Start by marking “Alfie's Home” as Want to Read:

Alfie's Home

Published September 1st 1993 by International Healing Foundation

julio
Aug 12, 2014 julio rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: the litter box
no, being sexually abused will not make you gay.

description

no, the cure is not for your father to take you into his previously barren lap to touch you and talk to you to make up for all the touching and the talking he denied you when you were little.

just... no.

kids: crazy white men with degrees are still crazy white men. do not read their books.

no matter how colorful the pictures.

not even gay people can agree on what being "gay" means; why would you trust the guy who thinks hugging makes you stop wantin
Merary
WHAT. THE. FUCK???!!!
This is a children's book? WHAT???!!
Who in their right mind wrote this piece shit?

*searches author*
Oh, that's really nice. A "homosexuality-healer" and an "ex-gay". Really, really nice. BULLSHIT!! I call bullshit on you, Mr. Richard A. Cohen!! You can't "cure" homosexuality, you know why? BECAUSE IT'S NOT A FUCKING DISEASE, DAMMIT!!

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so this kid is upset that his parents are fighting. His mother spills all her problems o
~♡Sushi♡~
Feb 01, 2012 ~♡Sushi♡~ rated it did not like it
This book disturbs be more than any horror movie could ever hope to. I am questioning the mental state the author might have been in while writing this.
Trisha Harrington
OMFG! This video shows the book being read.

I was going to ignore this. I really was. But this is sick. I can't believe something like this is even out there. And the worst part, in my opinion anyway, is it's aimed at children and there are people out there who are supporting this book and say it sends a good message to children. I just... I have no idea what to say about that.

John Egbert
May 03, 2011 John Egbert rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Sexually abused teenagers questioning their sexuality
Now, I usually don't read childrens books. However, this was brought to my attention when I was searching google for the lyrics to Josh Kelly and Melissa Etheridge's duet. I typed "Now I realize", because that is the beginning of the chorus, and google suggested "Now I realize I'm not gay". Usually, I could have cared less, but since google was giving me this suggestion and I had never searched this term before it meant that it was a popular search.

So, my curiosity got the best of me and I click
Taylor
Feb 07, 2013 Taylor marked it as dafuq-is-this
Amazon blurb:

"Alfie lives in a seemingly happy home with his parents, brother, and sister, but his father is always working and yells a lot. Uncle Pete comes to stay with them and gives Alfie attention, including unwanted sexual attention, calling it their "special secret". As Alfie grows into a teen, he is teased about being gay. Finally, he goes to a counselor who tells him he isn't gay and that he just missed his father's love and was taught wrong things by his uncle. The same man talks to Al
Sara
I wish there was a way to give negative reviews, I really do.

I read about this one on cracked.com, checked out a dramatic reading because who can say no to dramatic readings, and...

Where do I even begin?

Creepy molestation scene, more unfortunate implications that you can shake a stick at, the molester being WAY too easily forgiven, the word "faggot" in big letters on a bright gold background, and probably more I'm forgetting. Oh, and did I mention this is a CHILDREN'S BOOK? As in, kids read this
Anna Kļaviņa
This book it's hateful, misleading, anti-gay propaganda. Here a YouTuber reads it aloud http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byabfS...

Wart Hill
Mar 07, 2014 Wart Hill rated it did not like it
What the fuck is this shit!?!

And why did no one call the cops on the pedo uncle!?!
Joansie
Nov 07, 2012 Joansie rated it did not like it
I don't know what's worse about this book. The fact that it is poorly written and is a perfect example of how not to write a children's book or the fact that everything written in it is true to the writer.

If you've read exerts from Richard A Cohen's other books or, if you've looked up his life story, you'd know that he actually does think that homosexuality comes about due to being neglected and/or abused. I think it's bad enough that adults struggle to accept their sexuality thus sitting throu
Sandra
From the Amazon blurb:

Elena
Oct 19, 2013 Elena rated it did not like it
Shelves: do-not-read
Wat.

How does this exist. HOW.

This book was awful. My dead dog could have written something better than this.
Literally.

It doesn't make any sense.
The protagonist, Alfie, is more concerned with the fact that he might be gay, but doesn't do crap about the fact that he was molested by his uncle.

HOW DOES THAT WORK?!

And then Alfie's mother is showering her kid with her problems.
Plus his own dad verbally abuses him.

AND IT ALL GETS SOLVED BY A COUPLE OF THERAPY SESSIONS.
BY THE MAGICAL NEGRO.
(OF COURSE!)
Kerri (Book Hoarder)
Mar 28, 2014 Kerri (Book Hoarder) rated it did not like it
If I could give this book negative stars, I really would.

This book is disgusting and blatantly homophobic, along with drawing non-existant correlations between being gay and - of-fucking-course - pedophilia.

It was published twenty-one years ago, and I know that things have changed. Not enough to mean that people don't believe in this sort of crap anymore, though, and that makes me sad and angry.
Britta ★ Nachteule ★
Aug 10, 2014 Britta ★ Nachteule ★ rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: a bonfire
Shelves: wtf
Adrianamae, Marco's fan
Aug 11, 2014 Adrianamae, Marco's fan rated it did not like it
The story starts by telling us that even though everyone thinks they are a happy family, they are not.

