Start by marking “Primates: The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas” as Want to Read:

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  4,727 Ratings  ·  552 Reviews
Jim Ottaviani returns with an action-packed account of the three greatest primatologists of the last century: Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas. These three ground-breaking researchers were all students of the great Louis Leakey, and each made profound contributions to primatology—and to our own understanding of ourselves.

Tackling Goodall, Fossey, and Galdikas
Published June 11th 2013 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Primates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Primates

Jessica
Jul 22, 2013 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: gn
So many mixed feelings about this book.

I'll start with the good:
Yay! Women scientists! At times funny and fascinating. I learned things. I had no idea that Louis Leakey helped secure the funding for Dian Fossey and Jane Goodall and got them their starts in field research. I had never heard of Galdikas or her research with Orangutans. I learned about their significant findings that shook the scientific world: chimpanzees using tools and orangutans walking on the ground. The significance of thei
First Second Books
Jun 11, 2013 First Second Books marked it as first-second-publications
One of the questions that we frequently get asked about this book is: is it nonfiction?

The answer is: it’s difficult to tell!

Primates is ostensibly a nonfiction biography about three different women who work with primates – Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Birute Galdikas. It tells about their lives and their work, and the author and the illustrator both did a lot of research and endeavored to be as faithful as possible to the historical realities of their subjects.

So, why is it difficult to tell
Roya
Mar 03, 2017 Roya rated it it was ok
Recommended to Roya by: Negin
Shelves: not-for-me
A perfect example of a good idea that's poorly executed. Things ended on a vague note and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Is it or isn't it nonfiction? This book (I believe) set out to make people more aware of female scientists, but in the end I was left not knowing what was true and what wasn't.
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
So, my little sister was reading this and I picked it up last night because it looked cute and interesting––so then I went and read the whole thing, of course.

I already knew a bit about Jane Goodall and Dian Fossey, but I don't think I'd ever heard of Biruté Galdikas. This book is a fascinating look into all of their lives and the fearless and groundbreaking work they did. I really loved the artwork, it's really adorable.

For the most part, I liked how it was written. However, there were a few c
Karen
I so wanted to love this book! The artwork is fantastic, and the three scientists (Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Birute Galdikas) come across as individual personalities, each admirable, tough, and dedicated in her own way.

Unfortunately, as other reviewers have pointed out, there are some problems. My biggest beef is the parroted belief of Louis Leakey that women are better in the field because they're "more perceptive and more patient than men." It would be nice if there was anything here to c
Seth T.
May 01, 2013 Seth T. rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics

Primates by Jim Ottaviani and Maris Wicks

When my daughter was two, we watched a lot of David Attenborough documentaries. Planet Earth especially. She named the polar bear trio in the first episode after her, her mother, and her infant brother—I, the papa bear, was at the office. One of our favourites though was an episode of The Life of Mammals that we found on Netflix called "Social Climbers." It's all about monkeys and it's amazing to watch. I know all kinds of animals are smart and use tools and surprise us constantly with their ing

Wanda
When I put a hold on this book through my public library, I had no idea that it was a graphic novel meant for teenagers. All that registered for me was that it was a new book about my personal hero, Jane Goodall, as well as two other admired women, Dian Fossey and Birute Galikas.

It is a graphic novel, so it doesn't take long to read--maybe an hour or so. I would consider it to be a gentle introduction to the work done by three indomitable women for those who are unfamiliar with it.

I guess becaus
Lauren
Primates is an ambitious book that largely succeeds at giving a "slice of life" look to three amazing scientists and their contributions to primatology.

Birute Galdikas, Jane Goodall, and Dian Fossey in the field

I was familiar with Goodall and Fossey, but I confess to have never read about Galdikas, and I am grateful for the opportunity to learn more about her work here. Each of these women were selected by Dr. Louis Leakey, premier anthropologist to study and observe in the field. Goodall and F
Elizabeth A
Jul 06, 2015 Elizabeth A rated it really liked it
When I was in primary school, we had to read a book titled "Great Men and Women". Do I need to mention that Gandhi was the only person of color in the book? At least there were two women: Marie Curie and Florence Nightingale. I am glad that times have changed in that respect, and that young people can find books that are somewhat more representative today.

