rated it really liked it
In a story reminiscent of Shakespeare’s own plays, Love Disguised invents what might have happened during Shakespeare’s Lost Years. A young Will Shakespeare travels to London with a sum meant to relieve his father’s debts. On his way to settle the debt, Will is robbed and finds himself friendless and penniless in England’s largest city. Long Meg, tavern maid and peace keeper, recognizes the thieves and disguises herself as a boy to help Will hunt them down. The drama that follows includes a mult ...more
Ariel Uppstrom
Apr 22, 2013 Ariel Uppstrom rated it did not like it
Ugh. Painful to get through. Normally I like the retelling of other stories from a new or modern perspective, but this one was not good. Having read other Lisa Klein books, I found this one to be the most trite of hers.

The book is a story about Shakespeare and how circumstances in his life led him to come up with the plot for "Twelfth Night" (probably my favorite Shakespearean comedy). However, this retelling of the story was bad. I love historical pieces and this one did not measure up. Though
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
A good 'what if' book about the period when 18-yr-old William Shakespeare comes to London to begin his career as an actor/playwright, and the incredible young woman who could have been his muse.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur Magazine in the August issue. http://affairedecoeur.com.
Gretchen Hohmeyer
Jun 14, 2013 Gretchen Hohmeyer rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, netgalley
I will make an admission here: I am an English major who hates Shakespeare. Well, most Shakespeare, except for Twelfth Night and a few others. So when I found out Lisa Klein had written a ya novel about how Shakespeare came up with the plot for Twelfth Night, I jumped on it. Sadly, what I found was mostly a trite and overwrought story that left me laughing at it’s weirdness in the end–and not in a good way.

The book opens up with a LOT of telling. (you know, in the show vs. tell fashion that most
Megan (The Book Babe)
Other reviews at The Book Babe's Reads. Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.

I am not Mack; I am only Meg.

Honestly, I'm not at all sure of what I want to say about Love Disguised. I wish I could tell you that it was brilliant, or that the characters blew me away... but that would be a lie. While I liked this one, I didn't find it particularly or interesting or ground-breaking.

I really liked it in the beginning; it had a certain charm about it, what with all the characters referring to
Bookworm1858
Source: Received an e-ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Though I'm not the biggest Shakespeare fan (I appreciate his contributions to the English language but I just don't read many plays), I find myself continuously drawn to stories about his life. There's just so much we don't know about the guy so it's ripe for various interpretations.

In this version, Shakespeare has a run-in with the sisters Hathaway that ends wrongly and he eagerly jumps on an opportunity to go to London an
Alexa
Jun 19, 2013 Alexa rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
Any mention of Shakespeare, any at all, and I will usually be down to read or watch something. So when Love Disguised popped up on my radar, I just had to check it out. While it was a fun, diverting read, it also fell into the realm of slightly predictable and not very memorable.

As always, here's the list of the things I liked and the things I didn't like about this book:

The references to Shakespeare's works were such fun. It felt like a bit of an Easter Egg hunt, really. With every chapter read
Chelsey
Aug 01, 2013 Chelsey rated it liked it
Everyone that knows anything about Will Shakespeare most likely knows that he married a woman by the name of Anne Hathaway. However, this fascinating story gives us a different outlook on his love life. This book tells the story of Will and Meg, two young souls looking for a way out of their current circumstances and looking for the place they belong most in life. Anne may have been Will’s love, but Meg was his muse. This is the story of how they met and where life took them from that point. Rea ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
This really was a fun tale of the adventures of a young William Shakespeare as he left his home town to venture to London to pay off a debt of his father's. Along the way he meets Meg and Mack as well as many others who, as you read the story, start to see as characters that will later star in many of his plays and tales.

We learn of his woes in love and life and the dark comedy that he so loves to writes about, we see in his life experiences.

