Start by marking “A Place for Family” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  43 reviews
INSPIRATIONAL ROMANCE
Book 4-The Sawyers

One suitcase is all Amanda Gardner has to her name when she ends up back in Harland, North Carolina. No one knows how the high-powered ad exec, the girl who couldn't leave town fast enough after high school, lost her glamorous life in California. Everyone's curious—except John Sawyer. He's done enough wondering about his childhood bes
Published February 19th 2013 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Place for Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place for Family

Vicky
I recieved this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

A story about a girl who left her childhood home to follow her dreams of something bigger and more exciting out in L.A. She returns with a secret to find out with some time and faith where her home always really was and who her family truely is.

A sweet story well written, I enjoyed reading it.
Jenna Anderson
I received this book via a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you.

I enjoyed the farm setting and the tight knit family vibe. All the brothers, wives, kids, etc. made it a sweet read. The Love Inspired books generally have a fair number of characters - family members of all ages. I enjoy that.

Unfortunately I didn't know where to focus my attention with this book. There seemed to be many storylines or ideas flying around - Amanda's financial trouble, her secrets, John is a womanizer, he likes her, loves
Glenda Alexander
by Mia Ross

The cover of this book caught my attention first with the cozy farm house with a lovely wraparound porch looking out over beautiful rolling hills, some with baled hay some with beautiful trees. A place anyone of us would love to call home.
This is the first time I have read a book by Mia Ross but loved how she brought her characters to life with kindness and love.

Amanda and John best friends from the age of four living in a small town, one knowing that the town was/i
Liz Mcglinchey
I was happy to receive this book from the First Reads program goodreads offers!

This was a sweet story about a hometown guy and the best friend, with some fun twists. I really enjoyed it; disclaimer though: I happen to really enjoy romantic stories with predictable endings. This story was about as predictable as it gets. Without giving away too much, I did find it a smidge odd that we didn't find out about the main character, Amanda's, big predicament until midway through the book (although one c
Jasmine
A sweet family-filled love story...

Amanda is a likable heroine. As a girl that has happily stayed in her hometown it was a little hard to identify with her desire to leave. Amanda has been citified but she genuinely tries to fit in when she comes limping back to Harland. She takes a job as nanny for the niece and nephew of her childhood best friend, John, and she throws herself into it with all she has.
John is a good guy. He never left the area he grew up in, instead he works with his brothers a
Dana
I always love a good romantic love story and was especially happy to learn I won a copy of this book as part of the first reads giveaway. It is well written and has a great story line. It probably deserves a 4.5 stars instead of just 4.

I really liked how the author showed the friendship developing into love between Amanda and John. I like how Amanda finally realized she had loved John all along but didn't realize that "real" love develops from friendship. I liked how John supported Amanda even
Jaime
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.

This is a light romance novel that is teeming with forgiveness. Amanda Gardner has left glorious Las Angeles to move back to her farm-town of Harland, North Carolina. This is a place where everyone knows each other, everyone goes to church, and some people are quick to judge. But not John Sawyer, Amanda's old best friend and brother to Amanda's new employer.

John is the only one who can crack Amanda's shell. He helps her to remember how to relax, to open up, an
Kari
I received this book as a free Goodreads "first read". I found this book very easy to read. It was very enjoyable. I usually prefer more "romance" in my novels, but I was pleasantly surprised with this book. Mia wrote a good book. It is obvious that this book is part of a series, but I believe this was a good stand alone book as well.

I liked that the main character wasnt letting other people fix her problems and that she wanted to be responsible for herself. Though I'm not a huge fan of "inspir
Janine
"A Place for Family" by Mia Ross a book that yes I enjoyed the overall storyline, I was kind of bored with the lost sheep story line again. This is the fourth book I have read by Ms. Ross and the third one with the lost sheep in it. I admit they were all written differently but still when I saw it show up here in the book I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

I did enjoy some of the twists and turns this book took but sadly each and every twist and turn had a predictable ending.

I did enjoy the story
Antimidas
I received this book for free as a first reads promotion from Goodreads.