In my home the name Leakey was used as often as the name Kardashian seems to be used by the media today, so imagine my delight in learning th
Sesana
Oct 03, 2016 Sesana rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I was mostly enjoying reading this, even though it could be really choppy in places and the perspective shifts could have been handled better. But then I get to the note at the end. So it's partially fiction? But you won't say which part? Fair or not, that left a sour taste.
Mickie
Jul 16, 2013 Mickie rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
After LOVING Feynman my teens (boys aged 18/15) and I were really excited to find this book.

But we all were frustrated and confused by it.

The kids (who have little to no knowledge of these women) found the narrator switch confusing and were left with lots of questions that were never answered(what did Birute sit in that hurt her? Why did Jane hike naked? What was the point of the card test? What bridge is Birute referring to with Jane? What happened to Dian?). They also didn't "get" how what th
Amy Rae
The movie Gorillas in the Mist is one that will always be special to me--I remember watching it with my mother, who liked it a great deal. So I was excited from the start to read a book that included Dian Fossey's life, and for the most part, I wasn't disappointed.

This is a beautifully coloured graphic novel, with dot-eyed heroines that remind me a little of Tintin. (The roommate points out that the overall style is a little too complicated to be true ligne clair, but I think there's some inspir
Janet
Jun 30, 2015 Janet rated it really liked it
My third graphic novel, very entertaining and informative. This is a book that never would have been on my radar had it not been a selection for Booktopia Petoskey 2015.
Now I want to read this author's earlier work, Feynman
I wracked my brain because I knew I had heard of Louis Leakey before. Was it in that wonderful fictional account of Margaret Mead called Euphoria?...no, hmmmm, or maybe that Hanya Yanagihara anthropological themed The People in the Trees??....nope, not that either....so I goog
Preeti
Jun 11, 2013 Preeti rated it really liked it
It's pretty sad (on my part) that I'd never heard of Biruté Galdikas before learning about this book. I'll have to correct that in the next year or so. Of course, I "know" Jane Goodall (love her) as well as Dian Fossey (I've seen Gorillas in the Mist and have the book on my to-read list).

This book is geared towards younger audiences, but because of the subject matter and the fact that it was a comic, I had to check it out. The art is beautiful - it's simple and cute, and some of the scenes are j
Vincent Desjardins
This slim graphic novel might serve as an introduction to the work of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey and Birute Galdikas but it is really too short to do justice to the ground-breaking work these women accomplished. The book’s subtitle is “The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey and Birute Galdikas,” but the book isn’t so much about the science as it is about the roads they took and the battles they fought to do their studies. On another note, I wasn’t crazy about the art. The human charact ...more
Claudia
I know of Goodall's work, and Fossey's. I know something about their research and temperments. But Galkikas? Nothing. Three women under the thrall of Louis Leakey...and held in great suspicion by Mrs. Leakey. They all were inspired to go study primates: chimps, gorillas, orangutans. In their native land. Leakey thought, sexist that he was (and philanderer??) that women were more suited for this kind of field work because they were more patient...and these three were, to an extent.

Goodall seems t
Raina
Jul 22, 2015 Raina rated it really liked it
Sweet combo-bio piece about three women who really like watching animals. And not as evolution-focused as I expected.

As someone who's very interested in how various industries work, I loved the behind-the-scenes on HOW Jane Goodall got to the chimps. Apparently, there was this anthropologist who sent/funded these ladies to go watch monkeys - for years at a time.

I loved the way this portrayed the study of animals - many of us love to watch birds, or our pets, or animals at the zoo. And as long a
Adan
Oct 09, 2015 Adan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty good book about three remarkable scientists who studied apes around the world. I wish there had been a bit more science to complement the personal stories like in Ottaviani's other books. This could have easily been three longer books, one on each woman.
David Schaafsma
May 30, 2014 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
I hadn't liked T MInus, I had liked his Feynman (though didn't like Feynman himself as depicted in the book), shut when Primates showed up I didn't think I would read it… but this story is great, maybe especially for girls, and is maybe an encouragement for girls to get involved in science, animals, wildlife study and ecology. It's the story of three women who became famous for working with, living with, developing close relationships with, and researching primates: Jane Goodall with chimpanzees ...more
Dani Shuping
Feb 25, 2013 Dani Shuping rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Little was understood about primates prior to 1950. While many researchers tried to understand and observe them they all failed and came back frustrated and dejected or with misinformation. And then....three women, Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas, all students of Louis Leaky, changed everything that we knew about primates and changed what we understood about ourselves. This book weaves a story and introduces the reader to the woman and their work...and leaves us wanting more.

