Start by marking “Cut, Stapled, and Mended: When One Woman Reclaimed Her Body and Gave Birth on Her Own Terms After Cesarean” as Want to Read:

"At least you and the baby are healthy."

That’s what they said when they handed him to me. And they were right. Why then, so long after my body has healed, do I still feel broken? A whisper inside of me insists: Birth is more than a means to a baby. There was something I was supposed to do, something I was to receive through giving birth.

Pregnant again, when the doctor trie
Published May 14th 2013 by Confluence Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Cut, Stapled, and Mended, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cut, Stapled, and Mended

Audrey
Oct 14, 2014 Audrey rated it liked it
This book makes a nice addition to the "birth stories" genre. If you are looking for statistics or evidence, this is not the place for it, though Rosewood does provide a couple of pages of references at the end. It is the author's personal story, pure and simple.

A quote from Dr. Marsden Wagner appears on the front cover: "This book needs to be read by pregnant or to-be pregnant women, to-be fathers, midwives, nurses, hospital administrators, and, most especially, by doctors." This is an admirab
Leila Hanaumi
Oct 08, 2016 Leila Hanaumi rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful memoir that made me cry, marvel at the life growing inside of me, and feel the first bubbles of excitement in giving birth and welcoming motherhood.
Lauren Warner
Jul 23, 2013 Lauren Warner rated it it was ok
By far, one of the strangest books I've read. There were nuggets of goodness...but I don't have much at all in common with this author and found her life to be in complete opposition to my beliefs and opinions. It was hard for me to take wisdom from this.
Kate
May 19, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: medical-ish
Especially pertinent for those with history of c-sections thinking about a vbac. Plus it includes a recipe for French onion soup using placenta.
Jessica
May 21, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written! I picked this up and didn't put it down until I was finished.
Erin
Apr 06, 2015 Erin rated it liked it
Overall, I related a LOT to this book. My first birth was a cascade of interventions starting with an induction due to macrosomia (which I will give them, she was a big baby) ending in an "emergency" cesarean that I'm still not 100% convinced was unavoidable. My second was planned as a VBAC but turned into a forced scheduled cesarean after a late-term ultrasound revealed, once again, a giant baby (who turned out to be a totally reasonable 8lbs 12oz).

Both times, I was placed on a table, cut into
Meggan
Jul 24, 2013 Meggan rated it really liked it
I needed to read this.

Her description of her feelings regarding her baby's first moments post-cesarean (page 49) so perfectly encapsulated how I felt after my own cesarean that I cried. I so distinctly remember that feeling of helplessness; I'm not sure it will ever really go away.

