Start by marking “Let the Dead Sleep (Cafferty and Quinn #1)” as Want to Read:
Let the Dead Sleep (Cafferty and Quinn #1)

Let the Dead Sleep (Cafferty and Quinn #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,664 ratings  ·  219 reviews
An Object of Desire? Or of Fear?

It was stolen from a New Orleans grave—the centuries-old bust of an evil man, a demonic man. It's an object desired by collectors and by those with wickedness in their hearts.

Published March 26th 2013 by Harlequin MIRA (first published March 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Let the Dead Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let the Dead Sleep

Phantom Evil by Heather GrahamThe Unspoken by Heather GrahamThe Evil Inside by Heather GrahamSacred Evil by Heather GrahamDeadly Harvest by Heather Graham
The Best of Heather Graham
40th out of 45 books — 25 voters
Consequences by Aleatha RomigThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsTruth by Aleatha Romig
Best Book I Couldn't Put Down
191st out of 192 books — 187 voters

More lists with this book...

Sue
Let The Dead Sleep by Heather Graham has been in my TBR pile for way too long and I'm so glad I read it!

Heather writes a very intriguing, chilling story in Let The Dead Sleep and I couldn't get enough of it! I loved the great mix of mystery, suspense, paranormal, and the touch of romance that enhances the overall plot. I liked how Danni is not a clear picture at the start of the book, and as more is revealed, Danni is just as shocked as I was. I felt that Heather wove what Danni is and what she
Corey
Ugh. My first and last Heather Graham novel.

Formulaic plot and characters. Reads like a Lifetime movie.
Cheryl
I'm a long-time fan of Heather Graham, and while this isn't my #1 favorite of hers, LET THE DEAD SLEEP is an intriguing, fun read. Heather delivers the eerie paranormal twists that she is known for, while creating a plot that is creepy and populated by quirky characters.

In this paranormal thriller, Heather takes a somewhat ordinary object and turns it into an element of terror. She never fails to deliver a great read. So if you're looking for pure entertainment, check this one out.

PS: I received
Lisa
This is Not one of Heather Grahams better books goes into Satanism & demons not to my liking at all
Wanda Hartzenberg
Let the dead sleep : Cafferty and Quinn book 1
By Heather Graham

I first discovered this author on Audible and ever since that first book I have made a point of buying a book by her at least once every three months.

The narrator of this specific book was amazing. Her timing, enunciation and her range for voices made me feel as if I were at my fathers knee, listening to him reading a familiar book to me one more time.

The story. As always a combination of paranormal and romance and this time with a
Ginny  Gallagher
New Orleans, voodoo, ancient evil, human sacrifice, and a new partnership against evil combine and make Heather Graham’s, Let the Dead Sleep a can’t put down tale of mystery and suspense.

Book 1 of The Cafferty and Quinn series begins with a prologue. Dani is saying her final goodbyes to her larger than life father, Angus Quinn. He is in a coma and Dani is finding it difficult to let go. She talks to him endlessly and I was as shocked as she was when Angus bolts upright and proclaims, “Lass, so l
Jess
I've read a few books by Graham and I've always found them entertaining. Usually mysteries with a hint of paranormal elements and a little romantic suspense added in. This book was no exception, it was a fast paced ride from the beginning of the book to the last page.

One of the main characters is Danni Cafferty and she runs an antique shop that she inherited from her father. She is also an up and coming artist that finds herself in her shop painting the face of a woman she's never met before. Th
Darlene
This was one of the lamest excuses for a thriller I've ever read! As one reviewer put it, it reads like it was written by a teenage girl- one that knows little about the horror/thriller genre! The plot sounded promising- I judged a book by it's back cover when I picked this up. The main character was arrogant and unlikable, the story moved at a painfully sluggish pace, and much of the dialogue and actions of the characters were laughably hard to swallow. I am a die-hard follower of the horror/th ...more
Sandi Willis
Since I read Cafferty and Quinn #2 first, I had to read the first book so I could find out how they got together. This was another case of "was the art really killing people?" In this case it is a marble bust that seems to be killing people when they will not do its bidding, which is taking the life from another person. As I read this book I thought about "Terminator 2" where T2 can morph into a human form. The story starts out with a strange woman trying to get rid of a marble bust, screaming t ...more
Vennie
The book was very good! Part paranormal and part romance. This is the genre Ms. Graham seems to stay with.

In this book a man dies and his daughter, Danni, is devastated. But, she is in for quiet a surprise. Believing she and her father had no secrets she finds out differently when Quinn walks through the door of her antiques shop! He tells her he worked with her dad on special cases. Quinn is a PI and Danni is an artist.

