Alfie's Home

1.38 of 5 stars 1.38  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Published September 1st 1993 by International Healing Foundation

Merary
WHAT. THE. FUCK???!!!
This is a children's book? WHAT???!!
Who in their right mind wrote this piece shit?

*searches author*
Oh, that's really nice. A "homosexuality-healer" and an "ex-gay". Really, really nice. BULLSHIT!! I call bullshit on you, Mr. Richard A. Cohen!! You can't "cure" homosexuality, you know why? BECAUSE IT'S NOT A FUCKING DISEASE, DAMMIT!!

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so this kid is upset that his parents are fighting. His mother spills all her problems o...more
~♡Sushi♡~
This book disturbs be more than any horror movie could ever hope to. I am questioning the mental state the author might have been in while writing this.
John Egbert
May 03, 2011 John Egbert rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sexually abused teenagers questioning their sexuality
Now, I usually don't read childrens books. However, this was brought to my attention when I was searching google for the lyrics to Josh Kelly and Melissa Etheridge's duet. I typed "Now I realize", because that is the beginning of the chorus, and google suggested "Now I realize I'm not gay". Usually, I could have cared less, but since google was giving me this suggestion and I had never searched this term before it meant that it was a popular search.

So, my curiosity got the best of me and I click...more
Taylor
Feb 07, 2013 Taylor marked it as dafuq-is-this
Amazon blurb:

"Alfie lives in a seemingly happy home with his parents, brother, and sister, but his father is always working and yells a lot. Uncle Pete comes to stay with them and gives Alfie attention, including unwanted sexual attention, calling it their "special secret". As Alfie grows into a teen, he is teased about being gay. Finally, he goes to a counselor who tells him he isn't gay and that he just missed his father's love and was taught wrong things by his uncle. The same man talks to Al...more
Sara
I wish there was a way to give negative reviews, I really do.

I read about this one on cracked.com, checked out a dramatic reading because who can say no to dramatic readings, and...

Where do I even begin?

Creepy molestation scene, more unfortunate implications that you can shake a stick at, the molester being WAY too easily forgiven, the word "faggot" in big letters on a bright gold background, and probably more I'm forgetting. Oh, and did I mention this is a CHILDREN'S BOOK? As in, kids read this...more
Anna  Matsuyama
This book it's hateful, misleading, anti-gay propaganda. Here a YouTuber reads it aloud http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byabfS...

Joansie
I don't know what's worse about this book. The fact that it is poorly written and is a perfect example of how not to write a children's book or the fact that everything written in it is true to the writer.

If you've read exerts from Richard A Cohen's other books or, if you've looked up his life story, you'd know that he actually does think that homosexuality comes about due to being neglected and/or abused. I think it's bad enough that adults struggle to accept their sexuality thus sitting throu...more
Sandra
From the Amazon blurb:

Elena
Wat.

How does this exist. HOW.

This book was awful. My dead dog could have written something better than this.
Literally.

It doesn't make any sense.
The protagonist, Alfie, is more concerned with the fact that he might be gay, but doesn't do crap about the fact that he was molested by his uncle.

HOW DOES THAT WORK?!

And then Alfie's mother is showering her kid with her problems.
Plus his own dad verbally abuses him.

AND IT ALL GETS SOLVED BY A COUPLE OF THERAPY SESSIONS.
BY THE MAGICAL NEGRO.
(OF COURSE!)...more
Stella
What the fuck is this shit? The way the author normalizes, excuses, and forgives male rape is grossly offensive and inexcusable. Also, the homophobic undertones leave a really shitty taste in my mouth. Not to mention that the artworks look as if somebody drew them on their opposite hand. So yeah, one fucking star.
Zero vi Britannia
According to this book, if you were molested as a child, the molester just needs to apologize and everything will be okay.

Annette Ruane
I randomly chose this book in the library to read, to my surprise it was an anti-homosexual book. Who writes anti-homosexual book for children? Not that I believe that this kind of material is okay for adults but it is especially not okay for children in my opinion. Why teach kids that being gay is something that can be cured. My favorite fact about the author is that he has a counseling psychology and is also a board hypnotherapist. I guess everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, even if the...more
Kerri (Book Hoarder)
If I could give this book negative stars, I really would.

This book is disgusting and blatantly homophobic, along with drawing non-existant correlations between being gay and - of-fucking-course - pedophilia.

It was published twenty-one years ago, and I know that things have changed. Not enough to mean that people don't believe in this sort of crap anymore, though, and that makes me sad and angry.
Anggilaaa
Buku anak kontroversi!! saya baca buku ini dari postingan penulis Clara Ng.. di Amerika sana buku ini dipakai aktivis anti gay.

ceritanya si Alfie adalah anak broken home, ortunya sering bertengkar, Ayahya jarang ada di rumah. Saat itu dia sering kedatangan pamannya, kebetulan pamannya sangat baik sama Alfie, ia merasa sangat dicintai.. suatu malam Alfie tidur bersama pamannya dan pamannya menyentuh penisnya.. Alfie merasa itu adalah rasa dicintai.

saat sudah remaja Alfie sering dibully "sissy/ga...more
Catherine
Hilariously awful and best used as an example of how the relationship between homosexuality and childhood sexual abuse are often conflated and then taught. Best to be laughed at with friends!
April
Oct 04, 2013 April marked it as to-read
This book is apparently written about how you can cure homosexuality and has caused much...anger.
Wart Hill
What the fuck is this shit!?!

And why did no one call the cops on the pedo uncle!?!
Pon
One word: why.
Virushunter
This must be a joke, so I give it three stars because I can't tell whether I think it is a good or bad joke. I'm actually leaning more towards good because it has apparently stirred up a ton of shit. The drawings, the fact that it's about molestation and sexuality in a children's book and too many other things to list give it an almost surreal feel to it.

Good work (I think) Mr. Cohen. You are either a complete kook or a god of trolls.
Darkuria
The worst book I've ever read, just because it has only 30 pages I could finish it, it's so disgusting, don't read it if you want to keep the classic horror icons as legends.

By the way, goodreads should have a negative stars system, giving this shit one star really hurts me.
Shannon
If I could id destroy every copy of this book.
Horrible book.
Marnie
This book is awfull! But does anyone know if it's a catholic book or something? Because they basically said it's bad to be gay....
Darla
Darla marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Pazau
Pazau marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Riin Kagamine
Riin Kagamine marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Ma Dâm dê
Ma Dâm dê marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Linh
Linh added it
Jun 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Coming Out Straight: Understanding and Healing Homosexuality Writer's Mind: Crafting Fiction Ethics, Exegesis and Philosophy: Interpretation After Levinas Gay Children, Straight Parents: A Plan For Family Healing Straight Talk About Homosexuality: The Other Side of Tolerance