On the down side, there's a lot of her personal family history and emotional trauma that I don't share, so that was hard to identify with. She also occasionally comes off as "holier-than-thou" ("I've never eaten a TV
Liz
Sep 03, 2014 Liz rated it liked it
Honestly, as someone working with a midwife and hoping for a "natural" birth, the climax of this book scared the sh*t out of me! But, I am glad to read as many birth stories as I can, even if I think I would make different choices. I didn't really relate to the author and her seemingly frantic exploration of alternative remedies, though I haven't been in her shoes so I certainly don't judge her approach. I did find her to be a bit immature in how she related to other people. Her apparent honesty ...more
Laura-Doe Harris
Jun 30, 2013 Laura-Doe Harris rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Not only does it provide a lot of great information for women and partners and any others concerned with pregnancy and birth, it's also a really compelling read. I found myself staying up way later than I expected just to keep finding out what happened next. It's an honest, enjoyable and engaging story of one woman's journey to find herself as a woman and achieve her dream of a vaginal birth after two cesareans.
Kate Ditzler
I found this book to be unremarkable in terms of what it has to offer to the discussion of birth trauma. It doesn't even acknowledge that birth trauma is the topic, focusing instead on unwanted and possibly unneeded c-sections. the most important part, I think, was her emotional work, and that was glossed over in favor of the triumphant vbac (instead of, you know, acknowledging that it could have gone a different way).
Betsy
Jun 12, 2013 Betsy rated it liked it
This book was well written, but the author shares different spiritual mindsets/beliefs than I do and that is the reason I did not enjoy it as much as I had hoped I would. It is a great story about her personal journey to achieve a VBAC and was an interesting read but I did not think it lived up to the hype due to her personal views of soul searching.
Maureen
Mar 14, 2015 Maureen rated it really liked it
As a labor and delivery nurse who participates in performing c sections I thought the patient / mother / writer's description of her experiences in the OR important to read and reflect on. Great book for anyone with PTSD from birth trauma or unwanted CS and anyone considering a VBAC. And loved her description of (spoiler alert:) vaginal birth.
Rosie Peterson
Jun 13, 2013 Rosie Peterson rated it it was amazing
couldn't put it down. very well written. very entertaining. it's not just about birth, cesarean section, and vbac (vaginal birth after cesarean), its about love, personal search, family life. It is warm and funny. You'll see yourself in this story somewhere, as the friend, the mother, the husband, the father, or the neighbor.
Linsey
Mar 08, 2014 Linsey rated it really liked it
Fantastic memoir! I found myself in tears several times because the author put into words some of my own experiences and feelings about my c-section. I highly reccomend this to anyone who has experienced a traumatic c-section or anyone considering a VBAC.
Brittany Tedder
Aug 18, 2013 Brittany Tedder rated it liked it
Shelves: advanced-reads
I didn't agree with most of what the author was saying but it was an interesting read. I gave it to my pregnant aunt to read.
Jan 15, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: medical, health, midwifery
Good book for anyone who has had a c-section and desires a VBAC. Perfect book for anyone who had a traumatic birth or suffered PTSD after a c-section.
Ashley Shields
Ashley Shields rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Holly Balcom
Holly Balcom rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Clarissa
Clarissa rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Renee Miller
Renee Miller rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Sarah Eiler
Sarah Eiler rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2014
Erin Patrick
Erin Patrick rated it liked it
May 18, 2013
Jessica Bryant
Jessica Bryant rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Elizabeth Gold
Elizabeth Gold rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Debra Zaslow
Debra Zaslow rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2014
Nicole Homer-lundgren
Nicole Homer-lundgren rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2014
Dani
Dani rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Silent Knife: Cesarean Prevention and Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)
  • The American Way of Birth
  • Heart and Hands: A Midwife's Guide to Pregnancy and Birth
  • Birth Matters:  A Midwife's Manifesta
  • Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers
  • Homebirth: The Essential Guide to Giving Birth Outside of the Hospital
  • The Gift of Giving Life: Rediscovering the Divine Nature of Pregnancy and Birth
  • Gentle Birth Choices
  • Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds
  • Your Best Birth: Know All Your Options, Discover the Natural Choices, and Take Back the Birth Experience
  • Born in the USA: How a Broken Maternity System Must Be Fixed to Put Women and Children First
  • The Business of Baby: What Doctors Don't Tell You, What Corporations Try to Sell You, and How to Put Your Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Before Their Bottom Line
  • The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
  • Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care
  • Active Birth : The New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally
  • Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation
  • Labor Progress Handbook: Early Interventions to Prevent and Treat Dystocia
  • After the Baby's Birth: A Complete Guide for Postpartum Women

“Sauté, stirring regularly, the butter, onions, garlic, baby leaves, thyme, a pinch of salt and few grinds of pepper, until the onions are translucent. Meanwhile, remove the cord, membranes, and any clots from the placenta. Rinse it under cold water. Quarter it, set three quarters aside for another use, and add the remaining quarter to the sauté. Remove placenta when it is cooked through. Slice thin and set aside. Continue cooking the onions, stirring regularly, until they become brown.Add wine and simmer until the liquid evaporates and the onions lose their form. Add flour. Mix well. With a low flame, cook, stirring regularly, for 5 minutes. Add water, beef, placenta or chicken stock, and sliced placenta. Simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. To serve: preheat broiler. In oven-friendly serving bowls or pot, cover the hot soup with cubed sourdough bread and the bread with grated cheese. Broil until the cheese melts” 1 likes
“Mochi Makes about 2 cups, or 15 balls 2 cups sweet brown rice ¼ tsp sea salt ½ cup toasted chopped nuts or seeds   Soak rice for 6–1 0 hours. Drain and discard soaking water. Rinse. Add fresh water to cover. Bring to a boil. When boiling, lower heat, cover, and simmer for 50 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes.Add salt. Place rice in a heavy-duty electric mixer and knead for 10 minutes or until 90% of the grains are broken open and the mixture is sticky and smooth. Alternately, using a large wooden pestle (or baseball bat), vigorously pound the rice for 20 minutes or until the grains are broken and the rice becomes sticky and smooth. Roll mochi into small balls about the size of a walnut shell. Then roll the balls in the toasted nuts or seeds and serve.” 0 likes