Why, you ask? Well, it’s because the father works a lot and comes home and screams A LOT! That’s repeated twice, so I guess the father is just a screamer. In the meantime, the mother cries. That’s also repeated twice, so I guess the mother is a crier.

Another thing that Mom is –she’s an idiot, and a lousy mother. Mom cries because she doesn’t know what to do even though Mom could go to a counsel
Stella
Feb 08, 2014 Stella rated it did not like it
What the fuck is this shit? The way the author normalizes, excuses, and forgives male rape is grossly offensive and inexcusable. Also, the homophobic undertones leave a really shitty taste in my mouth. Not to mention that the artworks look as if somebody drew them on their opposite hand. So yeah, one fucking star.
Penumbra
Aug 11, 2014 Penumbra rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE!
I don't even need to read this to know this is sick, sick, sick! I want to puke. How the hell did this ever get published???
Zero vi Britannia
According to this book, if you were molested as a child, the molester just needs to apologize and everything will be okay.

Debbie McGowan
Aug 11, 2014 Debbie McGowan rated it did not like it
Just no.
Bookwatcher
Aug 12, 2014 Bookwatcher marked it as no
Shelves: wtf
The book blurb seems a joke... It's real? I mean, REALLY? Someone wrote a shit like this SHIT?

Alfie lives in a seemingly happy home with his parents, brother, and sister, but his father is always working and yells a lot. Uncle Pete comes to stay with them and gives Alfie attention, including unwanted sexual attention, calling it their ``special secret.'' As Alfie grows into a teen, he is teased about being gay. Finally, he goes to a counselor who tells him he isn't gay and that he just missed h
Annette Ruane
Dec 02, 2013 Annette Ruane rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I randomly chose this book in the library to read, to my surprise it was an anti-homosexual book. Who writes anti-homosexual book for children? Not that I believe that this kind of material is okay for adults but it is especially not okay for children in my opinion. Why teach kids that being gay is something that can be cured. My favorite fact about the author is that he has a counseling psychology and is also a board hypnotherapist. I guess everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, even if the ...more
Teodora Kostova
Aug 10, 2014 Teodora Kostova rated it did not like it
This is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin! As a parent I'm absolutely outraged this is even published and depicts child molestation in such a light way! Don't even get me started on the homosexuality angle.
I am disgusted with everyone involved in the making of this book. Shame on you.
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
Aug 11, 2014 Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books) marked it as may-be-never-tbr-mm
A utter nonsense Parenting guide for homophobic and ignorant parents.*Smirk*
Now GR don't go flagging on this.This is the result of a blurb.
Shannon
Jun 30, 2014 Shannon rated it did not like it
If I could id destroy every copy of this book I would.
Horrible book.
Sunne
Aug 11, 2014 Sunne rated it did not like it
Actually - you can "read" this "book" online, there are people who have taken picutres and have written their opinions about it online.
So....I actually have read this and I'm so very disturbed by it, I don't find words. There is so much wrong with the whole book, I don't know where to start. Alfie's parents fight, his mom uses him as his emotional outlet by piling all her problems on him, his uncle abuses him, as a teenager kids call him gay, he suddenly has a counselor who tells him that he la
Dee
Aug 12, 2014 Dee rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Shelves: not-for-me
This is just wrong. How it made it to print, I will never understand.
Plainbrownwrapper
Aug 24, 2014 Plainbrownwrapper rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-interested
Oh, spare me. Considering that the blurb from one of Cohen's other books says "Richard Cohen, a former homosexual, now married with three children, struggled for most of his life with unwanted same-sex attractions", it's not difficult to see the agenda here. Follow that up with this quote from wikipedia -- "he later joined the Unification Church[...]. In 1982, Cohen married Jae Sook, a South Korean woman suggested to him by church leader Sun Myung Moon."

Yes, folks, he's not only "ex-gay" but a f
Tara♥
Aug 12, 2014 Tara♥ marked it as i-weep-for-humanity
Ummm I know I said that I was not going to ever give words to this kind of drivel but this is actually really upsetting and the reviews alone have seriously made me nauseous. I cannot begin to imagine what would go through someones mind in order to create something so horrific. I'm pretty sure that some major psychological issues are to play but even that is no excuse as someone then published and distributed it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Correct, Not Politically Correct: How Same-Sex Marriage Hurts Everyone
  • Defending Marriage: Twelve Arguments for Sanity
  • Taltos II (Las brujas de Mayfair #3)
  • Ready & Willing
  • Kaden's Breeder
  • People to Be Loved: Why Homosexuality Is Not Just an Issue
  • A Queer Thing Happened to America: And What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been
  • Same-Sex Marriage: A Thoughtful Approach to God's Design for Marriage
  • Gay and Catholic: Accepting My Sexuality, Finding Community, Living My Faith
  • When September Ends (September #2)
  • We Cannot Be Silent: Speaking Truth to a Culture Redefining Sex, Marriage, and the Very Meaning of Right and Wrong
  • 9 Lives (Undying Love, #2)