Being a typical American male, I don't really do romance novels. When the book arrived, I admit to being a little dejected upon seeing the Harlequin mark on the back cover. But this is not what I imagine the typical romance novel to be. In fact, I don't even consider it a romance novel, but a heart warming story of a small town, North Carolina family.

This is a very down to earth, family friendly story. Sure, there are some a
Melissa

* I received this book as a giveaway through Good Reads First Reads *

I'm the type of person that enjoys romance, but I usually read one of Sparks books once a year to get my fix. I think I forgot how fulfilling a well written romance story can be. Mia Ross made me really care about the characters and I was so happy to find her other novels revolve around the same core family. Right after finishing this book, I purchased another of her novels on my kindle and just started reading it. I think anyo
Sandy Mueller
I won this book from Goodreads first reads, and found it to be very good! The book is about a woman named Amanda who leaves her hometown and best friend to become something better and realizes after losing her job and getting mixed up with a married man(who she didn't know was still married) that there's no place like home. With only one small bag of her belongings and a beat up car that breaks down near her old, male best friend's house she is in for a totally different kind of lifestyle. With ...more
Kate
**Please Note: I received this book for free from Goodreads First-reads**

A Place For Family, by Mia Ross was a very fast read. The "love inspired" collection from Harlequin are light romance novels and this one had very tasteful, sweet undertones.

This story is about a small town girl returning home after life in the big city to reconnect with her childhood love. While this theme is not a new one, the story was still engaging and held my attention.

My only complaint with this book was that about
Maryann
Have enjoyed this series, kind of sad to see it end.
Holly
Amanda Gardner has come back to her hometown with a secret (or two), her only possessions in a duffel bag, and no plans or ideas on what to do for the first time in her life. On her way back into town her car breaks down in front of her childhood best friend's farm. There, for the first time in her life she learns to rely on others for help, finds the way back to God and finds out what she really wants in life when there are no hidden agendas or strings attached.
This was a sweet and satisfying
Melissa
This book is an easy read. Unfortunatly that is the best I can say. I don't feel this writer knows much about farming. Which spolied the book a bit for me. The story was just alright.It didn't reach up and grab me.I did like the religion that was put in. It was fairly subtle and not too pushy.John seemed not fleshed out as a character. I recieved this book as a First Read Giveaway, so I am almost ashamed to give this review, but I figured they wanted honest. I don't reget reading this book, but ...more
Destiny Rodriguez
Amanda Gardner packs up her suit case and is headed back to her home town Harland, North Carolina.
And then theirs John Sawyer, whom is Amanda’s childhood best friend.
John wonders what is the reason Amanda never called or contacted him. Wonders why not she took the time to write him or even visited. Johns thoughts point to maybe Amanda is in trouble some how.
She receives an unlikely job offer to be a nanny from her high school sweetheart’s family.
Amanda learns to slowly trust John again.

Stacey
I received this as a first reads win.

I hate giving anything under 3 stars, but this read just wasn't my kind of book. I guess I expected something a little different when I entered the giveaway. And let me just say if you like grocery store love stories or Nora Roberts novels, then you'd probably give this a higher rating. I just felt it to be predictable, and more like a book you'd find at the grocery store, or at airport on a turn rack. It was well written, but like I said at not for me.
Patricia
A sweet..inspirational book. I'm not a religious person per se but can appreciate the devotion and heart inspiring belief that Christianity follows. We all need something to believe in and this book gives one beautiful lesson. Childhood friendship that blossoms into love..hope...and a chance for happiness. This is a giveaway win that I feel very lucky to have won on here and recommend highly. It will give even the most skeptically diverse person a smile with promise of hope.
Carrie Sue Pittman
I won this book as a giveaway/contest at goodreads.com.

I very much enjoyded reading this book. It was well written, it's just I felt like I knew what was happening and going on from the start of the book, and knew how it would end. It was just a very predictable book. The character John, was just too good to be true, it was actually kinda funny. BIG JOHN the hero, to Amanda, saves the farm, saves Amanda. The only thing that was a surprise was the sex of the baby once born.
Rebekah Gyger
This was actually a good book. Wondered because if how short it was that it might not be. I mean, I guessed what the secret was (though the tells made not sense to me), but I still found it to be a cute, quick read. I just wish that I had known ahead of time that it was the last in the four Family tales by the author ahead of time so I could have read those first.

