Making Him Sweat (Harlequin Blaze #740)

Making Him Sweat (Wilinski's #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  99 reviews
She's hitting below the belt…

Round 1
In this corner is admittedly romantic Jenna Wilinski, who’s inherited a rather seedy boxing gym from her estranged father. With it, she can realize her dream of launching an upscale matchmaking business…provided she can take on the very intimidating—and wickedly hot—boxer who stands in her way!

Round 2
In the far corner is former pro boxer...more
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published February 19th 2013 by Harlequin

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireReal by Katy EvansMotorcycle Man by Kristen AshleyMystery Man by Kristen AshleyDefying the Odds by Kele Moon
He's a lover and a fighter!
74th out of 277 books — 613 voters
Real by Katy EvansBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireWalking Disaster by Jamie McGuireFighting for Flight by J.B. SalsburyMine by Katy Evans
The Ultimate List of Fighter Romance
78th out of 114 books — 1,115 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill

Jenna Wilinski has inherited her late father's building and business, Wilinski's Fight Academy in Boston. Jenna wants to open up her own upscale matchmaking business in the same building. Mercer Rowley, her father's protégé, business manager and trainer, isn't keen on seeing his or her father's work closed down. But can these two very different businesses co-exist?

This is my fourth novel by Meg Maguire and I really enjoyed it. There's something so lovely and real about her characters and romance...more
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

Making Him Sweat is a sexy story, the first book in a new series and Meg Maguire’s first multi-book deal. Harlequin Blaze is the publisher, and those of you who’ve read this line in the past know that the stories are definitely hot! This book introduces us to some very interesting characters, people whose stories promise to be exciting, fun, and very sexy.
From the cover:

She's hitting below the belt…

Round 1

Regina
Check out this review and others like it at BadAssBookReviews

I loved this book!

I am picky about the romance novels I read and if I were honest, which I guess I should be, many romance novels fail to pull me in. But there are some exceptions. Cara McKenna (here writing as Meg Maguire) is forever going to be one of my favorite writers for her novella Willing Victim and now again for the novel Making Him Sweat. What do I want in my romance? Character depth. Rational scenarios. Please NO evil villa...more
KatLynne
3.5 Stars

In this corner…. We have Jenna Wilinski and her soon to be upscale matchmaking business, Sparks of Boston. She’s arrived to inhabit the building and business left to her by her estranged father. The only drawback is the stipulation he made in his will, that she keep the Academy open until the New Year. It may be an inconvenience, but she can easily set up shop and work around the two businesses for a short amount of time.

And in this corner… We have Mercer Rowley, boxer, trainer, and ge...more
Wminbc
I love fight books…especially where old school boxing meets the more
modern MMA style. This cute book had so many great characters and a
good old fashion romance. Both Mercer and Jenna were apprehensive about
the other due to their predicament: namely Jenna’s estranged father who
left his gym to Jenna but also left Mercer in charge of the gym and
living in his apartment.

As the two dance around each other, they also learn a thing or two about
their lives, their relationships with Jenna’s father (Mercer...more
Steffi
4 stars

Jenna Wilinski just inherited her criminal father’s gym. She should be proud and happy about her inheritance but the gym is not making any profit and dealing with sweaty boxers is not what Jenna imagined her career to be.

Mercer Rowley is one of those boxers. Mercer is a trainer at the gym and was very close to Jenna’s father. His mentor left his daughter his boxing gym, hoping she would continue his legacy….but that’s not what Jenna wants.

Jenna’s plan to convert the gym into a dating age...more
Bri
3.5

Meg Maguire has won me over with her endearing, real heroes and heroines, and the believable dialogue within her books. Making Him Sweat was no different. I found myself grinning while reading the interaction between Jenna and Mercer. I couldn't get enough of the fun, flirty banter between them and wanted more, more, more.

The first 50% of this book had me sucked in, rooting for Jenna and Mercer's relationship, feeling strongly for these two characters, and even at one point, bringing me to su...more
Paula - Romantic Book Affairs

I will refrain from rating since I didn't finish this one...

I found this book to be really boring. I had a hard time connecting with the characters nor did the story captivate my interest. I couldn't make myself finish this short book. And I really did try. I could see that this story had potential, but I think personally this story just isn't my cuppa.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
What happens when the world as you once knew it comes crashing down around you and everything you thought was true about your life turns out to be a big-fat lie?

Jenna Wilinski is a romantic at heart. She is awesome at pairing up perfect love matches for everyone around her, but when it comes to her own love life…not so fantastic. When her estranged father suddenly passes away, she inherits the bedraggled old boxing club that he made into a home for many wayward boys and up and coming fighters, i...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

MAKING HIM SWEAT is the first book in a brand new series by Meg Maguire. It’s a series that centres around MMA. You know what that means, right? Hot, sweaty, half naked men. I’m there.

