Start by marking “Monument to the Dead (Museum, #4)” as Want to Read:
Monument to the Dead (Museum, #4)

Monument to the Dead (Museum #4)

As president of the Pennsylvania Antiquarian Society in Philadelphia, Nell Pratt relies on the generosity of philanthropists. But when someone starts killing benefactors, it’s Nell’s turn to come to their aid…

When Nell reads the obituary of a former board member, Adeline Harrison, she makes a mental note to send flowers and doesn’t think twice about it—until FBI agent Jame
Published June 4th 2013 by Berkley

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Dec 28, 2013 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth book in the 'A Museum Mystery' series and I have found that I truly do like it! The mystery always seems straight forward and then, the clever, Ms. Connolly throws in a twist and you find yourself shocked into thinking, 'I thought there was something about...'

FBI Agent James Morrison comes to Nell Pratt, President of the Pennsylvania Antiquarian Society, and his love interest to do some background sleuthing when he feels there is a possibility that a Board member has been murd
Doward Wilson
Sep 01, 2016 Doward Wilson rated it it was amazing
Nell is busy running the Pennsylvania Antiquarian S0ciety in Philadelphia but when her FBI boyfriend, James comes to her with his theory that someone is murdering elderly philanthropists in the local community. Working together with family, friends and staff they uncover more suspicious deaths that all revolve a small and obscure local trust. This is another fascinating, well plotted mystery with characters and settings that will pull you in and keep you turning the pages. Enjoy touring ...more
Grey853
Jun 15, 2013 Grey853 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
I think I'm pretty much finished with this series. I found myself skimming and that's never a good sign.

I found the main character annoying. The fact that her first thought when she read the obituary of an elderly ex-trustee for her museum was whether she'd leave them anything pretty much said what kind of person she is. It just seemed very predatory and selfish.

I found the plot unbelievable and repetitive.

Edith Maxwell
Jul 24, 2013 Edith Maxwell rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Loved the latest Museum mystery! Bodies keep falling and the FBI isn't interested in pursuing the case, even though Nell's beau is. Sheila Connolly weaves another great tale of suspense and smart intrigue.
Sheri Jesse
Oct 13, 2016 Sheri Jesse rated it it was amazing
Quick, easy read. I need more of Nell and James. I love this series!!! In this story, Nell is involved in solving another murder. The difference is that James brought the incident to Nell instead of her stumbling into the murder. It turns out that someone is murdering members of the Forrest Trust but there's not enough evidence for the FBI to investigate so he asks Nell (and Marty) for help. In the process James and Nell grow closer a nd the "L" word actually comes up. I'm heading to the library ...more
ashley
Oct 26, 2016 ashley rated it liked it
Shelves: meh, 2016
Not my favorite in the series. Writing is getting stale.
Ellen
Jul 17, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy

Monument to the Dead (A MUSEUM MYSTERY)

Monument to the Dead (A MUSEUM MYSTERY)
Offered by Penguin Publishing
Price: $7.59

2 used & new from $7.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Interestingly smooth, July 17, 2013

This review is from: Monument to the Dead (A MUSEUM MYSTERY) ("Monument to the Dead" is the 4th in the Museum Mystery series. I've all 4 as well as the short stories.

Main Characters:

Eleanor "Nell" Pratt: President of the Pennsylvania Antiquarian Society.

James "Jimmie" Morrison: FBI agent, Nel
Penny McGill
Jun 14, 2014 Penny McGill rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy
Pretty great reading for a book that contains the deaths of 4 or 5 people! I really like the atmosphere of these books. The museums, markets, restaurants and coffee shops In the same way that New York City often seems like a character in a book, the Museum Mysteries series allows Philadelphia play a strong role and it is very enjoyable. It makes you feel like you get a mini vacation while you read. Bonus.