If you want to know what other books I back, read my blog at http://backingbooks.blogspot.com/
Krissy
First Reads:

Mia Ross is fantastic, I absolutely loved A place for family! A wonderful story about starting over and finding love in the place where you left it!
I instantly fell in love with Amanda because it was so easy seeing myself in her I really enjoy being able to relate to a character so well in a story and Mia does it flawlessly! I was rooting for John the entire time!
If you get the chance, read A place for family.
You will not be disappointed!!
Rhonda
I don't typically read romance novels but this one caught my eye. It was a quick read and I did enjoy it. I loved the Sawyer family. They reminded me of the close knit farm families from my hometown. Amanda upset me since she didn't realize what a great guy she had, but at least she figured it out. Of course, if she figured it out right away then there wouldn't have been much of a story. :-) If you like romance novels, this will be a good one for you.
June
Wow, most of the reviews I read said they got the book for free then don't have much good to say about it. I PAID for my copy and enjoyed it very much. The whole Sawyer family series has been fun to read and I enjoyed Mia Ross's writing very much. I think she did a really good job of restoring a relationship that fizzled out for no good reason! The story line was enjoyable and all the questions were answered. The story moved along at a quick pace also!
Heidi
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I really liked this story. A small town girl leaves home to see what's out there by getting a scholarship and moving to L.A. Things go well for her for quite a few years but then events happen that she's forced to move back home with some things she's not willing to tell anyone. Feelings arise between her and her best friend and we find out if they decide to do anything about it.
Lynn Lund
I have received a free copy of this book through a GoodReads First Reads giveaway.
While romance is not the typical genre I go for, I have picked up a book or two that I did enjoy. This was not one of those books. I don't mean to say the book is bad, because it's not. Just not the sort of book I enjoy. I would recommend this to someone who wants a light read and doesn't mind predictability.
Diana
I'll start off saying this was a good book, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as the others in the series. I thInk it was because of her putting in the story, the main male love interest was adamant that only only a birth mother could love her child the way it should be loved. I have issues with that, and I think that put me off the book. The series is great and I recommend it.
Sarah Beth
This is a good reads firsts reads giveaway review.
This book opened itself up very very well. However as the it continued I found it hard to follow. There was so much happening and I wish Ross would have maybe pruned out some of the development or rounded it out a little more so you can get a better feel and flow of the story.
Cathy
I received my copy of this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. I really enjoyed the story even though I usually find romance novels a bit predictable and sappy. The characters were likeable and, even though you already guessed the ending, it was still an enjoyable read. A light and easy read.
Sarah P.
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway, first reads.

This book was a sweet and simple love story. The country setting gave it that simplistic lifestyle and pace. I was not expecting the touches of religion in the book, but overall really enjoyed Amanda and John's story.
  • Her Surprise Sister (Texas Twins, #1)
  • Snowflake Sweethearts
  • Finding Home
  • Mirror Image Bride (Texas Twins, #2)
  • Picture Perfect Family (Claremont, Alabama, #3)
  • Second Chance in Dry Creek
  • The Marriage Barter (Orphan Train, #2)
  • Small-Town Mom
  • Healing the Forest Ranger
  • The Governess and Mr. Granville (The Parson's Daughters, #2)
  • Reunited with the Sheriff
  • The Fireman's Homecoming
  • Unexpected Father
  • The Cowboy's Holiday Blessing (Cooper Creek, #1)
  • Johanna's Bridegroom (Hannah's Daughters, #6)
  • The Baby Bequest (Wilderness Brides, #2)
  • The Prodigal's Christmas Reunion (Rocky Mountain Heirs #6)
  • Plain Admirer (Brides of Amish Country, #8)
Mia Ross loves great stories. She enjoys reading about fascinating people, long-ago times, and exotic places. But only for a little while, because her reality is pretty sweet. Married to her college sweetheart, she's the proud mom of two amazing kids whose schedules keep her hopping. Busy as she is, she can't imagine trading her life for anyone else's--and she has a pretty good imagination.
More about Mia Ross...
Jingle Bell Romance Rocky Coast Romance Hometown Family A Gift of Family Circle of Family