Start by marking “Astronaut Academy: Re-entry” as Want to Read:
Astronaut Academy: Re-entry

Astronaut Academy: Re-entry (Astronaut Academy #2)

The wild and wacky world of Astronaut Academy is back! It's spring semester at this futuristic institution of learning, and Hakata Soy has lost his heart. Literally. And he's not the only one . . . something  is stalking the halls of Astronaut Academy, impersonating the crush-objects of students and making off with their extra hearts!  With a sprawling cast of unforgettabl ...more
Published May 14th 2013 by First Second

First Second Books
May 17, 2013 First Second Books marked it as first-second-publications
Here's something you should know about this book: the cover is shiny. Like, really, really shiny. You can't tell in the picture, but it's actually gold! foil! So that's pretty exciting for us.

The thing that Dave Roman's Astronaut Academy series reminds me the most of is Louis Sachar's Wayside School books. They're all about a crazy group of kids -- who are in a school -- and have mysterious, funny, fascinating adventures and interactions.

No one makes student-flavored ice cream in these books,
Carla A
Jun 23, 2013 Carla A rated it it was ok
I am clearly not the intended audience for this book. I think the story is kind of sweet but it just goes on forever and I wished it would cut to the chase. I am sure it will be beloved but not by me.
Bria
Aug 01, 2013 Bria rated it really liked it
I love you, but I'm not IN love with you. I love the vastness of SPACE ITSELF.
Terry Cross
Mar 17, 2017 Terry Cross rated it it was ok
Dave Roman provides a sporadic read with the adventures of Hakata Soy in Astronaut Academy: Re-Entry. The character Hakata Soy returns for Spring semester to the fictitious space station that trains pre-teens, or tweenies, to become future astronauts. The space station would seem to be under attack by a shape shifting heart eating creature that fools its victims by disguising itself as the victim's secret crush.

None of the victims die necessarily since all the characters seem to have more than o
Vale
Jan 23, 2017 Vale rated it really liked it
It was a good book but it left me with the impression that it needed a continuing story.
So,Please writer make Austronaut Academy N3. :D
Rach
Dec 11, 2013 Rach rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2013
Another super-fun book. I once again really enjoyed how each little story, told from a different kid's perspective, interconnects to the next. This one especially felt interconnected, even more like we were seeing a complete story arc, just from different angles.

I liked this one even more than the first one, maybe because I know the characters better and appreciate seeing their deeper connections. This is such a great book for kids because it emphasizes the importance of forgiving people and be
Nicole
Apr 07, 2013 Nicole rated it it was ok
First Second, 2013
Graphic Novel: Science Fiction
190 pages
Recommended for grades 3-6

Students at Astronaut Academy are at risk of losing their hearts to a monster disguised to be the object of their hearts' desire. So, to protect the hearts of the students, falling in love is banned. There is a lot of loving and losing in this story, which is funny considering the book appears to be geared towards young boy readers...not sure if they care about falling in love yet.

Things I appreciates: Roman is a
Amy
Jul 03, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
I didn't think a sequel could be as good as Roman's first Astronaut Academy graphic novel, ASTRONAUT ACADEMY: ZERO GRAVITY, which I found a lovely and hilarious book for young readers and a great starter book for readers interested in the graphic novel genre. However, ASTRONAUT ACADEMY: RE-ENTRY continues the experience of a fun and wholesome graphic novel geared to kids, complete with references to video games, anime, and sci-fi. And Roman has introduced my favorite characters in the Astronaut ...more
Dani Shuping
Feb 25, 2013 Dani Shuping rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is the second volume in the Astronaut Academy series, and Hakata Soy and gang are back for more fun and adventure in this Spring semester. There’s a new trouble brewing in the school as someone...or something is stalking the halls of the academy, impersonating other students, and making of with their extra hearts! Will the students be able to survive and recover their extra hearts...or are they doomed to only have one.

This book was definitely easier for me to read than the first one as ther
M.
Oct 01, 2013 M. rated it really liked it
Book 2 of the Astronaut Academy series, graphic novel, 4th or 5th grade and up.

Hakata Soy, ex-super hero, is back at school after semester break. So, unfortunately, is a monster who shifts his appearance to look like various students' love interests and then steals and literally eats their hearts. (As each student has several hearts, this is serious but not fatal.) The administration has forbidden any love interests at all but has not managed to catch the monster. Hakata and friends try it their
Dolly
Oct 29, 2015 Dolly rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: children who enjoy reading graphic novels
We really got into reading graphic novels this last summer, and it seemed that every one that I reviewed here led me to another series or individual novel. It really has been fun reading them along with our girls and comparing our favorites.

Unfortunately, this series was not one of them. I borrowed Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity along with this book because they'd been highly recommended.

I really had a hard time getting into both stories (although the first book flows into the other, similar
William Lopez
Jun 19, 2016 William Lopez rated it it was amazing
Astronaut Academy Re-entry was an interesting book, because it is based on a school that takes place in outer space. This book is mainly about love, but it is not a romance story. In this book, the school that the characters go to is infiltrated by a mysterious monster that wants you to fall in love with it and give it one of your hearts. So, because of this monster love is banned in the school and the students have to find a way to get it back. I gave this book five stars because it was funny ...more
Bruce
Aug 02, 2013 Bruce rated it it was amazing
Something sinister is happening at Astronaut Academy, when a student gives his or her heart, or hearts, to his or her beloved, the recipient turns into a monstrous parody of him- or herself and ruthlessly devours the heart of the giver, and not only that the big fireball tournament is heating up with arch-rival Public School Gamma Quadrant and deep between the shelves of the library evil Team Feety Pajamas is plotting terroristic mischief!