Another big reason why I decided to read this book is because of the author. I’m a huge fan of Maguire’s authorial voice. A lot of detail is spent on the everyday goings of life and how a hero and a heroine discover chemistry and passion within each other. A Meg Maguire book also explores the past in slow detail,...more
Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream
CLICK HERE TO READ MY FULL REVIEW AT READING, EATING AND DREAMING I WAS BLAIR WALDORF

*I received Making Him Sweat through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

What I loved about Making Him Sweat by Meg Maguire:
Intriguing, entertaining story. I absolutely loved how the main character landed herself with two polar opposite companies: a boxing gym and a matchmaking business. I also love how Jenna's match was her polar opposite. It definitely made things interesting.

Light, easy read. I wouldn...more
Angie
I have to say that I very much enjoyed the simplicity of this book. It was just two people who were content with their lives finding love when and where they least expected it.

Jenna's inheritance is a piece of property that happens to be the perfect place for her new business venture. It also happens to be a place that Mercer's poured his heart and soul into--a MMA training facility geared toward getting young men off the streets to teach them discipline and turn them away from violence.

Mercer a...more
When Jenna inherits a boxing gym from her estranged father she has no intention of keeping it running but it does give her the perfect opportunity to open the matchmaking agency that she has always dreamed of. She just needs to find a way to run the two businesses together until the end of the year when she can legitimately close the gym. She hadn't planned on having to deal with Mercer though, Mercer has been running the gym since her father got sick and he has plans to give the run down old pl...more
Mariann {a.k.a. Belle's Book Bag}
"You're the Mr. Right that I've been picturing all wrong my whole life." *sigh*

This is another cover that I just love and makes me want to sigh!! lol ;) Meg Maguire is another new-to-me author that I will definitely be looking for more from. She won me over with Making Him Sweat and I am a BIG fan now. I'm not so patiently waiting for the next book in this series!! Rick *sigh* His book is going to be so good and I am hoping to read more about Mercer and Jenna!! Can't wait!!

Mercer Rowley...what...more
D.C.
ABOUT THE BOOK:
She's hitting below the belt... Round 1

In this corner is admittedly romantic Jenna Wilinski, who's inherited a rather seedy boxing gym from her estranged father. With it, she can realize her dream of launching an upscale matchmaking business...provided she can take on the very intimidating-and wickedly hot-boxer who stands in her way!

Round 2

In the far corner is former pro boxer Mercer Rowley. He's the only one who can protect his "home"-even if it is a little run down-from his det...more
Jenn Scranton
**ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

4.5 Stars!

What a breath of fresh air!! As much as I love romance novels, they have a pretty typical story line. Making Him Sweat was in a category all on its own which caught my attention from the first chapter!

First of all, there aren't too many books about boxing... I'm not sure why. Its pretty sexy when you think about it. Boxers kind of have that sexy bad boy image but they are disciplined and controlled. Yeah, I can work with tha...more
Meagan
This new Blaze title is by Meg Maguire, who I first got to know as Cara McKenna. I was shocked by how much I loved McKenna's (very edgy, be ye warned) erotic romance, so when I heard that there was a wider market serial romance title being released under the Maguire name, I was super excited to read it. Happily for me, I was approved for a title under NetGalley. And I wasn't disappointed!

While Making Him Sweat is much less racy than the titles I've read by Cara McKenna, it still offers some of t...more
Amanda
Wow, what can I say? I really enjoyed reading this story. It definitely has an underlying message of don't judge a book by its cover, and people really need to practice that more often.

Jenna wants nothing to do with the gym that her father left her. I mean he left when she was four and she never heard from him again. Now that he's gone and left her the legacy of a boxing gym with a bad reputation, that could be a misunderstanding. She meets Mercer and listens to the love that he has for her fat...more
Eleanor (The Book Hammock)
My thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin for an advanced copy of this book.

I didn't know what to expect from Meg Maguire when I fired up my Kindle to start this book. Then I got to meet Jenna Wilinski and Mercer Rowley. Jenna inherits a somewhat dilapidated gym in Chinatown, Boston from her late father from whom she was estranged for the past 25 years. She has a plan for the gym - shutting it down, unless it miraculously turns profit by the end of the year. She wants to open a matchmaking service on...more
Ann has a dirty mouth
I am so into this book. It is probably my favorite harlequin of a long long time.

Some of you may notice that I started Real by Katy Evans and I was super into it until the last few chapters where some plot turns made me completely lose my interest. I was still completely craving books about boxers and sexy fighters. This is probably the best boxing hero I have read.

What really made this book come to life for me was that Mercer was such a real person. I think any author could make you fall in l...more
Leslie
Rating: C-

Well, I finished it. It took far too long to read for a Blaze. I can't say I ever really got into the story or the hero or heroine. I was interested in the setting of the fight school and the people it attracted. The matchmaking business didn't do anything for me. It felt like Jenna could have started any business, it was only there for conflict with the gym.

