Start by marking “Seven Men of Gascony” as Want to Read:
Seven Men of Gascony

Seven Men of Gascony

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  7 reviews

Comrades and heroes, the seven warriors slog through the swirl and tumult of the Napoleonic Wars, fighting for their lives across Europe, until they confront their destiny at Waterloo. This stirring saga is drawn from true stories left behind by the soldiers of the First Empire, a dramatic tale of triumph and defeat.

Published August 15th 1975 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Men of Gascony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Men of Gascony

'Aussie Rick'
This has been the first novel that I have read for many years and what a delight it was to read. Although this book was first published in 1949 it still offers anyone interested in the Napoleonic Wars an engrossing story of men at war.

The author provides the reader with a great story of seven French Voltiguers (elite skirmishers and/or marksmen) fighting during the campaigns of the Empire under Napoleon from the battle of Aspern to the final showdown at Waterloo.

We trudge through cannonades and
Art
Aug 19, 2008 Art rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I read this book during Reforger 1984 while travelling in a Duece & 1/2 on some of the same roads as the story.
The book was in a collection donated by the library for us to read in the Contonment areas before we went out for the Exercise.
I was facinated by this book.
I found it an interesting look at the French Army Under Napolean.
Recommend it to anyone.
Matimate
I was browsing trough Amazon and searching for some interesting novel about Napoleonic wars. I stepped upon Seven Men of Gascony and it was the right choice. I was little bit fed up with all Sharpes and English victorious army. It was time to look at the other side. This novel follows seven French voltigeurs (skirmishers) through the later years of the Napoleonic wars and made it from glorious days to utter destruction of the Great Army. The characters are constantly developing trough the book a ...more
Chrisl
Among my long-time all-time favorites. Once again, the section devoted to the retreat from Moscow produces vivid images on the brutal insanity of war.

This is one of those books that Goodreads lists as first published in the 1970s. It was actually written in the late 1940s.

copied and pasted"KIRKUS REVIEW

A 1949 novel set in the period of the Napoleonic Wars, which the late author published in the salad days of the mainly masculine-oriented historical novels (Kenneth Roberts, Nordhoff & Hall)
John
Apr 29, 2009 John rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to John by: Mark Baker
This is one of my favorite books ever!!!!! The story of Napoleon's retreat from Russia.
Dwer
Historical novel of soldiers in Napoleonic France
Bill
(Read during High School)
Steve
Steve added it
Oct 24, 2014
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Donna
Donna added it
Aug 05, 2014
Conor Sheehan
Conor Sheehan marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Eric_W
Eric_W marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
KH
KH added it
May 09, 2014
Peter Bell
Peter Bell marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Ronald Frederick Delderfield (12 February 1912 – 24 June 1972) was a popular English novelist and dramatist, many of whose works have been adapted for television and are still widely read.

Several of Delderfield's historical novels and series involve young men who return from war and lead lives in England that allow the author to portray the sweep of English history and delve deeply into social his
More about R.F. Delderfield...
God Is an Englishman (Swann Saga, #1) To Serve Them All My Days Theirs Was the Kingdom (Swann Saga, #2) Give Us This Day (Swann Saga, #3) Green Gauntlet