Her dad ran a great little shop, but, it's filled with all sorts of curios w
Aimee
When Danni Cafferty's father dies unexpectedly, he leaves her his antique store and a legacy that she has no clue about until private investigator Michael Quinn comes into her life at the same time as a seemingly deranged woman comes barging into her store raving about a murderous bust. This just happens to be the same woman that Danni just painted a picture of. There's just one problem--Danni's never seen this woman before in her life. When said woman turns up dead within hours of her visit to ...more
Karen
I've been a fan of Heather Graham's for years. She's written over 100 novels and novellas -- historicals, paranormals, romances, combinations of the three. Up until now my favorite Graham series has been the Bone Island Trilogy (it has pirates, after all). Her newest series is Cafferty & Quinn. While C & Q hasn't overthrown BIT ... and probably won't (you know, unless she adds pirates) ... C & Q definitely has the makings of another enjoyable series.

Danni Cafferty is an artist who n
Eri
Danni Cafferty owns an antiques/curio shop in the French Quarter. One day, a mysterious elderly lady appears in the shop begging her to TAKE from her - not BUY - an ancient statuette depicting a demonic man that she claims has wrought death and destruction on her life. Before Danni can visit the woman's home to obtain the statue, the woman commits suicide and the figure disappears. Thus begins the search.
As the statue is passed illegally from criminal to criminal, people die. It's Danni and Mich
Amy
This was an uncorrected proof from Netgalley so I'm not sure if my dislike of the book is due to the formatting issues or the blah story. No, I'm pretty sure it was the blah story. I usually find Heather Graham's paranormals creepy and entertaining but I found this one ridiculous. The cast of nefarious characters was laughable and the main characters, Danni & Quinn, were just blah. I know Graham can do better.
Keri
HG can be a hit or miss for me on some of her books and series, but this one I really liked. I happened to catch the little short that HG wrote with F. Paul Wilson and liked the character so much I decided to check out the Quinn and Cafferty series. So glad I did. I am not prepared to call it a romance yet, but it is leaning that way. This book came off as spooky to me and I liked it.
Michael Davis
Listened to the audio of this one based on the Face Off collection, which paired protagonists from different authors and series for short mysteries or cases. (Great collection; this is not the only new author I've discovered and liked from that one.) I started this one in the car (which is why it took so much longer than the book itself would have), and that's the only way I continued - until I got about halfway in, when I had to bring it into the house since I couldn't wait for the next car tri ...more
Lia
A previous reviewer said, "My first and last Heather Graham novel. [...] Reads like a Lifetime movie." This very much sums up my response, as well. Characters were predictable and flat, bad editing left multiple typos and grammatical errors, and dialogue was terrible. My biggest problem was with bad continuity: characters knowing things they shouldn't yet, doing something on one page that they'd flat out refused to do the page before, etc.

All of that said... I also saw several reviews stating th
M.K. Theodoratus
Give me a strong mystery with a preternatural bent, and I'm ready to sit back and read until two AM even though I know I'll hate myself in the morning. Heather Graham often puts me in that "one more chapter" syndrome,and she did not disappoint me this time around, though I fear she's giving me a distorted view of New Orleans.

Here, a cursed bust of an evil man crosses the path of Dani Caferty, an antique dealer with a geas laid on her by her dying father, and Michael Quinn, a former cop turned pr
Connie
This is the first book in the Cafferty and Quinn series. It is a bit of a paranormal, romantic suspense. I really liked this book. It had all the necessary parts to make you keep reading. The spookiness of the occult, the sexual tension between the two characters and a nice little mystery.

I did figure out some of the components, but that was okay as I felt that it was just part of the book. I don't really think it was to be a whodunit.

I liked that Danni didn't understand completely who she was
Kristen
I listened to the audio book version of this, but I have a feeling that I would have liked the book a bit more if I just read it instead. The lady that voices the audio book got on my nerves, not to mention that she did a ton of hilarious (male) Irish accents and all the male character's voices. It was hard to not laugh at them initially. I'll also note that I checked out the audio book because I had to go out of town one weekend and figured I'd try one out for the long drive.

The storyline was j
Julie Kellner
This book stared out so well but with the mix of annoying characters let it down greatly. I'm hoping the next instalment will be much improved
Sara
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and all the characters :) it had a good plot and lots of twists and turns and I can't wait to read the next book in the series :)
Katherine Adams
When Dani's dad dies, she took over his curiosity shop filled with antiques and bizarre specialty items for sale. When a woman barges into the shop and wants Dani to take a carved bust in her posession since it is evil, Dani has no idea what to do. Next, Private investigator John Quinn shows up tells her it is her duty to help since her father would have. Dani has no idea what is going on and realizes that there was more to her father she ever knew, and she may be in over her head.

