Start by marking “Defending the Duchess (Protecting the Crown, #2)” as Want to Read:
Defending the Duchess (Protecting the Crown, #2)

Defending the Duchess (Protecting The Crown #2)

He'll keep her safe—at any costProtecting the royal family is Linus Murati's job. So when the queen's younger sister is attacked, the devoted Lydian royal guardsman goes into action and saves her life. But this was no random occurrence. Danger has followed Julia Miller across the Atlantic from Seattle. Now Linus has two missions: to keep the maddeningly independent future ...more
Published March 5th 2013 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Defending the Duchess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defending the Duchess

The Orchid House by Lucinda RileyThe Governess of Highland Hall by Carrie TuranskyHer Fearful Symmetry by Audrey NiffeneggerA Race to Splendor by Ciji Ware1984 by George Orwell
83rd out of 127 books — 5 voters
This Duchess of Mine by Eloisa JamesThe Unexpected Duchess by Valerie BowmanThe Accidental Duchess by Madeline HunterAn American Duchess by Sharon PageDuchess by Susan May Warren
Romance Novels with Duchess in the Title
35th out of 88 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Jul 23, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
I didn't think I would enjoy this book that much. After all, it is a short book centered on romance. Well, I did enjoy it. The suspense and mystery were built up and tied up well. Rachelle McCalla did a great job weaving a light faith element into the story that is soothing, but not over powering or cheesy.
The romance was sweet, and better then I expected. However, be warned, it is based almost solely on emotion and there are about four or five kisses.
If you need a light enjoyable read, this is
Jackie (Jackie's Book World)
Nov 16, 2013 Jackie (Jackie's Book World) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone :)
Review can be found at: Jackie's Book World

*ARC courtesy of Harlequin via NetGalley*

I absolutely love this book! It's sweet and full of mystery. I like the place that Rachelle creates in the story and how an ordinary person can be sister to a Queen. Defending the Duchess is a story filled with twists that made me want to read everything at once. It was hard to put down, specially when the Queen's sister is giving a bodyguard to protect her. At first it was just his duty to protect her and the r
Jan 16, 2016 Judy rated it it was amazing
Defending the Duchess by Rachelle McCalla
Protecting the Crown Suspense Series Book 1
Linus Murati is proud to be a Lydian guard, just like his grandfather had been. The new Queen, Monica, has her sister visiting from America and Linus has been assigned as her bodyguard. Easy enough, he thought. Only not so, someone was after the future duchess and as a professional, Linus knew he shouldn’t be noticing how beautiful she is or how much he enjoys being around her. He is only there to protect her.

Mar 03, 2013 Rhonda rated it it was amazing

I got this book and a few hours later I had finshed it. Now I want to read the books that are in Reclaiming the Crown Series. Defending the Duchess is the first book in the new The Protecting the Crown series that follows Reclaiming the Crown.
Julia Miller is visiting her sister the Queen Monica of Lydia. She is not used to having a bodyguard follow her around all the time. So Julia tells Linus Murati that she is in for the night. Then changes to shorts and heads out of the Palace.
Linus s
Feb 19, 2013 Kara rated it really liked it
Rated 4.5 stars
Protecting the Crown: The royal guardsmen serve their country with honor and integrity.

My Review
I saw this book mentioned recently on Seekerville or on facebook (or both) and the title immediately grabbed my interest. What is it like to protect someone? Is it worth the dangers that come with the job? Julia doesn’t even realize she’s a duchess yet when the story begins, but her sister is the Queen of Lydia and trouble has already been brewing for this family. Julia is instantly ass
Ashley Dawn
Jan 28, 2013 Ashley Dawn rated it it was amazing
I loved this one. Linus is a member of the Royal Guard. His job is to protect the new queen's sister, the Duchess. Julia is a lawyer and has traveled to support her sister in her new role as Queen. It seems she has brought trouble with her and it is Linus job to keep her safe. When she is attacked, neither understand the reasons or how deep the danger is.
I liked both of the leading characters. Juila's thoughts for her family and especially her sister's well being and safety were just great. Linu
Apr 01, 2013 June rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I LOVED this one. Rachelle McCalla has given us another awesome Lydian kingdom story. This time we have Julia the sister of Queen Monica going to Lydia to see her sister. She is guarded by Linus who falls in love with her pretty much right away but he has secrets that keep him from being able to do anything other than guard her. And guard her he must as someone is after her.

This story was full of drama and suspense. Who is after Julia? What will happen when Linus comes up for review and
Feb 06, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
Protecting The Crown series. Follows the Reclaiming the Crown Series. This book is about Julia and Royal Guard Linus. I do enjoy the Love Inspired series. Just when I thought things would be safe, there is another reason for Linus to Protect Julia!