Jenna Wilinski knows very little about her father, only that he loved his gym more than her or her mother. Or so she thought. Je...more
Sandy
I enjoyed this story but the plot was hard to swallow in several places.

The main character, Jenna Wilinski,has inherited a rather seedy boxing gym from her estranged father. By closing the gym, she can realize her dream of launching an upscale matchmaking business which seems like a good plan until she meets Mercer Rowley. He's the one her father left in charge of the gym and he has big plans for it—--even if it is a little run-down.

When Jenna arrives, she finds that Mercer is living in the li...more
Rhyll Biest
I loved this Harlequin, though I'm not at all a Harlequin reader. Meg Maguire (AKA Cara McKenna) really brought it in this spicy romance, and there were shades of Flynn (from Willing Victim) in Mercer which made me devour this book in one big gulp. In other words, Mercer is the thuggish looking brute with a heart of gold—and ding-dong of titanium ;)

As always, it's the original use of language (no lazy cliches in this writing), supernova hot sex and brilliant dialogue which made me love this stor...more
Amyra
Una storia veramente carina!
Jenna eredita dal padre, che non vedeva da venticinque anni, una edificio in Chinatown, Boston, e l'attività che ne risiede: una palestra di arti marziali. Peccato che lei sia una ragazza romantica a cui il sangue e la violenza fanno paura. Decide quindi di chiudere tutto e di realizzare il suo sogno: aprire una compagnia di matchmaker, per far incontrare i single della città.
Peccato che Mercer, istruttore della famosa palestra e pupillo del padre di Jenna, non sia pr...more
Camille
Audible version.

Heh...this was okay.

I'm gonna stop reading McKenna / Maguire now though. Her writing, for me, is way too familiar, predictable, scripted and similar.

Also, her heroes are like a feminist's dream of the wild side, which is starting to register fakely and transparently to me. I'm done seeking another Flynn. God, Flynn...

Anyway...

Besides such, this was half chick-litty-ish and I hate chick lit. So others may enjoy because the story isn't bad and there is a happy ending. But the mos...more
Azuresaber
Enjoyable read to pass the time. The conflict and resolution was rather obvious I cringed a bit when the baddie was introduced. Everything was a bit too convenient for my liking.

Hero was a surprisingly easy-going guy, and the heroine was likeable and generally rational. (This is somehow rare.)

Would have gotten 4 stars if second half of the book was more interesting (not saying it was bad, but could have been more enjoyable). Pretty good for a Harlequin Blaze, though. (I normally get bored with t...more
Dabney
I liked the couple in this book a great deal. They had interesting life histories and fabulous chemistry. However, the book itself dragged. It has far too much extraneous information in it about things that, for me, slowed the plot rather than advanced it.
Christina
I liked this one. Just missing a 4 star rating. What I really liked.. Actual depth of characters, possible not fantastical scenarios, realistic emotional reactions.
Marquetta (LoveToReadForFun)
This story is dry as a bone. No spark or attraction between the characters. And the heroine is annoying from page 1.
  • The Winning Season
  • Lying in Bed
  • The Risk-Taker (Sweetheart, South Carolina, #1)
  • Her Man Advantage (Double Overtime, #2)
  • Face-Off
  • Big Boy
  • Red Zone (Daniels Brothers, #2)
  • Time Out
  • Below the Belt (Harlequin Blaze, #404)
  • Ticket Home
  • I Cross My Heart (Sons of Chance, #10)
  • A Bad Day for Mercy (Bad Day, #4)
  • Slap Shot (Hot Ice, #3)
  • The Downfall of a Good Girl (LaBlanc Sisters, #1)
  • Ripped (Miller Sisters, #1)
  • The Story Guy
  • Body of Work
  • The Cowboy's E-Mail Order Bride (The Cowboys of Chance Creek, #1)
Meg Maguire writes red-hot romance for Harlequin Blaze and Samhain. She loves writing sexy, character-driven stories about strong-willed men and women who keep each other on their toes, and bring one another to their knees. She also writes smart erotica as Cara McKenna.

Meg was a 2010 Golden Heart finalist, a 2011 and 2013 Romantic Times Reviewers' Choice Award nominee, and a 2012 Golden Leaf final...more
More about Meg Maguire...
The Reluctant Nude Thank You for Riding (Strangers on a Train) Caught on Camera (Harlequin Blaze #608) Trespass The Wedding Fling (Harlequin Blaze #734)

“All men think they're great kissers. Just like you think you're the only decent driver on the road."
"Maybe, but I am. Amazing kisser. Dangerously amazing. Your panties would, like, disintegrate, I'm such an awesome kisser.”
8 likes