For m
Erica
Dec 08, 2012 Erica rated it really liked it
** Reviewed for Netgalley.com, Electronic Advanced Reader copy provided through NetGalley by the publisher **
I loved this book! The three life stories of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas are told in one fascinating graphic novel. Each individual woman's story is told, how they each became interested and came to work with their respective primates. One figure, Louis Leaky, seemed to have played a role in all of their lives, the passion for their interest and work was recognized by t
Dan
Primates: The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas offers the readers a beautiful introduction to three amazing scientist who changed the way we look at primatology, conservation, and the very woozy line between the human animal divide. Jim Ottaviani does an outstanding job of tying the narrative arc of the story through anthropologist Louis Leakey, who helped all three women get into their fields of expertise. Maris Wick's artwork is phenomenally vibrant throughout ...more
Anne
Nov 16, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
This was a wonderfully fun introduction into the lives of these three outstanding women. As several other people have mentioned, it's not technically a nonfiction biography but does contain the basic facts about these women and their incredible devotion to their science. It also has a very helpful appendix that lists websites, books and articles for further discovery.

For me, one of the most interesting things was the belief held by Dr. Leakey that women were more patient and more suited to the p
Naomi
Feb 17, 2015 Naomi rated it liked it
The art is charming and the writing is, too. I'd have loved a little more in-depth look at what it meant to be a white woman setting up camp in primarily non-white places--it touches on Fossey's tactlessness, but doesn't examine other angles. I had no idea who Louis Leakey was, or that he connected these three scientists. I wish the book had also been a little more explicit about his sexism instead of just regurgitating it.
Elizabeth
Captivating introduction and ode into the lives of three rock-stars of the primatology world. Their tireless patience and skills of observation helped bring an awareness to the plight of mountain gorillas, orangutans, and chimpanzees. LOVED.

Amanda
Nov 16, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
An informative and interesting read about three pioneers in primates research and conservation. Highly recommended for grades 4 and up studying primates, wildlife conservation and fans of all things animal.
Linda
Jun 16, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
Recommended to Linda by: Booktopia Petoskey 2015 author
Brief easily read graphic nonfiction representing three women who studied primates in Africa under Dr. Richard Leakey. I knew about Jane Goodall, the murder of Dian Fossey, but never heard of Biruté Galdikas. Once again proof that graphic books just aren't for kids.
Debbie
Aug 11, 2013 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fic
I absolutely *loved* this book. As a scientist nerd, reading about all three of these amazing women in one place was nirvana. My only concern is that being cataloged as YA non-fiction will spell doom for this fascinating work.
Simone Carter
Nov 29, 2016 Simone Carter rated it really liked it
This book is about the interesting stores about Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey,and Birute Galdikas studied on primates.This book is a comic,and fiction about these real people. I personal think this book was interesting and fun because this help me understand what the charters are going through and help me understand why they do what they do and since its in a comic I colorful and fun helps me stay interested in the book with its colors. (Many *Spoilers* in the next paragraphs so be ready.)
The book i
Wandering Librarians
The true stories of three scientists who changed the way we think about primates forever. Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey and Birute Galdikas were all recruited by anthropologist Louis Leakey and set out, with little to no training or background, on field research that would result in discoveries that advanced our understanding of the link between humans and primates.

Another triumph from First Second! Seriously, can they do anything wrong? I don't think I've read anything from First Second that I have
  • The Great American Dust Bowl
  • Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller
  • War Brothers: The Graphic Novel
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Donner Dinner Party (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #3)
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • Human Body Theater
  • Bluffton: My Summers with Buster Keaton
  • Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb
  • Zombie Makers: True Stories of Nature's Undead
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • Shackleton: Antarctic Odyssey
  • Parrots Over Puerto Rico
  • Strange Fruit, Volume 1: Uncelebrated Narratives from Black History
  • Who Says Women Can't Be Doctors?: The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell (Christy Ottaviano Books)
  • Galapagos George
  • Fairy Tale Comics: Classic Tales Told by Extraordinary Cartoonists
  • How to Fake a Moon Landing: Exposing the Myths of Science Denial
  • Eruption! Volcanoes and the Science of Saving Lives
I've worked in news agencies and golf courses in the Chicagoland area, nuclear reactors in the U.S. and Japan, and libraries in Michigan. I still work as a librarian by day, but stay up late writing comics about scientists. When I'm not doing those things, I'm spraining my ankles and flattening my feet by running on trails. Or I'm reading. I read a lot.
More about Jim Ottaviani...