I have the large print books so get through them quite fast!
Apr 18, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
It was a good story. I liked the way Linus paid attention to Julia's needs. He always puts her needs ahead of his own even if its something as simple as her liking milk in her coffee. Very good read. :)
May 08, 2013 Nina rated it it was amazing
Like the rest in this well written series, has lots of action, great characters, wonderful scenes, great read, loved it.
Jun 04, 2013 Mistyblue rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I love the Lydia books. This one delighted just as all the others have.
Apr 08, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-inspired
I love the Lydia series - keep them coming Rachelle! :)
Apr 05, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just not as good as the base series. Still good. I think what the base series had that this book did not was a sense from the characters of a purpose bigger than themselves- e.g. to each of the main characters in those books, saving the monarchy/county was more important than their own safety and was behind everything they did. This book didn't have very many subplots, only Monica's secret (which everyone guessed, even the characters). I would have liked to have seen more development of the char ...more
Ginny Lurcock
I have to admit, Im not the biggest fan of Christian romance. It just lacks a bit of the err passion that I enjoy between the leads of a story. Its not to say the stories arent good. Goodness no. Its just that the characters are a bit too well nice.

Typically I like my characters to have a few rougher edges.

Which this story has.

Kind of.

Linus (*gigglesnort*) has a rather rough and tumble history that the story touches on slightly. Julia is, well, okay shes sweet as pie. The mystery well that has a
Jun 03, 2013 IrenesBookReviews rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5/5 stars. I liked the main character of Linus. He was written very well and his personality was likeable and believable. I especially enjoyed how the relationship between the soon to be Duchess Julia, and her bodyguard Linus, developed in the story. It was not unbelievable that they were attracted to each other right away. From the run on the beach to the incident at the hotel, the action in the story was entertaining and kept me turning the pages quickly! I enjoyed this easy t ...more
Sep 20, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it
Rachelle McCalla has a great writing voice, and I am always very involved with her characters from the beginning. I enjoyed the entire book immensely. When I finished reading I immediately thought "I can't wait to see what happens next." I am planning to read the rest of the series soon. The only drawback I really found in this one is that Linus is warned at one point that something in his past could be exposed if he ever crosses a certain line, he later, in my opinion, crosses that line, and he ...more
May 14, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Disclosure: This ebook was provided to me free of charge through NetGalley for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.

Really interesting tale that had my attention the whole time. The pace was wonderful and the characters engaging. Great dynamic in the relationship that made it very believable. Beautiful storytelling that entertained the whole time!

It had really great flow and did the job of making me think at times. I love a book that taps into my e
Aug 05, 2014 Melinda rated it liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book my mom loaned me. Usually, these are pretty cheesy, with thin plot lines, but this one wasn't too bad!
Dec 17, 2015 Ash added it
The heroine either felt fear or annoying.
Teresa Banks
Feb 03, 2016 Teresa Banks rated it really liked it
Very suspenseful from start to finish. I'm not much on books about royalty. Didn't really think I wanted to read it but I'm very glad I did. Looking forward to the next book in the Protecting the Crown series
Jul 10, 2014 Debra added it
Debbie Heaton
Feb 25, 2013 Debbie Heaton rated it liked it
In McCalla’s love inspired suspense novel, Linus Murati’s job is protecting the royal family. When the queen’s younger sister is attacked, Murati steps up to protect her and identify the danger. Even though danger has been following Julia Miller for a while now, he is determined to protect her and catch the culprit.

Nice installment to the Protecting the Crown series.

Jul 15, 2013 Judine rated it it was amazing
I like this better than the previous series, mostly because the short timeline and royal intrigue were getting to be a bit much. Julia and Linus' search into legal affairs was both believable and unique (although I still feel robbed that I didn't get to hear Linus' grandfather's story about one of the castle's secret passages).

Jan 24, 2014 Melody rated it it was amazing
I am such a fan of this author, can't wait to read the rest of this series. I am in love with the Lydian kingdom!
Just a warning though, the book heading here says it's book two, but it really is book one of the series! I had to hunt to be sure I had it right, for her books are best read in order!
John Hanscom
Maybe 3 1/2, as the story was good. Once again, the editing was terrible. I asked one of the authors if they had editors; she assured me that, if anything, the books are over edited. Sad.
May 15, 2013 Stella rated it liked it
The first book I read from this author and my very first inspirational romantic suspense story.

Detailed review to be posted soon.
Jazmin Jade
Apr 28, 2013 Jazmin Jade rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
For my complete and honest review please follow the link
May 29, 2013 Mrspam4ever rated it really liked it
It was a fast read & i liked it very much. These are perfect weekend reads:)
Mar 03, 2013 Tasha added it
Shelves: romance, spy-thriller
Started off entertaining, but was overpowered by the MacGuffin.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Protecting the Crown
Category: Inspirational Romance
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 06, 2015 04:01PM
  • The Cowboy Target (Protection Specialists, #4)
  • Murder at Granite Falls (Big Sky Series, #4)
  • Navy SEAL Rescuer (Heroes for Hire, #7)
  • Formula for Danger (Sonoma, #2)
  • Standing Guard
  • Hidden in the Everglades (Guardians, Inc., #3)
  • Christmas Cover-Up
  • Final Resort (Treasure Seekers #3)
  • Fatal Inheritance
  • A Promise to Protect (Men of Valor #1)
  • Guard Duty (Texas K-9 Unit, #3)

Protecting The Crown (5 books)
  • A Royal Marriage (Protecting the Crown, #1)
  • Royal Heist (Protecting The Crown #3)
  • The Secret Princess (Protecting the Crown, #4)
  • Royal Wedding Threat (Protecting The Crown #5)