Nell is strong and fascinating. She is clever and thoughtful in her actions and this informs
Lis Carey
Mar 28, 2016 Lis Carey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nell Pratt is the president of the Philadelphia Antiquarian Society, an institution which has been having some interesting times lately--this being volume four in a mystery series. But surely thingss have quieted down now. Crises are resolved, Nell is dating FBI Special Agent James Morrison, and the Society has a large stash of possibly stolen documents it is sorting and cataloging for the FBI. And on her train ride in to work one morning, Nell reads the obituary of a former Society board ...more
Suspense Magazine
Jul 23, 2014 Suspense Magazine rated it really liked it
In “Monument to the Dead,” the third in New York Times bestselling author Sheila Connolly’s Museum Mystery series, Philadelphia non-profit executive Nell Pratt’s fundraising skills are once again taking a back seat to her sleuthing skills. As president of the Pennsylvania Antiquarian Society, Nell is very tuned in to the local philanthropic scene. When she reads the obituary of a former Society board member, she makes a mental note to send flowers, but doesn’t think anything more about it. Until ...more
LORI CASWELL
Jan 16, 2016 LORI CASWELL rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
The fourth book in the Museum Mystery series has FBI Agent James Morrison asking Nell for some help. Some local members of the cultural community have been dying of “natural causes,” but with the recent death of Adeline Harrison James has started to see a pattern that makes him believe the causes were definitely not “natural” . So with James’ blessing she starts to pull clues together and finds even more deaths for him to add to his list. Someone is killing elderly philanthropists, but who and ...more
Cris
Feb 14, 2014 Cris rated it it was ok
I spent most of Monument to the Dead annoyed with Connolly who spent most of the book hedging on whether there actually was a crime/mystery for her characters to solve. Connolly's tack *works* to a certain extent because Nell is an amateur detective.

One of the problems with a mystery series featuring an amateur detective is creating situations in which the reader finds the character's involvement with the mystery to be believable and realistic. Connolly managed that by casting doubt on whether i
Fred
Jun 11, 2013 Fred rated it it was amazing
Monument To Death is the 4th book in the A Museum Mystery series.

I love all of Connolly's books and this is no exception. She does such a wonderful job of not only telling a story, but educating the reader about behind the scenes workings with which that series deals. In the case of this series, it is what goes on in a historical museum.

Nell notices an obituary for a former Society board member, Adeline Harrison, since Harrison was up in years, Nell didn't give it a second thought, but made a me
Thomas Bruso
Jun 09, 2016 Thomas Bruso rated it really liked it
Nell Pratt, president of the Pennsylvania Antiquarian Society, balances her time between raising funds for the museum and working against the clock to help find a cold-blooded killer in Sheila Connolly’s absorbing fourth Museum Mystery, “Monument to the Dead.”

Nell and her FBI boyfriend, agent James Morrison, rely on the generous help of the museum’s board members and Nell's co-workers to track down a serial killer who is murdering the museum’s benefactors.

As Nell digs deep into the victims’ past
Argum
Feb 07, 2015 Argum rated it it was amazing
The fourth museum mystery sees Nell exploring the history of America's first acting superstar. A former board member dies, sad but she was elderly. Until James calls and says it sounds like another death of an elderly society member. Nell, Shelby, and Marty dig in to find out if there is more than coincidence working while James tries to get the FBI to pay attention to his hunch. The girls all work together and the museum keeps on humming around them with a project for the Water Works along with ...more
Liz
Aug 29, 2013 Liz rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read, mystery
I think this book is an anomaly for Sheila Connolly books. I found it very hard to get interested in the beginning. It moved very slowly and I figured out the murderer very early in the book. I did not know the reason's for the murders, but I knew who was doing them. It did not seem to move forward until almost a third of the way into the book. I was determined not to give up, because I had like the previous books in this series. In the end, I liked the reasoning behind the murders, how it took ...more
Debbie Heaton
Jun 06, 2013 Debbie Heaton rated it it was amazing
In Connolly’s mystery novel, Nell Pratt, president of the Pennsylvania Society, reads the obituary of a former board member only to discover later that FBI agent James Morrison suspects’ foul play. Unable to convince the FBI to open the case, Morrison enlists Nell and several others to “unofficially” investigate on his behalf. Nell quickly discovers what appears to be a plot to eliminate several elderly philanthropists. Morrison and Nell team together to pursue the leads and find a killer before ...more
Susan
Nov 10, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Museum director Nell Pratt expects some of her board members and benefactors to die--just because they are usually up there in years. But her boyfriend, FBI investigator James Morrison, thinks that some of them are dying before their time. As he, Nell, and his cousin Marty look into some recent deaths, they become convinced that there's a very unusual serial killer out there. But they can't find enough evidence to convince anyone else to investigate, nor can they find a motive for the crimes.
Betty
Jan 26, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery, FBI, Serial Killers, trusts
Shelves: e-books
Sheila Connolly's books are interesting and informative. In this one we see the FBI in a positive role, learn about serial killers and what happens when a trust no longer serve the purpose it was,set up to serve. There are aspects to distribute and where they go. James and Nell along with Marty and Shelby
work together to find the reason several elderly board members have died. Their deaths have been ruled from natural causes. The ending is a little different. I await her next book.
Glenn Harris
Jun 07, 2013 Glenn Harris rated it really liked it
Nell Pratt is president of the Pennsylvania Antiquarian Society in Philadelphia and, as such, depends on the financial generosity of benefactors to run her museum. Now it appears that someone is killing those very people, so subtly that law enforcement won't recognize there's a serial killer out there. But Nell and her FBI agent boyfriend can see it--so it's up to them to stop it.
Paula
Jul 20, 2013 Paula rated it liked it
I looked forward to this book, having read all the previous ones in the series. And it didn't disappoint. It was a good mystery, though in this case, I did suspect the culprit from early on in the book. I do like the cast of characters in this series, though, and hope to see them again soon in the next installment.
Linda
Jan 26, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
THE GOOD: Interesting plot line and solving of the mystery. Good characters and romantic subplot. Intelligent writing with lots to learn about museums and their workings as well as Philadelphia lore. Some accurate history lessons also a part of the story. Satisfying ending.