Truly a fun take on how Will came up with the storie
Courtney
Sep 10, 2014 Courtney rated it it was ok
Starting out this book i was transfixed. It had all the things i love in a book, A strong female character who doesn't take crap from any man or women, a smart male lead with a curiosity that leads to all kinds of fun, and i loved that it was about William Shakespeare and set in that time. The plot was a little confusing at times as far as keeping all the characters straight. Towards the end i fault restless with how quick everything unfolded as it was the main part of the book and it was resolv ...more
Phoebe
Jan 18, 2015 Phoebe rated it liked it
Young Will Shakespeare has a romantic conundrum: which Hathaway sister does he really fancy? He is also unsure about what he wants to do with his life, but it seems as if his father will be deciding for him. He learns the business of being a glover, though it holds little appeal; he helps manage the family shop along with his brother Gilbert. When his less-than-above-board father's debts catch up with him, and 10 pounds must be paid or it's debtor's prison, Will goes to London to try to sort thi ...more
Anna
Jul 19, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this re-imagining of Shakespeare's life. I'm normally not a huge fan of historical fiction, regardless of the target audience (although there have been some notable exceptions: The Book Thief, Between Shades of Gray, The House Girl), but I do love anything to do with Shakespeare, so I picked this one up. Love Disguised is very Shakespeare in Love for young adults, and I loved it. There are a ton of plot devices that I think Shakespeare would have really enjoyed himself, and the ...more
Sandy
Feb 03, 2014 Sandy rated it it was ok
This historical fiction book explores the relationship between William Shakespeare and Meg, the barmaid at the Boar’s Head Inn, who sometimes disguises herself as her “brother” Mack. They are both attempting to escape troubled lives and begin a close friendship. Between the topic and archaic language, it’s hard to decide on an audience for this specialized novel. It certainly will be a slow mover at my library.
Nancy
Sep 02, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
This book started out slow but after a couple of chapters I started to get really into it. I don't think it will be a story I forget especially when the author replicated so much of the history of Shakespeare. I have to admit I liked imagining shakespeare as the hero in his own right. it has been done before but it still captivates my imagination.
Kenzie Hill
Love disguised was not a very good book. But I did like that there was a spark between the two main characters. But at the end when they were heart broken when he had to leave and go back home to baby on the way. His dad mad him get married to Anna because that was the responsible thing to do.
Debbie
Aug 13, 2014 Debbie rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this book. I love Shakespeare, I've visited the Globe Theatre in London, and I've been to his childhood home in Stratford-Upon-Avon. However, this story went so slowly, I just couldn't get into it.
Rose
Jun 16, 2014 Rose rated it it was amazing
I normally don't read historic fiction but I loved this book. the charters were relatable and I really enjoyed the read.. I just hated the ending but oh well.. also I think books like these help kids get into history ,,, again this is a great book I will recommend to many people.. :)
Christian
Apr 15, 2013 Christian rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
Another book that I could not finish due to boredom.
Celeste
Oct 11, 2013 Celeste rated it it was ok
I have read Ophelia by this author and really liked it. This book was a bit depressing and I didn't like the way she portrayed William Shakespeare.
Megan
Oct 28, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars
It lost that half a star because of the ending.
My poor, poor namesake. :'(
Sarah Ressler
Aug 01, 2013 Sarah Ressler rated it really liked it
A lovely answer to questions about Shakespeare's early years plus a veiled Twelfth Night story!
Historical romance
Amanda Choi
Feb 02, 2014 Amanda Choi rated it did not like it
I can't even finish it. That is how much it bores me. It is probably the historical part. Or maybe I just don't like the plot. Either way, I do not recommend this book.
Ann
Sep 25, 2013 Ann marked it as to-read
Top 10 Romance Fiction for Youth 2013 (Booklist)
Emily
Mar 19, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
this is a awsome book it has everything a good Shakespeare play has along with the awsome ness of historical fiction
Roxanne Johnson
Roxanne Johnson rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2013
Shelley
Shelley rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2014
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Laird of Ballanclaire
  • Imperfect Spiral
  • Invasion
  • Still Star-Crossed
  • Nobody's Secret
  • All My Noble Dreams and Then What Happens
  • Foresight (The Gods of Fate, #1)
  • Pieces
  • How to School Your Scoundrel (A Princess In Hiding, #3)
  • The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3)
  • The Great War: Stories Inspired by Items from the First World War
  • Manicpixiedreamgirl
  • The Fire Horse Girl
  • Down and Out in Beverly Heels
  • The Counterfeit Family Tree of Vee Crawford-Wong
  • The Storm Witch (Dhulyn and Parno, #3)
  • The Disgrace of Kitty Grey
  • Ill Met by Moonlight (Shakespearean Fantasies, #1)