Shock of all s
Mhd
Rating is more like a 3.75 than a true "4." Some interesting characters and New Orleans is almost always a great location. Some of the twists were predictable. There are many unresolved issues and unrevealed back-stories, so we know the series was planned early on. My biggest complaint is that when their relationship turned the corner, the details were too graphic and too extensive, but it was pretty easy to just skip several pages. Also, there were some things that the female lead should have f ...more
Kathy Elliott
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

After her father's death, Danni takes over his shop filled with antiques and curios. She finds that all is not as it seems when an agitated older woman enters her shop and demands that she take a bust off her hands; that it is evil and caused the death of her husband.
Michael Quinn enters the story at this point and the action just keeps going.

This is an exciting book with a surprising ending. Lots of eerie action and excitement. A great read.
CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?
Wow

It was pretty bad, I'm not going to lie. There was a lot of stilted dialogue, over use of exclamation points, over exposition, and just plain bad development.

I refuse to believe that Heather Graham wrote this. Usually I can depend on her for a supernatural mystery cum romance that is light and easy, with little to no thought process. A beach read. Or just decent escapism. But this?

Wtf?

It didn't help that my e-loan somehow managed to switch chapters 17 and 18.

I'm going to check out the second
Let the Dead Sleep is the story of Danni Cafferty, an artist who inherits her father's antique shop upon his death, and Michael Quinn, an ex-cop turned PI who had worked with Danni's father on special cases. Danni and Quinn team up to find a bust that can influence people to commit evil deeds.

I wasn't really sure how to rate this one. I liked the premise well enough, however, there was just something lacking. I don't really know what it is exactly, but the book just didn't grab me like it should
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review).

"It was stolen from a New Orleans grave - the centuries-old bust of an evil man, a demonic man. It's an object desired by collectors - and by those with wickedness in their hearts. One day, its current owner shows up at Danni Cafferty's antiques shop on Royal Street, the shop she inherited from her father. But before Danni can buy the statue, it disappears, the owner is found dead...and Danni discovers that she's inher
Judy Hall
When Danni Cafferty's father dies, she takes over his antique and collectible shop, completely unaware of the other legacy he left her as well. She finds out the day a desperate woman comes into the shop begging her to take an ancient bust off her hands because it is evil. Michael Quinn followed Gladys Simon into the store and is disgusted with Danni when Danni won't help the woman immediately.

This leads the two of them into their first adventure together, going up against an evil cult.

As alway
Paranormal Haven
Michael Quinn was once the golden boy of New Orleans. He was destined to be a great NFL quarterback, but because he felt entitled he fell in with the wrong crowds and began taking drugs of every kind and alcohol. He drank so much that he had alcohol poisoning and walked out in front of a car and flat lined on the operating table. However a miracle happened and he came back to life a different person had. He began working with Angus Cafferty in searching for ancient evil art objects and weapons. ...more
  • Keeper of the Moon (The Keepers: L.A. #2)
  • Holiday with a Vampire 4 (Vampire Moons #2.5 / Nightsiders 0.5)
  • Keeper of the Shadows (The Keepers: L.A. #3)
  • Where All the Dead Lie (Taylor Jackson, #7)
  • Carved in Darkness
  • Tell Me (Savannah #3)
  • The Wolf Prince (The Pack #13)
  • Phantom Wolf (Phoenix Force, #2)
  • Releasing the Hunter
  • Vacation with a Vampire: Stay / Vivi and the Vampire / Island Vacation
  • Darkest Desire of the Vampire: Wicked in Moonlight / Vampire Island
  • When Darkness Falls (Vampire #2)
  • Siren's Call (Dark Seas)
  • Taming the Demon (Demon Blade #1)
  • Running with Wolves
  • Hostage (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #14)
  • Ashes, Ashes, They All Fall Dead (Deadly Games, #3)
  • Roses in Moonlight (MacLeod, #9; de Piaget/MacLeod, #19)
Also published as Heather Graham Pozzessere and Shannon Drake.

New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Heather Graham majored in theater arts at the University of South Florida. After a stint of several years in dinner theater, back-up vocals, and bartending, she stayed home after the birth of her third child and began to write, working on short horror stories and romances. After some tria
More about Heather Graham...

Cafferty and Quinn (3 books)
  • Waking the Dead (Cafferty and Quinn #2)
  • The Dead Play On (Cafferty and Quinn, #3)
Ghost Walk  (Harrison Investigation, #2) Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1) Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) Ghost Shadow (Bone Island Trilogy, #1) Haunted (Harrison Investigation, #1)