THE NOT SO GOOD: Plot moves along slowly. Too much repetition and rehashing of clues over and over.
Daniele
Sep 09, 2013 Daniele rated it liked it
This is an improvement over the previous book in the series, Fire Engine Dead. It was a bit slow to get going, and there never was much suspense, but it proved to be a logically laid out cozy. The premise of the mystery was good, but I did guess who and why pretty early on.
Cindy Loving
Feb 02, 2016 Cindy Loving rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Sheila Connolly. I was so sure I knew who the killer was about halfway through the book that when Nell figures out who it is, I decided that she was throwing in a red herring. Highly recommend, but the series does need to be read in order.
Stacy
Aug 24, 2014 Stacy rated it really liked it
I read over 100 of these cozy mysteries per year. I almost always know exactly where the plot will go and who the villain is. But this time, I picked the wrong killer! I never do that. That bumps this up to four stars instead of three.
Maura
Jun 20, 2013 Maura rated it liked it
This series is my favorite of the several that Sheila Connolly writes. Once again Nell Pratt Gets mixed up in nefarious doings of an historical nature. It's a page-turner and as usual an entertaining read.
Beth L.
Jan 16, 2016 Beth L. rated it really liked it
So far I have enjoyed all of this particular series, about the Philadelphia Historical Museum. This was no exception. I like a story that has suspense and you feel like you might actually learn a bit while reading it.
Christina
Mar 17, 2015 Christina rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Bizarre setting that was saturated with historical information but actually took place in modern day, making it hard to get into. The foreshadowing was a little too obvious so it made the book seem to move slowly. I've read better mystery novels, even the cheesy romance ones.
Robert
Dec 20, 2013 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: from-the-library
This is the fourth title in this series, and the first book from this author that I have read. Has a couple of interesting twists and plot lines. An enjoyable read. I would like to read the first title of this series.
Shirley
Feb 26, 2015 Shirley rated it really liked it
Immediately figured out who the villain must be based on author's general patterns. I've read better mysteries but enjoy for being quick and easy reads. Will read more because of that and characters are likable especially Marty.
  • Grace Takes Off (Manor House Mystery, #4)
  • The Quotient of Murder (Sophie Knowles #4)
  • Cover Story (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery, #3)
  • The Sayers Swindle (Book Collector Mystery #2)
  • Murder for the Halibut (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #3)
  • Every Trick in the Book (Novel Idea, #2)
  • Mayhem at the Orient Express (League of Literary Ladies, #1)
  • Poisoned Prose (A Books by the Bay Mystery #5)
  • Read It and Weep (Library Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • The Diva Frosts a Cupcake (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #7)
  • Death al Dente (Food Lovers' Village Mystery, #1)
  • A Custom-Fit Crime (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #4)
  • Angora Alibi (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #7)
  • A Deal to Die For (Good Buy Girls, #2)
  • Lethal Treasure (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #8)
  • Poisoned Politics (A Molly Malone Mystery, #2)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Not the Killing Type (Booktown Mystery, #7)
Sheila Connolly has taught art history, structured and marketed municipal bonds for major cities, worked as a staff member on two statewide political campaigns, and served as a fundraiser for several non-profit organizations. She also managed her own consulting company providing genealogical research services. Now a full-time writer, she thinks writing mysteries is a lot more fun than any of her ...more
More about Sheila Connolly...

Museum (7 books)
  • Fundraising the Dead (Museum, #1)
  • Let's Play Dead (Museum, #2)
  • Fire Engine Dead (Museum, #3)
  • Razing the Dead (Museum, #5)
  • Privy to the Dead (Museum #6)
  • Dead End Street (Museum #7)