It’s another laugh out loud semester of seriously silly f
Jennifer Haight
Apr 03, 2013 Jennifer Haight rated it really liked it
I love the bubbly illustrations, the character stories, and the overall setting but found the flow of the story to have stops and starts. There are plenty of pop culture references: Sweeney Todd, Kiss, THX 1138 (George Lucas' first film) and I'm sure that there are others that I've missed. With lots of laughs, pictures that beg to be viewed more than once and some insightful moments peppered in, this is an enjoyable read.

Kendra
Jun 19, 2014 Kendra rated it liked it
As with most sequels, I didn't like it as well as the first Astronaut Academy book. For those that loved the first book, this one has a similar format with characters being introduced and then telling their part of the story. When these first person accounts are all put together they tell the story of the missing hearts and how it's effecting the students of Astronaut Academy. I think the story is a tad silly but still entertaining. C rating.
Brian McLachlan
May 12, 2016 Brian McLachlan rated it it was amazing
The first Astronaut Academy book was really solid, but book two expands the story into amazing, wholly fulfilling ways. Roman uses his world's video game logic to create a deeper story about love, control, friendship, forgiveness all while keeping it light, entertaining and super fun. Fantastic stuff!
Anoush Emrazian
May 02, 2016 Anoush Emrazian rated it really liked it
During the next semester at the Astronaut Academy a monster is running loose, imitating students and eating hearts.

With a bit more plot than the previous book, this volume is full of the same silly dialogue and fun characters. It's an enjoyably pointless book. I love the hearts and the ability to give them away or (view spoiler).
Kayla
Feb 10, 2014 Kayla rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and the series as a whole. It'a a collection of shorter stories and was easy to read in between reading other books. I can see this as a tv series on cartoon network, with the shorter stories of the different characters and the longer story line of Hakata Soy. Not to mention the artwork is adorable. I love the ending of this one.
CB
Feb 18, 2016 CB rated it it was ok
Meh. Just okay. A little funny in places, but not pulling up any trees. I wish it was in color, and I didn't enjoy the episodic nature. While there is some character development over the short stories, it just seemed overly simplistic, even for young readers. Plus, despite attempts to catch the reader up, I still felt out of sorts for not having read the first book.
P D
Dec 08, 2014 P D rated it really liked it
A sequel as cute and dynamic as the first one. I think anyone could relate to the issues in here (well, maybe not so much temporal displacement of one's parents, but that's life before space travel)—while the more romantic relationship stuff didn't apply to me at that age, that's not at all the sole focus, even if it's ramped up in this one compared to the first.
Emily
Jul 11, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
I liked this one better than the first. Still more for older children, maybe even young adults. I liked the heart monsters and many characters really developed nicely in this one. Read it on my son's very strong recommendation!
Kai Wilson
Jan 14, 2014 Kai Wilson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 25-in-25
I really love this book, it's maybe one of my favorites! The art is very good and the story connects well to the previous book in this series. I would definitely not recommend it to someone over 13 unless they like sophomoric humor.
Kelly Park
Nov 01, 2016 Kelly Park rated it it was amazing
This book was really cute and cool! I kept on reading it continuously, and finished it in about 2 hrs. The only con would be that I didn't know that this was the 2nd book, so the other one is the first book.
Nick
Jan 13, 2013 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not as good as the first book, but Dave Roman pours his love of comics and the different genres from which he pulls his creative energy onto every page. Maybe I'm just too old, definitely a book for a younger ADHD generation :)
Dolores
Sep 04, 2013 Dolores rated it really liked it
This series is such a blast. It is silly and wacky, but it boasts such a diverse cast of characters, that every reader can find themselves here-even if they are a ninja bunny. Visually, there are a wealth of fun little Easter eggs that make this a book you'd like to reread. Fun!
Mary Ann
Hakata Soy must deal with the fact that his arch-rival Rick Raven, leader of the evil Gotcha Birds, is now dating Princess Boots. Hakata has literally lost his heart, but he won’t give up hope. My students adore this zany mix of science fiction and manga, with lots of action and plenty of heart.
Lincoln
Feb 05, 2017 Lincoln rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dave-roman
awesome!
Steph
Jun 27, 2015 Steph rated it liked it
I actually liked this less than the first in the series, and I think my 3rd graders wouldn't understand some of the content and would, again, greatly miss color graphics.
Polly
Cute! The students of Astronaut Academy are being stalked by a shape changing monster that eats hearts!
Toby
Feb 22, 2014 Toby rated it it was amazing
i liked the book because its about heart monsters and more fire ball games
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Silver Six
  • Lowriders in Space (Lowriders in Space, #1)
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette #2)
  • Spelling Trouble (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #1)
  • Comics Squad: Recess! (Comics Squad, #1)
  • Tune: Still Life (Tune, #2)
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • The Great Pet Escape
  • SMASH: Trial by Fire
  • The Glorkian Warrior Delivers a Pizza
  • Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)
  • Bean Dog and Nugget: The Ball
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Donner Dinner Party (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #3)
  • Unsinkable Walker Bean, The
  • Gabby and Gator
  • The Thief and the Sword (Cleopatra in Space, #2)
  • Hippopotamister
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog: A TOON Graphic
Dave Roman is the author of several graphic novels including Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity, Teen Boat!, Jax Epoch, and Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery. He has contributed stories to Explorer: The Mystery Boxes, Nursery Rhyme Comics, and is the co-author of two New York Times bestselling graphic novels, X-Men: Misfits and The Last Airbender: Zuko’s Story. Roman is a graduate of the School of ...more
More about Dave Roman...

Astronaut Academy (2 books)
  • Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity